Independent Scheduling | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mr. Aresco? Are you not mad?
I don't care about the AAC. I care about a crap schedule that was driven by an incompetent athletic department. It's a joke schedule and saying it was necessary to have such a terrible schedule as a condition to join the NBE is saying that UConn must have incompetent leadership.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't care about the AAC. I care about a crap schedule that was driven by an incompetent athletic department. It's a joke schedule and saying it was necessary to have such a terrible schedule as a condition to join the NBE is saying that UConn must have incompetent leadership.

It is a good schedule considering the late leaving of the AAC because the contract wasn't the best for UConn as a whole.
Football has to suffer some, but this is a solid schedule and we will see more Power Five schools going forward.
UConn will always play a FCS school just like every other FBS school does.

Reaction Score
It is a good schedule considering the late leaving of the AAC because the contract wasn't the best for UConn as a whole.
Football has to suffer some, but this is a solid schedule and we will see more Power Five schools going forward.
UConn will always play a FCS school just like every other FBS school does.

It's not true that every FBS school plays an FCS school -- the majority of the B1G doesn't play FCS schools, as an example. But setting that aside, I don't think 2020 is "solid". It may be "the best UConn could have done", but it's still crap.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Ran very quick numbers via compughterratings:

2019 Average Opponent: Ranked 122
2020 Average Opponent: Ranked 125

Next year's schedule is a little bit weaker than this year's schedule. But almost half of next year's schedule has P5 exposure, which is good for recruiting. Even better, a weaker schedule + greater P5 exposure potentially provides the illusion of improvement.

To actually get better, we first must craft the illusion that we are getting better.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, and Navy are not average. Currently 3 top 25 teams, and one in the top 30. The 2020 schedule has 1 top 30 team - #27 UVA, with 5 fringe FBS / FCS schools. The UConn 2020 schedule is not composed of average teams. It is composed of crap teams.

I couldn’t care less about playing ranked teams I barely care about. Playing lesser P5 teams gives more exposure than ranked AAC teams. Not to mention a road game at West Point trumps any road trip we’ve had in years.
On top of that, playing lesser teams gives the program a chance to get some W’s, more wins creates more interest by the common fan, regardless of who those wins come against. It’s ironic that this schedule to you is a negative for the program while not realizing if we had a schedule that passed your “eye” test next year with more attractive names it would be more detrimental to the program when we end up with one win.

Reaction Score
I am not trolling. IMO it's a big step backwards in quality and name reconition. There's 1 more P5 school (and not a big football name in UVA), and one interesting matchup with Army. The rest of the schedule is a worse. There's a reasonable chance UConn plays zero ranked teams.

It's not clear to me why folks think ECU and SMU are bad games but Liberty, ODU, MTSU, are "better". They are not.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, and Navy are not average. Currently 3 top 25 teams, and one in the top 30. The 2020 schedule has 1 top 30 team - #27 UVA, with 5 fringe FBS / FCS schools. The UConn 2020 schedule is not composed of average teams. It is composed of crap teams.
I am not trolling. IMO it's a big step backwards in quality and name reconition. There's 1 more P5 school (and not a big football name in UVA), and one interesting matchup with Army. The rest of the schedule is a worse. There's a reasonable chance UConn plays zero ranked teams.

It's not clear to me why folks think ECU and SMU are bad games but Liberty, ODU, MTSU, are "better". They are not.

You clearly don't have clue. No one cared about SMU, Memphis, or Navy in spite of them having a good year.

We play Army, same a Navy most years. We play 5 P5 opponents for an opportunity to become relevant again. That wasn't happening in the AAC unless you go undefeated for three years. (UCF did it for 2 and got zip).

The other games are the other games, just as they've always been.

Thank you for your interest in UConn Football.

Reaction Score
The answer to winning more games isn't paying a worse schedule. It's paying more for coaches and investing in faciltiies. I'd like to see a list of programs that went down in conference affliation and were better 5 years later.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The answer to winning more games isn't paying a worse schedule. It's paying more for coaches and investing in faciltiies. I'd like to see a list of programs that went down in conference affliation and were better 5 years later.

Which wasn't coming from the AAC deal where more than half the games embargoed on ESPN3. Leave this to people who know better than you. UConn is controlling its own destiny to the extent that they can. There was no future in the AAC for either FB or the rest of the AD.

Reaction Score

For next year it is the formula. Gives the kids experience and more importantly confidence if they can hang with and beat teams.

No one is saying this will be the template schedule for every season going forward, but for being as last minute as it was the fact they aren’t playing 3 FCS teams is nothing short of a miracle.

Reaction Score

The road schedule looks good with games against competitive P5 teams. The home schedule looks horrible. Probably the worst since 2002. But it'll provide an opportunity to get six wins. If Randy is still around, it would be surprising if season tickets increased next year.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I am not trolling. IMO it's a big step backwards in quality and name reconition. There's 1 more P5 school (and not a big football name in UVA), and one interesting matchup with Army.

LOL. Walk me through who you think the 3 P5 teams on the schedule are.

Reaction Score

You are absolutely clueless.

Oh no!

UConn may play ZERO ranked teams!

Darn it. Instead of losing 56-10 or 48-3 maybe we...gasp...actually win some games?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How do you dislike on a tablet?

Reaction Score
I’m watching USF v UCF. It’s damn good football. They’re gonna get less than $7m for the next 13 years including FB & BB etc. and for UCONN, that meant our WBB.

I don’t care whether you want to dismiss ODU or Middle Tennessee, we needed to reenergize our fan base. That starts with hoop. And $. It’s a GREAT schedule considering the obstacles. The Team will be challenged. And ... you’re wrong on one front: UMass is more important to us building football than playing Tulane or Tulsa or Houston could ever be.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Getting eyes in North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Ole Miss and playing Army. None of the AAC schools have the same amount of viewers as those schools about especially UNC, UV, Ole Miss and Army.
All of those teams have bigger viewing bases and every area but Mississippi is an area UConn recruits in.

Reaction Score
I was originally against this move but the schedule isn't as odorous as I thought it would be. Only one FCS school on the schedule was a minor miracle so good job admin Dave. The only reservation I have about independence is the bowl chances. That's the goal of every Div 1 program. Making a bowl game. That's how everyone gauges the success of their season. Did we make it to a bowl game?

I believe the jury will be out on this move till the money gets counted. Will UConn make more combined than they would have by staying in the AAC? What does the future hold for both the AAC and the Big East TV revenue wise? You can't just look a couple years up the road. Will the San Jose St, Middle Tenn St, Liberty, Maine and ODU games eventually fade away being replaced by teams more like BYU, Notre Dame, MAC, MW and AAC?

As much as some could care less about playing AAC teams I could care even less about playing Creighton, De Paul, Marquette, Xavier and Butler. At least in the AAC you had some cool destinations to road trip to. But the money will do the eventual talking as far as whether this was a good move or not. And I'm not talking about the next few years but the next decade or two.

Reaction Score
who cares about making a bowl game . the big one we'll never be eligible it ie reserved for a choice of 6-8 of the same teams every year. the other 6 again reserved for the same 16-20 teams plus 1 ONE team not in the chosen leagues. the rest 50% of the remaining schools will get o toilet bowl game and lose $$$ going to it. Hardly worth the effort

Reaction Score
As much as some could care less about playing AAC teams I could care even less about playing Creighton, De Paul, Marquette, Xavier and Butler. At least in the AAC you had some cool destinations to road trip to.

I don’t understand why people keep saying this. Those schools you listed are good programs that people care about. DePaul is the weakest but they are having a good season so far and can be turning things around.

If you think ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, USF are the same as Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Butler then you don’t pay attention to college basketball.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why people keep saying this. Those schools you listed are good programs that people care about. DePaul is the weakest but they are having a good season so far and can be turning things around.

If you think ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, USF are the same as Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Butler then you don’t pay attention to college basketball.

I mean by the same token, if you think MTSU, San Jose St., Liberty, and ODU are the same as Memphis, Houston, UCF, and Cincy then you don't pay attention to college football.

Basketball fans hated the move to the American and blamed it for the teams downturn (I'd argue it was more an Ollie problem than a conference problem), similarly football fans (how few remain) hate the move to the Big East as it appears to clearly de-emphasize football.

In the end it is what it is.. both conferences are in the second tier revenue-wise to the major players. The American signed a TV deal that was too long. The conference didn't inspire some major donors on the hoops side. Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, if football can sustain at the FBS-level and basketball thrives, with profit (not necessarily revenue) eclipsing the schools in the American than it's a plus move; and will probably inspire a number of copy-cats, ultimately allowing for a better football scheduling and basketball conferences that make more sense.

Reaction Score
who cares about making a bowl game . the big one we'll never be eligible it ie reserved for a choice of 6-8 of the same teams every year. the other 6 again reserved for the same 16-20 teams plus 1 ONE team not in the chosen leagues. the rest 50% of the remaining schools will get o toilet bowl game and lose $$$ going to it. Hardly worth the effort
You may not care about a bowl game but trust me the players and recruits care very much. It's they're season not yours. And if you notice the teams going to bowl games are the ones getting the recruits worth getting, not the leftovers and overlooked.

Reaction Score
I mean by the same token, if you think MTSU, San Jose St., Liberty, and ODU are the same as Memphis, Houston, UCF, and Cincy then you don't pay attention to college football.

Basketball fans hated the move to the American and blamed it for the teams downturn (I'd argue it was more an Ollie problem than a conference problem), similarly football fans (how few remain) hate the move to the Big East as it appears to clearly de-emphasize football.

In the end it is what it is.. both conferences are in the second tier revenue-wise to the major players. The American signed a TV deal that was too long. The conference didn't inspire some major donors on the hoops side. Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, if football can sustain at the FBS-level and basketball thrives, with profit (not necessarily revenue) eclipsing the schools in the American than it's a plus move; and will probably inspire a number of copy-cats, ultimately allowing for a better football scheduling and basketball conferences that make more sense.

Fair about the football schedule. I would never say it's equal or better than what they have but I've seen people have here.

However, I would blame the AAC for the down fall of this program. Bad hires have set us back in both sports but it's very clear people don't care about the competition in the AAC. Sure the die hards will show up and watch UConn play anyone but the casual/non-diehard fan didn't care. And the TV deal/coverage is garbage.

Whats going to be interesting going forward is how many season tickets they sell for football. Basketball will thrive with the new move but how will they market football? IMO they are going to have to make major changes in prices and give people incentives to buy in.

Reaction Score

Are you going to travel to Nebraska, Wisconsin or Indiana during the winter? I wanted to check out a Houston/UConn game and at the same time visit NASA HQ(in Houston). And thought it would be fun to catch a Dallas Cowboys game and a SMU/UConn contest in the same weekend. Or visit New Orleans and catch a UConn game in the same trip. Or one of the two Florida destinations. Not now. Now we can anticipate visiting such vacation hotbeds as Providence, South Orange, Omaha, Lincoln Park, Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom