Independent Scheduling | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I think this is exactly what is happening. You go to both schools and make a deal to play both. Then for the “ return game” they you do it in an out year which works for everyone. When we played Iowa State it was in 2002 the return wasn’t until 2010 I think. Or there might not be a return game. In order to get this done we might just do a road game with one of the teams that had been away. Now they get an extra home game. It isn’t easy but it isn’t the Normandy Invasion either

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
SEC school agrees to leave the South for true road game is pretty amazing given how cowardly they schedule.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment (and possible insight as to timing of future schedule release).

From a OwlsDaily conversation w/ Temple AD Pat Kraft and AAC Associate Commissioner Scott Draper.

>>“We publish our schedule in February, so we’ve got some time,” Draper said. “We’ve got a meeting with our athletic directors in November where we’ll lay out and make decisions at that time. Since [UConn’s announcement], we’ve done some work, but we haven’t gathered as a group, the entire AD group, to go through it all.”<<

>>Beyond the team rotation, Kraft noted that an 11-member league will typically feature five conference games on weekends in October and November. So there will always be one team either needing a non-conference game or getting a bye week.

And since a bye week is considered such a competitive advantage in that team’s next game, especially late in the season, the AAC is going to need to find some late-season non-conference opponents. Those are hard to come by since every other FBS league is busy with conference play in November.

That’s where UConn and other independent teams or FCS teams might come in handy.

Kraft said that Temple and UConn are mutually interested in continuing their football and men’s basketball series beyond UConn’s departure from the AAC. But nothing will be finalized until the league settles on its scheduling formula – and the available November dates become more clear.<<

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Interesting comment (and possible insight as to timing of future schedule release).

From a OwlsDaily conversation w/ Temple AD Pat Kraft and AAC Associate Commissioner Scott Draper.

>>“We publish our schedule in February, so we’ve got some time,” Draper said. “We’ve got a meeting with our athletic directors in November where we’ll lay out and make decisions at that time. Since [UConn’s announcement], we’ve done some work, but we haven’t gathered as a group, the entire AD group, to go through it all.”<<

>>Beyond the team rotation, Kraft noted that an 11-member league will typically feature five conference games on weekends in October and November. So there will always be one team either needing a non-conference game or getting a bye week.

And since a bye week is considered such a competitive advantage in that team’s next game, especially late in the season, the AAC is going to need to find some late-season non-conference opponents. Those are hard to come by since every other FBS league is busy with conference play in November.

That’s where UConn and other independent teams or FCS teams might come in handy.

Kraft said that Temple and UConn are mutually interested in continuing their football and men’s basketball series beyond UConn’s departure from the AAC. But nothing will be finalized until the league settles on its scheduling formula – and the available November dates become more clear.<<
Wow. That’s great news.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This has become like the Key Tweets CR Thread. My heart flutters a bit each time it gets bumped.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Blue Dogs said it in a previous posting when AD Dave comes out from hiding. Early to mid hoop season to announce shutting down or downgrading FB.
I hope to hell not, but the silence and 4 games point to it.

Reaction Score
Blue Dogs said it in a previous posting when AD Dave comes out from hiding. Early to mid hoop season to announce shutting down or downgrading FB.

The pattern is pretty consistent when he does this:
  • Went dark when he was working on firing Diaco and hiring Edsall
  • Went dark when he fired Ollie and worked on getting Hurley
  • Been dark since move to Big East was official i.e. probably spending all his efforts on scheduling FB for 2020 and beyond.
I would rather him spend his time working on making critical moves like the above. At the same time, probably would not hurt or is not terribly difficult to some himself or have a low level staffer have some direct communication with fans so they are not in the dark.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised. And I would not be surprised if Edsall has already been told.

Reaction Score
The pattern is pretty consistent when he does this:
  • Went dark when he was working on firing Diaco and hiring Edsall
  • Went dark when he fired Ollie and worked on getting Hurley
  • Been dark since move to Big East was official i.e. probably spending all his efforts on scheduling FB for 2020 and beyond.
I would rather him spend his time working on making critical moves like the above. At the same time, probably would not hurt or is not terribly difficult to some himself or have a low level staffer have some direct communication with fans so they are not in the dark.
He could fire Edsall and assume the coaching duties himself. It's happened before with an AD doing that. Or he brings in John Dunn as the new head coach.

Reaction Score
Downgrading is out of the question. The only out is to shut it down completely, which I don't see happening, but who knows.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Downgrading is out of the question. The only out is to shut it down completely, which I don't see happening, but who knows.

That is not going to happen. Not sure how most of you don't see that. They have way to much invested into football and it would look bad nationwide. It is not happening. I wish people would drop the stupidity once and for all.

Reaction Score
That is not going to happen. Not sure how most of you don't see that. They have way to much invested into football and it would look bad nationwide. It is not happening. I wish people would drop the stupidity once and for all.
Only reason I posted that is the fact that downgrading to FCS loses more money in the long run than staying FBS. Maybe a lot more.

Reaction Score
The new Prez isn’t shutting down the football program. He’s looking forward to bowl games.
If that's the case then we're staying as an FBS independent for the foreseeable future. Downgrading is out of the question because dropping down to FCS loses more money in the long run than staying FBS. Maybe a lot more.

Reaction Score
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but with all the talk about shutting down football I would be surprised...

Those that talk about shutting things down don't seem to understand the ramifications that would have across the whole athletic department. It would essentially mean shutting down half a dozen women's teams as well.

FBS football allows for 85 scholarship players - women's lacrosse, volleyball, and Field hockey are all allowed 12 a piece and women's rowing gets 20 so 56 total. Still short 29 scholarships. They would be cut from other sports losing any and all advantage.

So maybe the university adds mens sports to counter balance...well the only thing they can add are lacrosse and volleyball which would add up to only about 18 scholarships. Toss in wrestling for good measure to get another 10. The math doesn't work.

Why? Because most all women's sports get more scholarships per team to balance out the 85 that FBS football gets.

Maybe we drop down to FCS and only lose 22 scholarships because FCS is limited to 63. So I guess we just go down and get rid of rowing?

So many people just crying about the program getting shut down and not taking a minute to stop and think about the ripple effect that that would have through the athletics department.

Reaction Score
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but with all the talk about shutting down football I would be surprised...

Those that talk about shutting things down don't seem to understand the ramifications that would have across the whole athletic department. It would essentially mean shutting down half a dozen women's teams as well.

FBS football allows for 85 scholarship players - women's lacrosse, volleyball, and Field hockey are all allowed 12 a piece and women's rowing gets 20 so 56 total. Still short 29 scholarships. They would be cut from other sports losing any and all advantage.

So maybe the university adds mens sports to counter balance...well the only thing they can add are lacrosse and volleyball which would add up to only about 18 scholarships. Toss in wrestling for good measure to get another 10. The math doesn't work.

Why? Because most all women's sports get more scholarships per team to balance out the 85 that FBS football gets.

Maybe we drop down to FCS and only lose 22 scholarships because FCS is limited to 63. So I guess we just go down and get rid of rowing?

So many people just crying about the program getting shut down and not taking a minute to stop and think about the ripple effect that that would have through the athletics department.

Title IX just ensures that men and women are fairly balanced (i.e. you can't have more men's than women's teams.) The opposite is not true. Dropping football does not affect the number of scholarships you can offer to women's teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom