Independent Scheduling | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The pattern is pretty consistent when he does this:
  • Went dark when he was working on firing Diaco and hiring Edsall
  • Went dark when he fired Ollie and worked on getting Hurley
  • Been dark since move to Big East was official i.e. probably spending all his efforts on scheduling FB for 2020 and beyond.
I would rather him spend his time working on making critical moves like the above. At the same time, probably would not hurt or is not terribly difficult to some himself or have a low level staffer have some direct communication with fans so they are not in the dark.
He goes so dark Ive been told he didnt even talk to Edsall for a couple of months prior to the Big East announcement.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Penn State would be a fun road trip, maybe a 2 for 1? Kent State would also be a good winnable home game. I’m down for both.

Reaction Score
Penn State would be a fun road trip, maybe a 2 for 1? Kent State would also be a good winnable home game.
In addition to Ped State now scheduled for 9/5/20, Kent State’s 2020 opponents include Bama and UK. Ca-ching!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting comment (and possible insight as to timing of future schedule release).

From a OwlsDaily conversation w/ Temple AD Pat Kraft and AAC Associate Commissioner Scott Draper.

>>“We publish our schedule in February, so we’ve got some time,” Draper said. “We’ve got a meeting with our athletic directors in November where we’ll lay out and make decisions at that time. Since [UConn’s announcement], we’ve done some work, but we haven’t gathered as a group, the entire AD group, to go through it all.”<<

>>Beyond the team rotation, Kraft noted that an 11-member league will typically feature five conference games on weekends in October and November. So there will always be one team either needing a non-conference game or getting a bye week.

And since a bye week is considered such a competitive advantage in that team’s next game, especially late in the season, the AAC is going to need to find some late-season non-conference opponents. Those are hard to come by since every other FBS league is busy with conference play in November.

That’s where UConn and other independent teams or FCS teams might come in handy.

Kraft said that Temple and UConn are mutually interested in continuing their football and men’s basketball series beyond UConn’s departure from the AAC. But nothing will be finalized until the league settles on its scheduling formula – and the available November dates become more clear.<<

The Championship game waiver (or not) impacts the number of non-conference games that teams will have the availability to play (ergo have room to schedule:

Reaction Score
The AAC has developed into a ridiculously good football conference. 7 teams getting votes in the coaches' poll. They'll get better in basketball over time.

Pro-Big East people think instant self gratification is the solution. Is what it is.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With Nebraska heading to Dublin in 2021, they have an open date. :)

You should go if you have a chance. I went to this is 2014. Spent 4 days in Dublin and 5 on the west coast. Awesome trip.

Reaction Score
How do they have an open date? 12 games scheduled.
Correct, Nebraska has zero available openings. 2 bye weeks, 7 H 4 A and 1 Dublin/Neutral = 12 games. Advantage Nebraska.

Instead of SE NE SW something something Louisiana agreeing to a late 2021 season game with the Cornhuskers, sure wish UConn would be in Lincoln.

TKs

Reaction Score
The Championship game waiver (or not) impacts the number of non-conference games that teams will have the availability to play (ergo have room to schedule:

Could the AAC & UConn be waiting on this decision before announcing schedules? If the waiver is denied perhaps the AAC keeps UConn on as football only member for a year or 2 to save Championship Game. This would give the AAC proper time to select 12th Conference member.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Could the AAC & UConn be waiting on this decision before announcing schedules? If the waiver is denied perhaps the AAC keeps UConn on as football only member for a year or 2 to save Championship Game. This would give the AAC proper time to select 12th Conference member.

This is crazy enough to make sense

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Can we move the UMass series to the first Saturday in December? This would open up an extra weekend for both teams in the future. As of now, we're down to very few D1 teams with openings. P5: VT, TCU, Texas Tech. G6- Air Force, ODU, So Miss & UAB. We may be able to convince fellow Indy, NM State to add a 13th game Thanksgiving weekend, since they do play Hawaii. Other teams that play Hawaii are Oregon, UCLA, Arizona. Pac10 teams want all their OOC games in September, though. As do the Big12 teams. We need to move Maine game. UMass has no byes in 2020. Basically, when word got out we were moving Independent, the UMass AD went to work and scheduled some great games. We may be playing 3 or 4 FCS teams in 2020. And expect most seasons with 5 home/7 away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems to make sense and easiest solution for all parties if the AAC can swallow some pride.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No it doesn't make sense for UConn to delay filling it's schedule. Where would that leave them if the waiver gets approved and they don't need UConn to make 12 for a year?

They only way this works is if they already agreed to keep UConn on the schedule for 2020 as either a confernce or non-conference game and the quiet is to avoid the NCAA stiffing the AAC on the waiver.

There could be a wrinkle to allow Indy UConn to swap out a game or two but that adds unnecessary uncertainty to a tight timeline as teams are filling in the last spots in their schedules.

Absent a standing agreement to keep 2020 as planned, UConn can't wait for the AAC.

Reaction Score
There is no plan for 2020 scheduling. I am amazed that it's just accepted. Someone should be fired for the mess.

Reaction Score
The AAC has developed into a ridiculously good football conference. 7 teams getting votes in the coaches' poll. They'll get better in basketball over time.

Pro-Big East people think instant self gratification is the solution. Is what it is.

ONE small problem ....

No one, ok maybe ECU and Tulane, actually want to be in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Aresco and Benedict have discussed this already. If the waiver is denied UConn football fills in for a year or two. I'm sure Aresco must have demanded in return that non conference basketball schedules for the men and women give the AAC preferential treatment. These waivers usually get approved so if it is denied that would certainly be a surprise. Aresco and Benedict seemed pretty chummy when they met in Rhode Island so even if the waiver is approved I can see UConn and the AAC cooperating on non Conference basketball and football schedules.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure Aresco and Benedict have discussed this already. If the waiver is denied UConn football fills in for a year or two. I'm sure Aresco must have demanded in return that non conference basketball schedules for the men and women give the AAC preferential treatment. These waivers usually get approved so if it is denied that would certainly be a surprise. Aresco and Benedict seemed pretty chummy when they met in Rhode Island so even if the waiver is approved I can see UConn and the AAC cooperating on non Conference basketball and football schedules.
There was a battle a few years back about totally deregulating how conferences determined championship game participants sponsored by the ACC and Big 12, but it failed and the compromise was to allow conferences with 10 teams that played a round robin schedule to hold a championship. The change in the ACC/Big 12 proposal was driven by the Big 10.

I don't the NCAA will give the AAC an unlimited waiver for holding a conference championship game with 11 teams and no clear plans to add a 12th. That is a rule change. If the AAC was going back to 12 teams in 2021 and requested a waiver for 2020 only, maybe they would get a one year waiver.

If the NCAA said they would give a waiver for one year, that means the AAC needs to add a team for 2021 and it is getting late. And, outside of BYU as a football only, who would you add?

I think the reason we have not heard boo on the 2020 schedule is that in some way it involves the AAC. Either UConn is playing in the AAC next year or playing a number of AAC teams OOC next year.

Honestly, for the AAC, staying at 11 for basketball is the right move as they can then move to a 20 game schedule like most conferences which would be a round robin. Keeping UConn as the 12th team for football makes sense as well. Sure, UConn football is down, but it is a brand and we can attract attractive OOC home games that increase the value of the TV contract. And, maybe ESPN will finally come through for UConn and pressure the AAC to keep UConn football. (We can hope!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul