Independent Scheduling | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get the one year sacrifice, but attendance in 2020 will be 3 people and a squirrel. Makes me believe there was zero plan for 2020.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I get the one year sacrifice, but attendance in 2020 will be 3 people and a squirrel. Makes me believe there was zero plan for 2020.
There isn’t, and wan’t. It’s insulting to the seat fee paying ticket holders. Even regular ticket holders. This AD is a tool. Don’t let the homers on here tell you otherwise.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Honestly, it makes total sense for all involved to just play our AAC schedule out in 2020. They all need a game too! I wonder if something along those lines is being worked out.

If that’s not the case, it will be bad. Honestly, chances are the schedule is actually made but it’s so bad they don’t want people to bail on this season so they are holding off on announcing it.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We are going to play at least 5 AAC teams this coming year. Too hard to reschedule for them as well. Will eventually have 2 or 3 on schedule each year.

Reaction Score
We are going to play at least 5 AAC teams this coming year. Too hard to reschedule for them as well. Will eventually have 2 or 3 on schedule each year.
Makes no sense. The AAC schools OOC schedules are full. The only way UConn plays AAC schools in 2020 is if we play one more year in the AAC which I think is a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
Their OOC schedules are not full. They are all missing 1 game due to the delay of UConn.

The AAC can't replace a conference game (UCONN's slot) with a non conference game (UCONN as an independent). They are combining the divisions and the one open slot made by UCONN's departure will be filled by another AAC team. It's an easy fix for the AAC, they don't need us at all nor can they schedule us.

It is possible that we are trying to negotiate keeping football in the AAC for 2020.

The powers that be at UCONN were really beyond stupid paying an extra 7 million to get out of the AAC one year early. It's mind boggling how idiotic that was unless there was a secret plan already in place for football, obviously there wasn't.

Fire everybody who thought getting into the Big East in 2020 was essential.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The AAC can't replace a conference game (UCONN's slot) with a non conference game (UCONN as an independent). They are combining the divisions and the one open slot made by UCONN's departure will be filled by another AAC team. It's an easy fix for the AAC, they don't need us at all nor can they schedule us.

It is possible that we are trying to negotiate keeping football in the AAC for 2020.
Oh lame

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The powers that be at UCONN were really beyond stupid paying an extra 7 million to get out of the AAC one year early. It's mind boggling how idiotic that was unless there was a secret plan already in place for football, obviously there wasn't.

I sorta don't disagree with this. There obviously was no plan in place. As far basketball recruiting would go, kids being recruited now would have only had to play 1 year in the American.

I get we wanted to capitalize on the buzz and sell some tickets, but the longer this drags out and the more 2020 slots that are filled, the more I think we're going to see UMass, at Illinois, Indiana, Maine, and then 8 games from FCS, and the lowest G5 if we're lucky.

Reaction Score

Getting into the Big East for 2020 was essential for the basketball program - and I’m glad they did it (as is nearly everyone else- this is not a hot take on my part).

I’m a UConn football fan too, but we are just going to have to accept that the program is second or third in the pecking order (or maybe even further down).

The first few schedules may be really bad, but I think they’ll be able to build decent schedules a couples years down the road.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Getting into the Big East for 2020 was essential for the basketball program - and I’m glad they did it (as is nearly everyone else- this is not a hot take on my part).

I’m a UConn football fan too, but we are just going to have to accept that the program is second or third in the pecking order (or maybe even further down).

The first few schedules may be really bad, but I think they’ll be able to build decent schedules a couples years down the road.
That may be so, but folks here are getting antsy. At least I am. The Courant stated today what we already know. We have only 4 games scheduled next year at present, 4 the year after. It’s assumed there is some finagling behind the scenes, in the dark. At least I hope so.

Reaction Score
I’m in the school that says the Big East move represented a retreat from the highest level of competition. But it is done so we need to move on. In a way a “schedule for success” approach for the next couple of years isn’t the worst plan out there. I don’t want to see what is essentially a 1aa schedule but something like the 2002-2003 wouldn’t be the worst outcome. The Illinois Indiana UMass Maine Liberty then a couple of MAC and/ or sunbelt teams, a service academy. Give the program a chance to reestsblish itself, make some progress. And of course we’ll have the ConFlict.

Reaction Score

Was NBE in 2020 the only option to get into the NBE or could 2021 have worked? That's the question. The assumption is that NBE in 2020 was the most optimal solution vs moving in 2021.

I can't see a path for 2020 that isn't 5 FCS teams or 7 road games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Was NBE in 2020 the only option to get into the NBE or could 2021 have worked? That's the question. The assumption is that NBE in 2020 was the most optimal solution vs moving in 2021.

I don't have a problem with 7 road games for a season.

Reaction Score

the need for 2020 was more to avoid the AAC contract mandates for spending and the NBE to negotiate their contract renewal

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with 7 road games for a season.

I don't see how UConn can schedule enough games in November even if they are all on the road against FCS teams. Slots are filled.

Buyout FCS games against the SEC and net pay to go on the road to get slaughtered? Not even sure there's enough available games to do that. Beg the AAC to schedule a few games? What will that cost?

I am not trying to be difficult but how can the schedule get filled with anyone?

Husky25

Reaction Score
the need for 2020 was more to avoid the AAC contract mandates for spending and the NBE to negotiate their contract renewal
The best of both worlds for UConn would be to leave mid-year. As the jilted party, the AAC as a conference has no incentive to meet UConn halfway. It's either stay the whole 27 months and abide by the media contract or get the [expletive] out now and pay us a bunch money.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't see how UConn can schedule enough games in November even if they are all on the road against FCS teams. Slots are filled.

Buyout FCS games against the SEC and net pay to go on the road to get slaughtered? Not even sure there's enough available games to do that. Beg the AAC to schedule a few games? What will that cost?

I am not trying to be difficult but how can the schedule get filled with anyone?
I was only commenting on what would be my choice of the two options you proposed. I don't know how they are going to put together a schedule and I'm glad it's not my job.

Reaction Score
This mighta been asked before but is there a rule on becoming bowl eligible with wins against a bunch of FCS teams?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Updated List of FBS Schools with 2020 Schedule Openings still:

Virginia Tech (1)

TCU (2)

Old Dominion (1)

Louisiana Tech (1)

Southern Miss (1)

UAB (1)

Air Force (1)

Also, should note I left out AAC Teams but technically UCF and SMU need one more OOC game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom