Independent Scheduling | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

The only word I have is there are current talks between both Liberty and UConn to get the Huskies on the Flames’ schedule in the near future. With slots still open in Liberty’s 2023 schedule, especially ones at home, it wouldn’t surprise me to see UConn added to that slate. It makes too much sense to not get the Huskies on the schedule then, especially as a fellow independent.

Reaction Score

The only word I have is there are current talks between both Liberty and UConn to get the Huskies on the Flames’ schedule in the near future. With slots still open in Liberty’s 2023 schedule, especially ones at home, it wouldn’t surprise me to see UConn added to that slate. It makes too much sense to not get the Huskies on the schedule then, especially as a fellow independent.
3-2-1...
Isn't that what most of us kind of expected/predicated? Not always going to be easy but Uconn has the potential to make this work long term, well, as long as they still exist as a fball team long term.

You know ... I find people who think they are supposedly superior extraordinarily boring. It’s the capacity to question; the capacity to grow that’s interesting.
?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know ... I find people who think they are supposedly superior extraordinarily boring. It’s the capacity to question; the capacity to grow that’s interesting.

Reaction Score
A tad off topic but relevant:

>>The six-year deal gives the New Mexico Bowl, which is owned by ESPN Events, the opportunity to select the Aggies should it be eligible for a bowl game whether or not the Mountain West or Conference USA fields enough teams for postseason play.

"We are happy to secure this agreement with New Mexico State and look forward to the possibility of hosting the Aggies and their fans," Siembieda said. "As the state's premier annual sports event, we feel it's important to create a path for New Mexico State and its fans to celebrate New Mexico and college football during the best time of the year."

In addition, the agreement gives NM State the opportunity play in a myriad of other bowl games owned by ESPN Events as well.

"We are excited to be able to include New Mexico State into our line-up of potential teams for the new term of the New Mexico Bowl as well other games," said Overby. "The Aggie fan base is passionate and we look forward to hosting them in Albuquerque."

Friday's announcement secured the postseason future for Aggie football as an independent after its current deal with the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl concludes at the end of the 2019 bowl season. The agreement also allows NM State play in a non ESPN Events owned bowl game should the Aggies be eligible and not be selected to any of the bowl games owned by ESPN Events.<<

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A tad off topic but relevant:

Interesting, so Liberty, New Mexico State both have bowl agreements in place. Obviously ND, BYU, and Army do as well but those are different animals completely.

Edit: The biggest argument against independence aside from scheduling was this bowl access issue. Even if UConn can finagle its way into some games that pretty much guarantees if were a 7 win team we'll have access to some game, I'll feel much better about the current state of affairs.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Interesting, so Liberty, New Mexico State both have bowl agreements in place. Obviously ND, BYU, and Army do as well but those are different animals completely.

Edit: The biggest argument against independence aside from scheduling was this bowl access issue. Even if UConn can finagle its way into some games that pretty much guarantees if were a 7 win team we'll have access to some game, I'll feel much better about the current state of affairs.

Paging Fenway Bowl

Reaction Score
I am most concerned about 2020. I don't see any path for it not to be really bad.

Reaction Score
I am most concerned about 2020. I don't see any path for it not to be really bad.
It will be. It's a one year sacrifice. The AAC thing just wasn't a thing for us in either sport because the fans that don't Boneyard, were never going to buy in. That's like 95 percent of the fanbase.

We will have to carve out our own path. I don't think it hurts us in future realignment if there is any.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It will be. It's a one year sacrifice. The AAC thing just wasn't a thing for us in either sport because the fans that don't Boneyard, were never going to buy in. That's like 95 percent of the fanbase.

We will have to carve out our own path. I don't think it hurts us in future realignment if there is any.
Don’t disagree. Would like AD Dave released from witness protection for at least a statement on next year, however.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NMSU has been bowl eligible once since 2002. The premier sporting event in New Mexico may be waiting on their participation for a while.

Reaction Score
Interesting how NMSU got a bowl deal with ESPN considering their primary TV deal is with Fox Sports Arizona.

Reaction Score
Florida football reportedly adding Utah home-and-home series for 2022-23

Upcoming nonconference regular-season games

2019: vs. Miami (Orlando), vs. UT Martin, vs. Towson, vs. Florida State
2020: vs. Eastern Washington, vs. Southern Alabama, vs. New Mexico State, at Florida State
2021: vs. Samford, at South Florida, vs. Florida State
2022: vs. South Florida, vs. Utah, at Florida State
2023: vs. Charlotte, at Utah, vs. Florida State
2024: at Florida State
2025: vs. South Florida, vs. Florida State
2026: at Florida State
2027: vs. Florida State
2028: vs. Colorado, at Florida State
2029: at Colorado, vs. Florida State
2030: vs. Texas, at Florida State
2031: at Texas, vs. Florida State

Based on the current future schedule, the Gators would likely welcome Power Five teams to The Swamp in 2024 and 2026, while they would head on the road for such games in 2025 and 2027.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NMSU has been bowl eligible once since 2002. The premier sporting event in New Mexico may be waiting on their participation for a while.

Details. It's not like they're not "periodically" eligible.
Edsall would just say they need to be more "consistent".

Reaction Score
Edsall UCF Press Conference:

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault just now
Edsall says the Huskies have had discussions with UCF, and other AAC schools, about continuing series.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1m
Edsall on playing AAC programs in the future: "We’ve had discussions with UCF. And there are some teams from the AAC we still want to play because it makes sense what we want to do from a recruiting standpoint."

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Edsall UCF Press Conference:

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault just now
Edsall says the Huskies have had discussions with UCF, and other AAC schools, about continuing series.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 1m
Edsall on playing AAC programs in the future: "We’ve had discussions with UCF. And there are some teams from the AAC we still want to play because it makes sense what we want to do from a recruiting standpoint."

Based off the last few classes I’d say those teams are:

Temple
Navy
ECU
UCF
USF
Houston
SMU

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reading between the lines, if the speech pattern on the other end of the line only resembles laughter, I'm not so sure that can be classified as a practical discussion.

I hope that is not the case, but fear it might be.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Temple's OOC is actually pretty fantastic over the next few years. They only really open up in 2024-2028. Some prior years have 1 opening but I'm guessing that will be for FCS.

Temple has home/homes with Oklahoma, Miami, Penn State, Rutgers, BC, Georgia Tech, Duke

Reaction Score
In a weird way a weak 2020 schedule may be beneficial to the program to find a winning way heading into independence against some strong teams. For the fans it may not be fun to watch them play weaker FBS and FCS competition but if it gives them a winning record going into what should be a no excuse year for Edsall maybe it’s not a bad thing. On the flip side if they come out of that season with a losing record it will be a disaster.

Reaction Score
amazing that we have gone this far without a single 2020 deal announced. No rumors or anything. Makes me wonder if maybe we are having a private discussion with the MAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom