Independent Scheduling | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think what Shizz is over looking is the limitation other programs have with their OOC scheduling. The P5 (and G5) schools have just 3 OOC games to book per annum after they schedule their annual FCS cupcake game. I think very few P5 schools will want to allocate one of those precious OOC slots to us more than say 2 - 4 times per decade.

I would be stunned if we managed to get a schedule with more than five P5 games per year regularly.

We have a lot of calendar to fill.

1-FCS
5-P5 (two home / three away)
1-AAC
2-Indy
3-from balance of G5
I think 5 is ambitious. More like 3 to 4 tops. Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 FCS games in the near term either.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1-FCS
5-P5 (two home / three away)
1-AAC
2-Indy
3-from balance of G5

I would be shocked if New Mexico State, Liberty, UMass, Army aren't on the schedule most years. I even suggested playing UMass twice over some random C-USA team.

That's 5 Indy games (if UMass x2), plus 1 FCS.

6 to fill.

1 P5 at home/1 P5 road (mid/low tier Big10/ACC). 1 P5 road buy game.

3 to fill.

Let's assume that anyone aside from Temple would ever play us from the AAC. Then we need 4 games from the MAC or C-USA (keep in mind those programs all likely schedule 1FCS and have 1 buy game too limiting their availability to schedule home and homes).

So to me we realistically have something like the below.

vs Liberty
at Army
vs New Mexico State
at UMass
vs UMass
vs. URI
at NC State
vs Duke
at Tennessee (buy game)
vs Toledo
at Southern Miss
at Ohio

If UConn can get their act together and swap out 2 MAC series for 2 P5 I'd be impressed but not holding my breath.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I would be a fan of scheduling 2 idle weeks on an annual basis and playing our last game during the CCG week

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Unless going independent voids existing contracts we have signed, we are already locked in to play 2 Big 10 teams next year. Series with Duke, NC State, Perdue, BC already scheduled within the next 5 years plus a buy game at Clemson in 2021. Still lots of work to be done but a decent foundation to build on.

But given many P5 schools are already scheduled out through 2024-2025, we shouldn't get our hopes up on getting many more games against them in the near future. Going to be a lot of group of 5 and the indy's for a few years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think 5 is ambitious. More like 3 to 4 tops. Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 FCS games in the near term either.
But 5 has to be the goal. We already have 2 booked for most years.

As for wouldnt be shock- yeah wouldn't be shocked if we play 6 FCSs next year in this transition.

Reaction Score
Of course we will likely play Liberty on a semi regular basis. Probably BYU and New Mexico State from time to time too. Guessing home home with BYU and when that ends home home with NMSU. UMass annually and probably a regular schedule with Army if not every year most years.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I would be a fan of scheduling 2 idle weeks on an annual basis and playing our last game during the CCG week
Would be a great slot for the UMass game. Annual game between two awful Northeast teams in December.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If we play Liberty I quit.

Bye dont let door hit you in the butt.

They have to play these kind of teams now but I keep hearing things will improve after year one independent play
Have a little faith grasshopper

Reaction Score
I’ll buy anyone a beer at the USF game if you can tell me this post is even about

AlohaChris typed (and I think he was getting paid by the word) that he wants us to drop down to FCS. I believe his surfboard hit him in the head too many times...

Reaction Score
We should also play one pay day game against an elite Power 5 school every year at the end of the year when they play their cupcake game. Here is a list of schools acceptable to whore out to:

ACC: Clemson, Florida State
Big 10: Ohio State, Michigan

FYI, the B1G doesn't play out of conference opponents in October or November.

Reaction Score
Regarding schedule UMass twice, our schedule is FULL thru and 2022. We don't have room to schedule once, never mind twice till 2023 and those are filling up. Can tell you first hand, recruiting as an Independent is extremely challenging and Whipple's first year is the only year we recruited in the top 100. You need good recruits for good football. Really think at some point you will circle back and try to get a FB Only affiliation with another G5 conference. Perhaps CUSA as they receive next to nothing in media revenue.

Updates: Our Schedules have been update and now full through 2022 and 10 games in 2023 and 2024. No UConn additions, last game is 2021. What are you guys doing?

Added: Pitt, Florida State, Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi State, Georgia, and Colorado for P5 teams and a bunch of other teams. Again, what are you guess doing?

UMass Announces Additions, Updates To Future Football Season Schedules - University of Massachusetts Athletics

Future UMass Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if New Mexico State, Liberty, UMass, Army aren't on the schedule most years. I even suggested playing UMass twice over some random C-USA team.

That's 5 Indy games (if UMass x2), plus 1 FCS.

6 to fill.

1 P5 at home/1 P5 road (mid/low tier Big10/ACC). 1 P5 road buy game.

3 to fill.

Let's assume that anyone aside from Temple would ever play us from the AAC. Then we need 4 games from the MAC or C-USA (keep in mind those programs all likely schedule 1FCS and have 1 buy game too limiting their availability to schedule home and homes).

So to me we realistically have something like the below.

vs Liberty
at Army
vs New Mexico State
at UMass
vs UMass
vs. URI
at NC State
vs Duke
at Tennessee (buy game)
vs Toledo
at Southern Miss
at Ohio

If UConn can get their act together and swap out 2 MAC series for 2 P5 I'd be impressed but not holding my breath.
I don't like ties in football, if going to play UMass more than once suggest we play 3 times a year so someone comes out of the annual series as a winner. New England Conflict Trophy needs a home each year, don't like tie giving it to last years winner. Was considering suggesting best of 11 but with only 12 games need to leave space for Libery and a buy game each year.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
No UConn additions, last game is 2021. What are you guys doing?

Added: Pitt, Florida State, Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi State, Georgia, and Colorado for P5 teams and a bunch of other teams. Again, what are you guess doing?

UMass Announces Additions, Updates To Future Football Season Schedules - University of Massachusetts Athletics

Future UMass Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com
All those ‘P5’ games are on the road for Umass, we could announce those tomorrow. What we are doing is, presumably, trying to get some decent home games. Your AD just said Uconn and Umass are working on a robust series.

Reaction Score
FYI, the B1G doesn't play out of conference opponents in October or November.
Liberty vs. Rutgers 10/26/19. Another school beats UConn to the Power 5, and into Big10 no less.

Reaction Score
All those ‘P5’ games are on the road for Umass, we could announce those tomorrow. What we are doing is, presumably, trying to get some decent home games. Your AD just said Uconn and Umass are working on a robust series.

Yup. And hell would have to freeze over before we take a buy games at Pitt/Colorado. We may be desperate for games, but we ain't that desperate.

Reaction Score
To some degree, you can. But the point is other teams are locking up their OOC schedules. Take Pitt and Auburn, their first availability is 2023. You need schedules for 2020, 2021, 2022 etc and the selection pie continues to shrink.

Reaction Score

>>The UConn football team has entered into an agreement with Maryland to play a home-and-home series with the Terps during the 2024 and 2026 seasons.

The Huskies will travel to College Park for a matchup on Saturday, August 31, 2024 and the Terps will head to East Hartford on Saturday, September 12, 2026 for a showdown in East Hartford. <<

Reaction Score
Re: Syracuse/Rutgers
yes. neither of those schools would ever make a deal to come to east hartford.
Re: Scheduling Home & Homes with independents
im sorry purdue made a deal to play in east hartford after uconn went independent?

seriously - come back to earth. look at the schedules independents play.

It’s only one deal but this didn’t age well over the last four days

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I know we want to do H&H series to get some good home games, but I feel like going down south to be an SEC buy game would be a positive for the program. As someone mentioned, it would probably be easy to get.

If I was a player, it would be awesome to have the opportunity to play in front of 100,000 fan at Alabama. Yeah we will get our butts whopped, but it would be an experience for these kids they wouldn't have gotten in the AAC. Instead, they travel to SMU to get their butts whopped in front of 15,000 fans.

Also, it could help with recruiting in that area. Give some of our players Edsall likes to recruit from FL and GA a chance to play close to home and against the teams they may have grown up rooting for.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Let's not start su-...( yeah, you get it.)." - Winston Wolf

Don't get me wrong. It's well and good and a Big Ten program to boot, but we still have a body, minus a head, in a car, in the garage, and Bunny comes home in about an hour and a half.

In other words, I can't help but notice that the schedule 4 seasons earlier still has 8 open slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom