In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

In WTIC's "Dailey Recap" CD Expresses Disappointment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, you do have an interesting way of looking at photos. As can be seen in that first photo in the thread, CO drove her arms through KML's arms to get control of the ball completely away from KML, and yet you say that somehow KML was pulling down on that ball with her weight? Check that photo again and tell how many ounces KML had "pulling it down,"as you say.

And CO just had to either go "ceding the rebound" or "pull the ball toward her body" to control it? That is so out of an early Alicia Silverstone movie as to be hard to fathom. As if CO was at risk of losing the ball with KML driven toward her backside and all CO had to do was let the ball come down on her left side away from KML.

Look those of use who have played some BB know that there are many ways to control a rebound once you get your fingers on it, and the best way is to sweep it away from another contending player. Or if you have the chance and you have an opposing player extended, you can hook them and then drive your arms and body into them, maybe to send a message or because you know you can get away with it. This is done a lot but it risks losing the rebound because the ball is down low where it is sometimes grabbed away.

And as to CardFan, you did throw up a complaining picture of a UConn player touching a Stanford player and calling it a hold. Perhaps I'm just assuming that you think a touch on a Stanford player is not all right then? Why show the pic then? But OTP is right that there is no reason to make more of all this than there was (whatever that is) -- it's just something to remember for future games.

The photos are labeled 1 - 84 in that thread...which photo are you referring to as the first?

Reaction Score
Wow, you do have an interesting way of looking at photos. As can be seen in that first photo in the thread, CO drove her arms through KML's arms to get control of the ball completely away from KML, and yet you say that somehow KML was pulling down on that ball with her weight? Check that photo again and tell how many ounces KML had "pulling it down,"as you say.

And CO just had to either go "ceding the rebound" or "pull the ball toward her body" to control it? That is so out of an early Alicia Silverstone movie as to be hard to fathom. As if CO was at risk of losing the ball with KML driven toward her backside and all CO had to do was let the ball come down on her left side away from KML.

Look those of use who have played some BB know that there are many ways to control a rebound once you get your fingers on it, and the best way is to sweep it away from another contending player. Or if you have the chance and you have an opposing player extended, you can hook them and then drive your arms and body into them, maybe to send a message or because you know you can get away with it. This is done a lot but it risks losing the rebound because the ball is down low where it is sometimes grabbed away.

And as to CardFan, you did throw up a complaining picture of a UConn player touching a Stanford player and calling it a hold. Perhaps I'm just assuming that you think a touch on a Stanford player is not all right then? Why show the pic then? But OTP is right that there is no reason to make more of all this than there was (whatever that is) -- it's just something to remember for future games.

I showed the pictures to indicate there was holding and physicality by both teams. I played and coached, so I know a thing or two about the game. What I gleaned from the game (near the court) that the team that got beat by 26 pts was a step and half slow all night and never any pace on O or D. So to complain about officiating or physicality of the game didn't get the entire picture and focused on little pieces of the game that did not matter, that both Dolson and Chiney were physical, but Stanford had no O, and missed many open and makeable shots.

Reaction Score
you people have the advantage of looking at a replay over and over, and still can't agree. that said, how can there be so much criticism of refs who must make calls at the moment ? and when coaches start screaming, refs should hand them the whistle.

Reaction Score
you people have the advantage of looking at a replay over and over, and still can't agree. that said, how can there be so much criticism of refs who must make calls at the moment ? and when coaches start screaming, refs should hand them the whistle.

Excellent point...coaches just want to protect their players sometimes...that's easy to understand...

Reaction Score

From the film evidence, we know that Kaleena got to the ball a fraction of a second before Chiney, but reaching to her right. We also know that Chiney came at the ball directly under it and grabbed it with two hands outstretched above her head, and her momentum taking her into Kaleena at an angle to her rear. From the photo, we see Kaleena with her hand on the ball, off the ground, and with her center of gravity over her right foot...consequently she is unstable both to her right...her center of gravity is at the tipping point...and to the rear where Chiney's momentum is driving the ball she has her hand on.

None of this is a problem for Kaleena if she releases the ball and cedec the rebound to Chiney...alas, that is not in Kaleena's DNA, so she strengthens her grip on the ball with her right hand which is firmly attached to her 185 lb. body with the force of gravity taking it down...where it must pull the ball unless she releases it. On top of that, she is now being pulled by the ball because of Chiney's momentum backwards...this makes her not only grip the ball harder for support, but also leaves her in a position where she needs to grab Chiney's arm on the way down once she loses the ball to break her fall. We can't see her do that in the film, but it is the natural reaction of anyone falling backwards...even very young children.

No need to display your encyclopedic knowledge of Valley Girl wisdom...this old engineer won't appreciate the wit.

From Chiney's perspective, she grasps a ball with her arms outstretched over her head (again, see still photo) that has a hand attached to it that is pulling down with not only Kaleena's full 185 lb. body weight...that she'd be exerting just by grasping the ball and returning to earth under the acceleration of gravity...but also by the added force of any attempt by Kaleena to flex her bicep and gather the ball in. The natural reaction of a rebounder in a contested rebound is to resist the forces pulling the ball away, however, a determined Kaleena who is now falling to the side and backward puts enough force on the ball to draw it down because Chiney is airborne with arms fully outstretched and so can exert little upward force in this situation. What she does do...as we see in the film...is draw the ball into her body even though her right hand comes off it...and the only force pulling her hand off the ball is Kaleena's arm which...as we stated earlier, comes off the ball and may have grabbed Chiney's right arm for balance, thus explaining her hand leaving the ball.

I've played, coached and watched enough basketball to understand how a rebound is gathered...and I've played enough collision sports, and practiced enough forensic engineering to have a decent perspective on the physical forces at play and the way they need to be countered. I do hope that Kaleena and Breanna are given a strong regimen of lower body work, in addition to some repetitions on how to compensate for balance issues, particularly in the paint area where big bodies are flying around.

This photo appears to be a still of the rebound where Chiney and Kaleena collided...provides a good perspective...

http://www.stanfordphoto.com/viewphoto.php?albumId=214610&imageId=6484862

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Putting your forearm out and clocking someone in the face/neck and flooring them.

I actually did watch critically -- and Stef got away with some great physicality. I was cool with that. Especially that obvious foul she committed in the first half that wasn't called.

I might have called an intentional and/or impeding foul (whatever that's officially called), but in the moment, I saw lunging for the ball and tangling up. Was it called?

'68 - could you use the word "punk" one more time? It's a lovely descriptive.

Given the events, it stretches credibility to suggest Dailey's comments were ambiguous and unfairly implicating every Cardinal. I do think she gets a little cranky at times; someone mentioned Auriemma hugged the same player (they have a history of fondness and good will); but no doubt she thought everyone knew who she was talking about.

I appreciate your comments, digger, and of course she's not implicating every Cardinal, but I have to wonder, why not simply say the player's name? Seems a tad disingenuous. If she no longer has any respect for a particular player, why not identify her? More to the point -- why say anything at all. Can you imagine is another coach said that about some unnamed UConn player?

Can't agree more. Problem with the statement is that it leads to alengthy string of speculation by us basketball starved bunch of hot stovers coming out of hibernation. (Oh, God... a bear reference!) In discussing his technical Geno indicated pretty clearly that he saw a pattern of abuse by multiple players in their defense of the high post and that got him going. Stanford stretched it a little 'cuz they could not handle the speed on the high post cut... probably coached. It is over. On to Diggins and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom