In Memory of My Loving Father, 'Dogbreath2U' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In Memory of My Loving Father, 'Dogbreath2U'

Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss. Always puts this into perspective - it's way too easy to remember that all of us here are fans of the same team. Sometimes all of us forget there are real and real good folks behind user names whether we share or have conflicting points of view.

Katie best for you and your family going forward - comfort each other in the difficult times ahead.

Reaction Score
I smiled at the piece about him studying clinical psychology. In the sea of insanity here, he was always a kind, gentle salvation and now it all makes sense. He was trained to deal with us.

I worked closely with your Dad on the retirement gift for Coach Calhoun and he was passionate and energetic about that effort. My memories of him will always zero back to that day and how genuinely pleased he was to be there taking part in that.

I'd close with this. As a Dad myself, your post and the way you speak of him is all you could ever dream of as a tribute.

Reaction Score
I smiled at the piece about him studying clinical psychology. In the sea of insanity here, he was always a kind, gentle salvation and now it all makes sense. He was trained to deal with us.

I worked closely with your Dad on the retirement gift for Coach Calhoun and he was passionate and energetic about that effort. My memories of him will always zero back to that day and how genuinely pleased he was to be there taking part in that.

I'd close with this. As a Dad myself, your post and the way you speak of him is all you could ever dream of as a tribute.

Hear Hear Deep well stated;)

Reaction Score
It's pretty stunning to think that somebody who appeared to be in good health and at the peak of his powers could go that suddenly. Unless I'm mistaken, this would have been his last post:

David Onuorah commits to UConn

Not sure anybody could have guessed. Assuming that photo was taken recently, he looked extremely good. He meant a lot to me through some tough times in my own life and I can only imagine how much he meant to you. I think I'm around your age so if you ever have the urge to talk to somebody don't hesitate to PM me. Thanks so much for the inspiring post and I envy your perspective and positive spirits - funny how there is so much of your father in that one post alone.

And I am truly honored to be the only "Like" on that post. Not rubbing it in guys at all, not the time, I am serious about that. Nothing but respect.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hey fellow BYers
In Mau's post of "We argue about basketball" I floated the idea of starting a collection or something to the effect in DB2U's memory. Maybe buy a brick on the Storrs campus or donation to the Children's Hospital etc
We are exchanging ideas on the link
Thanks

Reaction Score
Wow. Very sorry for your loss and the Boneyard's loss to those that knew Dogbreath.

Rarely do we get to know the many anonymous posters on this board. He was a classic. God bless.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I know my original post said I had never met Tom but it finally kicked in that we had indeed met in Simsbury that day and I can totally confirm this. In fact, I believe Tom was the one who presented the check to Coach. "That's quite a check" was JC's first words, IIRC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Damn. Really sad news. Dog was a great guy on here, and I'm sure in real life. I'm sorry for you and the family. Thank you for letting us know Kate, even if the news really sucks.

I'm glad he cared about the community here, as he'll really be missed.

RIP Tom.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My condolences, may your family and friends find the strength to endure these difficult times, may you learn to cherish your memories to overcome your grief

It's never easy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hello all,

I am in writing this in respect to my beloved father, Thomas M. McAuliffe, known here as Dogbreath2U, who passed away this past Friday night at the age of 62.

My father was born in Kansas City, Missouri and grew up in the nearby charming suburb of Overland Park, Kansas. He attended Rockhurst High School where he played for nearly every sports team, including football, track and baseball.

img_7770.jpg

After receiving his PhD in Clinical Psychology from St Louis University and meeting my mother, Patricia FitzGerald, they traveled around the country together, chasing clinical internships and job prospects.

Eventually, they ended up back in Connecticut, where my mother had grown up and spent most of her life outside of her PhD. He started working at Newington Children Hospital before joining CREC in East Hartford as a Psychologist, where he helped children with developmental and emotional disabilities for over twenty years. Here, my dad's love affair with UConn's Men Basketball began. It didn't take long for me to catch the same bug he had.

In 2004, when I was in 5th grade, my teacher had us fill out NCAA basketball brackets.
I had made brackets for both the men and women, and under the influence of my father, had the men and women taking it all. And, they did. That year we went to the celebration parade together.

As I grew older, I understood more and more the sense of place the UConn basketball had created for my father. After a long day of work, I'd find my dad typing away on a message board or excitedly live-chatting during a game. He became involved with the community service aspect of the site too, helping to raise money in 2012 for Jim Calhoun retirement medical gift. He derived such joy from being a part of this vibrant basketball community. He was a brilliant man with a brilliant heart.

Tom is survived by my wonderful mother, Patricia FitzGerald, my loving brother, Sean McAuliffe, as well as his mother, Mildred McAuliffe.

A celebration of Tom’s life will be held Tuesday June 20 at 11am in the Mulryan Funeral Home, 725 Hebron Ave., Glastonbury. Friends may call at the funeral home on Monday June 19 from 4-7pm. In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to the CT. Children’s Medical Center Foundation, 12 Charter Oak Place, Hartford, CT. 06106. For online condolences please visit www.mulryanfh.com.

Should any of you wish to get in contact with me, you can email me at ktmc357(at)gmail.com.

Thank you all for creating a community my dad was always so fond of.

Best wishes,
Kate McAuliffe

Sorry sorry to hear of his passing Kate. My sincere condolences to you and your family. He will certainly be missed around here. If we had numbers like the team, his would be retired. I didn't even know he was from KC and lived in Overland Park, where I was born.

Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear for yours and your family's loss Kate. Your memorial post would certainly make him proud.

He has long been one of the most respected posters on this board - we all will miss him; his knowledge, views and enthusiasm.

May he rest in peace.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I know my original post said I had never met Tom but it finally kicked in that we had indeed met in Simsbury that day and I can totally confirm this. In fact, I believe Tom was the one who presented the check to Coach. "That's quite a check" was JC's first words, IIRC.
He was with us for drinks afterwards, I believe.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers for your loss Kate. Your statement to us supports the saying about acorns and trees. It was beautiful. Predictable because even though I never met your dad he was one of the people who I thought was very special based solely on the way he presented himself in this forum.

I'm sure you, your family and his friends will miss him terribly. I know I will! This is by far and away the worst news I've read in this forum this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And I am truly honored to be the only "Like" on that post. Not rubbing it in guys at all, not the time, I am serious about that. Nothing but respect.
I can relate. In processing the surprise and loss, I looked and saw that I got a Like from him a day later than that. Meaningless and meaningful at the same time. The ways we connect...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom