In Memory of My Loving Father, 'Dogbreath2U' | The Boneyard

In Memory of My Loving Father, 'Dogbreath2U'

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hello all,

I am in writing this in respect to my beloved father, Thomas M. McAuliffe, known here as Dogbreath2U, who passed away this past Friday night at the age of 62.

My father was born in Kansas City, Missouri and grew up in the nearby charming suburb of Overland Park, Kansas. He attended Rockhurst High School where he played for nearly every sports team, including football, track and baseball.

img_7770.jpg

After receiving his PhD in Clinical Psychology from St Louis University and meeting my mother, Patricia FitzGerald, they traveled around the country together, chasing clinical internships and job prospects.

Eventually, they ended up back in Connecticut, where my mother had grown up and spent most of her life outside of her PhD. He started working at Newington Children Hospital before joining CREC in East Hartford as a Psychologist, where he helped children with developmental and emotional disabilities for over twenty years. Here, my dad's love affair with UConn's Men Basketball began. It didn't take long for me to catch the same bug he had.

In 2004, when I was in 5th grade, my teacher had us fill out NCAA basketball brackets.
I had made brackets for both the men and women, and under the influence of my father, had the men and women taking it all. And, they did. That year we went to the celebration parade together.

As I grew older, I understood more and more the sense of place the UConn basketball had created for my father. After a long day of work, I'd find my dad typing away on a message board or excitedly live-chatting during a game. He became involved with the community service aspect of the site too, helping to raise money in 2012 for Jim Calhoun retirement medical gift. He derived such joy from being a part of this vibrant basketball community. He was a brilliant man with a brilliant heart.

Tom is survived by my wonderful mother, Patricia FitzGerald, my loving brother, Sean McAuliffe, as well as his mother, Mildred McAuliffe.

A celebration of Tom’s life will be held Tuesday June 20 at 11am in the Mulryan Funeral Home, 725 Hebron Ave., Glastonbury. Friends may call at the funeral home on Monday June 19 from 4-7pm. In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to the CT. Children’s Medical Center Foundation, 12 Charter Oak Place, Hartford, CT. 06106. For online condolences please visit www.mulryanfh.com.

Should any of you wish to get in contact with me, you can email me at ktmc357(at)gmail.com.

Thank you all for creating a community my dad was always so fond of.

Best wishes,
Kate McAuliffe

Attachments

• IMG_7770.JPG
    IMG_7770.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 77
Reaction Score
My thoughts are with your family. I always found your dad to be a very measured, rational, and consistently good-humored poster, and I always enjoyed reading what he had to say. I will miss his contributions on the board. All the best.

Reaction Score
Wow I wanted to give you a like, but I don't like it (i.e. the news). Glad you and we had him for a long time, and I remember his postings well.

62 is way too young, but I'm sure no one needs to tell you that. Wish there was a way to celebrate him here, but if this thread is the way then I celebrate his posts and contributions.

So sorry for your loss and ours. Will be sadly missed.

Reaction Score
I'm so sorry for your loss, thank you so much for sharing all of this. I lost my mother a few years ago and it's really tough, I hope you find all the love and support you need, in your family and your UConn family as well.

<3

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To you Kate and your family, My thoughts and prayers go out to you
I enjoyed interacting with your Dad
It is/was very touching of you to notify us here - with everything that must be going on right now it is beyond belief - you certainly know how much this outlet was important to him.
He will be missed.

Reaction Score
I'm so sorry Kate. It's hard to imagine, seeing him posting regularly and recently. Thanks for coming on here and letting us know. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank you for taking the time to notify the Yard. I never met your father and only know him through the board but I always found him to be interesting and kind. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jesus! I loved going to see August West jam in Middletown and talking hoops with your dad. This is quite sad for me to read. Very sad. May he rest in peace. And may your family also be at peace soon, Kate.

My day is wrecked. Only 62!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom