Immanuel Quickley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Immanuel Quickley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I just went through the list of players Bill Self has graduated into professional basketball, either NBA, Europe, Turkey, Israel, or China: Bill Self - Wikipedia

Of 26 players he coached at Kansas who went on to the pros, most were big men (13 of 26 played PF/C in the pros, others played SF/combination forward). Successful NBA guards who played point were Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers (who was more of a shooting guard). Aaron Miles, Russell Robinson, and Tyshawn Taylor got a cup of tea in the NBA before spending their careers in D-league and abroad. Josh Selby never made the NBA and has played abroad.

He did have some good point guards -- Dee Brown, Deron Williams -- at Illinois, plus Frank Williams who got a bit of time in the NBA.

But overall, 14 years at Kansas, recruiting at a high level throughout his tenure, producing only 2 point guards who got a full season in the NBA? What evidence is there that he develops point guards? He is a great coach of big men, that's for sure, but for point guards, KO is building a better track record.
I don't buy the staff doesn't have a clue who they're targeting. We've heard news on other 2018 recruits(Ayala, Dort, Swider, just to name a few). There have even been threads on 2019 kids recently.

You can't seriously think there's anyone in the country who would rather play for Kevin Ollie than Bill Self. It doesn't matter what position the kid plays. Mason and Graham are about to be added to the pg list within the next couple of years, plus duval if he commits there. If we had 35 min at the main ball handler roll, we'd have a chance. But why would a 5 star pg sign up to be an off ball guard for at least 3 years?

Reaction Score
I don't buy the staff doesn't have a clue who they're targeting. We've heard news on other 2018 recruits(Ayala, Dort, Swider, just to name a few). There have even been threads on 2019 kids recently.

You can't seriously think there's anyone in the country who would rather play for Kevin Ollie than Bill Self. It doesn't matter what position the kid plays. Mason and Graham are about to be added to the pg list within the next couple of years, plus duval if he commits there. If we had 35 min at the main ball handler roll, we'd have a chance. But why would a 5 star pg sign up to be an off ball guard for at least 3 years?

Jalen Adams: recruited by Ollie and Self.

pj

Reaction Score
If I were a 5* high school pg, I'd rather play for Ollie than Self. And in a positionless basketball system I'd be fine with learning versatility. It's better preparation for the pros than a role-based system. If Quickley came here, he'd have the ball in his hands a ton.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I'm hoping in 3 or 4 years you switch your opinion.

pj

Reaction Score
Since we're talking Self, it's worth noting that his one NCAA championship came with Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers, his two NBA point guards, in the same starting lineup. All the talented big men he's had on other teams have led to NCAA flameouts without NBA quality point guards. Rooting for Kansas basketball is like rooting for UConn 2005-06, every year.

Just another data point supporting the strategy of a 2 point guard lineup. Ollie-Sheffer, El Amin-Moore, Taliek-Ben, Kemba-Shabazz, Napier-Boatright, it's the way to go.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Since we're talking Self, it's worth noting that his one NCAA championship came with Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers, his two NBA point guards, in the same starting lineup. All the talented big men he's had on other teams have led to NCAA flameouts without NBA quality point guards. Rooting for Kansas basketball is like rooting for UConn 2005-06, every year.

Just another data point supporting the strategy of a 2 point guard lineup. Ollie-Sheffer, El Amin-Moore, Taliek-Ben, Kemba-Shabazz, Napier-Boatright, it's the way to go.
You're not asking would you rather play for Calhoun or self. Ollie gets credit for Shabazz and Boatright only. That's the best sell he can make to a 5 star pg right now. Every other dynamic is in Selfs favor, and he can use the two pg system won him a championship as well.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams: recruited by Ollie and Self.

The intensity with which the two programs recruited Adams was not remotely comparable. We always bring up Kansas in the context of Adams but they weren't exactly throwing a full court press at him.

That being said, the idea that there aren't kids out there that would rather play for KO than that goober Bill Self is a little bit silly and sort of peak Boneyard circa 2017.

pj

Reaction Score
You're not asking would you rather play for Calhoun or self. Ollie gets credit for Shabazz and Boatright only. That's the best sell he can make to a 5 star pg right now. Every other dynamic is in Selfs favor, and he can use the two pg system won him a championship as well.

I wasn't giving Ollie credit for all those kids, I was making the point that two point guard teams win championships, which speaks to your claim about Quickley not having playing time due to Alterique Gilbert's presence.

As for Ollie's credit, he gets some credit for Kemba too. He was assistant at UConn 2010-11.

Reaction Score
Giving up on 2018 Immanuel Quickley? We are having a situation, we should never give up, just maybe move on if and when its appropriate.

There is a heavy weight on this board caused by folks who insist the AAC, KO, KO's trainer, KO's big man coach, KO's staff moves or lack of staff moves, KO's learning curve, the prices at the dairy bar and/or Gampel's ceiling tiles mean we are doomed. Anyone trying to remain hopeful is tired of resisting the negativity.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I love position-less bball. And I would love for two position-less players like UNC's Hicks and Meeks play for UConn. That's my type of position-less bball. BTW, Bill Self? Sounds like an egotist to me.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Giving up on 2018 Immanuel Quickley? We are having a situation, we should never give up, just maybe move on if and when its appropriate...

I think Diallo broke a lot of people when it comes to recruiting. They are so very wary of being burned again after putting in such a long effort. Just need one big success to fix that. Hopefully.

Reaction Score
Cant compete with the blue bloods for this Kid hes a first choice for guys like Kentucky Kansas Duke UNC etc NEXT

Reaction Score
You are a ray of sunshine.

Being stupid trying to get kids like this instead of local studs like Bruce Brown or Terence Mann who would have died to become huskies got us in this position in the first place.

Reaction Score
The intensity with which the two programs recruited Adams was not remotely comparable. We always bring up Kansas in the context of Adams but they weren't exactly throwing a full court press at him.

That being said, the idea that there aren't kids out there that would rather play for KO than that goober Bill Self is a little bit silly and sort of peak Boneyard circa 2017.
Louisville was our competition but Pitino came late with his offer or there is a good chance they would have signed Jalen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom