Immanuel Quickley | The Boneyard

Immanuel Quickley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of the big boys coming out to play

One of those two fits your description of "big boys."

People say he's in with Chillious. UConn >> Washington. Now, maybe he liked Seattle, which is a cool place, but I'd say it was expected that schools like Kansas would show up, and Chill has a record of actually winning some of those battles. Maybe this one, maybe not. But I feel better about winning these types of battles--in spite of our garbage season--than I did a month ago.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
On what basis? And is there some prize for predicting failure a year in advance, that makes people so eager to get their negativity on the record?
On the basis there hasn't been any indication we've shown interest since chill was hired. On the basis our starting pg in 2018 will be a third year sophomore all American. On the basis we'd have to out recruit Kansas at a position where they will need a new starter. I'm not happy we have no shot at him, but posting threads about a great player we have a 1% chance of getting is dumb.

I'd love to be wrong.

pj

Reaction Score
On the basis there hasn't been any indication we've shown interest since chill was hired. On the basis our starting pg in 2018 will be a third year sophomore all American. On the basis we'd have to out recruit Kansas at a position where they will need a new starter. I'm not happy we have no shot at him, but posting threads about a great player we have a 1% chance of getting is dumb.

I'd love to be wrong.

I think we want a roster with 3 guards who can play point while scoring, 2 of them starting. Jalen will have turned pro and Tremont hasn't committed yet, so we'll only have 1 or maybe 2. Quickley fills that need. And we have to go after all the top players until they tell us they're not interested.

Kansas is a great school but if you are a PG would you rather play for Bill Self or Kevin Ollie? UConn has its share of advantages, and the big men might be advanced enough by the time he's here to let us compete for a championship.

If he hasn't discouraged us, then our chance may be 5% or more and you have to pursue that chance for a great player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'd love to be wrong.

Not as dumb as saying "next" when you have no intel. We are going to try to recruit this kid. Successfully? Probably not. Let's hold the horses, though.

Reaction Score
If Chill had such a good shot at bringing him to Washington, that should more than transfer to UConn.

Reaction Score
Yep should be automatic, like Harris.

That was way more developed and late in the game because it's for 2017. Harris already had his (elite) teammates picked out and in his mind for a long time, so he followed them to Missouri. The fact that UConn was most likely his #2 option after Missouri was a good sign. In a vacuum, UConn has to be a more appealing destination than Washington right?

Reaction Score
I mean, there are so many Kansas NBA All-Stars...

The most similarly ranked player of comparable positions that KU has had is probably Selby. This is my attempt to distort reality to downgrade KU.

Reaction Score
I mean, there are so many Kansas NBA All-Stars...

Embiid would have been one this year if he had played more minutes at the time. Besides, Kansas had 16 guys in the league this year; we had 5.

Reaction Score
Embiid would have been one this year if he had played more minutes at the time. Besides, Kansas had 16 guys in the league this year; we had 5.

Self has a unique history with development. He is not one to gives minutes to guys based on reputation and can be stubborn in playing freshman. Selby, Alexander and Diallo were massive busts considering their rankings. Oubre underwhelmed in Lawrence even though he is looking like a player in the NBA and Selden took a lot longer to get good than most people thought. That said, there are a lot of KU alums littered on NBA rosters who were not sure-fire NBA prospects upon entering KU. And you can't really F up guys like Wiggins, Embiid or Jackson. I may not go to KU if I am a borderline 5 star guard who wants the keys immediately but I can't see many better places to develop over 3 or 4 years. If Quickley is in the elite of the elite, it doesn't really matter though.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think we want a roster with 3 guards who can play point while scoring, 2 of them starting. Jalen will have turned pro and Tremont hasn't committed yet, so we'll only have 1 or maybe 2. Quickley fills that need. And we have to go after all the top players until they tell us they're not interested.

Kansas is a great school but if you are a PG would you rather play for Bill Self or Kevin Ollie? UConn has its share of advantages, and the big men might be advanced enough by the time he's here to let us compete for a championship.

If he hasn't discouraged us, then our chance may be 5% or more and you have to pursue that chance for a great player.
Asking a 5 star pg to share the ball with another all American pg is a tough sell.

Once again there hasn't been any indication we have contacted him since before we hired chill.

That bill self or Ollie question. I really hope that wasn't serious.

5% should not be pursued, who in the right mind wastes time and resources on 5%.

pj

Reaction Score
Chill hasn't been around that long, the transfers and decommit came the week before he arrived, and they have been focused on replacing the transfers and MAL. I've hardly seen any news about 2018 guys since Chill came on board. Once they get some 2017 roster clarity we'll be able to get a clearer picture on who they are seeking for 2018. They may not even know themselves, the priority of a Quickley may depend on whether we get Tremont.

As for Ollie vs Self - Self is a great coach, but he's been a head coach for 24 years and has the same number of championships as KO. He has a lot of NBA alums, but should given Kansas's recruiting success. As for KO and point guards, Kemba, Shabazz, Jalen -- KO is putting together a tremendous track record of developing point guards into NBA players/stars. No one thought an unathletic 5'11" guy like Shabazz could make the NBA, that's why he wasn't highly recruited.

pj

Reaction Score
I just went through the list of players Bill Self has graduated into professional basketball, either NBA, Europe, Turkey, Israel, or China: Bill Self - Wikipedia

Of 26 players he coached at Kansas who went on to the pros, most were big men (13 of 26 played PF/C in the pros, others played SF/combination forward). Successful NBA guards who played point were Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers (who was more of a shooting guard). Aaron Miles, Russell Robinson, and Tyshawn Taylor got a cup of tea in the NBA before spending their careers in D-league and abroad. Josh Selby never made the NBA and has played abroad.

He did have some good point guards -- Dee Brown, Deron Williams -- at Illinois, plus Frank Williams who got a bit of time in the NBA.

But overall, 14 years at Kansas, recruiting at a high level throughout his tenure, producing only 2 point guards who got a full season in the NBA? What evidence is there that he develops point guards? He is a great coach of big men, that's for sure, but for point guards, KO is building a better track record.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was way more developed and late in the game because it's for 2017. Harris already had his (elite) teammates picked out and in his mind for a long time, so he followed them to Missouri. The fact that UConn was most likely his #2 option after Missouri was a good sign. In a vacuum, UConn has to be a more appealing destination than Washington right?
So being the runner up for what I believe is the 97th rated recruit is a good sign? With that logic we should join the America East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom