OT: - I'm trying to buy a new car... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: I'm trying to buy a new car...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For the first time. I've owned lousy, get me through school, cars in the past, but now need a more reliable vehicle, and am starting to do the research in actually getting myself a good car.

While researching, I discovered that I can afford a used 2010 - 2011 BMW with something like 45-60k miles on it ($15,000k range). Considering I found used non-luxury vehicles with similar years and mileage in similar price ranges, I think it might be worth it to just go ahead and get the BMW.

Part of what is holding me back is that the cost of repairing the car is a big unknown for me and is giving me pause. However, I also figure that if I get a BMW in the 45k - 60k mile range that I won't have to worry about the repairs for a few years, by which point I would be looking to get an newer car anyway.

Anyone here willing to share their BMW experiences? Or in lieu of that, recommendations on what types of cars to get (i.e., new, used, certified, lease)? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
A Better Way in Naugutuck has the lowest prices on used cars and the biggest selection in New England. The car I got (a year old Hyundai Elantra with only 10k miles) was thousands less than it should have been, to the point the salesman told me to crash it into a tree and call the insurance to get more cash back than I paid.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
In January of 2004 my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant died at a Toyota dealership as I was browsing for a replacement. It started to snow and as soon as I pulled into that lot the galant died. I had no choice and purchased a brand new 2004 Toyota 4Runner. 227,000 miles Later I still have that truck and the only heavy money I put into it was to replace the oxygen sensors for emissions. That was about $2000. If that truck ever dies, I'll buy another 4Runner . My wife has had three trucks during the time I've had my 4Runner - a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee ( garbage, stalled at red lights) a 2004 Land Rover ( high mantienance, engine problems) and a 2012 Pathfinder ( excellent truck, still have it). Good Luck

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Interesting take on Subaru. I think you get more than you pay for on cars like Impreza and Crosstrek. I'd agree that the loaded Outback can get a bit pricey for a Subaru wagon.

I find they are well built, use quality materials, especially in the cabin and give you AWD for free when compared to comparable Hondas and Toyotas.

You might be right on the Impreza. If I was looking at something like a Crosstrek, I'd get a Mazda CX-3 or CX-5 for a few shekels more. Mazda's are amazing these days.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In January of 2004 my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant died at a Toyota dealership as I was browsing for a replacement. It started to snow and as soon as I pulled into that lot the galant died. I had no choice and purchased a brand new 2004 Toyota 4Runner. 227,000 miles Later I still have that truck and the only heavy money I put into it was to replace the oxygen sensors for emissions. That was about $2000. If that truck ever dies, I'll buy another 4Runner . My wife has had three trucks during the time I've had my 4Runner - a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee ( garbage, stalled at red lights) a 2004 Land Rover ( high mantienance, engine problems) and a 2012 Pathfinder ( excellent truck, still have it). Good Luck

This cracks me up. My old beater died pulling into the dealer......so I walked out with a brand new Toyota 4Runner!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You might be right on the Impreza. If I was looking at something like a Crosstrek, I'd get a Mazda CX-3 or CX-5 for a few shekels more. Mazda's are amazing these days.

For those who drive in snow isn't the AWD on all Subarus the appeal?

Also, Boxer engine sits low in engine bay giving it a low center of gravity and help with stability in snow.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention every time I want to sell my BMWs, I had to discount thousands of dollars to get rid of it due to lack of interest. My Lexus I sold it at full asking price to the first guy that came to look at it.

This might not be important to some people, but when you sold as many cars I have sold it all added up at some point. If resell value is important to you, get a Lexus, Honda, or a Toyota.

Reaction Score
For the first time. I've owned lousy, get me through school, cars in the past, but now need a more reliable vehicle, and am starting to do the research in actually getting myself a good car.

While researching, I discovered that I can afford a used 2010 - 2011 BMW with something like 45-60k miles on it ($15,000k range). Considering I found used non-luxury vehicles with similar years and mileage in similar price ranges, I think it might be worth it to just go ahead and get the BMW.

Part of what is holding me back is that the cost of repairing the car is a big unknown for me and is giving me pause. However, I also figure that if I get a BMW in the 45k - 60k mile range that I won't have to worry about the repairs for a few years, by which point I would be looking to get an newer car anyway.

Anyone here willing to share their BMW experiences? Or in lieu of that, recommendations on what types of cars to get (i.e., new, used, certified, lease)? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
I'm echoing many here on this one. I would stay away from an older used BMW. I'm admittedly biased here because I think BMWs are crap. Sure they drive nice and handle great but when they break your wallet hurts and when I go down 684 in Weschester County, NY in a snow storm I see BMWs in the median that spun out stranded and beat up. Nearly every snow storm or ice storm I see them. X drive my ass. Of course it could be that these folks drive them like idiots because they think they are bullet proof. If you don't live in a place that gets snow then you will just have the repair bills to deal with. You will look good and think you are as hot as molten lead but you will pay. My next door neighbor is a 30 something guy and has a young family. He bought a used 325i not sure of the year, it was pretty new, but he traded it in in about 18 months for a Nissan Rogue. His reason? It always had some problem that cost him major bank. If $15K is your target price point, forgive me if I read that incorrectly, I would go for a used Toyota or Subaru. My first Toyota never had a major problem, got 245,000 miles and I replaced the clutch twice I think. I have two Rav4s now, one with 108,000 miles and one with 195,000 miles and both drive like they are brand new and are great in the snow. They also have never had major mechanical issues. Subaru's AWD cars are also great for Northeastern driving. I've never been a Honda guy but some of my friends drive them and swear by them. The CRV and Accord are both good cars and I know a lot of people that enjoy them. Don't be lured in or overawed by a luxury car, unless you can afford to light it on fire and walk away. Or any car for that matter. It may look pretty, and have leather seats and all that stuff but the thing that gets you is the maintenance. If money is no object, get a Mercedes. The maintenance will still cost you a fortune, but they are far superior cars based on friends that have had both.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For those who drive in snow isn't the AWD on all Subarus the appeal?

Also, Boxer engine sits low in engine bay giving it a low center of gravity and help with stability in snow.

Those Mazda's are AWD too. I've driven both in substandard conditions when looking for a car, and the Mazda, for me, was superior handling wise. Their traction/drive system is crazy good.

Maybe it plays out differently for other people idk

Reaction Score
Those Mazda's are AWD too. I've driven both in substandard conditions when looking for a car, and the Mazda, for me, was superior handling wise. Their traction/drive system is crazy good.

I love Mazdas and the new ones are really nice. My first car, the one I learned to drive on and eventually drove into the ground, was a Mazda GLC hatchback with a manual 5 speed. Great car. Biggest problem it had was it rotted away from road salt. The car makers have largely solved that now. I actually had two 2x4s and a stolen street sign holding my driver's seat up so it didn't fall through the car into the road. If I had been t-boned by a bicycle it would have cut the car in half. Again, they have solved that now.

Reaction Score
It's funny that people comment without actually reading the post. While he said new car in the title, he meant a new to him car and clearly said in the post that he is looking for a used BMW in the 15k range.

I've owned two BMWs and I'll likely get a third in another 3 or so years. But if I was looking for a quality used car in that price range, I would not look at BMW. They are great cars when they are under warranty, but they are expensive after that,

There are many good suggestions for quality nice cars. Buy a Beamer when you can afford a new one.
As a BMW owner I'd second that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A Better Way in Naugutuck has the lowest prices on used cars and the biggest selection in New England. The car I got (a year old Hyundai Elantra with only 10k miles) was thousands less than it should have been, to the point the salesman told me to crash it into a tree and call the insurance to get more cash back than I paid.
I was doing a lot of research on getting used cars last year, that dealership has great inventory but literally does no prep work at. So buyer beware, they are just flipping cars. Get a used Japanese make, most have bullet proof engines.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The most expensive car in the world is a cheap German car.
In our mid-20s, my future wife & I each owned a used Saab, and learned a durable version of this.

I buy new cars and dump them in 2-4 years because I like reliability, new safety features and honestly, I just like new stuff. I'm not really a fan of knowing some sweaty stranger farted in my driver seat a couple thousand times before I took over.

Your goal in a 3yr old Certified Pre-owned (off-lease) car is to buy a vehicle that was driven (fewer miles than you would have driven if you'd bought new) by someone who sweats and farts less than you do. Let someone else absorb the biggest depreciation hit.

As a practical matter, I visited Carmax a couple times last week and was able to wander a lot filled with unlocked cars, which allowed me to sit inside, compare dashboard controls, seats, storage, etc. for at least 8 different small SUVs in about 90 minutes before bringing Lady Hans to evaluate the top 3 choices. No salesperson 'bothered' us either visit.

Some time this week there will be visits to dealerships whose inventories we've looked into online, in addition to reviews suggested. The goal is to buy near the end of the month, when sales goals are in greater focus and negotiation tips more toward the buyer's interest.

This is not my thread, but the current leading contenders are Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Anyone care to weigh in?

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I didn't read all the posts...so I apologize if what I say is a repeat.

I have owned 3 BMWs and I am on my second Audi. I don't understand some of "finicky" comments about German cars.I have had very few issues other than standard service. But, I have always leased new and I don't put a lot of miles on a car.

If a lease can work for you...BMW does a great job of subsidizing leases and in general all service is included. If you can work within the mile allowance, it is a decent deal. I like leases because I get bored with cars and like to change every few years. If you like to keep a car a long time, then lease may not make sense.

Lastly, I hear that Costco has a car buying service which is supposed to be pretty good. Haven't used it yet, but I have heard good things.

Good luck!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don't you need a wholesale license to buy there? They always come up cheapest on auto trader but I thought only dealers could buy there (and most of the cars were lemons).

Reaction Score
I didn't read all the posts...so I apologize if what I say is a repeat.

I have owned 3 BMWs and I am on my second Audi. I don't understand some of "finicky" comments about German cars.I have had very few issues other than standard service. But, I have always leased new and I don't put a lot of miles on a car.

If a lease can work for you...BMW does a great job of subsidizing leases and in general all service is included. If you can work within the mile allowance, it is a decent deal. I like leases because I get bored with cars and like to change every few years. If you like to keep a car a long time, then lease may not make sense.

Lastly, I hear that Costco has a car buying service which is supposed to be pretty good. Haven't used it yet, but I have heard good things.

Good luck!

BMW recently reduced the free maintenance plan to not include as much as it used to and I believe also shortened it's overall length. Still, covers a fair number of things just not as comprehensive as it was.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In our mid-20s, my future wife & I each owned a used Saab, and learned a durable version of this.

Your goal in a 3yr old Certified Pre-owned (off-lease) car is to buy a vehicle that was driven (fewer miles than you would have driven if you'd bought new) by someone who sweats and farts less than you do. Let someone else absorb the biggest depreciation hit.

As a practical matter, I visited Carmax a couple times last week and was able to wander a lot filled with unlocked cars, which allowed me to sit inside, compare dashboard controls, seats, storage, etc. for at least 8 different small SUVs in about 90 minutes before bringing Lady Hans to evaluate the top 3 choices. No salesperson 'bothered' us either visit.

Some time this week there will be visits to dealerships whose inventories we've looked into online, in addition to reviews suggested. The goal is to buy near the end of the month, when sales goals are in greater focus and negotiation tips more toward the buyer's interest.

This is not my thread, but the current leading contenders are Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Anyone care to weigh in?
The CRV is a reliabity legend but just about as boring as an engine 4 wheels can be. The newest model is a lot sportier though. I love what Mazda is doing and the CX-5 is great. Is this for a new baby? If so look at a bigger SUV. I worked at Babies R Us loading furniture and strollers into cars in college and you'd be shocked how little you can fit into those cars. My sister in law has a CX-9 and can fit two car seats and 4 adults and the two kids' junk.

Reaction Score
It's funny that people comment without actually reading the post. While he said new car in the title, he meant a new to him car and clearly said in the post that he is looking for a used BMW in the 15k range.

I've owned two BMWs and I'll likely get a third in another 3 or so years. But if I was looking for a quality used car in that price range, I would not look at BMW. They are great cars when they are under warranty, but they are expensive after that,

There are many good suggestions for quality nice cars. Buy a Beamer when you can afford a new one.
BMWs value drops like a rock once they are out of warranty.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Don't you need a wholesale license to buy there? They always come up cheapest on auto trader but I thought only dealers could buy there (and most of the cars were lemons).
Nope. I just put cash on the table and told them to get my car.

Reaction Score
Never owned a beemer, but do own a 2009 Mini cooper S. The car is a ton of fun, and very zippy, but tons of engine problems due to poor engineering. We had to come out of pocket with almost 3k to get it fixed at one point. I pleaded with them explaining how their poor engineering shouldnt cost me all that money, but nothing was done. We sucked it up and paid the money and moved on. Later on, they agreed to pay out, so we got our money back. But the engine burns oil and its only at about 125K (I would expect alot more out of BMW made vehicle). Maybe the minis are a different beast, but back in the 2009 time range,these things were made poorly and are not reliable.

I will say, if you can afford to lease a new car and just stay in a new car every three years BMW is the way to go. You dont have to come out of pocket for much other than tires, and you dont have to worry about reliability because it wont come out of your pocket.

Reaction Score
Should you decide to buy new, learn about Truecar and get a bid using Costco. Truecar allows you to compare prices to those reported in your area and the country. Using Costco I got an offer and took it to my local dealer who matched it for a deal that was $2500 below their previous quote and at the end of the bell curve good for my vehicle.

Reaction Score
I don't know a heck of a lot about cars. I buy them and then I drive them until they become unreliable and then I get something else. While some people get invested in their cars, I consider them appliances.

I have had an Audi, a BMW 325i, a few Volkswagens, a Nissan Altima, an Oldsmobile Intrigue, a Dodge of some sort when I graduated college, a few Jeeps, etc.

The Jeeps were nightmares. The Oldsmobile Intrigue was so awful that I actually gave it away in a fit of anger. The BMW was fine, but it basically had no backseat at a time when car seats became a fact of life for us, so I had to get rid of it. The Audi and the Volkswagens were all good, but when something went wrong, it was never a simple fix. I current have a Passat and it's now at the point where I'll be getting rid of it soon.

The only truly trouble-free cars I've owned was a Acura TSX Sportwagon and the Nissan Altima. The Altima eventually had 245,000 miles - I had bought the Audi at that point, but I liked the Altima so much that I could not get rid of it. One day, my wife texted me a picture of it on a flatbed and told me she had given it to the Cancer Society. I replaced a frozen rear brake caliper on that car...that was it over 245,000 miles.

None of this helps you. Don't buy a Jeep. Don't buy a German car if you don't want to build an addition on some mechanic's house. You can't buy an Oldsmobile because God smote them and they are no longer a thing.

@zls44, bought a three-year old Japanese car from somewhere in Connecticut that specializes in just-off-lease cars. I forgot where that was, but he showed me the car at the time and I thought he got a great deal for what he got. Perhaps he can chime in.
This. Just something to go from A to B, safely, and never any unusual problems. I expect to replace tires, change oil, and do brakes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somewhat OT but germane to sustainment cost of a vehicle I am curious how these high compression direct injection engines will hold up beyond 5-7 years and also how many of these turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines will hold up.

All these posters talking about 200k+ with Toyotas, Lexus and Hondas are doing it on bulletproof DOHC 4 or 6 cyl engines.

Basic DOHC, regular fuel. And they run forever, can be fixed by any mechanic, have a gluttony of supply spare parts and are inexpensive.

I know the newer turbos are way more reliable than older turbos but when they break, you're going to pay, fewer mechanics know how to fix them, fewer spares.

Reaction Score

The Mazda CX 5 and 9 are the only remaining crossovers/SUVs that actually drive like cars. We're six years/130k miles into our CX-9 and we are seriously considering replacing it with another one.

Reaction Score
Somewhat OT but germane to sustainment cost of a vehicle I am curious how these high compression direct injection engines will hold up beyond 5-7 years and also how many of these turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines will hold up.

All these posters talking about 200k+ with Toyotas, Lexus and Hondas are doing it on bulletproof DOHC 4 or 6 cyl engines.

Basic DOHC, regular fuel. And they run forever, can be fixed by any mechanic, have a gluttony of supply spare parts and are inexpensive.

I know the newer turbos are way more reliable than older turbos but when they break, you're going to pay, fewer mechanics know how to fix them, fewer spares.

Most people who can afford to buy new Audis and BMWs can afford to replace them every few years. I generally have stuck with more "mass market" brands for the reliability/cost of maintenance even though I can afford to go higher end -- I just don't want the trouble. I drive an A6 now only because the company leases it for me -- until I get rid of that perk for officers and replace it with a more traditional car allowance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom