OT: - I'm trying to buy a new car... | The Boneyard

OT: I'm trying to buy a new car...

Reaction Score
For the first time. I've owned lousy, get me through school, cars in the past, but now need a more reliable vehicle, and am starting to do the research in actually getting myself a good car.

While researching, I discovered that I can afford a used 2010 - 2011 BMW with something like 45-60k miles on it ($15,000k range). Considering I found used non-luxury vehicles with similar years and mileage in similar price ranges, I think it might be worth it to just go ahead and get the BMW.

Part of what is holding me back is that the cost of repairing the car is a big unknown for me and is giving me pause. However, I also figure that if I get a BMW in the 45k - 60k mile range that I won't have to worry about the repairs for a few years, by which point I would be looking to get an newer car anyway.

Anyone here willing to share their BMW experiences? Or in lieu of that, recommendations on what types of cars to get (i.e., new, used, certified, lease)? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
I would just say, if you buy German make sure you have a mechanic for service vs. dealer prices

It is absurd how much they charge vs. Japanese and even American

Japanese cars are the best for reliability, there is nothing better than a Honda Accord, albeit not overly sexy or exiciting

For the first time. I've owned lousy, get me through school, cars in the past, but now need a more reliable vehicle, and am starting to do the research in actually getting myself a good car.

While researching, I discovered that I can afford a used 2010 - 2011 BMW with something like 45-60k miles on it ($15,000k range). Considering I found used non-luxury vehicles with similar years and mileage in similar price ranges, I think it might be worth it to just go ahead and get the BMW.

Part of what is holding me back is that the cost of repairing the car is a big unknown for me and is giving me pause. However, I also figure that if I get a BMW in the 45k - 60k mile range that I won't have to worry about the repairs for a few years, by which point I would be looking to get an newer car anyway.

Anyone here willing to share their BMW experiences? Or in lieu of that, recommendations on what types of cars to get (i.e., new, used, certified, lease)? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
Be careful with any #35i cars if they're equipped with the N54 turbo engine. They commonly had high pressure fuel pump issues that BMW ended up extending the warranty on, not sure if they'd still be covered though. In mid 2011 they replaced the N54 engine with the n55 engine and that was more reliable. Any #28i car with the naturally aspirated N51/N52 are often quite reliable in terms of powertrain.

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!
Buying used is the way to go, just get yourself some sort of warranty for the first couple of years. I have a love hate relationship with German cars. They are nice but can be finicky and repairs are expensive.

I would look into Hyundai Genesis and Genesis coupe, Acura TL, and the Cadillac CTS if I were you. They are all nice cars in your price range.

Reaction Score
Buying used is the way to go, just get yourself some sort of warranty for the first couple of years. I have a love hate relationship with German cars. They are nice but can be finicky and repairs are expensive.

I would look into Hyundai Genesis and Genesis coupe, Acura TL, and the Cadillac CTS if I were you. They are all nice cars in your price range.
Do not get a TL from those years. Huge issues with oil consumption.

Reaction Score
I've owned 5 bimmers, and of the ones I've kept for the longer haul, 2 went 230k+ miles, including a year 2002 M5, before I sold. No major problems - no engine work despite the fact the the cars have raced on the Lime Rock track (and others) in BMW club races. Can't go wrong with a bimmer. Biggest problem has been minor parking lot hit-and-runs leaving me with nuisance paint nicks - they add up.

Luckily I have an indy BMW shop nearby that is run by a former BMW dealer mechanic (factory trained) for up-keep. Interesting to see that his parking lot is loaded with track cars (not street legal). Basic advice - change the oil every 5k.

The best buy deals are to get a car coming off 3 year lease that's 'certified pre-owned'. And get a mechanic ( a BMW non-dealer) to inspect the car before you close the deal to be sure engine compression is on-spec, etc.

Reaction Score

If you're offered a warranty for a used car and it's through a third-party and not some sort of extended warranty from the manufacturer, get the warranty in writing and make sure it's from a reputable company.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize that, Volkswagen Passat's have oil issues as well.
yeah those TL's are a nightmare. We're talking 2-3 full quarts being burned up between changes.

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!

Lexus (made by Toyota). I've been driving them since '04, yet to have a problem. 190,000 miles on my first one.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you are tired of lousy cars and want something reliable I definitely would avoid a 3 series BMW, especially pre-owned ones. If you want a car that looks good, drives well and won't give you significant issues for years to come get a new Accord. You can never go wrong with Honda.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Highly agree with several posters about 3-yr lease CPO's.

My wife and I both out a bunch of miles in cars which depreciates the hell out of them come trade in time.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan, drives great.

We just traded in my wife's 2011 GMC Yukon SLT-2 for a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. Acadia was coming off 3-year lease with about 39k miles.

A CPO car has been certified by dealership to meet certain standards. If your heart is set on bimmers, look CPO route.

As others have said, if you treat it right, service as needed, they will last. Do the math on post-purchase sustainment costs for oil changes , servicing schedule and gas type. There is a real difference between premium recommended and premium required.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Meh to the BMWs - lots of issues, get a Benz if you are going that route
If I were you, I would look at Subaru's, Honda or Hyundai
Ive had 4 Legacy - first 3 all went well 250K miles and only one needed head gasket replacement (that one is still going at 396K miles)
I had two Hyundais - both Sonatas and both were great cars
My wife and two of my kids swear by Honda - CRV and Accords
If you feel you need to buy a BMW- OK but with your 1st "new" vehicle - why not go "new" and buy a Honda or Hyundai? used - Subaru
JMHO - you asked!!!
Good Luck

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!
Don't buy a German car out of warranty. Few cars drive better than German cars but in general they are over engineered headaches. Go Japanese or American.

Reaction Score
Highly agree with several posters about 3-yr lease CPO's.

My wife and I both out a bunch of miles in cars which depreciates the hell out of them come trade in time.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan, drives great.

We just traded in my wife's 2011 GMC Yukon SLT-2 for a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. Acadia was coming off 3-year lease with about 39k miles.

A CPO car has been certified by dealership to meet certain standards. If your heart is set on bimmers, look CPO route.

As others have said, if you treat it right, service as needed, they will last. Do the math on post-purchase sustainment costs for oil changes , servicing schedule and gas type. There is a real difference between premium recommended and premium required.
CPO is usually a powertrain warranty only. All the rest of the stuff you pay for. If his heart is set on a German car he needs to unset it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll also add there is a huge emotional and egotistical (in a good way) feeling knowing you have gotten from having to settle to having means to buy new. Congratulations. It's a cool feeling.

Sounds like many of us giving advice have 20+ of car buying experience. And almost everyone is saying don't get caught up on brand cache or having a new car. Something to consider.

I'll add this, for the price of a new 3-series BMW, you can get some really nice 5-series that are 2-3 years old. Even the best brands depreciate most drastically the first few years.

A nice thing of luxury cars is they have new technology 2-3 years before mainstream brands. This a 2014-2015 Acura probably has as much fin stuff as a 2017 Honda. Same for Lexus and Toyota, etc.

Inevitably these threads turn in to what have you driven.

For me since 1995 (and Mrs Chin's cars since 2002) it's been:

1996 Chevy Cavalier Z24
2004 Honda CR-V
2005 Mazda3
2009 Toyota Tacoma
2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring
2011 GMC Yukon
2012 Hyundai Genesis
2014 GMC Acadia

We usually go to about 150k miles and then look to trade in.

A mix of smaller coupes, SUV's, sedans, wagons and a truck.

Reaction Score

Thanks in advance!
Had a lot of perfomance VWs over the years (GTIs, Scirocco, Corrado), and while I loved them for the style and drive, I'll echo what other's have said: German cars are a royal PITA, very finicky, and you'll be on a close personal basis with your mechanic before you know it. I finally gave up and went Honda - boring ride, boring car, but a fraction of the headaches and drain on the wallet.

Reaction Score
I'll also add there is a huge emotional and egotistical (in a good way) feeling knowing you have gotten from having to settle to having means to buy new. Congratulations. It's a cool feeling.

Sounds like many of us giving advice have 20+ of car buying experience. And almost everyone is saying don't get caught up on brand cache or having a new car. Something to consider.

I'll add this, for the price of a new 3-series BMW, you can get some really nice 5-series that are 2-3 years old. Even the best brands depreciate most drastically the first few years.

A nice thing of luxury cars is they have new technology 2-3 years before mainstream brands. This a 2014-2015 Acura probably has as much fin stuff as a 2017 Honda. Same for Lexus and Toyota, etc.

Inevitably these threads turn in to what have you driven.

For me since 1995 (and Mrs Chin's cars since 2002) it's been:

1996 Chevy Cavalier Z24
2004 Honda CR-V
2005 Mazda3
2009 Toyota Tacoma
2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring
2011 GMC Yukon
2012 Hyundai Genesis
2014 GMC Acadia

We usually go to about 150k miles and then look to trade in.

A mix of smaller coupes, SUV's, sedans, wagons and a truck.
I can afford it but will never buy new, I don't understand why people do.

Reaction Score
I buy new because it's my hobby. My monthly payments are just what I'd otherwise spend going out to eat or expensive bar tabs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Took me until about 10 years ago to get over that hump.

I'll add this, if you buy new, buy a car that holds its value.

We had our Tacoma from 2009-2014. Traded it in with about 75k miles and got about 70% for trade in what we paid new.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm old, so I've owned a lot of cars, even though my standard procedure is to drive them into the ground. The most disappointing new car I ever bought was a brand new, 2002, in 1972. I loved that car for about 20 minutes. In 130k miles, it went through 3 head gaskets, 1 radiator, 1 cam, 2 master cylinders, and a bunch of minor stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom