I'm tired | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I came to the BY several years ago from another sports board that has now all but died due to a hate-spew mentality. The BY has never, during the period since, come within a country mile of the nastiness of that other board. But what I learned in coming here was that there is a culture that requires some restraint and diplomacy. I have come to like that culture, and I’m grateful for the moderators who assist it.

The solution, as many have suggested, is to warn rude members once, then ban or suspend them if they can’t or won’t get the message.
And before someone gets their dander up about “censorship,” I’d suggest they do their homework as to what the term means. The owners of this board can edit or erase any message they want for any reason they want. End of discussion.

Reaction Score
I do not post often - lurk almost daily. And I lurk on a few other boards much less frequently. But I do have an idea for solving this problem. Take 10% of the offending posters and send them to the Tennessee board. You will increase the civility of both boards by a large margin. And just in case you are wondering... my tongue is in my cheek.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's good to vent.
Yes, yes it is.

I’d apologize for spewing but I’m not really sorry so I apologize if anyone felt this was directed at them and hope no one feels they shouldn’t post any more. I do appreciate everyone’s support and am thrilled to see new friends posting. Meyers is spot on - please post more. Your views and thoughts are just as valid as anyone else’s. Use the Report function to let us know if you get attacked. (see the Learning the Boneyard thread tacked to the top of the board).

Everyone’s warm thoughts are wonderful. Everyone should have their own four page thread every once in a while. I feel like Queen for the Day. Thank you all.

So, game threads - they seem to be the major bone of contention. There’s a game tomorrow and I’m going to review it more carefully than I have. Participants, please continue what you’re currently doing but be aware if a post disappears, you may want to begin rephrasing things. If things are unmanageable, we’ll make game threads Chat Room only.

I’m not going to keep making announcements - you don’t like reading them and I hate writing them so let’s move on. The rules are posted at the top of the board and will be updated as needed.

Again, many thanks and keep posting.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Remember, Nan, you can always call in Captain Rex Kramer!
Man, this scene is still one of the best!! LOL!

Reaction Score
Nan I'm relatively new to contributing to the BY but have visited the BY plus other WBB boards for a long time. The BY is far and away the most informative and cordial of the boards I've visited. That is because of the quality of the moderators such as yourself. Please accept my thanks for the time and effort you put into keeping all of us on the high road. Your efforts are reflected every day in the quality of the discourse.

Reaction Score
I feel the same. I view myself as a visitor on this board. I am a BU fan first and foremost. However, I love WBB in general and love talking about it. This board is the best of all the other teams boards BU included. I do feel some people are super bias and can see past their own UConn fan smoke. However, I am on your board and expect it. Just like if on any other board you know some fans only follow that team are very bias and aren't going to be able to engage in educated convos about the sport and other teams. I do love this board because of the wide variety of topics yall talk about and how knowledgeable most of you all are on the sports past, present, and current future.

Some of the issue is outsiders. Like me being a BU fan I talk and watch anything to do with BU or Big12. So why does a UT fan have the right to just go and dog me for MY OPINION on another board that they are guest on? I try to only state facts and talk about what is factual and not be biased. Yet in another discussion I was told "Why are you even on here? You know nothing about UT and you should not be commenting? You have no reason to be in this convo." When all I said was the same thing everyone else on here has said.

I hope I have not offended anyone and if I ever do let me know because it was never my intent! I enjoy this board for the information, banter, and sharing the love for this sport. I do think some of the moderators should watch people closely because I have seen some nasty things said. A lot coming from fans that are visitors on this board. The BU board had to kick some people off because they just came on and bashed our coach. The only post they made were very negative and derogative. That's when it takes the fun from boards like these. I understand you may not be a fan of the school or coach, but why go on their board just to be a jerk? I will not come on here and bash Geno, if I didn't like him, because that is just rude. (I like him) Same if I went to the UT, ND, SC boards. I just don't get it. Banter can be fun, but others take it too far.

Sorry for grammatical errors, don't have time to proof read! :)

Reaction Score
I do not post often - lurk almost daily. And I lurk on a few other boards much less frequently. But I do have an idea for solving this problem. Take 10% of the offending posters and send them to the Tennessee board. You will increase the civility of both boards by a large margin. And just in case you are wondering... my tongue is in my cheek.
Tongue in cheek or not - this is an awesome idea.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nan as a person that believes that rules should be followed I think that you and the other Mods do a very demanding job surprisingly well, considering the amount of traffic on the BY. I hope that you decide to stay because you always seem to be able to settle things down if they do get out of hand. I admit that I've even may have violated a rule or two while posting, and for that I truly apologize.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the title of this thread had me thinking of "Blazing Saddles" and Madeline Kahn! :p

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the title of this thread had me thinking of "Blazing Saddles" and Madeline Kahn! :p
Which was kind of a takeoff from Barbara Stanwick in “Christmas in Connecticut”.

Reaction Score
Nan I appreciate your dedication. I like to participate in a venue where there are still rules and civility. I can be as passionate as the best on this board but over the years I have matured enough to listen others opinion without getting on my high horse. Thanks!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Alas, you have never been a referee...

Reaction Score
The burden to make this forum a civilized place falls on all of us. As in life, lead by quiet example. Emulate those you admire. Reach out to those in need of a hand. And find the good, even in that which you dislike.

And let’s not forget... we’re talking about a college basketball game here. It’s not the last chopper out of Saigon.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have never seen you act aggressively to other posters. When I first joined the forum, I was shocked by the negative reactions that my posts engendered. I probably would have never come back if it hadn't been for you, Nan, a poster named speedoo (who no longer posts), wire chief, and DaddyChoc. The mods have done an excellent job of maintaining a civil environment, but the support of other posters cannot be understated.

Nan, I appreciate all you do here. Thanks for all your (mostly) thankless work.
why, thank you Sir (or ma'am)... feels good to read my name in a positive light

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I remember "Game Threads" use to be just good play by play action for those out of the CPTV range. Maya for 3333333333 or ut oh she's limping after a lay-up. or "Score please". I thought with the Huskies on National TV the game threads wouldn't be needed.

images

Reaction Score
I think you do a good job, Nan.

I'm on a number of forums, from politics, to guitar, to drag racing. One in particular is racing site called Yellow Bullet (Where The Weak Are Killed And Eaten). It is often a bloodbath that would send most sane types running for the hills. Personally, I have no problem dealing with people in ANY fashion required, but in the case of this forum, I believe decorum is the better option considering the membership.

I typically avoid conversations that might take a turn for the worse simply because I don't want to cause any grief for the mods.

JS

Reaction Score
why, thank you Sir (or ma'am)... feels good to read my name in a positive light
The bad news is you've used up your 2018 quota in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom