I'm tired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm tired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been lurking for several years and just posting over the last few weeks, so I don't get much say..... but I think you're super nice and insightful and make this board what it is, so I thank you for being here and doing what you do!

Reaction Score
Nan, I for one greatly appreciate your efforts.

I know how difficult it can be - I was a mod on a football board for 7 years. Most of the time it was good, but in the end, the frustrations outstripped the rewards and I elected to leave.

So, I know what you are going through, and it's easy for someone to say "soldier on", but eventually it can be akin to throwing a gallon of water against the surf.

We no longer live in a civil, respectful, society any longer- especially here on the interwebz.

Reaction Score
Hey Nan, I just want to say I really appreciate what you and the moderators do to try and keep this board civil. So thank you. It does seem to be a losing battle at times. I use to post more often, but became frustrated sometimes by the nasty replies....maybe I’m too sensitive. I was so looking forward to coming to the board after last night’s exciting win and was dismayed by all of the negativity. It is amazing how the joy is being sapped out of this forum. I’ve stopped watching the news; it appears I might stop coming to the Boneyard which saddens me. I wish I had a solution, but I don’t. Sending you a heartfelt thank you.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken this is a privately run board and you (HuskyNan) are not paid. You can moderate this board however you want, without an obligation to anyone for anything, not even an obligation for an explanation. One suggestion would be to get rid of the PM feature, at least for contacting you if not for everyone. You must have contact access for us if need be. If you absolutely want us to contact you back you can contact us first off board and then provide the means for return contact.

That will eliminate the feedback you get here, feedback we do not have an entitlement to provide even if we feel if we do. Take a poll once in awhile if you are in search of more general feedback. Otherwise, delete or edit away as you see fit, shielded from the blowback. I understand some revenue for running this board is generated by numbers of clicks or people visiting, but the numbers you might lose by depriving folks the opportunity to contact you via PM over any or everything would be compensated by the silent majority retained that support you editing or deleting as you see fit. I know the squeaky wheels seem like the squeaky majority, but there are several lines of evidence to suggest that is not really the case.

Reaction Score
Nan, you do a great job. These people who think they a right 100% of the time will keep on trying to push the envelope of negativity. Keep your chin up and don't let the ba----ds get you down!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Well, I can't do much to lower the noise level here but. . . you can come over Sunday morning for bagels and coffee and relax if you like. I live (I believe) only a few blocks from you. Just let me know so I can tell the wife she has to get up 'early'.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I’m going to join the many voices expressing my sincere gratitude and respect for what you and the other moderators bring to this board in terms of intellect, compassion and fairness.

I am married to a minister and I see her having parallel struggles in trying to balance the different factions in our church, and trying to remain upbeat and cheerful when most of society’s newer norms make things even more challenging. Harder to get youth involved when coaches now feel free to schedule practices on any day of the week, including those that by custom were left off limits for traditional church activities.

Still, she tries because she sees the bigger picture and remains hopeful. My prayer for you is that you can find peace in all of this, and take whatever steps you need to protect yourself, even if it means stepping away for awhile.

Last, thank you having the integrity and courage to bring up in very personal terms the damage that is being caused.

Reaction Score
I don't blame you. I felt the board changed in civility dramatically last year with some new posters, which is why I decided to take a hiatus from reading any threads after we lost to Mississippi State in April, and until play resumed in November. I survived OK without it and used the extra time to improve my guitar playing. I've written a number of times that the Badass Award, which was just introduced last year and with good intent for some fun and perhaps some debate, seemed to create a competition among posters that often resulted in a poster diminishing the game contributions of a player or players in order to elevate the contribution of another, usually his or her favorite. And people took exception, some handling it in an appropriate manner, and others not so much. Kids will be kids! In any event, I hope your concerns are heeded. I've been around since 2008 and have always appreciated the intelligent thought you bring to a board that can really use it at times. Hang in there!

Reaction Score
Dear Nan,
Your intelligence, wit, perceptiveness, poise, fairness, character, and patience have been incredible and appreciated. I'm sure you are amazing at what you do professionally, as well as with your family. Being appreciated is a feeling that those who contribute to an endeavor require to sustain themselves, and you are appreciated by so many of us here on the BY. However, I am sure that, very unfortunately, you receive some hostile comments - sick. I agree with Digger (another great person on this board) - try finding a way to wall yourself off from the comments. Yes, dismantle the PM feature. Yes, just delete inappropriate threads and posts and let those who find their trash talk missing on the BY figure it out on their own. There are many of us who would hate to have you leave, but if it is to the point where it is impacting your personal and professional life, than there are points in time where we all must redirect our lives. Many will be disappointed, but you can hold your head high knowing you did an outstanding job. Holding public positions is very tough! Go forward and enjoy the games and the camaraderie of the many friends I am sure you have made. I would be honored to chat with you at a game. IMO, this is UConn's golden period, create a situation that will enable you to enjoy it!

JS,
I really enjoyed watching the TX game, and since I watched it just after my recording of the Houston game, I can attest that one was an adrenaline rush and the other was a sleeping pill. Competition is great, but perfection is tough to come by, and because of that, there was no way I was going to open that TX game thread because of the destructive comments and unreasonable expectations that I figured would be there. Didn't want to take the risk that my enjoyment would be squashed. Earlier today I had pretty much decided to just get my UConn fix by attending games, watching them on TV, and relying on SNY and the Register for coverage. Still may, but noticed Nan's OP title and decided I had to read it.

Reaction Score
I think this is a wonderful board and find most posters respectful and non threatening.

I do think arguments and different points of view are heathy and refreshing as long as it's done in a civil way. I think it's ok to be critical or have out of the box points.

I've posted and trolled other boards most of those men's basketball and we have the cleanest most civil board I've every seen.

Maybe relax the policing and it will cause you less stress.

Reaction Score
I agree...you are doing a great and necessary job. It is a shame that you have to devote such much time and energy to make the boneyard such a great website.
Your first post! Welcome!:)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nan - I can't add anything that others have not already said. You do a fantastic job and I feel your frustrations. Like Lynx23, I to am going to take break for the rest of the season. My time will now be spent practicing my horn since I'm in a swing band playing lead.

I wish you all the best and hang in there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the best sports forum I have ever encountered and the only one I regularly post on, and it is the best because it is the best moderated board i have ever seen. I have seen some posters I really enjoyed most of the time banned or voluntarily withdraw because they could not consistently stay within the lines - sorry to see them go, but it is the price we have to pay to maintain the quality of this board.

I cannot imagine the amount of work that goes into moderating any site and I can well imagine how frustrating the process becomes when things go a little pear shaped.

It seems to me that we are in that kind of period at the moment where we have more than a few posters who seem to take pleasure in posting snarky quips about individual players or fellow posters or other teams or coaches. Maybe once it is slightly funny, but the same comments get posted again and again and they are not adding anything to the board except to be offensive to others. There are no insights being offered or actual analysis.

I would be unhappy to lose any of our moderators and would suggest if they are being buried in a sea of trivialities, that maybe wielding a sledgehammer for a few weeks or a month might be in order - suspend or banned offenders to make your point

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I've been lurking for several years and just posting over the last few weeks, so I don't get much say..... but I think you're super nice and insightful and make this board what it is, so I thank you for being here and doing what you do!

Likewise.

I believe in vigorous debate, civilly conducted. That excludes argumentum ad hominem, or attacks on other members of the forum. I offer thanks and support to Husky Nan and the moderators for their work.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of the posts that you do a ton of work for us and keep the board what it is. And many times I do see some the back and forth and find it silly, offensive, self-defeating, etc. Many time the fighters do seem to need a referee. But I do have to say in this day and age of super political correctness people can go too far, and see slights when none are intended. As one example, you constantly tell us your opinion that we may never comment on player's looks to say they look nice. We can't say gosh they have a great smile. (I wish I did, but mine always looks kind of funny. ) But in a post someone said he watched some player we are interested in and she looked "good". I took that to mean she looked good as a basketball player and could not imagine it being taken any other way. You issued a blast telling the poster to never comment on a players looks. Maybe you were so eager to see a problem, you saw one where it did not exist. We are all guilty of that, me included. And yes, I sometimes see people getting a little carried away with the language in their fights here on the yard, but perhaps that is just because they care so deeply about the team and the players. I see Gabby this year who is so strong and such a good player, but then I hear she has migraines and is struggling with her game and I get concerned that she looks depressed or anxious, but I cannot comment on that or express my concern because that is not basketball related. My view is it is generally ok to say something nice, but it is not ok to say anything negative, except about basketball, and then only with the understanding that I know so little I have no business criticizing and I have so much less skill and talent than our players that I am criticizing them for playing way, way better than I ever could. At the same time, I have way less talent that you at running a board, so I should say nice things, (Like I am so grateful to you for running this place, especially when I am down here is Florida with a laptop and a condo TV that does not get SNY and an internet connection blocking ESPN3, and I get to "watch" the game in real time by reading the Game Thread and I can see it a day later because you run this board and someone posts an internet address to click on and I have no clue how to do that) and the only time I can say anything that is not nice is if it is said with an attitude of love and a purpose to make the Yard an even better place. So keep up the good work, and perhaps lighten up just a little on the members who argue so passionately, but continue to comment when they get a little too excited. Perhaps some may want to adopt a rule I have for myself. Always read an email after you are done and before you send it. Clear up the typos and spelling. Then ask yourself, is there something mean, snarky, etc. If so, I have to wait 24 hours to let my head cool. Then I have to reread it again before I send it, asking myself, is this really helpful if I send it. The answer is usually "No." But I do recognize in the heat of battle, it is sometimes hard to wait 24 hours to throw a punch or a counter punch. So maybe everyone should just try to wait one hour.

P.S. You may also be a little too hard on yourself trying the herd this unruly bunch of cats and thinking it must be your fault if you can't succeed. You cannot do the impossible, and you can't expect to, but you can try, and see how close you can come. We all do appreciate the great work you do.

Reaction Score
Well Nan, not sure what to say that adds to all the wonderful comments above. As Mahler said...”how can we help?”. You do a great job and I appreciate it. I too don’t understand the negativity. I’d be all for the mods identifying the “problem repeaters” to the rest of us so we can address the issues as best we can. I’d be all for your eliminating the PM function, if that helps you keep your sanity. I’ve lived outside of CT for the past 5 years and consider the BY to be my UConn connection. Maybe you should set up a forum to discuss ideas to make things better. Or maybe you should identify those who the mods feel are “bad apples” and just bar them for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Sorry couldn't resist.....I immediately thought of Lili Von Shtupp.....

Tired.jpg

One of the reasons I stopped posting was because of the negative nitpicking of student athletes by grumpy ol' people. I pop in every so often and looking at the game threads I ain't missing much. Same ol' same ol'.

Of course I'm fully aware that I ain't missed either lol.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
BYurbi et Orbi
(to the Boneyard and the World) :p

Nan once imparted a bit of wisdom to me here, in the heat of some hand-to-hand combat I was engaged in with another unruly poster. Of course he said I was unruly. We were both right. Anyway, it went something like this:

“There is after all such a thing as the unexpressed thought.”

Most of us here are passionate fans, and many (myself included) also have the capacity for being somewhat argumentative (what?) and defensive in our ways. My advice to those on whichever side of whatever arguments happen to be raging is to actively consider not making that next post on the matter; not making that incremental Inbox importunement; not plumbing new lines of argument in your quest. It may be that you hadn’t stopped to genuinely consider this option. It’s actually doable. It was kind of a new concept to me when Nan shared it, as I’m not naturally wired that way. Perhaps you’re not either.

You may feel like this is surrendering the battle. In a small way, it is, but only if you define these matters as ‘war’ so to speak — without realizing it. It’s more accurate to just say it can and should be a conscious choice on the menu.

If your point or position is worth anything, both it and the rest of us posters will still be here tomorrow. Or next week. It’s ok to let something go now and just let it be, even if it seems HUGELY important. You can always revisit it later. It usually works better for all concerned that way, including the Mods, as the temperature tends to lower a bit in the meantime.

It’s worth a try. Play the long game and relax a little. Both you and the BY will be better for it.

Pax et Lux

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nan, you have done a great job. I like your posts and wisdom.
This is a tough job but I think you are just beyond great.

One suggestion, not sure it is achievable but just my opinion.
Can we have a "dislike" option? If a post has been disliked for ? times then it will automatically be hided or deleted or caught to you attention to make decision.

Reaction Score
I read and post on most of the boards in the Boneyard and I must say the women's board is down right delusional at times. The one thread I do not post in are any game threads except for last night one post. They are nothing but trouble.
Maybe they should not be allowed ?
Just imagine if the women's team lost 4-5 games a year.
Some posters would be suicidal.
As most know this program is not normal and posters should be greatful for what we have. This success WILL NOT LAST FOREVER.
I am all for debate. Just be civil to each other.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Nan,

First you need to stay. You are a Boneyard treasure. Second, as a periodic offender, I have suffered your slings, arrows and penalties. I deserved all of them.

You shouldn't believe you need to defend yourself. When someone steps over that line (your line) whack 'em. And tell them why you whacked them. That's it. No need for self defense or other explanations. If you become a Banana Republic dictator, I'm sure there will be revolutionary forces who will step in.

Viva Nan!

Reaction Score
I agree that the tone here has changed. I hope that the basketball fans here can keep the board pointed in the right direction and that the others will show you the respect that you deserve.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of being yelled at by people because they want to be nasty to others and I've asked them not to be. I'm tired of the cheap shots, condescension, and anger. I'm tired of trying to mediate between two factions with opposite opinions - half who think I'm trying to make a "sterile" environment and the other half who are irate that people might see things on the team that need fixing. I'm tired of seeing my Inbox full of angry PMs from people who think they have a right to set the other guy straight in their own words, rules be damned.
You're in good company...oops, sorry--didn't see johnnyc's post above...great minds and all that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman