I'm on the platform | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm on the platform

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
the titanic deck chair group is a small club

And for full disclosure, my goal here isn't to be a pracke. But the amount of animosity that I've had to put up with on the board leading up to and including today for defending a coach that I still believe in and for players that I still believe in has been larger than Mount Everest. Forgive me if I find it somewhat comical and perhaps even disingenuous when some of them, after 1 victory, start saying stuff like "I'm starting to see something..."

It's already been mentioned; we gameplan very well against bigs that we have no right stopping, and yet we stop them. We shoot free throws extremely well, meaning we are practicing to do so. We have reports of players getting into the gym at the crack of dawn or staying until almost midnight working hard on their game. There's no "fake energy" with the team or with the coach.

I'm hoping there will be less "fake energy" on this board...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We need to get rid of Ollie. The offense is stagnant and reeks of simplicity. He fails to develop players over their UCONN career. Fire him and bring in Hurley!

Oh wait.. we won last night? Never mind.....

The world of the Boneyard!

LOL...knee jerk reactionaryism. I think I just invented a new English language word that never existed before. Let's use it in a sentence. "Gee, I'm sick and tired of the reactionaryism around here."

Reaction Score
This entire thread cracks me up.

Since I was seemingly one of the few left on "Team Titanic" prior to last night's win, I'll just say that there's plenty of room on the platform left for folks to walk up on. I've saved a space for everyone that wants to get back on board...
I just hope we don't have a return to the 90's where we didn't win cr@p, that would be horrible.

Reaction Score
An excellent tournament coach? Since Shabazz Napier graduated he's one and two in tournaments and that includes the NIT. Excellent tournament coach?
That's one thing you can't take away from him, we played really well under really difficult circumstances his first year as coach and we won it all in his second. Granted it's pretty much been a disaster since but you can't take those first two seasons away from him.

Reaction Score
the titanic deck chair group is a small club

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the victory. I know I did.

But I can't get too excited until we beat a couple good teams. ECU and UCF are both pretty weak given the injuries to UCF. If we beat teams like Cincy and Wichita State, then its time to be confident. Maybe thats asking alot, but thats what legit teams do.

Reaction Score
That's one thing you can't take away from him, we played really well under really difficult circumstances his first year as coach and we won it all in his second. Granted it's pretty much been a disaster since but you can't take those first two seasons away from him.

Absolutely. The first two years were outstanding.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One thing Ollie's teams have always done well is shoot free throws. They've been in the top 3rd of the country every year he's been the coach. They've been #1, #4, #34 and this year they're #25 (and leading the AAC).

One thing Ollie's recent teams have not done well is getting to the free throw line. I sincerely hope last night is a sign of that trending in the other direction. Nothing cures offensive ineptitude like getting to the line.

Glenn Miller Time. If JC seems to still get credit for 2014, then GM gets credit for this. Drills like you've never seen.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It’s relative though isn’t it? No one is foolish enough to compare the actual makeup of 2011 vs 2018 , I think the other guy is thick enough to think I was doing that , but I think you actually are smart enough to know I wasn’t. but I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t think running 9-9 in BE wasn’t a mediocre regular season for a team that cut through a Maui murderers row like a hot knife through butter and undefeated preconference. There was a crap ton off teeth gnashing here over that.

We had to play on the first day of BET for Christ sake .

Cmon Fishy you’re smarter than that.

Relativity. I’m certain you understand it.

As far as butthurt, these days that should be on the boneyard masthead .

Entering the BET in 2011, I think there were some Husky fans viewing even the first game vs DePaul with some degree of trepidation, after we had limped to the finish line in regular season BE play. That team was trending downward. I vividly remember Kemba turning the ball over in the final minute of a game vs. Marquette near the end of the regular season, sealing our fate in a close loss. I think that was a home game. We had no momentum, and certainly no expectation that the team was about to go on an epic five games in five days winning streak in the BET to win it all. I think it's safe to say that constituted the most improbable miracle of the entire Calhoun Era, and the man manufactured plenty of other miracles during his tenure.

Reaction Score
1990 - 1 Seed. Knocked out in E8 = Underachieved
1991- 11 seed (great winning there!!! LOL) - S16 = Overachieved
1992 - 9 seed (crushing it!) - R32 = Neutral or give slight overachieve
1992- NO TOURNAMENT
1994 - 2 seed - S16 = Underachieved
1995 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed
1996 - 1 seed- S16 - Epic Underachieve
1997 - NO TOURNAMENT
1998 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed

So lets wrap this up littlejohn.

In your win everything 90's in 9 consecutive tournaments here is what we did:

We didnt even make the tournament twice.
out of the 7 times we did:
We made the tournament as an 11 seed (crushing it!) and overachieved post season with 2 wins - kudos
made the tournament as a 9 seed (crushing it harder!) and won an 8/9 game before farting out.

were seeded as 1 seed twice and failed to make the final four both times (which is playing under seeding expectation)
and were seeded as a 2 seed 3 times where we played as expected twice and under expectations once.

You want to show me all those NCAA trophies from that period? Because that is what I was talking about originally and you in your littlejohn lying ways just then proceed to make crap up.

Where’s 1999?

Reaction Score
1990 - 1 Seed. Knocked out in E8 = Underachieved
1991- 11 seed (great winning there!!! LOL) - S16 = Overachieved
1992 - 9 seed (crushing it!) - R32 = Neutral or give slight overachieve
1992- NO TOURNAMENT
1994 - 2 seed - S16 = Underachieved
1995 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed
1996 - 1 seed- S16 - Epic Underachieve
1997 - NO TOURNAMENT
1998 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed

So lets wrap this up littlejohn.

In your win everything 90's in 9 consecutive tournaments here is what we did:

We didnt even make the tournament twice.
out of the 7 times we did:
We made the tournament as an 11 seed (crushing it!) and overachieved post season with 2 wins - kudos
made the tournament as a 9 seed (crushing it harder!) and won an 8/9 game before farting out.

were seeded as 1 seed twice and failed to make the final four both times (which is playing under seeding expectation)
and were seeded as a 2 seed 3 times where we played as expected twice and under expectations once.

You want to show me all those NCAA trophies from that period? Because that is what I was talking about originally and you in your littlejohn lying ways just then proceed to make crap up.

Is much as I may disagree with some of your thoughts I respected your point of view. Killing the 90’s for UConn basketball is crazy. That decade is what I think all UConn fans want, be revelant, always chance to win. Agree disappointing finishes because of high expectations but still really proud to be a husky fan!!!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Is much as I may disagree with some of your thoughts I respected your point of view. Killing the 90’s for UConn basketball is crazy. That decade is what I think all UConn fans want, be revelant, always chance to win. Agree disappointing finishes because of high expectations but still really proud to be a husky fan!!!
So am I. Bigly.

This is strictly between me and fake news littlejohn He twisted me saying that ultra successful regular seasons don’t always translate to championships . And made that into quoting me saying the huskies didn’t win crap in the 90’s This is the culmination. Of months of his fake news. And he finally admitted today that he’d rather be Gonzaga than UConn. Took months to get there, but I knew we would.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the victory. I know I did.

But I can't get too excited until we beat a couple good teams. ECU and UCF are both pretty weak given the injuries to UCF. If we beat teams like Cincy and Wichita State, then its time to be confident. Maybe thats asking alot, but thats what legit teams do.
UCF hasn’t had Taylor all season and so what we don’t have Gilbert , and is 75 places higher than us in ken Pom with a top 10 defense in country.

They aren’t ecu

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Where’s 1999?

We all got drunk while celebrating our first natty, and forever lost in the lyrics of this song by the late, great artist "Prince".....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was. Good idea! Let's throw it in the crapper!

I’m convince that the dominance of Big East basketball that year was a huge part of what spurred the ACC and ESPN to attack it.

Football is football, but the ACC’s soul is rooted in the myth that they were the best basketball conference in America.

Even when it so clearly was not true.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It was. Good idea! Let's throw it in the crapper!

Yes, thanks to the Pee Cee Mafia at Big East HQ in Providence systematically bent on destroying it. Still waiting for that fateful decision from Villanova to upgrade to DIA football, eh Marinatto???

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
For 2011, this win would not be noticed.
However, we are not the UConn of glory days past.
For this team, this is a good win. You can scoff and say it should not be, but I imagine you have noticed our short-comings. You post about them constantly.
So you can't say we suck and then only feel it is a step in the right direction if we beat a top ten team.
Well you can. But you will be obvious.

We took one good step. No telling where it goes. It doesn't erase concerns about coaching. But it was refreshing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That team also had two future lottery picks. Far from mediocre.
Having 2 future lottery picks does not come into the equation of whether a team plays mediocre or not. Talking regular season league results not talent. U of Washington had the #1 overall pick in 2017 plus 2 first rounders in 2016 as well as 1st rounders nearly every year since 2010 - but weren't they no better than mediocre?
I don't care the level of comp in 2011 - the team was loaded and to finish a mediocre 9-9 in conference was just that - mediocre at best.
Folks here were jumping off roofs, JC was pulling his hair out and TV commentators were scratching their heads and talking about a huge UConn crash. If not for one miracle vs Pitt, I doubt the outcome of that season would have been pretty.
But great things happened and thank God they did
To be honest going into the BET, myself and many others were absolutely PO'd at the previous 60 days of effort and results.
Fishy has this hang up with correlating the seasons and AW isn't doing so
Maybe some just utilize analytical skills on different levels.......................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many times did UCONN underperform their NCAA seeding expectation before 1999? How many times did they play to seed and how many times did the play over their seed.

Let's put this argument to bed once and for all.

I'll wait. Lets see .

I'll take a non-answer from you as a tapout.

By seed, and by expected wins by seed Historical Performance of NCAA seeds | mgoblog:

1990: #1 seed, Elite 8 (underperform by 1 round, -0.43 wins)
1991: #11 seed, Sweet 16 (overperform by 2 rounds, +1.51 wins)
1992: #9 seed, 2nd round (overperform by 1 round, +0.41 wins)
1994: #2 seed, Sweet 16 (underperform by 1 round, -0.43 wins)
1995: #2 seed, Elite 8 (perform to seed, +0.57 wins)
1996: #1 seed, Sweet 16 (underperform by 2 rounds, -1.43 wins)
1998: #2 seed, Elite 8 (perform to seed, +0.57 wins)

7 NCAAT appearances
2 overperform
2 perform to seed
3 underperform
+0.77 cumulative wins above expectation

So, overall, we performed about as expected in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
There was a LOT of talk in 2011 about if the team would MAKE the NCAA tournament without a bunch of wins in the BET. It was looking unlikely until Kemba happened.
That talk was ridiculous. Even if they'd lost to DePaul in the opening round they'd have been in the tournament, probably 9/10 line. Undefeated outside the Big East, not a chance they'd have been left out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom