I'm on the platform | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm on the platform

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Again, you termed it the ‘definition of mediocrity’ and it wasn’t. Throwing 9-9 out there tells me that you googled the standings because you were either out of the country or on an acid trip that year.

Through 16 games, that team was 14-2 and ranked 10th in the country. They were 17-2 and 5th before they started their slide against Louisville in the last days of January. They had what we believed was the best collegiate player in the country.

There’s less than no correlation between that season and this season.

Stop being so obtuse. Did I give you too much credit or are you doing a Superjohn imitation? Please, please tell me its the latter.

We were a top 5 team nationally heading into the Big East regular season. It DOES NOT matter when the slide happened. When a top 5 entering the conference season team proceeds to go 9-9 in conference and finish in 9th place playing in the play-in day of the conference tournament what word(s) can be used to describe that stretch? You think mediocre is a bad descriptor of it? Please. Im out of the country on an acid trip? Your revisionist history of the '11 regular season makes me think you took one of those mountain jogs at too high an altitude and suffered Cerebral hypoxia. I think that is much more likely.

We had people here ready to jump off bridges and had to have Makers Muppet make an epic post to even get people to even think about going to MSG. Why was that post necessary if we were such a juggernaut heading into the BET?

Again. Im not correlating seasons. Im correlating simply that teams having trouble can definitely get better. Its a simple point.

Reaction Score
Stop being so obtuse. Did I give you too much credit or are you doing a Superjohn imitation? Please, please tell me its the latter.

We were a top 5 team nationally heading into the Big East regular season. It DOES NOT matter when the slide happened. When a top 5 entering the conference season team proceeds to go 9-9 in conference and finish in 9th place playing in the play-in day of the conference tournament what word(s) can be used to describe that stretch? You think mediocre is a bad descriptor of it? Please. Im out of the country on an acid trip? Your revisionist history of the '11 regular season makes me think you took one of those mountain jogs at too high an altitude and suffered Cerebral hypoxia. I think that is much more likely.

We had people here ready to jump off bridges and had to have Makers Muppet make an epic post to even get people to even think about going to MSG. Why was that post necessary if we were such a juggernaut heading into the BET?

Again. Im not correlating seasons. Im correlating simply that teams having trouble can definitely get better. Its a simple point.
Yep and UConn never won cr@p in the 90's under Calhoun.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your reference makes no sense. This team is nothing like that team. This conference is nothing like that conference. How many ranked teams did that team beat? No one in 2011 would have been on this board a day after beating UCF and pounding their chest.
No one's on here beating their chest. Such a suggestion doesn't even come close to mediocre. It's just bad.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yep and UConn never won cr@p in the 90's under Calhoun.

How many times did UCONN underperform their NCAA seeding expectation before 1999? How many times did they play to seed and how many times did the play over their seed.

Let's put this argument to bed once and for all.

I'll wait. Lets see .

I'll take a non-answer from you as a tapout.

Reaction Score
How many times did UCONN underperform their NCAA seeding expectation before 1999? How many times did they play to seed and how many times did the play over their seed.

Let's put this argument to bed once and for all.

I'll wait. Lets see .

I'll take a non-answer from you as a tapout.
6 regular season Big East championships, 4 Big East tournament championships, 7 sweet 16's, 4 elite 8's, and a National Championship.

Yep, Calhoun and UConn never won cr@p in the 90's.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And start the seasons off looking like an American East team. Last night was better and a positive step in the right direction but it's coming off a home game where ECU had the ball with a chance to tie. We are still a bad basketball team.
I don't disagree. But I liked that they played hard and seemed to have a gameplan.

Reaction Score
One thing I'll say for KO: His teams always play better later in the season than they do at the start of it. He's proved to be an excellent tournament coach.

Now he's just got to go out there and convince his kids every single game is a tourney game.
An excellent tournament coach? Since Shabazz Napier graduated he's one and two in tournaments and that includes the NIT. Excellent tournament coach?

August_West

Reaction Score
6 regular season Big East championships, 4 Big East tournament championships, 7 sweet 16's, 4 elite 8's, and a National Championship.

Answer my question about playing to seed in the NCAA's every year before 1999.

Tapped out?

Thats what I thought.

Reaction Score
Because to me, this is accepting mediocrity. You don't build on mediocrity. You don't build on a home win vs an equally bad team.

UCF is not an equally bad team, nor are they a bad team whatsoever. Going into last night they were a hair outside of the top 50 in RPI, have 3 RPI top 50 wins including over Alabama, as well as another over Nebraska. They aren't world beaters and likely will be a bubble team at best, but certainly aren't a bad team. A win over them is respectable.

Reaction Score
Answer my question about playing to seed in the NCAA's every year before 1999.

Tapped out?

Thats what I thought.
This is embarrassing for you. Just admit you said something incredibly stupid and go back to stuffing your face with Arby's.

August_West

Reaction Score

1990 - 1 Seed. Knocked out in E8 = Underachieved
1991- 11 seed (great winning there!!! LOL) - S16 = Overachieved
1992 - 9 seed (crushing it!) - R32 = Neutral or give slight overachieve
1992- NO TOURNAMENT
1994 - 2 seed - S16 = Underachieved
1995 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed
1996 - 1 seed- S16 - Epic Underachieve
1997 - NO TOURNAMENT
1998 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed

So lets wrap this up littlejohn.

In your win everything 90's in 9 consecutive tournaments here is what we did:

We didnt even make the tournament twice.
out of the 7 times we did:
We made the tournament as an 11 seed (crushing it!) and overachieved post season with 2 wins - kudos
made the tournament as a 9 seed (crushing it harder!) and won an 8/9 game before farting out.

were seeded as 1 seed twice and failed to make the final four both times (which is playing under seeding expectation)
and were seeded as a 2 seed 3 times where we played as expected twice and under expectations once.

You want to show me all those NCAA trophies from that period? Because that is what I was talking about originally and you in your littlejohn lying ways just then proceed to make crap up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The few weeks leading up to the 2011 BET is a perfect example of the schizoid nature of the boneyard (even in that earlier iteration) portion of our fan base.

Many spent their time griping about how we stumbled down the stretch, would likely be a no show for the BET (prompting Muppet's post/rant) and then an early exit in the tourney.

The humorous part is, similar to the tens of millions who have claimed over the years that they were one of the half million attendees at Woodstock, all of the complainers from the Boneyard likely have claimed over the past 6 3/4 years that they never doubted that team.

August_West

Reaction Score
Boneyard likely have claimed over the past 6 3/4 years that they never doubted that team.

Fishy being exhibit 1A from Cerebral hypoxia

Reaction Score
1990 - 1 Seed. Knocked out in E8 = Underachieved
1991- 11 seed (great winning there!!! LOL) - S16 = Overachieved
1992 - 9 seed (crushing it!) - R32 = Neutral or give slight overachieve
1992- NO TOURNAMENT
1994 - 2 seed - S16 = Underachieved
1995 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed
1996 - 1 seed- S16 - Epic Underachieve
1997 - NO TOURNAMENT
1998 - 2 seed - E8 - Played to seed

So lets wrap this up littlejohn.

In your win everything 90's in 9 consecutive tournaments here is what we did:

We didnt even make the tournament twice.
out of the 7 times we did:
We made the tournament as an 11 seed (crushing it!) and overachieved post season with 2 wins - kudos
made the tournament as a 9 seed (crushing it harder!) and won an 8/9 game before farting out.

were seeded as 1 seed twice and failed to make the final four both times (which is playing under seeding expectation)
and were seeded as a 2 seed 3 times where we played as expected twice and under expectations once.

You want to show me all those NCAA trophies from that period? Because that is what I was talking about originally and you in your littlejohn lying ways just then proceed to make crap up.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The few weeks leading up to the 2011 BET is a perfect example of the schizoid nature of the boneyard (even in that earlier iteration) portion of our fan base.

Many spent their time griping about how we stumbled down the stretch, would likely be a no show for the BET (prompting Muppet's post/rant) and then an early exit in the tourney.

The humorous part is, similar to the tens of millions who have claimed over the years that they were one of the half million attendees at Woodstock, all of the complainers from the Boneyard likely have claimed over the past 6 3/4 years that they never doubted that team.
There was a LOT of talk in 2011 about if the team would MAKE the NCAA tournament without a bunch of wins in the BET. It was looking unlikely until Kemba happened.

August_West

Reaction Score

So we werent even as good in the early 90's as Gonzaga is today by your metrics. Thats really sad.

Reaction Score
The offense was still bad, but it was much less bad against a pretty good defense.

I thought defensively they had a very good plan to handle Fall and largely followed it.

UCF took two runs at them and they stopped the runs and built the leads back.

Very, very solid. No complaints.
only complaint I have is the lack of ball and player movement and that damn high iso where we just burn time 40 feet from the hoop then rush to make a bad shot. There appear to be some players emerging with offensive play making capability...just cant be Adams hero ball when the shot clock its 10 seconds

Reaction Score
So we werent even as good in the early 90's as Gonzaga is today by your metrics. Thats really sad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I never bought the Francesa line that JC was a tournament underacheiver in the 90's because I thought UConn overachieved as a rule in the regular season. Which lead to higher seedings.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This entire thread cracks me up.

Since I was seemingly one of the few left on "Team Titanic" prior to last night's win, I'll just say that there's plenty of room on the platform left for folks to walk up on. I've saved a space for everyone that wants to get back on board...

August_West

Reaction Score
This entire thread cracks me up.

Since I was seemingly one of the few left on "Team Titanic" prior to last night's win, I'll just say that there's plenty of room on the platform left for folks to walk up on. I've saved a space for everyone that wants to get back on board...

I havent.

Superjohn never gets to get back on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Don't hurt your arm there after one win. Pretty much everyone on the board is on board and has always been on board. Putting loyalty to the program above loyalty to the coach doesn't make one off board.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Don't hurt your arm there after one win. Pretty much everyone on the board is on board and has always been on board. Putting loyalty to the program above loyalty to the coach doesn't make one off board.

Don't hurt your arm after one of our losses.

And pretty much lots of people haven't been on board. Hence a thread about trying to get back on board...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom