I'm on the platform | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm on the platform

Reaction Score
Seeing an inbound play under the hoop for an easy bucket was a nice sign.

UCF seems to be a good match up for UConn because they don't score (5-21 from 3's).

UConns offense looked improved last night with players cutting to hoop for some easy baskets.

Whaley is going to be a real nice role player for the Huskies.

I dont know the stat but watching the game UCF seemed like a better team with Taco off the court .

Hope was provided for a night, will seem pretty meaning less if they cant keep it going against Tulane on Saturday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because to me, this is accepting mediocrity. You don't build on mediocrity. You don't build on a home win vs an equally bad team. You want me to feel good about where this heading? Go out and beat Villanova. Hell, beat Cincinnati. Or maybe SMU. At this point, go out and beat Tulane on the road. Until then, last night is a win we all thought we should have. Of course, I am happy with the result. I applaud the guys on their effort and their ability to win from start to finish. I still don't feel any better about where things are heading. Last nights result didn't change a thing. If your program is building confidence off a home win vs UCF, that should be a major red flag. Has the bar been set that low?

The possibilities here are relatively binary. You can build off of a home win against UCF or you can build off of a home loss to UCF. I submit that the path to the level of play that you seek, and we all seek, is shorter coming off of a win against UCF.

They played better than they did in our last home win, against a much better team than we played in that game. It's not something magnificent, but it is something positive.

Reaction Score
This is the way they're going to win. Not gonna be pretty but with this roster and coaching staff they need the Grit to grind out these type of games. Good to see a few inbound plays and movement and back cuts on the half court offense for once. Maybe Ollie has finally seen the light on that front? Now it's time to show we can do this on the road because AAC road games have been our house of horrors.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Because to me, this is accepting mediocrity. You don't build on mediocrity.

You dont build on Mediocrity?

Wow.

I guess someone forgot to tell that to the 2011 9-9 in conference UConn team before the BET.

The in conference regular season was the definition of mediocre.

There is ALWAYS room for learning, getting better and clicking.

You just sound butthurt.

Reaction Score
The problem is that we're not making the tourney unless we win the AAC. We have 0 good wins right now as Oregon hasn't beaten anyone good. We're 9-7. And we've looked lost for just about every game so far. Winning 1 game doesn't change all these problems. We just about lost to ecu last game

Reaction Score

Wow.

I guess someone forgot to tell that to the 2011 9-9 in conference UConn team before the BET.

You just sound butthurt.
Your reference makes no sense. This team is nothing like that team. This conference is nothing like that conference. How many ranked teams did that team beat? No one in 2011 would have been on this board a day after beating UCF and pounding their chest.

Reaction Score
Realities:

We beat a mediocre team at home who shot 5/21 from 3 (and part of the reason they are mediocre is that they are missing 3 rotation guys: BJ Taylor, Aubrey Dawkins, Chance McSpadden).
But it is a Q2+ win at the moment, which makes it our 2nd of the year out of 9 attempts, so something to celebrate as long as the dream is alive (and the dream will be alive as long as we still have multiple top 15 teams left on our schedule... but still very much slumbering so far).
14 turnovers in 61 possessions is not good, especially considering it's not a strength of their defense.
Our other offensive numbers were either worse or only slightly improved compared to our season averages, but their defense is good so seems to be mostly a wash (definitely not a giant step forward or anything).

Reaction Score
It's probably better to just quit if you're mediocre then since you can't build on it.
No it's not. You should never quit. But as a fan, you should definitely keep results, a win or loss, in perspective. Clearly, if you think last night was a win to build on, you are failing to do this.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
One thing I'll say for KO: His teams always play better later in the season than they do at the start of it. He's proved to be an excellent tournament coach.

Now he's just got to go out there and convince his kids every single game is a tourney game.

August_West

Reaction Score
No it's not. You should never quit. But as a fan, you should definitely keep results, a win or loss, in perspective. Clearly, if you think last night was a win to build on, you are failing to do this.
Lol do you even basketball , bro?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a Top 100 win so, I'll take it.

According to my count that brings the total of Top 100 wins this season to 1.

Reaction Score
It's a Top 100 win so, I'll take it.

According to my count that brings the total of Top 100 wins this season to 1.

Is Oregon not in the top 100??

Talk about falling off a cliff...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Wow.

You just sound butthurt.

First, the second you use the word ‘butthurt’, you’re a 12-year old and you’ve lost.

Second, no, it really wasn’t. UConn had a bad stretch in February, but never fell past 19/21 in the two national rankings. They were ranked around 15 until the final week of the season when they lost at West Virginia and then at home to Notre Dame. But every team that they played in February, save Marquette, was ranked in the final in-season poll. (Nine Big East teams were ranked at the end of February.) They weren’t mediocre, they were just running a gauntlet.

UConn can improve and hopefully will, but the 2011 comparisons need to die. That team played a murderer’s row from start to finish that year - even more impressive now that I look back on it.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
First, the second you use the word ‘butthurt’, you’re a 12-year old and you’ve lost.

Second, no, it really wasn’t. UConn had a bad stretch in February, but never fell past 19/21 in the two national rankings. They were ranked around 15 until the final week of the season when they lost at West Virginia and then at home to Notre Dame. But every team that they played in February, save Marquette, was ranked in the final in-season poll. (Nine Big East teams were ranked at the end of February.) They weren’t mediocre, they were just running a gauntlet.

UConn can improve and hopefully will, but the 2011 comparisons need to die. That team played a murderer’s row from start to finish that year - even more impressive now that I look back on it.
The 2011 Big East schedule was practically the NBA Eastern conference compared to the league we are in now.

August_West

Reaction Score

It’s relative though isn’t it? No one is foolish enough to compare the actual makeup of 2011 vs 2018 , I think the other guy is thick enough to think I was doing that , but I think you actually are smart enough to know I wasn’t. but I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t think running 9-9 in BE wasn’t a mediocre regular season for a team that cut through a Maui murderers row like a hot knife through butter and undefeated preconference. There was a crap ton off teeth gnashing here over that.

We had to play on the first day of BET for Christ sake .

Cmon Fishy you’re smarter than that.

Relativity. I’m certain you understand it.

As far as butthurt, these days that should be on the boneyard masthead .

Reaction Score
One thing I'll say for KO: His teams always play better later in the season than they do at the start of it. He's proved to be an excellent tournament coach.

Now he's just got to go out there and convince his kids every single game is a tourney game.
And start the seasons off looking like an American East team. Last night was better and a positive step in the right direction but it's coming off a home game where ECU had the ball with a chance to tie. We are still a bad basketball team.

Reaction Score
It’s relative though isn’t it? No one is foolish enough to compare the actual makeup of 2011 vs 2018 , I think the other guy is thick enough to think I was doing that , but I think you actually are smart enough to know I wasn’t. but I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t think running 9-9 in BE wasn’t a mediocre regular season for a team that cut through a Maui murderers row like a hot knife through butter and undefeated preconference. There was a crap ton off teeth gnashing here over that.

You reference still makes no sense. Nice try but be smarter next time.

Reaction Score

That team also had two future lottery picks. Far from mediocre.

Reaction Score

I guess I'm not quite getting how building off something and not keeping the results in perspective are the same thing. I'm completely with you on keeping what was a pretty mediocre win in perspective, but if you can't build off it then what can you build off?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Again, you termed it the ‘definition of mediocrity’ and it wasn’t. Throwing 9-9 out there tells me that you googled the standings because you were either out of the country or on an acid trip that year.

Through 16 games, that team was 14-2 and ranked 10th in the country. They were 17-2 and 5th before they started their slide against Louisville in the last days of January. They had what we believed was the best collegiate player in the country.

There’s less than no correlation between that season and this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom