I'm not getting all this anger directed at Bria | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm not getting all this anger directed at Bria

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not getting all this anger directed at Bria (NAN)

I'm not getting all this anger directed at Posters (MSF)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Thread after thread of negative posts about her is piling on. It's annoying.

I can use caps too, aren't I cool?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This micro analysis of her play (every turnover, supposed defensive lapse, missed shot) when the team is winning by 60, 40 and 35 the last 3 games including the last game where they beat a team by 35 that took ND to OT is where I have issue. How is the team playing with her in here? Considering she is playing so many minutes, the team is doing just fine with her in there. There are many reasons a team plays at the level they are playing, both good and bad. And Hartley, while not playing her best ball, contributes plenty in a positive way as well as negative at times.

Thread after thread and post after post discussing only the bad is piling on.
I'm actually OK with that. I just don't understand the vitriol and mocking comments that are being directed at Bria.

Show me where I posted angrily, please. Your need to respond to me in GIANT letters is....puzzling. But if you must know, as a fan I object to comments like these:

0-7 from the field, 4 turnovers. Guess who?
Our " All American" thats who! LOL And with that shes 0 for 9

Again, it sounds as though the fans were blaming Bria for missing shots. It's not like she wants to miss them; it's a slump. She's trying to work out of it and I'm willing to be patient because I know she has the ability. I just find it annoying that her attempts are mocked.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
How is the team playing with her in here? Considering she is playing so many minutes, the team is doing just fine with her in there.

Yeah, sure, I know that the So Florida kids are pretty good (very athletic for sure), but the 2 preceding games were no more (probably less) than scrimmages.

Has little bearing on what should be expected on Monday and down the road.

On a completely positive note: I thought that the help defense looked sharp all game yesterday

The very interesting question, brought up after the last game, is
whether our strength at frontcourt (arbitrarily putting KML and Kelly there in the normal starting routine) is adequate to compensate for the lack of scoring by the guards (if that trend continues).

We'll find out on Monday, won't we.

Might just, We'll see.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nan, I forgot to put on a smiling face...and the comment was certainly not directed at you but at the tenor of the discussion.
Sorry, it was meant in mirth. I seem to be not too good at jokes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It takes little wisdom to perceive that Bria's shooting in recent games has been less accurate than what she has delivered in the past. That's a fair criticism,

The discussion of "why" she has not been shooting well has led to some wild and unfounded speculation, some of it unnecessarily mean-spirited.

Critics and supporters alike (many fall into both categories) can find common ground in hoping that she regains her confidence and, especially, her shooting touch soon. Ideally, tomorrow vs. Notre Dame.

Meanwhile, anyone who questions her motivation/desire/heart/attitude is just an old poop.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It takes little wisdom to perceive that Bria's shooting in recent games has been less accurate than what she has delivered in the past. That's a fair criticism

Not when it's post after post, saying the same thing over and over. After a while, it's piling on and not so fair.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I forgot to put on a smiling face...and the comment was certainly not directed at you but at the tenor of the discussion
Ah, hence my puzzlement. It seemed kind of out of character for you.

Reaction Score
I would never mock one of our girls, but I will say I have no idea why she gotten so many minutes with the play she has had over the past couple games. I get that our backcourt is sparse, but there is no reason she should have played 32 minutes today or 36 against Pitt considering how in hand both games were and how bad she has been playing.

You think she'll get back into her All American high gear sitting on the bench rather than getting some playing time...Geno apparently disagrees and, I must say, I think he's doing the right thing if the goal is to maximize our NC chances...

Reaction Score
People are acting like she's not making shots on purpose. Do you think she wants to be a shooting slump? I especially don't understand the mocking "All American" stuff which seems very Middle School, imo. Bria has played at a very high level for more than two years but since she's been slow to recover from her injury, mentally, and her confidence in her shot is wavering, she's somehow not worthy of our support. To quote our friend doggydaddy - unbelievable.

The kid is a shooter. The only way she's going to get her confidence back is to keep shooting. I hope she ignores all the nay-sayers and just keeps shooting until she's out of her slump.
Many of the Uconn fans, (as all fans everywhere), are not capable of picking up a basketball and hitting the wall with it. They want every shot to go in, however, if a player can make 45% from the field, pretty good. Yes we know Bria is not making close to that, but, you gotta love the kid. She goes out there and plays hard, but, mentally, she is gun shy. You saw open shots against USF, and she passed. If you ever were a shooter in basketball, you know there is something called "shooters mentality." A shooter thinks every shot is going in, and when you are not hitting, you think every shot is going to miss, and it really screws up your mind. GIVE THE KID A CHANCE, SUPPORT HER.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im getting tired of reading all this too. Shes not shooting well, her teammates know, the press and media keep talking about it, the fans are talking about it and frankly its just adding up to a pile of garbage that Bria has to deal with. What weve got with this team is what weve got. It may not be perfect, in your eyes or mine but its a team that has lost 2 close games for the season and is blowing everybody else out. They play good D and are the best passing team in America. You can dwell on the negitives or faults but we beat a team that is very good and was hot by 30+ while ND struggled to go into overtime. One thing we have that no other team in America has. We have 2 terrific scorers in Stef and KML. We can put up alot of points in a hurry. Just because other players arent scoring as much dosnt mean we wont win a NC. We have to learn to play Now with what weve got and move forward. Every member of this team will have good games and poor games over the next month and so will our opponets. We have to accept that and stop worrying about "what ifs" . Focus on the positives and stop piling up talk about how poorly players are playing. Dwelling on the negtives only reinforces those thoughts and make it worse. What they need now is encouragement.

If Breanna and Bria go out and score 20 pts againest ND tomorrow nite many fans will still question if it was a one nite thing and others will say theyre back. Geno and his coaches will deal with the problems and know alot more then we do about what is going on and how to fix it then we do. We need to be supportive especially at this time, tournment time if we expect to win a NC.

One last point. Nothing is as good as it seems and nothing is as bad as it appears. IMO that makes me think we can only get better as poorly as we played and won againest a good team by 30+ So on Monday I look forward to Breanna Bria Morgan and Kiah to have break out games.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
You think she'll get back into her All American high gear sitting on the bench rather than getting some playing time...Geno apparently disagrees and, I must say, I think he's doing the right thing if the goal is to maximize our NC chances...

And I quite agree... I suppose there are those out there who when presented with an obstacle seemingly so great simply take the easy road, maybe even quit, especially when solving the problem involves a public venue rather than a private one.

It is the mark of a great teacher and also that of a great student to carry on regardless to ensure that they have done all that they could to resolve the problem.

At times this board is a strange place. I remember when Tina and Renee and Maya were undefeated heading into the championship game, their dominance seemingly unquestioned in the championship theirs for the taking. Yet posted on this board were questions and doubts of incredible magnitude which was confusing to say the least after season of such a success. It lets me to write a poem about how I believe in this team. If I could I would rustle up that poem and change the names to Geno and Bria to show that I believe that this will sort itself out and victory in for whatever form will again be UConn's... Not ours, but UConn's and Bria's

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
And I quite agree... I suppose there are those out there who when presented with an obstacle seemingly so great simply take the easy road, maybe even quit, especially when solving the problem involves a public venue rather than a private one.

It is the mark of a great teacher and also that of a great student to carry on regardless to ensure that they have done all that they could to resolve the problem.

At times this board is a strange place. I remember when Tina and Renee and Maya were undefeated heading into the championship game, their dominance seemingly unquestioned in the championship theirs for the taking. Yet posted on this board were questions and doubts of incredible magnitude which was confusing to say the least after season of such a success. It lets me to write a poem about how I believe in this team. If I could I would rustle up that poem and change the names to Geno and Bria to show that I believe that this will sort itself out and victory in for whatever form will again be UConn's... Not ours, but UConn's and Bria's

Amen, sister...and I really don't view posters like the Big Petunia as indicative of the kind of comment I've observed on this board...he seems to be trying to get inside Bria's head in a negative way, which irritates me no end...that said, knowing where Bria hails from...I grew up pretty close...there is no way anyone is going to get into that young lady's head, Big Petunia can try all he likes, it's like shooting spitballs at a battleship IMHO...!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy et al

In all seriousness

And I know its not good form to tell people what to do.
And this is not only to you, but you seem to have taken a leadership role in a version of correct style form for the community
So consider this a humble request, something to take under consideration.

On this, and several other threads, we have two kinds of posts.
Those discussing the issue at hand and those discussing poster's integrity and right to make the comments that they make. (an oversimplification, but I think all know what I mean).

We have Mods and they are more than adequate to temper unwanted utterances.

Why don't all of us just stick to the issues and not get into personal disparagement?
I for one will miss Petunia.
I thought his recent posts were unnecessarily mean, but it could have been dealt with w/o his (threatened) leaving.
I'm a big boy and can take my lumps when I err, some of the newer posters are more sensitive.
And we've lost a lot of good ones along the way; very possibly for this reason, John Fryer comes to mind.
Let's talk about BB, not each other.

As I say, a humble request.

Michael

Reaction Score
I don't like all the Bria bashing on this board, but I can understand why UCONN Fans, including myself are a little nervous that without the old Bria, UCONN has very little chance of winning the National Championship. In fact even with last years Bria Hartley UCONN still might not be able to beat Baylor or Notre Dame. I do know though that without a contribution from Bria, as well as Breanna and Kiah, UCONN has very little chance of beating the above mentioned teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy et al

In all seriousness

And I know its not good form to tell people what to do.
And this is not only to you, but you seem to have taken a leadership role in a version of correct style form for the community
So consider this a humble request, something to take under consideration.

On this, and several other threads, we have two kinds of posts.
Those discussing the issue at hand and those discussing poster's integrity and right to make the comments that they make. (an oversimplification, but I think all know what I mean).

We have Mods and they are more than adequate to temper unwanted utterances.

Why don't all of us just stick to the issues and not get into personal disparagement?
I for one will miss Petunia.
I thought his recent posts were unnecessarily mean, but it could have been dealt with w/o his (threatened) leaving.
I'm a big boy and can take my lumps when I err, some of the newer posters are more sensitive.
And we've lost a lot of good ones along the way; very possibly for this reason, John Fryer comes to mind.
Let's talk about BB, not each other.

As I say, a humble request.

Michael

No offense, Michael, but you are full of it.

Find me my posts where I question a posters integrity, or their right to post.

You list me as a ring leader of some strange quest to control the board. Weird.

Posters are posting their opinion. Other posters are posting theirs.

The End.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you believe in the law of averages.... after watching the USF game we are in great shape. If you dont and we can play good defense at ND we win big. I know some of you are thinking hey were playing at ND, and its a tuff place to play, and ND will be at the line all day, and McBride and Diggins will kill us. LOL I know thats what some of you are thinking. IMO no offense thats "stinkin thinkin". Im looking at it a little differently. We shouldve won the first time, but injuries and Doty injured and on the bench in the first couple of minutes, KML got hurt was on the bench then a couple of fouls and Stef with a couple of fouls and all those shots we missed with seconds left. Well I dont think that happens this time. I think this time we are thinking are backs are againest the wall and we do win this game at ND.

Reaction Score
People are acting like she's not making shots on purpose. Do you think she wants to be a shooting slump? I especially don't understand the mocking "All American" stuff which seems very Middle School, imo. Bria has played at a very high level for more than two years but since she's been slow to recover from her injury, mentally, and her confidence in her shot is wavering, she's somehow not worthy of our support. To quote our friend doggydaddy - unbelievable.

The kid is a shooter. The only way she's going to get her confidence back is to keep shooting. I hope she ignores all the nay-sayers and just keeps shooting until she's out of her slump.
Couldn't agree with you more. Keep shooting is the answer for a shooter. I saw a question posed to Diana this year at halftime and the reporter asked what she was going to do since she had such a poor first half shooting. Her response was "Don't worry, I'm going to keep shooting." During the USF game, Bria worked harder than anyone on the court. No buckets, but it happens sometimes. She may light N.D. up for 20.

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This board lately is getting just like the Summitt. If you have an opinion that criticizes the play of the team, players and/or coaching staff there are posters that are quick to ridicule the poster and imply or state outright the poster doesn't know what he's talking about or we don't welcome posts such as yours. Many posters on this board only welcome posters who only wear Husky Blue Glasses and no criticism of the team is warranted.

I've read most of the posts about Bria's play and haven't found them to be a personal attack/bash on Bria's character or effort of play. Most recognize that she's trying hard, but the shots aren't falling. Majority of the posts are saying without Bria playing at her previous levels, then this team has a slim chance of the Team's Goal at the beginning of the year, Win the National Championship. IMHO that's a fair and objective opinion to have.

This team will not win a National Championship if it only gets offensive production from KML and Stef. Other players on the team have to step up even if its a different player every game. In yesterday's game Kelly & Caroline attempted 6 shots in 44 minutes of play, IMHO totally unacceptable. Both players had wide open looks in the flow of the offense and didn't look to take their shots. I do give Bria credit and I think the coaching staff had a lot to do with it, attempted 11 shots; some of them forced; but she was trying to provide the team offense. I'd rather see Bria's efforts then Caroline & Kelly not taking wide open looks or driving to the basket in an effort to get to the free throw line. Sure, Caroline and Kelly contribute to the team in other areas besides offense, but to win a National Championship, the team needs offensive contribution from all 5 players on the court. BTW, I consider shot attempts in the flow of the offense contribution regardless if the shot is made or not. It doesn't allow the other team to double or in some cases triple team players who are scoring.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Because you dont have to fix what did go right.

Actually, as an educator, I believe this is incorrect. If you can't identify, either for yourself, or the student, what they are doing well, you can't make their actions a conscious choice, and then consciously repeatable. "What did I do that made a good thing happen?"

Consider this scenario for fans: "Oooo, she scored. That was nice. Good!" vs. a Geno-esque breakdown of the actions each player took that allowed the shot to be taken, and then a Ice-esque analysis of the actual form of that player's shot.

So, then, the relatively simplistic "Oooo, she didn't score. That was bad. She's in a slump!" or "She disappeared in the second half" can turn in to - Hmmm... the opposing player did a great job getting over screens, pushing her out of the paint, blocking off the passing lanes. Or, hmmmm, she didn't drive close enough to the screen to peel off her defender, or hmmmm, the go on that give and go was a hair slow, or hmmmm... she wasn't able to square her shoulders, or the angle of her shoulder/elbow is causing a flat shot.

And, I feel that behind every comment should be this two-level reality: 1) Do I analyze myself and others in this manner. Do I hold myself to the same standards as I hold 20 year old? 2) It's basketball. It's really a waste of time. If we focused as much of our energy and resources on, say, education or building a healthier community, imagine how the world would change.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will offer one note of adjustment to the idea that Bria must shoot herself out of the slump. Absolutely, she must be taking shots BUT she needs to keep taking good shots and not just shooting indiscriminately as if simple volume is the secret to success. Throwing up low % shots leads to low % results and more frustrations.

Bria needs to be taking quality shots in rhythm which have the greatest likelihood of success. For Bria these include spot up Js, pull up jumpers in the lane, and open drives to the hoop. The shots she is taking must be those she is most comfortable with so that she can be relaxed and have the most at ease mental image leading to success.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this is a international message board, not your living room... some things just shouldn't be said in public!

Reaction Score
The thing is, there isn't much discussion that can stem from analyzing Bria's play to the degree that it's been analyzed. The Board is doing that to no other player.

Sure, we can speculate why she's having such an issue. Perhaps the injury led to poor confidence and now that she's healthy her confidence is at a low. Perhaps she's still injured. Perhaps she's going through a personal issue. Perhaps she needs to get her eyes checked. Perhaps Caroline's poor play - forcing Bria to spend a majority of time at the point - hurts Bria's ability to get out of her slump, because she has a lot more pressure. There's a lot of possibilities there, and sure..we can speculate, but what difference does it make? And even if we do talk about it..it is all speculation..no one actually knows. But of course, this speculation is harmless.

And I suppose we can discuss what our team will be like if she isn't playing to the level that we expected her to play. But that's true for Caroline and Breanna..and to an extent Stokes, Tuck, and Jefferson...and quite frankly Kelly's play has dipped since the beginning of the season.Also, this discussion..with all of these players, is harmless.

Or perhaps talking about ways in which Bria can maybe get herself out of her funk. Someone suggested that she just worry about the things she can control. Perhaps have her watch old film of herself in big games. Maybe the team should make a bigger effort to get her going. Maybe she just needs a break from basketball. (And lucky for us, she'll get one.) Once again good discussion comes from this.

And we've discussed Caroline and Breanna...but neither player gets the vitriol that Bria gets. Why would "fans" mock or question her AA status of last season? Do fans thinks she wants to playing as she is? This is a player who has never gotten the respect she deserves on this board in the first place. (I remember as a sophomore, people suggesting Bria shouldn't start for Kaleena - a freshman who no one had seen play yet. Bria was our best returning player at that point.) It's just strange. And then people get into dissecting every mistake she makes. As if no other player is making mistakes (many, much more so than Bria).

And this type of stuff, is what many of us have a problem with. We have a problem with mocking Hartley, questioning her work ethic and talent, with belittling her accomplishments. And as much as some "Fans" have a right to do such a thing, other..actual fans..have a right to say its annoying.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And I suppose we can discuss what our team will be like if she isn't playing to the level that we expected her to play. But that's true for Caroline and Breanna..and to an extent Stokes, Tuck, and Jefferson...and quite frankly Kelly's play has dipped since the beginning of the season.Also, this discussion..with all of these players, is harmless.

And we've discussed Caroline and Breanna...but neither player gets the vitriol that Bria gets. Why would "fans" mock or question her AA status of last season? Do fans thinks she wants to playing as she is? This is a player who has never gotten the respect she deserves on this board in the first place.

I would disagree with about Bria not getting the support of the board same as other players. We all have favorites and seem to think our favorite gets the most flack. I think Bria has had a ton of support as she should.

One difference between her and Caroline or Breanna is expectations because she has been acknowledged as an AA. Expectations of CD are reduced because we all know her injuries and how hard she has fought just to be on the court. Expectations for Breanna are less because she is a freshman and we all know the struggle that includes.

The higher the expectations of you, reasonable or unreasonable, the greater the critical observation one is going to undergo. The expectations put on an AA are tremendous and are hard to fulfill. Ask Alyssa Thomas. None of the UCONN players deserve the second guessing and flack they receive at times. Not Bria. Not CD. Not Kelly. Not Breanna. Not anyone on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom