I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think that the Carolina crew have the stranglehold that they once did....more members and more votes have diluted their tobacco road cabal vote. There are now challenging factions.

UNC is not the gorilla that Texas still is in the Big 12...nor carry the weight of OSU and Michigan in the B1G.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Please Carolina still runs the ACC. They threw FSU a bone - but once they did the Noles got back in line.

Anyone who wants to wager even money on Carolina not being in the ACC a decade from now - I'm happy to take it with a 10k limit.

Up to $10K, eh? Its Saturday night, so I assume you're into the good stuff pretty well by now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Up to $10K, eh? Its Saturday night, so I assume you're into the good stuff pretty well by now.

I wish. Carolina remaning in the ACC is an absolute guarantee.

Queen Elizabeth is more likely to leave England.

Jeter is more likely to accept a deadline trade to Oakland.

Reaction Score
Question: In your scenario where "the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC" what to do with the elephant in the room a.k.a. UNC? The Tarheels are the lynchpin of the ACC & have been rumored in many threads as pairing with UVa to the B1G. How to separate the links of UVa-V.Tech & UNC-NC State? Not trying to throw a bucket of water on your enthusiasm, just a reality check.
First of all I think UCONN is a bigger elephant, second of all I don't think Delaney would touch UNC with what has gone on down there lately........

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y-of-north-carolina-ncaa-infractions/1625329/

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Please Carolina still runs the ACC. They threw FSU a bone - but once they did the Noles got back in line.

LOL...if you believe that, nothing else I can tell you will change your mind.

Anyone who wants to wager even money on Carolina not being in the ACC a decade from now - I'm happy to take it with a 10k limit.

Nobody knows what D-I athletics will look like a decade from now.

Reaction Score
I don't think that the Carolina crew have the stranglehold that they once did....more members and more votes have diluted their tobacco road cabal vote. There are now challenging factions.

UNC is not the gorilla that Texas still is in the Big 12...nor carry the weight of OSU and Michigan in the B1G.

Thats been point all along. When the first expansion passed, THAT effectively ended UNC's stranglehold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If UNC ever left the ACC, all freaking hell would break loose - if they ever wanted to join the Big Ten or SEC or, hell, the Big 12, it would take a phone call.

Any perceived leverage that Florida State or Clemson or any of the new additions think they have is a mirage. They have no options, but to make sure UNC is happy and that they don't ever want to bail out and take a friend or three with them.

Reaction Score
Lol. UNC goes to the SEC if the former quits. Do you remember where the SECn is based out of?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The SEC Network is based in Charlotte because a) ESPN owns it and b) that's where ESPN Regional is located.

Unfortunately, Joe, I think we can conclusively say that you don't bring anything to the board and as such, I think we can release you from your obligations here.

I recommend a West Virginia board.

Reaction Score
If Delany added Carolina to the Big 10 he'd rent the Canyon of Heroes and ride a float naked to celebrate.
I don't know why someone would be refer to UNC as the "elephant in the room", in basketball I think Roy has lost his touch and is thinking of retiring and in football just last year they were blown out by East Carolina, lost to South Carolina, lost to Georgia Tech, and lost to a couple others including that perennial football power Duke. Not to mention the world of they are in with the NCAA investigations, the Chancellors resignation because of it, graduate students taking tests for athletes, a professors class that gave "A's" to athletes and as it turns out the classes never took place. The only elephant in the room is one big one that's about to take a gigantic dump on Chapel Hill. Delaney would invite Wisc-Green Bay before UNC.

I mean the football program has had it's problems over the years, yeah Mack Brown was okay, but they have not really had any national respect in football since Carl Snavely and the guy after him, but that was ages ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know why someone would be refer to UNC as the "elephant in the room", in basketball I think Roy has lost his touch and is thinking of retiring and in football just last year they were blown out by East Carolina, lost to South Carolina, lost to Georgia Tech, and lost to a couple others including that perennial football power Duke. Not to mention the world of they are in with the NCAA investigations, the Chancellors resignation because of it, graduate students taking tests for athletes, a professors class that gave "A's" to athletes and as it turns out the classes never took place. The only elephant in the room is one big one that's about to take a gigantic dump on Chapel Hill. Delaney would invite Wisc-Green Bay before UNC.

I mean the football program has had it's problems over the years, yeah Mack Brown was okay, but they have not really had any national respect in football since Carl Snavely and the guy after him, but that was ages ago.

All of what you state above is true, yet despite that they could join The B1G or SEC tomorrow. UNC is a name brand in college athletics, and located in a state not currently under the control of either conference. Realistically they belong in The ACC or SEC, but if Delany could get them he would take them. Personally I think they are a bad fit for the conference, but in this day an age fit has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I can only conclude that some folks are absolutely incapable of understanding that CR has next to nothing to do with athletic performance. You would think Rutgers' invite to the B1G would be a 2x4 to the side of the head on this issue, but apparently not........

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I can only conclude that some folks are absolutely incapable of understanding that CR has next to nothing to do with athletic performance. You would think Rutgers' invite to the B1G would be a 2x4 to the side of the head on this issue, but apparently not...
Except when it's used as a knock against us. The rules change to constantly paint us in a negative light.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Delaney would invite UNC before they even finished asking. There are only five traditional Bluebloods in college bball, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and UNC (UConn is as close as you can get without being one). You have to take them. The academic issue will blow over, eventually and you get the flagship school of a very fast growing state being packed with many Big10 alumni. That's not even including the academics and research they would add to The CiC. No matter what happened with the academics of the athletes, they still are a top notch school. These are 50 year decisions, remember. The scandal will have run its course in a couple years, at most.

That being said, UNC is not coming to the Big10 unless The ACC is falling apart.

Reaction Score
Delaney would invite UNC before they even finished asking. There are only five traditional Bluebloods in college bball, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and UNC (UConn is as close as you can get without being one). You have to take them. The academic issue will blow over, eventually and you get the flagship school of a very fast growing state being packed with many Big10 alumni. That's not even including the academics and research they would add to The CiC. No matter what happened with the academics of the athletes, they still are a top notch school. These are 50 year decisions, remember. The scandal will have run its course in a couple years, at most.

That being said, UNC is not coming to the Big10 unless The ACC is falling apart.

Not so sure the academic issue is going to blow over. Rather, it's going to spread like wildfire soon. Accrediting agencies are all over this right now, and they are looking around at many other schools. All these classes that keep athletes eligible will now need to be justified.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not so sure the academic issue is going to blow over. Rather, it's going to spread like wildfire soon. Accrediting agencies are all over this right now, and they are looking around at many other schools. All these classes that keep athletes eligible will now need to be justified.

Things might change going forward but UNC is not going to be punished. Other than some State fans and a handful of people at the N&O nobody really seems to give a damn anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not referring to the NCAA, though the NCAA will have to address and confront what it means for courses to go unaccredited. And these schools can't have these unaccredited courses anymore. I recently heard that there's a team of lawyers at UNC battling with the mid-states accreditation agency right now, but that the same rigor is going on elsewhere. This has a lot to do with student loans and the higher federal standards for accreditation. A lot of for-profit schools are pointing to UNC's scandal as evidence that non-profit universities are gaming the system. I would also direct those agencies to look at APR.

So a potential outcome from the past acts is that UNC could lose their accrediation?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So a potential outcome from the past acts is that UNC could lose their accrediation?
That, essentially, was the NCAA's stance when they said it is an academic and not an athletic issue. Unless, you think they were just blowing smoke because they didn't want to take on UNC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That, essentially, was the NCAA's stance when they said it is an academic and not an athletic issue. Unless, you think they were just blowing smoke because they didn't want to take on UNC.

I think the concept of the NCAA in general is silly nevermind the idea that they would have any authority over academic issues at universities.

I get what upstater is saying about accrediation - I can't tell if he is only talking about go forward or if anything from the past could be penalized.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The only thing keeping UCONN from being called a "blueblood" is years, I suppose. We don't have to win another championship for 20 years, but come 2034, our place on the "blueblood" mantle will be rock solid. Because CR moves are made, for the most part, with the next 50 years in mind, UCONN should be considered a blueblood for expansion purposes.

If anyone needs any proof of just how powerful UNC is, they are effectively getting away administering absolutely bogus classes for their athletes, went through a Butch Davis era without losing their football program, and play home games almost every year in the NCAA Tourney. The fact that they have always supported inclusion of UCONN is a very good thing for UCONN, even if doesn't mean that we get into the ACC. UNC holds very serious clout in the P5 - that's why every conference trips over themselves to try to get them (and why the ACC will do whatever it takes to keep them happy).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going forward. But such an agency may have means of dinging schools that I don't know about. As an agency with any teeth whatsoever, it would seem they would have to have such abilities to penalize. But let me be clear: the higher new standards are a result of national political and federal policies. Not a reaction to sports and the NCAA. I did hear however that UNC is the national poster boy for what is going on.

This new separation and set of rules for the P5 make it even more unlikely they receive any penalties.

Reaction Score
The people at these agencies have little to nothing to do with college sports. They couldn't tell you a P5 from a G5 from a Z28. It's a whole separate thing that deals strictly with academics.

Not as far as athletic penalties. I think thats what most people are concerned about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom