I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G | Page 17 | The Boneyard

I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I must really have struck a nerve!

Speaking on behalf of the ordinary people everywhere, what prerequisites are needed to be friends with super important people? Does being a "blogger" disqualify me; that I once worked in the cellular industry too; or is it the harmless meme I have as my Twitter profile pic?

Please educate me on class warfare so I can be moved from the little kids' table at the social gatherings. It makes for boring conversations. You do venom really well, though. In your zeal to thoroughly undress me, you're on a warpath taking shots at everyone in sight. Impressive diatribe, I must say.
Keep posting, Kyle, so I can continue throwing you "likes." That, also, seems to strike a nerve with those who have a bookie on speed dial.

Reaction Score
I'll teach you how to answer questions. Watch, it's quite easy.

Never have I said you can't post what you want. I've only asked about your post length due to your inside information, I would have guess someone that connected would have better things to do.

I'm sorry that you take offense to having it pointing out that you aren't a journalist. I don't care where your education comes from and I made no comment about it.

For some bizarre reason you feel the need to pimp the Big 10 on a UConn message board. I get that you don't understand what a journalist is - but a journalist wouldn't claim to be one and have your avatar.

There is no rule against pimping the Big 10. Just when you do it under the guise of being a journalist and publishing inside information... there isn't any rule against pointing out you are full of .

So your turn:

1. Why are you here?

I don't understand what a journalist is?

I truly wish you had been here for me earlier in my life so I wouldn't have wasted time thinking I was working in journalism. Spending the time at broadcasting school, working at radio stations, newspapers, covering SEC & Big Ten tournaments and teleconferences, covering football and basketball games...joining the USBWA... it all seems like a waste of time, now that you mention it. You're right, my Twitter profile meme discredits that. A MEME AS A PROFILE PICTURE? OH THE HORROR. HOW COULD ANY JOURNALIST LIVE WITH HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Keep posting, Kyle, so I can continue throwing you "likes." That, also, seems to strike a nerve with those who have a bookie on speed dial.

I appreciate it, but I am actually amused more than anything.

The list of things he's coming up with is surreal!

Reaction Score
As a B12 alum (Texas), I also think it will be the B12 that craters and not the ACC.

There are 3 keys to the continued viability of the B12, and in order of importance those keys are: Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. However, the importance of the schools is actually an inverted pyramid because Texas can definitely be forced by Oklahoma, and Oklahoma might play along with Kansas if Kansas took a hankering to leave the B12. Thus, Kansas may actually turn out to be the critical domino in the demise of the B12. Here's what I mean ....

Texas' LHN has now found national carriage with DISH and DirecTV will probably be on-board with the LHN by the end of 2014. The LHN will almost certainly prove to give Texas a nice boost in national recruiting, plus there is the prestige factor involved with having your very own 24/7/365 national network dedicated to all things Longhorn. Thus, Texas wants mightily to keep the B12 glued together since it is not at all clear that any other major conference would allow Texas to keep the LHN in its current form if Texas ever migrated out of the B12. Texas, then, is strong for the continued viability of the B12 into the long and distant future.

The glue to Texas' keeping the B12 together is Oklahoma. With the losses of Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri, obviously several good football schools in the B12 have been ripped out, leaving only Texas and Oklahoma as recognized football anchors. The B12 is not viable for Texas as the only football power if Oklahoma were ever to migrate out of the B12. So, really, Oklahoma carries a trump card over Texas, "keep us happy or maybe watch your LHN go bye-bye".

Which brings us to Kansas. While I have no information as to the thinking of Kansas' PTB, I can tell you anecdotally that there appears to be a sizable majority of Kansas folks that would like to see Kansas move out of the B12 and into the B1G. And why not? The B12 is severely weakened by previous defections and the B12 footprint has shrunk drastically -- basically to Kansas City and the State of Texas (both of which are shared with the SEC). More importantly, the B12 is not drawing TV viewers outside of the limited B12 footprint. In fact, the B12 is severely slipping in TV ratings behind the SEC in the City of Houston. Also, Kansas lost its major rival in Mizz to the SEC. There is little remaining loyalty to the B12 among Kansas folks that I can glean.

Out of B1G territory, the rumor is that the B1G may have some interest in Kansas, especially if things don't work out for the B1G in adding any more eastern schools. This is not particularly earth-shaking news since Kansas is AAU, the founder of basketball, a basketball powerhouse, is contiguous to the B1G, and therefore brings significant value to the B1G (and the B1G to Kansas). There is every reason to believe that Kansas would be attractive to the B1G, at least in a back-up plan capacity. Personally, I think that if the B1g offered Kansas toward the end of the B12 GOR, and before the GOR is re-upped, Kansas would accept a BiG offer in a heartbeat. This is assumption #1.

How would a Kansas defection, if it happened, affect Texas? Texas wouldn't like a Kansas defection -- not at all -- but Kansas -> B1G wouldn't likely shake Texas out of the B12. So long as Oklahoma stays in the B1G, I have no doubt Texas stays put.

How would a Kansas defection affect Oklahoma? Here I think things get interesting. Oklahoma's PTB yearn for academic validation. Both Boren and Castiglione have been quoted to the effect that they want to raise OU's academics to the first rank. They don't get academic validation in the truncated B12, and, frankly, probably never will. They don't get it in the SEC, no matter how many new AAU schools the SEC has added in the recent past (Mizz and A&M). Oklahoma would get academic validation in the B1G, being able to join the CIC, with fast-track toward AAU membership. Oklahoma would also re-establish the OU-NU rivalry, no small matter. I also think the Sooners would guess that they could preserve OU-Texas even if Texas didn't follow them to the B1G. I think, if offered by the B1G (that's a big "if"), there is a very distinct probability that Oklahoma would follow Kansas to the B1G. OU to the B1G is assumption #2 (and is the weakest of the assumptions).

Thus would Texas' hand be called out. Texas cannot remain in the B12 without Oklahoma because without OU, the B12 loses its last remaining football anchor (other than Texas). If KU and OU defected, ushering in the final crisis of the B12, Texas could probably pick the conference that gave it the best deal on its LHN. To me, the B1G has the most ability to fold in the LHN into the BTN, and, financially, give Texas the best deal there. My guess is that for Texas it would boil down to the B1G and the SEC in the end, with the PAC as an outside possibility. If Texas did join the B1G -- and I personally think we would -- then UConn suddenly comes into focus.

A league of 17 is disjointed. A league of 18 is not as manageable as a league of 20, due to the symmetry of pods, but a league of 18 can work adequately, schedule-wise.

There are a lot of wild-cards.

For example, right now, the B12 grosses more money "per school" than any other conference. If this continues, nobody -- including Kansas -- is going to want to leave the B12. But if the B1G really does begin to gross $44.5M per school beginning in 2017, as rumored, then that might persuade Kansas to hesitate before agreeing to re-up the B12 GOR when that time arises. The B12 is expected to reach $40M-$45M per school, but not until the 2025 time-frame. In 2025, the B1g will undoubtedly be grossing much, much more than $44.5M per school since these TV contracts are always back-loaded. Assumption #3 is that the B1G grosses around $44.5M beginning in 2017, with payouts increasing thereafter.

Also, I think Delany prefers to expand with east coast schools down the eastern seaboard, not schools in the prairie states. I think the B1G is determined to wait out MY-ACC to see if UVA shakes out of the ACC, and then add UVA and some other school to balance out UVA. I used to think that other school would be UConn, but now, after synthesizing dayooper's information about BC upthread (via FtT), I am not so sure. Maybe BC looks a whole lot better to the B1G than I previously realized.

At any rate, if UVA doesn't shake out, then Delany may decide to examine a potential B12 gambit to the west. Delany's said he doesn't want to be responsible for destroying a conference, but maybe that was just talk for public consumption, to make him sound like "a good guy after all." In truth and fact, it appears inevitable today that either the B12 or the ACC is going to be destroyed at some point in the next 10 years. You pick.

If Delany does pull out KU, OU, and Texas from the B12, then I think UConn would be sitting pretty because there's no guarantee at that point that the ACC will ever fracture beyond the loss of Maryland. The ACC GOR might well keep the ACC intact if the B12 is wrecked. And there's UConn at #18 with no GOR to get in the way.

I think B1G and SEC raids on the ACC produce the worst case scenario for UConn. If the B1G and the SEC successfully dismantle the ACC, that might well freeze UConn out of the B1G, in favor of BC, leaving UConn with an option to join a crippled ACC, or, as a remote possibility, a crippled and distant B12. Neither being good choices for UConn, I should think. Of course, there's still the possibility that FtT's information is dated or wrong, and maybe the B1G does esteem UConn more than BC, so there's that, too.

Still ... from the pov of UConn to the B1G, I think it is better for the B1G to raid the B12 and not the ACC. UConn's great advantage is that they are not subject to a GOR. Again, this is all JMO.

I'm going to have to disagree with you over the Big12-4+2 pecking order. The Landthieves CR thread said that OU already bluffed that they would leave for the PAC with or without Texas. UT called and said "go if you want" and the Sooners froze because they cannot leave for anywhere (maybe SEC excepted) without Texas. The rump Big12 is dependent on recruiting the state of Texas.

Reaction Score
Precisely. UNC and UVA could have seriously destabilized the ACC without having a certain place elsewhere. Don't you think that sort of petulance would have sent up seriously red flags in the B1G and SEC? Why not just hang out signs in Chapel Hill and Charlottesville: Prima donna available, inquire within.

Well, such a destabilization would only occur if teams actually left the ACC - other than that it's all hot air. If teams did leave - and say they were UVA and UNC - as everyone here has speculated, why would they care about whether or not the conference they are leaving is destabilized? Did any of the schools who have already bolted to another conference care about this? Did the conferences they were joining care about this?

Look, in the end, I agree with Whaler. I find it very hard to believe that a Maryland would have been invited before a UVA or UNC if either of these two schools wanted in. I also find it hard to believe that either would sign the GOR if they aspirations to leave.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't understand what a journalist is?

I should give back my education in broadcast journalism then?

Should I have not worked at those three radio stations? Was it a mistake to intern for a 50,000-watt radio station at 16 years old?

Was I wasting my time for the three newspapers I wrote for?

What about the press credentials I received from Ohio State, Michigan, Ohio University, Georgia, Georgia Tech, etc., to cover football and basketball games over the years?

Why did I bother covering the 2007-2009 SEC Basketball Tournament? Was I wasting my time jumping on the weekly Big Ten and SEC coaches' teleconferences?

Should I have given back my membership to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association?

I truly wish you had been here for me earlier in my life so I wouldn't have wasted time thinking I was working in journalism. You're right, my Twitter profile meme discredits that. A MEME AS A PROFILE PICTURE? OH THE HORROR. HOW COULD ANY JOURNALIST LIVE WITH HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!

Yes you've confused access with journalism. I'm sorry this makes you so angry. Dick Vitale can get credentialed at the SEC Tourney - is he a journalist too?

Since you must have slept through some classes I'll give you the Wikipedia cheatsheet on the definition of journalism:

Journalism is a method of inquiry and literary style that aims to provide a service to the public by the dissemination and analysis of news and other information.

Journalistic integrity is based on the principles of truth, disclosure, and editorial independence.

While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of —truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability — as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public.

What do you think the key word is there? Spoiler: Impartial!

Oh Btw I liked how you managed to not answer the one question I posed.

Reaction Score
Yes you've confused access with journalism. I'm sorry this makes you so angry. Vitale can get credentialed at the SEC Tourney - is he a journalist too?

Since you must have slept through some classes I'll give you the Wikipedia cheatsheet on the definition of journalism:

Journalism is a method of inquiry and literary style that aims to provide a service to the public by the dissemination and analysis of news and other information.

Journalistic integrity is based on the principles of truth, disclosure, and editorial independence.

While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of —truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability — as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public.

I can't think of one cable news channel that fits this criteria.

Reaction Score
It's amazing in this thread I was called immature. That you have no clue should potentially lead you to just keeping your mouth shut but for some reason you'd prefer to keep yapping.

You'd do well to actually learn some about markets and how they work, but you can start pretty simply by learning what a wager is.
What's a Pigskin? How come there are only four downs? If it walks like duck and talks like a duck....does it have to be a duck? ....and lastly, What's a Noobian?
Define Wager:
An agreement in which people try to guess what will happen and the person who guesses wrong has to give something (such as money) to the person who guesses right....and that is how you play the market, hmmm when I buy stocks - I try not to GUESS what will happen, I look for trends, I do research, I look at the technical data but really, I'd rather operate on the trader's commission because so long as the market is busy, you'll make the money. Its the SURE BET - Pun intended.
Now please, tell me something, anything, I need to know how AWESOME you are, Tell me something about UConn, please spell out CT for me. I would love to be in the light of your greatness, but if I must exist in your shadow, I will be content knowing you provided the darkness. You are the BEST, numero uno, the big cheese, the king, the Don Juan of Don Juans,
He once had an argument that lasted 72 straight hours, it was with himself. I know when you rarely drink beer you prefer Dos Equis - You are the Most Interesting Man in the World

Reaction Score
Yes you've confused access with journalism. I'm sorry this makes you so angry. Vitale can get credentialed at the SEC Tourney - is he a journalist too?

You're using Wikipedia to reinforce your definition of journalism?

You have just provided the most amusing irony I've ever seen on a message board. So much so I'm going to like your post. That's comedy gold.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's a Pigskin? How come there are only four downs? If it walks like duck and talks like a duck....does it have to be a duck? ....and lastly, What's a Noobian?
Define Wager:
An agreement in which people try to guess what will happen and the person who guesses wrong has to give something (such as money) to the person who guesses right....and that is how you play the market, hmmm when I buy stocks - I try not to GUESS what will happen, I look for trends, I do research, I look at the technical data but really, I'd rather operate on the trader's commission because so long as the market is busy, you'll make the money. Its the SURE BET - Pun intended.
Now please, tell me something, anything, I need to know how AWESOME you are, Tell me something about UConn, please spell out CT for me. I would love to be in the light of your greatness, but if I must exist in your shadow, I will be content knowing you provided the darkness. You are the BEST, numero uno, the big cheese, the king, the Don Juan of Don Juans,
He once had an argument that lasted 72 straight hours, it was with himself. I know when you rarely drink beer you prefer Dos Equis - You are the Most Interesting Man in the World

Yep I'm immature and you still haven't figured out what a wager is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You have just provided the most amusing irony I've ever seen on a message board. So much so I'm going to like your post. That's comedy gold.

No I'm really trying to help you because you've somehow confused blogging for a fan site with journalism.

You still haven't answered a single question. What would possibly possess a cell phone guy in Atlanta to post on behalf of the Big 10 on a UConn message board?

Reaction Score
No I'm really trying to help you because you've somehow confused blogging for a fan site with journalism.

You still haven't answered a single question. What would possibly possess a cell phone guy in Atlanta to post on behalf of the Big 10 on a UConn message board?

You're coming off as a real whack job, frankly. Without having the slightest clue about my life, you pass yourself off as eager to hear my responses to your questions even though you've spent all this time telling me what I am and what I'm not, and who I do and don't know. You're blatantly ignoring, or refusing to believe, the years I spent working radio and for newspapers and magazines based on your undoubtedly exhaustive Google search, that you now perceive as "blogging for a fansite." So why would I bother to explain myself when you already assume ignorantly I'm just some "cell phone guy in Atlanta?"

Since you obviously know all about me, why are you asking me any questions? You've spent plenty of time answering for me already.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Somehow I think "spooked" is your word...or at the very least not Delany's. What's Notre Dame got to do with Penn State?

This was the question that was asked of you.

The BUG was upset that we were willing to compromise independence with someone else, as opposed to give it up entirely for to become one of their vassals. But ND was far from Delaney's primary motivation. I'm sure it was the sum total of:

Pitt, Syr, ND, three semi-traditional rivals of PSU.
Had surrounded PSU which was a geographic outlier from the start far from Columbus.
The Lion crowd were furious that Delaney had decided to tack on extra punishment in addition to the NCAAs knee jerk reaction. Their fans were starting to want out.

The BUG has their inside man running Maryland, who was in financial trouble.

The above are all secondary factors in addition to the major selling points of UM/RU, {tv markets, recruiting grounds for a demographically challenged conference, academics, and two easy annual wins for UM/Ohio.}

Why would you bring up Pitt, 'Cuse, and ND as rivals? It doesn't answer the question that was asked unless you were implying that the Big10 was worried that those schools could be used as reason for jumping to the ACC. I understand you love your university and think it's the center of the football universe. Most traditional schools do (I know the Michigan arrogance runs deep with most). That being said, ND has no relevance on what PSU does. They have had a small rivalry (I think the record is 9-8-1 in favor of PSU, but I could be wrong), but I doubt that most PSU fans really care about what conference ND is in. The only reason I can come up with why you would say that is that the Big10 was worried that PSU was looking to move to The ACC. It was the first reason you gave. Why else would that "spook" the Big10?

Then you made assertion that Loh was put in place (or used by the Big10) to get UMD to switch.

Now maybe I jumped the gun, but as long as you keep up the stupid, sophomoric rhetoric you use, I will always look at what you post with a negative eye. The pinned visitors guide listed your words as one of the reasons why it was put into place in the first place.

Now I could care less what you think of the Big10 just like you could care less what I think of ND. The issue is I don't go around disparaging ND whenever I talk about them. I understand that you think The Big10 did some damage or offended you at some point in time. Whatever stupid stuff in the past that Fielding Yost, or Bo Schembechler, or some Big10 represented said 100 or 30 years ago that get your panties in a bunch are just that, in the past. Here's a little secret: you wouldn't be where you are today with out Fielding Yost blocking you from The Big10. You are where you are because of the events that happened to you in the past, both positive and negative.

You want some respect? Give it. You want good dialogue? Give it.

Reaction Score

But I thought he knew everything! Please say it aint so, say it aint so! Oh wait, I know, Wikipedia used your research, your answer! Forgive me for ever having doubted you! I hope Wikipedia is giving you the deserved credit for this, I think they should pay you royalties. Man, you must be earning more than $400,000 in family income, wait your not only the most interesting man in the world, the smartest, the brightest, but your humble too! Wow I wish I was able to have a bite of that humble pie.
Yep I'm immature and you still haven't figured out what a wager is.
immature...I'm rubber and your glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you! I have to say, I have in all seriousness not stopped laughing since you responded. My apologies to everyone but I really needed these laughs and I am glad Mr. Awesome here was kind enough to provide some. SO THANK YOU, but some of us have work in the morning,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But I thought you knew everything! Please say it aint so, say it aint so! Oh wait, I know, Wikipedia used your research, your answer! Forgive me for ever having doubted you! I hope Wikipedia is giving you the deserved credit for this, I think they should pay you royalties. Man, you must be earning more than $400,000 in family income, wait your not only the most interesting man in the world, the smartest, the brightest, but your humble too! Wow I wish I was able to have a bite of that humble pie.

immature...I'm rubber and your glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you! I have to say, I have in all seriousness not stopped laughing since you responded. My apologies to everyone but I really needed these laughs and I am glad Mr. Awesome here was kind enough to provide some. SO THANK YOU, but some of us have work in the morning,

It's a pity he can't comprehend the sheer humor in using Wikipedia to back up his definition of journalism.

If he really knew anything about journalism, he'd know that schools and newspapers have Wikipedia blacklisted because it's a "second hand source." Lecturing me about journalism with a site that is blacklisted by those actually in the industry. Oohhhh you cannot script it any better than that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're coming off as a real whack job, frankly. Without having the slightest clue about my life, you pass yourself off as eager to hear my responses to your questions even though you've spent all this time telling me what I am and what I'm not, and who I do and don't know. You're blatantly ignoring, or refusing to believe, the years I spent working radio and for newspapers and magazines based on your undoubtedly exhaustive Google search, that you now perceive as "blogging for a fansite." So why would I bother to explain myself when you already assume ignorantly I'm just some "cell phone guy in Atlanta?"

Since you obviously know all about me, why are you asking me any questions? You've spent plenty of time answering for me already.

Are you George O'Leary? Were you writing for the Economist but just put Buckeye sites on your resume for impact?

Your background is clear, you made a point to bring it into the discussion.

You seem like a bright guy - I am not sure why you are so angry about scout not being journalism.

As to why you won't answer a simple question... nobody but you knows.

Reaction Score
That this nonsense gets likes from UConn fans is pretty funny. It's another guy calling the Big 10 'us' who loves an Ohio State blogger.

Hey Drimple... he isn't claiming he is posting his opinion he claims he is posting inside information.

It's not surprising big talkers like Drimple would frown on monetary wagers because they have big mouths and no way to back them up - so they try to pretend that 'adults' don't make wagers. The problem with that stance is the entire American economy is predicated on Americans making wagers. It's called the stock market.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a pity he can't comprehend the sheer humor in using Wikipedia to back up his definition of journalism.

If he really knew anything about journalism, he'd know that schools and newspapers have Wikipedia blacklisted because it's a "second hand source." Lecturing me about journalism with a site that is blacklisted by those actually in the industry. Oohhhh you cannot script it any better than that.

Yes you are such a tremendous journalist you don't actually work in the industry.

Reaction Score
Are you George O'Leary? Were you writing for the Economist but just put Buckeye sites on your resume for impact?

Your background is clear, you made a point to bring it into the discussion.

You seem like a bright guy - I am not sure why you are so angry about scout not being journalism.

As to why you won't answer a simple question... nobody but you knows.

Dude you're a nut job.

You can have the last word. You already know everything about me, yet you're still having to ask questions. Uhm hm.

I'm really not angry, just annoyed and astonished. You've proven yourself to be quite a hypocrite. You lecture everyone about what they do and don't know, yet after 30 seconds searching on Google, you think you're in position to tell someone they're a liar and they aren't even in the career they say they are. And yet being so sure I'm lying and not what I say I am, you still want me to answer your questions as if you'd believe anything I have to say. Fascinating.

You resorted to Wikipedia, though. You lose not only the conversation, but you have lost any sense of dignity.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude you're a nut job.

You can have the last word. You already know everything about me, yet you're still having to ask questions. Uhm hm.

I'm really not angry, just annoyed and astonished. You've proven yourself to be quite a hypocrite. You lecture everyone about what they do and don't know, yet after 30 seconds searching on Google, you think you're in position to tell someone they're a liar and they aren't even in the career they say they are. And yet being so sure I'm lying and not what I say I am, you still want me to answer your questions as if you'd believe anything I have to say. Fascinating.

You resorted to Wikipedia, though. You lose not only the conversation, but you have lost any sense of dignity.

I lost any dignity I may have had engaging you in conversation.

I can at least rest easy that I'm not pretending to be something I'm not on a message board for a team that has nothing to do with me.

It's funny that you are so annoyed by a discussion about your credentials. Since you are the one who brought them up and made a point of saying your user name is your real name.

You still aren't going to answer why you are here? What tips would the Ohio Center for Broadcasting suggest to get you to answer that question?

Reaction Score
Edit...

Joe has slipped the surly bonds of the Boneyard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown