If you could pick one past UConn player…who would you add to this team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you could pick one past UConn player…who would you add to this team?

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Going way back here but a pure 3point threat I would say Brian Fair.

Reaction Score
KEA. A point guard who is tough that can show these guys how to win and lead them.
Plus he could get a hoop when you really need one. Something we are lacking at the moment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm going off the obvious (Ray, Kemba) board and taking Doron Sheffer. Can handle the ball, run the point, and hit the 3 off the ball. All still question marks for this team. Doron covers more gaps than Ray or Kemba even if he is not as good as them at any one thing and I think he is a better hedge than any number of our shoot first point guards.

If you think you have a championship caliber point guard and need scoring/3pt shooting, then take Ray. If you think you have reliable outside shooters and need clutch leadership, take Kemba.

Reaction Score
You take Ray/Kemba/Shabazz and this team instantly becomes a national championship favorite.

If I had to pick a non-super star to add to the team, I would have to go with someone like Niels Giffey. Perimeter shooting would really make this team amazing.

Reaction Score
You take Ray/Kemba/Shabazz and this team instantly becomes a national championship favorite.

If I had to pick a non-super star to add to the team, I would have to go with someone like Niels Giffey. Perimeter shooting would really make this team amazing.

I love Giffey and he will always be a fan favorite because of his role on 2 national championship teams (and because he seemed like a guy who was all about the team) but his role as a sniper is wildly overrated in my estimation.

Did he make a single three off the dribble or running off a screen in his UConn career? It seemed like every three he made was a wide open, feet planted, set shot.

Reaction Score
I know he's from another time zone and so am I, but Spider Hesford for is tenacity and guts. You just don't see too many like him nowadays.
Loved Spider, one of my all time favorites

Reaction Score
I love Giffey and he will always be a fan favorite because of his role on 2 national championship teams (and because he seemed like a guy who was all about the team) but his role as a sniper is wildly overrated in my estimation.

Did he make a single three off the dribble or running off a screen in his UConn career? It seemed like every three he made was a wide open, feet planted, set shot.

I agree. He was the beneficiary of having the two best guards on the court at all times. Tons of WIDE OPEN looks. Even then, he was 5-19 during the tourney run and I seem to remember him (and Daniels) missing a few wide-open daggers that would have iced games. Loved Giffey but if we're looking for a "sniper," I'd go with a few guys before him regardless of what is % was his senior year.

Reaction Score
2e758ae1203b0f0524725e1b9024fcbd_crop_exact.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are we talking about NBA Ray or UConn Ray? UConn Ray was defense optional at times.

Hamilton was a better college player than Ray.
I don’t disagree, but his team is not lacking defense. We are lacking outside shooting.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but his team is not lacking defense. We are lacking outside shooting.
RIP was tough curling from the screens offensively he was better IMO he was always moving and losing his man that was defending him. Can't argue against Ray though. both gifted offensively.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
RIP was tough curling from the screens offensively he was better IMO he was always moving and losing his man that was defending him. Can't argue against Ray though. both gifted offensively.
No argument. Rip was tougher.

Reaction Score
I know Ray is the "right" answer but im going to have to go with Caron. This is the type of team i believe Caron can carry to the next level. He could do everything on the court. A frontline of Sanogo, Whaley and Caron? Sign me up!

Reaction Score
How about Donny Marshall's top 5 UConn players (or was it starting 5?)? Awful.

Reaction Score
Who would fit in best with this team? IMO we need a guard. CV would be a great addition as he rebounded and played D and hit his free throws. Rip was great at hitting all shots so he would be second choice.

Reaction Score
this question just made me realize how much better the 2011 team was than this one, and it wasn't even ranked in the preseason. two imminent nba draft picks in kemba and lamb, another pro in giffey. a former all american recruit in alex O. this year's team has a quantity of good players but not the quality.
Just wait. Too early to say for sure what we have. We tend to get taken by surprise sometimes. Neither Kemba or Lamb was anywhere near the level they turned out to be going into 2010-11.

Reaction Score
Going way back here but a pure 3point threat I would say Brian Fair.
If you have a chance to add the 11th-best shooting guard UConn has had in the last 30 years, you have to do it.

Some of you are trying way too hard to be interesting and coming up with some pretty weird suggestions.

Reaction Score
Kemba or Donyell Marshall (except to shoot free-throws in the NCAA Tournament).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom