If you could pick one past UConn player…who would you add to this team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If you could pick one past UConn player…who would you add to this team?

Reaction Score
Eh, three pages in and I'll try something different.

Emeka Okafor. Give me a front line of Emeka, Sanogo at the 4 and Akok at the 3. Cole, Martin wouldn't have to worry about defending anything inside the arc and we'd outrebound the opposition 3 to 1 every single night. Let Jackson run around like a wildman on both ends of the floor.
season 7 cooking GIF by MasterChef Junior

Reaction Score
Those forwards/centers you named would all have trouble breaking into UConn's frontcourt today. Adrien would play but he's a smaller less skilled version of Sanogo.
I don't want them to play - I want them to make us tougher. We used to be ready to brawl and we are a little too much finesse.

Reaction Score
I know he's from another time zone and so am I, but Spider Hesford for is tenacity and guts. You just don't see too many like him nowadays.
Who is Spider Hesford? Did you mean Spider Ursery?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who is Spider Hesford? Did you mean Spider Ursery?

Husky guard Dan Hesford was called ‘Spider’ because of his long arms and legs and tendency to cling like an octopus to whoever he was defending. He clung to Bill Bradley throughout the game, keeping him to 22 points – well below the All-American’s 33.1 game point average.

Reaction Score
You guys aren’t going back far enough. Current team needs a dead eye sniper. Wes Balasuknia (sp?). Too bad the 3 point line wasn’t around when he played. He’d hold all the records.

Reaction Score

Husky guard Dan Hesford was called ‘Spider’ because of his long arms and legs and tendency to cling like an octopus to whoever he was defending. He clung to Bill Bradley throughout the game, keeping him to 22 points – well below the All-American’s 33.1 game point average.
Why wasn't he called "Octopus" then?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pssst.....
Obit_Robinson_43629-1.jpg

i mean, it's not like the entire sport hasn't shifted to Clif phenotype thinking for frontcourt players. or is it? Clif 4 and adama 5? fuhghettabootit.
the answer to any question aboot husky hoops is always 'Clif.' lol.
just like the answer to any question ever is always 'cheese.'

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

First, Great Shooters Clifford Robinson, Rashad Anderson - tied for my top pick.

Wes Bialosuknia, Kemba Walker & Ray Allen tied for point guards who could also shoot exceptionally well from everywhere on the court AND completely control the game.

What do they all have in common? They can really shoot & score, two different skills.

The first two games of '21-22 against inferior opponents showed us nothing. I still don't think we have ANY great outside shooters to keep defenses honest.

I mean, set shooting from the corners unguarded, all alone is NOT what makes a great shooter or scorer.

And I'm no longer fooled by watching Tyler Polley's beautiful stroke that he is either a consistent shooter or scorer. He just doesn't make many shots & his many liabilities as a player keep him on the bench for 2/3 of every game. The holes in Polley's game are all because he has an NBA-type stroke - but a 50 cent head. He brings nothing of substance to this team - especially heart! What does it matter if Polley's 40% three-point shooting is only based on just 3-5 shot attempts per game?

Cliff Robinson was a very mobile, athletic, great passing 6'10" front courtman with an exceptional outside shot. Rashad Anderson was flat-out the all-time best shooter in UConn history.

Wes, Kemba & Ray had unlimited range & could carry the whole offense when they got hot. And they were clutch. They "needed" to take the last shot! True superstars who could help any team they were on in so many ways.

Those guys all provide what I think this current team lacks. UConn hasn't had a truly EXCEPTIOBAL shooter (beautiful stroke, consistency, range, ability to shoot off the dribble, killer competitive instinct, great in clutch time) in many, many years. We just don't get those kinds of shooters up to Storrs anymore. Gotta find out why.

ANY ONE of those guys I mentioned above from UConn's illustrious past could really help this or ANY UConn team win big-time. However, maybe they don't make 'em today like they used to.

Father Demo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know he's from another time zone and so am I, but Spider Hesford for is tenacity and guts. You just don't see too many like him nowadays.
He was a good wide open shooter. Not sure he could play at the current level of competition.

His hustle and long arms rightly earned him the name Spider.

Reaction Score
Just read the post on his holding Bradley to under this average. Did not know that so kudos to him for that.

Reaction Score
Hey Improviser,

I never saw Spider Hesford, but I saw Bill Bradley a lot. He was my hero as a person & player - a peer in the early 60's. Every mother wanted their son to be like Bill Bradley. And this was in the age when most college hoops players actually went to class & graduated. Ha! Saw many of his games at both Princeton & "The Garden."

I vaguely remember watching that UConn-Princeton game you mentioned on black & white TV. But can't remember Hesford's great D on Dollar Bill. Or, maybe Brads just had a poor shooting game. Where is Spider now?

Bradley was the best all-around college player & scorer of his time, in between Oscar & Kareem. Nobody worked harder to improve his game & below-average athleticism. People today forget that Bradley was a such legend in college - & such a great team player in the NBA for ten years on the Knicks two championship teams. And, Bradley became a Rhodes Scholar, US Senator & Presidential candidate in spite of being a basketball player. Ha!

Spider Hesford! From back when there were "real' natural characters in the game, when hoops was a cult for tall kids.

Princeton had a similar body type 'character' guy to Spider Hesford named Ken Shank. He was a three ppg. guy who would surprise everyone & have a really decent game now & then. Ken was legally blind, wearing Coke-bottle, heavy-framed glasses on court! He was a 4.0 student - became a famous cardiologist & surgeon later.

Arms down to his calves like Spider, Shank was really hairy all over - the type you never wanted to be guarded by. And, he could jump through the roof! Guys like Spider & Shank are no longer a part of today's college basketball. They are discouraged early NOT to play this American game today. We need more characters like them on the courts of life.

alohachris

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was such an obvious answer to pick Ray for this that I am struggling to see how Hawkins is not playing more.

Outside shooting is this team’s greatest weakness by far. Hawkins is the best hope we have to shore that up. I know that a few didn’t drop for him today but he should have played a lot more, especially down the stretch. We will be an easy team to scout if he is not playing most of the game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was such an obvious answer to pick Ray for this that I am struggling to see how Hawkins is not playing more.

Outside shooting is this team’s greatest weakness by far. Hawkins is the best hope we have to shore that up. I know that a few didn’t drop for him today but he should have played a lot more, especially down the stretch. We will be an easy team to scout if he is not playing most of the game.
Couldn't agree more 8893 about Hawk
Also, why not try Sool out when RJ was dead tired and Gaff gave the team zero? Crazy decisions keep coming from the bench and it's concerning

Reaction Score
Any one of Kemba, Rip, Ray, Shabazz, Gordon with this team would deliver a title

I think Boatright could also scratch that list with this years team. The toughness of Martin and the Boatshow would be special, plus the proven two PG model with RJ.

We are lucky to have a long list of players, many of whom also belong on this list. Good topic to think about instead of the letdown today. Beat VCU and overall it’s a successful trip to the island.

Reaction Score
Might be a fun discussion before the season begins. If you could pick 1 player in UConn history to add to this team, who are you taking?

I’m going with Ben Gordon. His 3pt shooting, ball handling, and clutch in every huge spot.

Rashad Anderson would be my 2nd choice…most lethal 3pt shooter in UConn history. Maybe the only person who could take a huge shot and you knew it was 100% going in
I can’t think of a UConn player beyond Rudy Gay, Ray, or Rip. However I can think of a player who was from CT but didn’t go to UConn that I’d love to see on this team, and that would be Michael Adams.

Reaction Score
Forget Okafor. The guards aren't deep enough to exploit his talents. Gimme Shabazz, Kemba or maybe Ben Gordon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom