If you could have one more Calhoun-era player join the coaching staff | The Boneyard

If you could have one more Calhoun-era player join the coaching staff

If you could have one more Calhoun Era Player Come Back as a coaching staff member, who would it be?

• Craig Austrie

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Donnell Beverly

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Justin Evanovich

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Jason Baisch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jonathan Mandeldove

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Ruslan Inyatkin

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Oliver Macklin

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Who would it be? This is something I've turned over in my head a few times. Some of the guys who come to mind are (and bare with me, since I've only been in CT since '92 and thus don't know the 86-91 players well) Craig Austrie, Donnell Beverly and Justin Evanovich, to name a few. For humor's sake I'll include Dove as a poll option.

Reaction Score
Why are all the choices marginal players? No offense to those on the list.

The current staff is made up by players who we starters who had a big impact while they were here. KO, KFree, Hobbs, and Ricky were all starters.

Why not have a list like Donyell, Donny, Jake, Travis, Scotty Burrell, Khalid, Marcus Williams...? I could probably run off a list of a couple dozen more names before I'd get to the list of choices you gave us.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's kind of like how the obscure infield utility players in baseball end up becoming good managers. These are all guys who seem to have high basketball IQs and struck me as having the personality intangibles needed to make for a good coach at some level.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Why are all the choices marginal players? No offense to those on the list.

The current staff is made up by players who we starters who had a big impact while they were here. KO, KFree, Hobbs, and Ricky were all starters.

Why not have a list like Donyell, Donny, Jake, Travis, Scotty Burrell, Khalid, Marcus Williams...? I could probably run off a list of a couple dozen more names before I'd get to the list of choices you gave us.

I thought about Donyell, but I doubt that'll happen considering the recent events. I loved the games of Khalid and Marcus Williams but mentally I don't think they'd be a good fit for coaching. Donny Marshall might be a good choice, but for better or worse, I can surely see him getting T'd up a lot.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
There's no option for Curtis Kelly wth!

Reaction Score
I thought about Donyell, but I doubt that'll happen considering the recent events. I loved the games of Khalid and Marcus Williams but mentally I don't think they'd be a good fit for coaching. Donny Marshall might be a good choice, but for better or worse, I can surely see him getting T'd up a lot.
What recent events are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Kemba. He could come back and teach everyone how to break people's ankles:
4m4bz.gif

Reaction Score
Okafor created Hilton Armstrong josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva. Imagine what he could do with brimah

Reaction Score
100% Ray Allen, if only for the recruiting advantages. Imagine being a top high school recruit and Ray Allen walks into your home to sell you on the school he loves. Game over.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
you want recruits to come here, you get ray allen... not only that he's extremely smart and could teach everyone a lot like ollie from his nba career... show recruits his early years that he was more than just a jump shooter

Reaction Score
Okafor created Hilton Armstrong josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva. Imagine what he could do with brimah
Actually, Evanovich worked with all of the above, including Okafor. If I remember right his title then was team manager. I knew him back then when i covered UConn basketball and wrote an article on him. Not sure what happened to him, he certainly had coaching aspirations, was very good at it, and was well liked by everyone.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Caron Butler? 10+ yrs. in the League. Considered to be a locker room presence. I think he will be able to tell a true rag to riches story that will appeal to recruits. Plus he can teach toughness and a winning mentality.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
OK, Seriously, I think we need a big on staff so I would go with Emeka over Ray.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Absolutely Caron. He's motivational and can teach.

Not Ray. He's too obsessive compulsive and players could never live up to his standards. Ray is great for Ray. Love him as a player and a person who exemplifies discipline. But not sure this would translate as a coach.

EO was a great leader in that he led by example. Players observed his work ethic and discipline, observed his success and decided to follow his regimen. Not sure he's a great coach however.

Kemba might be a great coach. He certainly brought out the best of an inexperienced group of players. Throw in Bazz as well.

I would also consider DBev, Craig and RJ because JC saw coaching potential in these guys.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall might be a good choice, but for better or worse, I can surely see him getting T'd up a lot.

Haha I love KO, but am I the only one who gets a little nostalgic for the games when you knew Calhoun was going to argue a call and get thrown out? Always loved the stares right at the refs as he walked out of the building lol.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Haha I love KO, but am I the only one who gets a little nostalgic for the games when you knew Calhoun was going to argue a call and get thrown out? Always loved the stares right at the refs as he walked out of the building lol.
JC was entertainment in his own right. Love both KO's and JC's styles of coaching. They are different but both care about winning and their players and both give 110% in their approach. We are a lucky fan base.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was a recent article about KO which mentioned he and Jake were in the same event and he told Jake to get his butt down the Gampel more to work with the bigs..........

This team would win a championship with Jake. Rebounding, outlet passes, position defense and strong screens. Everything this team is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom