If you care about Uconn basketball | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If you care about Uconn basketball

Reaction Score
How about not dragging the best player of any of our teams into this... Making a scapegoat out of innocent kids isn’t making this program any better. Every one of these kids has given their best to the university, regardless of the end result. Get a grip.

Yes, the assistant coach of the team who lost against Wagner and Northeastern is surely laughing right now as he scours job postings.

Glen Miller caused us to lose to Wagner and Northeastern? now i've heard everything

Reaction Score
Replacing Ollie mid season, although unlikely, would be a smarter move than waiting until the end of the year. There are still many uncommitted 2018 recruits the new coach could target as well as target the recruits that decommit from programs at the end of the year which always happens. It would make for a smoother transition, and also give the new coach time to recruit the current UConn players to remain at the school and not transfer.
That doesn't make any sense. You're not going to get the new coach you want mid season. And exactly zero kids are going to commit to a school who doesn't have a set in stone coach.
Unless it's Tom Crean or another good coach without a job you are absolutely right. My point was that if somehow they could find a new coach before seasons end it'd be more advantageous to do it earlier rather than later. But again it is highly unlikely.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
2 guys that run elite programs outside of the power 5. Add Wright to the list as well.

And the willingness to accept the continued ruination of this program just because "the next guy might just leave after a few good years" is what's worse. The point is that the program will have had those good years, and it's not even a given that the next guy would leave. Hell, how long did we all have to worry about Ollie leaving for the NBA? It can just as easily happen regardless.

Wright is different. Nova was a P5 team and Wright kept them on that level. It would have been weird for him to bolt.

I don't think anybody's willing to accept the continued ruination of the program or to give Ollie a long leash. I'm willing to see how the season plays out, however, and I think that's healthier than furiously typing a GBGW post 30 minutes into the 7th game of the season. And I am concerned about firing Ollie if the team shows real improvement as the season goes on.

Ollie doesn't talk or act like his job is on the line but he has to know it is, and hopefully he finds a way to light a fire under these guys like he did in 2013 and 2014. I'm not going to bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm just playing off of your assumption that the next guy would definitely leave.

Not sure why you're harping on the Ollie isn't being fired now thing. No reasonable person expects the long term replacement to be hired now, and it doesn't matter whether Ollie is fired now or at the end of the season, the point is that he needs to go.

I think some people here would love for him to be fired right now.

What if the team makes the tournament? Not looking likely, obviously, but what if it does? Should Benedict fire him?

Reaction Score

What if the team makes the tournament? Not looking likely, obviously, but what if it does? Should Benedict fire him?
Yes. At this point winning masks a larger problem.

Reaction Score
Replacing Ollie mid season, although unlikely, would be a smarter move than waiting until the end of the year. There are still many uncommitted 2018 recruits the new coach could target as well as target the recruits that decommit from programs at the end of the year which always happens. It would make for a smoother transition, and also give the new coach time to recruit the current UConn players to remain at the school and not transfer.

Unless you have a surefire replacement lined up, vetted and committed along with the $ for a buyout it would be a disaster. Even if you did the press would kill us, some players would begin making other plans, and other coaches would be reticent to ever come here having the rug pulled after less than half a season. This isn't the NBA, yet.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes. At this point winning masks a larger problem.

Fair enough. FWIW, I don't think the Mike Davis comparison is a crazy one.

Out of curiosity, and I'm asking you because I think you're speaking for a lot of Yarders, what would the team have to do to convince you that Ollie's not incompetent?

Reaction Score
It's not a character issue. No one slapping their fingers on a keyboard has any right to be questioning the 'character' of kids on the court. 99.9% of this fanbase has *zero* concept for the work and effort that goes into being a Division-1 athlete. Don't know a thing about it, aren't capable of actually being one, etc.

What is fair, though:

-Is that this has been a below-average to bad team - an actively bad team by UConn standards - for four seasons, now. One of which was the worst season the program has seen in 30 something years.
-The problems are consistently the same problems.
-The problems are not showing signs of going away anytime soon.
-The players change, the problems stay the same.
-The assistant coaches change, the problems stay the same.

And it's all happening at a super critical time which takes 'big problems' and turns them into 'crisis-level problems.'

And then to top it all off - the team's getting beaten by Yale, Wagner, Northeastern, East Carolina, STRUGGLING to beat DII Chaminade, Columbia, Loyola Marymount during that period of time... It's a pretty awful situation.

Reaction Score
We fire PP and hire Diaco, how did that work out?We fire Diaco and hire Edsel- did it get any better? Let Ollie do his job for the yr. We won the championship less then four yrs ago. We won the conference tourney 2 yrs ago. Ollie deserve at least till 19. I m for moving back to the big east rather then firing Ollie to correct the basketball problem

Reaction Score
Wright is different. Nova was a P5 team and Wright kept them on that level. It would have been weird for him to bolt.

I don't think anybody's willing to accept the continued ruination of the program or to give Ollie a long leash. I'm willing to see how the season plays out, however, and I think that's healthier than furiously typing a GBGW post 30 minutes into the 7th game of the season. And I am concerned about firing Ollie if the team shows real improvement as the season goes on.

Ollie doesn't talk or act like his job is on the line but he has to know it is, and hopefully he finds a way to light a fire under these guys like he did in 2013 and 2014. I'm not going to bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

Wright is in a slightly better position than Few or Marshall, but how is Nova's current situation any different than what UConn can be? The same rules apply to both. I would rather be in Nova's position where the program's biggest worry is whether Wright would ever leave for a job like Indiana (or maybe Duke/Ville to be more current) than be in our current situation.

We also need to consider how extremely rare it is for a coach to stay at any program, no matter the level, for the length of time that a guy like Calhoun was at UConn. We might not ever see the likes of a Calhoun, Coach K, Izzo, etc stay with 1 program for this length of time once this generation is done.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We fire PP and hire Diaco, how did that work out?We fire Diaco and hire Edsel- did it get any better? Let Ollie do his job for the yr. We won the championship less then four yrs ago. We won the conference tourney 2 yrs ago. Ollie deserve at least till 19. I m for moving back to the big east rather then firing Ollie to correct the basketball problem

The team doesn't magically learn how to play basketball going back to the Big East. They just get beat easier. UCONN is struggling with the Columbia's of the world right now.

Reaction Score

Not looking likely is a bit of an understatement, no? I would still want him gone even if he makes a token appearance like a couple years ago.

On the flipside, wouldn't you say there's additional damage to be done in the event that things continue on their current trajectory and we keep Ollie on as a lame duck Bob McAdoo type?

Reaction Score
Not looking for any arguments and pissing matches, I'm done. If you at all care about Uconn basketball and ever want the program to be relevant again I urge you to email, write, call athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst.

I've beaten this horse dead for the past year and I'm so upset about what's happened that it makes me phyically ill. Kevin Ollie is so far in over his head and isn't the guy many of you think he is. If you care about Uconn basketball you cannot accept this, let the people who run this school know the coach needs to be fired. You may not think it has an effect but it can only help. I won't be posting nearly as much anymore because it angers me too much. I'll be back once Ollie is no longer our coach.
Agreed. I have checked out completely. I feel like I’m in an alternative universe. For what it’s I sent my letter to at least register my opinion. At the end of the day, the meager attendance and the lack of TV ratings will likely be the nail in the coffin. The current course is unsustainable.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wright is in a slightly better position than Few or Marshall, but how is Nova's current situation any different than what UConn can be? The same rules apply to both. I would rather be in Nova's position where the program's biggest worry is whether Wright would ever leave for a job like Indiana (or maybe Duke/Ville to be more current) than be in our current situation.

We also need to consider how extremely rare it is for a coach to stay at any program, no matter the level, for the length of time that a guy like Calhoun was at UConn. We might not ever see the likes of a Calhoun, Coach K, Izzo, etc stay with 1 program for this length of time once this generation is done.

It's only different because Ollie has blown the opportunity to keep UConn at a high level. I'd rather be in Nova's position too. They kicked Penn's butt tonight while went to OT against Columbia. No argument from me there, or on your second point (although I'm sure there will be some schools fortunate enough to have long-time coaches). We for a long time thought we might have lucked into two long-time coaches in a row, but that certainly doesn't seem to the case at this point.

It's just sad. We're all handling the disappointment in different ways. I'm just trying to be even-keeled. Less acid reflux that way. I get that some people feel so passionate that they want to pressure Benedict into firing Ollie.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not looking likely is a bit of an understatement, no? I would still want him gone even if he makes a token appearance like a couple years ago.

On the flipside, wouldn't you say there's additional damage to be done in the event that things continue on their current trajectory and we keep Ollie on as a lame duck Bob McAdoo type?

Yes, that was an understatement. If we limp into the AAC tourny and then squeak by a few teams to win it and thereby sneak into the NCAA tourny, I doubt anyone would be that impressed.

I'm not sure what time frame you're talking about. The rest of the year or next year?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

In all seriousness, if Ollie somehow finds a way to turn this around and prove me wrong , I'd be more than ecstatic, and happily eat my crow.

I just don't see it though, but I hope he does

Reaction Score
Yes, that was an understatement. If we limp into the AAC tourny and then squeak by a few teams to win it and thereby sneak into the NCAA tourny, I doubt anyone would be that impressed.

I'm not sure what time frame you're talking about. The rest of the year or next year?

The rest of this year. Say the next several games play out like the last couple have and it becomes apparent that Ollie isn't turning this around. Wouldn't you say there's additional risk of further damaging/development of bad habits with the current team if Ollie were allowed finish out this season as a total lame duck McAdoo type? Under that scenario, I'd rather KO be cut loose before the end of the season and see if the team and some of these kids can finish this season on a relative high note.

Reaction Score
Stop the non-sense. There is no will to replace Ollie n his buyout in the UCONN administration. They r talking about big cuts to the medical school education. The state leg control the UCONN funding. They already know about the subsidies to the AD. One way to get further funding cuts is to spend another $10 million in replacing a coach now. UCONN nearly got $100 million in additional cuts this year.

Reaction Score

Nova fans don't worry about Wright leaving for any college program. NBA someday. But no other college. He has turned down huge jobs over the years.

Reaction Score
I never said that at all, but why do you think he’s laughing when they aren’t even as bad as they were last year?

Our big men suck this year, a year in which we needed someone to develop and work with them. For whatever knock there was on Miller, at least the guy had 2 championships under his belt.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The rest of this year. Say the next several games play out like the last couple have and it becomes apparent that Ollie isn't turning this around. Wouldn't you say there's additional risk of further damaging/development of bad habits with the current team if Ollie were allowed finish out this season as a total lame duck McAdoo type? Under that scenario, I'd rather KO be cut loose before the end of the season and see if the team and some of these kids can finish this season on a relative high note.

I don't think it's a good idea. I think it would get even uglier if they fired him during the season. Like the Arkansas game over and over. That's my view.

Before I figured out you were talking about the Giants, I was racking my head trying to think of which team Bob McAdoo coached. Was he a player-coach in the Buffalo Braves?

Reaction Score
It's only different because Ollie has blown the opportunity to keep UConn at a high level. I'd rather be in Nova's position too. They kicked Penn's butt tonight while went to OT against Columbia. No argument from me there, or on your second point (although I'm sure there will be some schools fortunate enough to have long-time coaches). We for a long time thought we might have lucked into two long-time coaches in a row, but that certainly doesn't seem to the case at this point.

It's just sad. We're all handling the disappointment in different ways. I'm just trying to be even-keeled. Less acid reflux that way. I get that some people feel so passionate that they want to pressure Benedict into firing Ollie.

Also just wanted to say that I don't think it to be unreasonable that UConn can still be the same level of program that Nova has been these last few years. 3 bad years doesn't erase the preceding 25-30 years of what has been built and branded here, this is still an attractive job.

Reaction Score

Not to mention we would likely win a few more games which would make the recruitment of current players and potential transfers at least a little easier.

It’s a lot harder to get anyone to remain on board or come join a team that Just went under .500 for the second year in a row and just fired its coach.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a good idea. I think it would get even uglier if they fired him during the season. Like the Arkansas game over and over. That's my view.

Before I figured out you were talking about the Giants, I was racking my head trying to think of which team Bob McAdoo coached. Was he a player-coach in the Buffalo Braves?

But that scenario is saying that the next several games are similar to these last 2. What would be the harm in having an interim at that point? We would already be at rock bottom. This doesn't look or play like a team that particularly likes their coach anyways.

My bad on Bob instead of Ben though. That's not a great look on my part.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Also just wanted to say that I don't think it to be unreasonable that UConn can still be the same level of program that Nova has been these last few years. 3 bad years doesn't erase the preceding 25-30 years of what has been built and branded here, this is still an attractive job.

I'd like to think so. If we were in a real conference I'd have much less concern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom