If you care about Uconn basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you care about Uconn basketball

Reaction Score
I genuinely feel bad for Ollie at this point. He is definitely in way over his head as mentioned above. He would be a great piece on a staff but not a head coach. It sucks because despite how critical i've been of him i do still believe he bleeds blue and loves UConn but he just isn't cut out to be the head coach of a premier program. Firing him/demoting him will be messy but that's AD Dave's job. I don't see how he can remain idle in this dire situation with the entire athletic program at a serious crossroads.

Reaction Score
Haha this is against a 1-4 Columbia team at home after a horrific loss to Arkansas. You are really eating KO's words. Ugh.

NO, I am not listening to a word ollie says, but at some poing pride has to take over and players like JA and the other upper classmen will take over.

Reaction Score
There is a solution to the buyout problem. It is ugly but it is there.

Reaction Score
Yes. And to say there is only a couple more wins on the schedule is stupid, really stupid
Ok I guess we have been watching different teams or you have the inside scoop that JC will come back to coach UCONN again. KO has lost me and I can't wait for us to move on from his one on one iso's and bad recruiting.

Reaction Score
Do you really think we will have a winning season based on what you have seen from this team so far?
Yes I do think we'll have a winning record. And that has 0 impact on whether I think KO should be coaching this team next year. I'll be here watching every game, rooting for a UConn win, because me turning off the TV until KO is gone does nothing

Reaction Score
Yes I do think we'll have a winning record. And that has 0 impact on whether I think KO should be coaching this team next year. I'll be here watching every game, rooting for a UConn win, because me turning off the TV until KO is gone does nothing
Who said I wouldn't be watching. I have for 30 years. It just sucks that this is the product we are putting on the court now. I'm a longtime fan and have the right to complain and call for KO's head. I have seen enough to know he isn't the right coach going forward.

Reaction Score
Who said I wouldn't be watching. I have for 30 years. It just sucks that this is the product we are putting on the court now. I'm a longtime fan and have the right to complain and call for KO's head. I have seen enough to know he isn't the right coach going forward.
The not watching comment was directed at other posters, not you. You and everyone else here has every right to call for KO's head. I want him gone too, I just don't get the people who say they won't watch until then

Reaction Score
I'm far from an expert on coaching and have zero insight to how the team is run. What seems consistently obvious is how sluggish we come out and how poor we play against inferior talent. Worse than that is if we do have a plan the failure to execute it and the lack of positive confidence. Can't figure out any other reason so many guys shoot like they just came over from the rowing team. It doesn't look like fun out there.

Reaction Score
JA isnt a leader
Interesting to me that our best player hasn’t been a leader since Shabazz (someone who JC played a large part in grooming). Since 2014 our best players have lacked the leadership qualities they needed to make their teammates thrive. Boat in 2015, Hamilton, Adams. That starts from the top.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean I can’t watch this either.

It might be the players but Ollie put the players on the court. He’s relentlessly tried to instill a system that hasn’t worked *for years* with this team - and with a wide cast of characters. He hasn’t been able to develop top recruits that well. Hasn’t been able to develop under the radar recruits. Every year feels like a big step back. The programs we’ve lost to in just the last two years alone... there’s all the rumor mongering in the background.

And just the sheer level of quit in these kids.

I don’t know how or where to defend him. Or how anyone could make the case. This is a total train wreck.

And with a clock ticking. Maybe he program could turn around in a few years with him at the helm, but they just can’t afford - I don’t think anyway - to wait around to see if he can.

Great post.

The bold part is what sticks out most to me. I️ just don’t see what he falls back out to turn things around, which is why I️ thinks it’s so apparent that he won’t be able to.

Every coach needs something to build their program around or to fall back on when things get tough. Whether it’s being an ace recruiter, developing under the radar guys, having a strong offensive, playing tough defense. Whatever it is.

What is that with Ollie? Recruiting was a supposed strong suit but has continued to fall off. Player development is very scarce. Our offense is atrocious. Our d is supposedly our strong suit but we give up huge runs every game and we make a lot of lazy defensive mistakes. We don’t play hard or tough. The whole “we are a family” mantra has been blown up with all the transfers, losing recruits, staff changes, and Ollie throwing his top assistant under the bus.

Honestly what is he going to fall back on to turn things around? What is the foundation for our program? What is our identity? We are just a rudderless ship drifting off deeper and deeper to sea right now.

Reaction Score
I am beginning to accept that Ollie is UConn’s Mike Davis. Davis was an NCAA runner up at Indiana in his 2nd season with Bobby Knight’s players, but was never able to put anything together with his own recruits and own system. Davis was fired after his 6th year after a couple of early NCAA exits and an NIT.

I’d settle for NCAA exits

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The way I see it, I'd rather bet on the 5% chance that some light clicks on in Ollie's head than the 0% chance that we hire someone else who is (a) a great coach and (b) doesn't run the second he turns the program around.

Tonight didn't give me much confidence but at least I didn't write a Goodbye Cruel World post a half hour into the game, so I feel pretty good about that.

Reaction Score
The not watching comment was directed at other posters, not you. You and everyone else here has every right to call for KO's head. I want him gone too, I just don't get the people who say they won't watch until then
The last words of a famous man who died recently were, "so much wasted time."

In a cosmic sense, we will all be dead soon. Doesn't matter if it is at 50 or 100. It is a blip in the grand scheme of things. If you waste your time watching something that doesn't make you happy, remember that you will never get those minutes back. Never. Gone forever.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, I'd rather bet on the 5% chance that some light clicks on in Ollie's head than the 0% chance that we hire someone else who is (a) a great coach and (b) doesn't run the second he turns the program around.

Tonight didn't give me much confidence but at least I didn't write a Goodbye Cruel World post a half hour into the game, so I feel pretty good about that.
That light has been turned off since 2014. I’m willing to bet there’s a better chance there’s someone out there who could turn this ship around and would be happy to stay at uconn (God we can’t be that unenticing yet can we?) than Ollie just magically figuring things out. His days are numbered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom