If you care about Uconn basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you care about Uconn basketball

Reaction Score
Not looking for any arguments and pissing matches, I'm done. If you at all care about Uconn basketball and ever want the program to be relevant again I urge you to email, write, call athletic director David Benedict and school president Susan Herbst.

I've beaten this horse dead for the past year and I'm so upset about what's happened that it makes me phyically ill. Kevin Ollie is so far in over his head and isn't the guy many of you think he is. If you care about Uconn basketball you cannot accept this, let the people who run this school know the coach needs to be fired. You may not think it has an effect but it can only help. I won't be posting nearly as much anymore because it angers me too much. I'll be back once Ollie is no longer our coach.
Dude, breathe.

Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat as necessary.

You aren't going anywhere. You love it here. You're here more than I am and I'm here nearly every day.

Reaction Score
Loser posts on a loser thread.

Those who are done, please stay that way. Become BC or PC fans and call it a career. Some of you losers were drooling during the Oregon game.....but now, you are done. Classic Boneyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
What makes you say this?

Just his attitude, I will admit i missed tonights game due to work. He doesnt seem to pull his teammates together to regroup or really taking the guys under his wings.

I dont see that same leadership as say a Kemba or Shabazz or hell beverly. If this team had a true leader they wouldnt be playing this bad, regardless of how Ollie coaches. He seems more of a dyson type player. A great bball player, the key player on the team but i see him yelling more at his teammates or complaining than really guiding them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We did.

Right now the Boneyard is at DEFCON 3, maybe 2. We'd be at DEFCON 1 if we actually lost. That's the difference between facing a likelihood of global war and our country being literally eviscerated by nuclear weapons.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That light has been turned off since 2014. I’m willing to bet there’s a better chance there’s someone out there who could turn this ship around and would be happy to stay at uconn (God we can’t be that unenticing yet can we?) than Ollie just magically figuring things out. His days are numbered.

Who would be happy to stay at UConn? As long as we're in the AAC, it's not a final destination for anyone -- other than an alum.

Reaction Score
Who would be happy to stay at UConn? As long as we're in the AAC, it's not a final destination for anyone -- other than an alum.
I definitely think we beat out the bottom third of power conference teams in terms of appeal. That window is closing the longer Ollie stays here.

Reaction Score
Interesting to me that our best player hasn’t been a leader since Shabazz (someone who JC played a large part in grooming). Since 2014 our best players have lacked the leadership qualities they needed to make their teammates thrive. Boat in 2015, Hamilton, Adams. That starts from the top.

Don't drag Boat's name into this. That dude had a ton of heart, the quality of talent around him his senior year was just atrocious.

Reaction Score
Don't drag Boat's name into this. That dude had a ton of heart, the quality of talent around him his senior year was just atrocious.
How about not dragging the best player of any of our teams into this... Making a scapegoat out of innocent kids isn’t making this program any better. Every one of these kids has given their best to the university, regardless of the end result. Get a grip.
I wonder if Glenn Miller just watches these games and laughs
Yes, the assistant coach of the team who lost against Wagner and Northeastern is surely laughing right now as he scours job postings.

Reaction Score
Probably not fair to bring him in but it’s just a pattern I’ve seen.

Reaction Score
How about not dragging the best player of any of our teams into this... Making a scapegoat out of innocent kids isn’t making this program any better. Every one of these kids has given their best to the university, regardless of the end result. Get a grip.
Not saying anything bad about any one of these kids. Saying they didn’t have the leadership from above to help them maximize their potential as players and leaders on the court.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I definitely think we beat out the bottom third of power conference teams in terms of appeal. That window is closing the longer Ollie stays here.

Right, but that leaves the top 3rd.

So let's say we hire some hot up & comer and he takes us to the Sweet 16. Then, say, Indiana comes calling. Or Texas. Or Florida. He's gone.

That's my fear. That's why I'm hesitant about closing the book on Ollie. He's loyal if nothing else.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not impressed by what I've seen over the last few years. There's no good choice here.

Reaction Score

It's fair to be critical of a guy like DHam. These aren't 12 year old kids, they're young adults. It's fair to hold them to a level of accountability.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Mark Few and Gregg Marshall prove that's not the case. This mentality is even worse than the OP.

Two guys. OK. Hoping Ollie can turn things around is worse than having a temper tantrum; got it.

Reaction Score

So let's say we hire some hot up & comer and he takes us to the Sweet 16. Then, say, Indiana comes calling. Or Texas. Or Florida. He's gone.

That's my fear. That's why I'm hesitant about closing the book on Ollie. He's loyal if nothing else.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not impressed by what I've seen over the last few years. There's no good choice here.

Couldn't agree more

Reaction Score
At this pount I see us near the bottom of the AAC. We just don’t have the horses or the coaching for better than that. We struggled to beat Columbia and what team in the AAC is worse than them? Not only that but Gilbert is injured, and Larrier and Jalen are beat up before the season has even gotten going. One of them is probably going to miss games and then what? Our bigs are inadequate to say the least and our guards are small and not good shooters. Recipe for disaster. I bleed for the team and the kids are trying but I have to be honest. Wish I wasn’t and could just look through rose colored glasses.

Reaction Score
Replacing Ollie mid season, although unlikely, would be a smarter move than waiting until the end of the year. There are still many uncommitted 2018 recruits the new coach could target as well as target the recruits that decommit from programs at the end of the year which always happens. It would make for a smoother transition, and also give the new coach time to recruit the current UConn players to remain at the school and not transfer.

Reaction Score

Even if that ended up being the case every single time you would just grab the next up and comer to what would then be a more attractive job than it currently is.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Even if that ended up being the case every single time you would just grab the next up and comer to what would then be a more attractive job than it currently is.

That doesn't sound good, either. I don't want to be Southern Illinois.

Look, like I said, I'm not impressed. And I'm not making any excuses. But he's not getting canned during the season (unless it turns out he has a button under his desk that closes his office door) so rather than rant and rave I'm just going to keep hoping the team starts playing somewhere close to its potential.

Reaction Score
Two guys. OK. Hoping Ollie can turn things around is worse than having a temper tantrum; got it.

2 guys that run elite programs outside of the power 5. Add Wright to the list as well.

And the willingness to accept the continued ruination of this program just because "the next guy might just leave after a few good years" is what's worse. The point is that the program will have had those good years, and it's not even a given that the next guy would leave. Hell, how long did we all have to worry about Ollie leaving for the NBA? It can just as easily happen regardless.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Replacing Ollie mid season, although unlikely, would be a smarter move than waiting until the end of the year. There are still many uncommitted 2018 recruits the new coach could target as well as target the recruits that decommit from programs at the end of the year which always happens. It would make for a smoother transition, and also give the new coach time to recruit the current UConn players to remain at the school and not transfer.

That doesn't make any sense. You're not going to get the new coach you want mid season. And exactly zero kids are going to commit to a school who doesn't have a set in stone coach.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound good, either. I don't want to be Southern Illinois.

Look, like I said, I'm not impressed. And I'm not making any excuses. But he's not getting canned during the season (unless it turns out he has a button under his desk that closes his office door) so rather than rant and rave I'm just going to keep hoping the team starts playing somewhere close to its potential.

I'm just playing off of your assumption that the next guy would definitely leave.

Not sure why you're harping on the Ollie isn't being fired now thing. No reasonable person expects the long term replacement to be hired now, and it doesn't matter whether Ollie is fired now or at the end of the season, the point is that he needs to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom