If we don't make the tourney next year, does Ollie deserve to get fired? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If we don't make the tourney next year, does Ollie deserve to get fired?

?

• Yes

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 150 61.5%
  • No, but he needs to go if we miss it a third straight year.

Votes: 62 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KO's job security is an idiotic question.

A more appropriate question is: in absence of a P5 life raft, can the program survive another year or two of mediocre recruiting?
So should we change the question?

Reaction Score
The issue really is that with UConn stuck in this league for the foreseeable future, going 2 years without a tourney appearance has the possibility of starting the Huskies on a road in the wrong direction. Let's remember that the guys who led the team to the 2014 title were by and large Calhoun's guys, not Ollie's. I think the jury is still way out on whether Ollie can recruit. Now you can argue that he had some handicaps in his first class, but last year, coming off a national championship, he brought in one blue chipper, and even he is not a Kentucky ready to go today blue chipper, but more of a kid with a huge up side. The other guys he's brought in are Meh at best. Samuels is a 3rd guard, Facey has backup written all over him, Brimah has really taken a step back from where he was in the Spring of '14 I thought. He's 7-2 and you can't teach that, but he gets beat up by smaller stronger guys way too often. The team desperately needs a true power forward in the Kevin Freeman mold.

Basically missing the Tourney next year means we've missed 3 of the last 4 and in 2012 we barely got a cup of coffee. Stuck in the no respect AAC we could well end up trodding the path of teams like Indiana, Houston, St Johns, Providence and a few others who were once national powers and are now afterthoughts.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The issue really is that with UConn stuck in this league for the foreseeable future, going 2 years without a tourney appearance has the possibility of starting the Huskies on a road in the wrong direction. Let's remember that the guys who led the team to the 2014 title were by and large Calhoun's guys, not Ollie's. I think the jury is still way out on whether Ollie can recruit. Now you can argue that he had some handicaps in his first class, but last year, coming off a national championship, he brought in one blue chipper, and even he is not a Kentucky ready to go today blue chipper, but more of a kid with a huge up side. The other guys he's brought in are Meh at best. Samuels is a 3rd guard, Facey has backup written all over him, Brimah has really taken a step back from where he was in the Spring of '14 I thought. He's 7-2 and you can't teach that, but he gets beat up by smaller stronger guys way too often. The team desperately needs a true power forward in the Kevin Freeman mold.

Basically missing the Tourney next year means we've missed 3 of the last 4 and in 2012 we barely got a cup of coffee. Stuck in the no respect AAC we could well end up trodding the path of teams like Indiana, Houston, St Johns, Providence and a few others who were once national powers and are now afterthoughts.
Why am I not surprised this is appearing!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I disagree with one thing he wrote, he called Samuel Samuels. Other than that he is spot on.
He was one of the dudes questioning if JC's time had passed before the last JC championship. If he had his choice you would be sporting 9904 w/o the 11. He also wanted Shaka. That would have been a disaster. May not have gotten the 14 either. He appears only when the sniping gets on a roll. You're feeding him or vice versa. Good company. The two of you should go to a bar together and reinforce one another.

Reaction Score

Samuels
Brimah is 7'2 and has regressed
KO can't recruit
Sky falls in 2 years' time

Nice little 4 piece of idiocy. You'd think you'd have learned and at least made a new account to spew your garbage, but then again, you're a moron

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
You'd have a hard time convincing me that next year's team will have more talent than this year's team, assuming no further additions, and this year's team was a ways from being a tournament team.
We were 9 points from being a tournament team.
Beyond the automatic bid, we weren't nearly as far as you're making it sound. More importantly, players get better.

Reaction Score
I give him a pass for last year -- we didn't have the talent and it largely wasn't his fault (though coaching also wasn't great).

This year is strike one.

Next year would be strike two.

If we're not back to perennial contender status by 2018, when he's had a few recruiting classes under his belt, I would consider going in another direction.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sitting in a bar on the road at 10:00 after losing again

I really don't care, I'll take my chances

Reaction Score
Yes, if Ollie can't do it next year without making the Tourney he needs to go. I mean he can't even finish in the top 2 of this horrible conference. UCONN can't afford out basketball team to become mediocre being in this horrible conference. I like Ollie as a person but he just isn't the same as he was his first two years. He at least had fire then. Now it seems like he is just going through the motions.

I would say he was waiting for the perfect NBA job but he let that pass in OK city unless he is waiting for KD to go to a bigger market.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I give him a pass for last year -- we didn't have the talent and it largely wasn't his fault (though coaching also wasn't great).

This year is strike one.

Next year would be strike two.

If we're not back to perennial contender status by 2018, when he's had a few recruiting classes under his belt, I would consider going in another direction.

I think the main argument in favor of keeping him has to be this year's recruiting class. I'm not 100% familiar with the NCAA guidelines, but I believe that schools do let signees out of their LOIs if the head coach leaves. We as a program cannot afford to even think about passing up a class composed of four Top 100 players. Gambling that an open-market hire could pull a comparable group in is way too big of a risk.

Reaction Score
I think the main argument in favor of keeping him has to be this year's recruiting class. I'm not 100% familiar with the NCAA guidelines, but I believe that schools do let signees out of their LOIs if the head coach leaves. We as a program cannot afford to even think about passing up a class composed of four Top 100 players. Gambling that an open-market hire could pull a comparable group in is way too big of a risk.

I completely agree -- also, you have to let KO have a shot at coaching his first big class composed of entirely highly-sought players.

Reaction Score
I don't want to get into a pissing match with you and don't disagree with anything you just said. However, if he can't develop a top 100 recruiting class than does it matter if 1 or all of them go elsewhere?

Reaction Score
I don't want to get into a pissing match with you and don't disagree with anything you just said. However, if he can't develop a top 100 recruiting class than does it matter if 1 or all of them go elsewhere?
Yep, good point we just can't afford to lose anymore time. We are starting to be come irrelevant in the college basketball landscape. We have the money now to get a top notch coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom