If UConn really gets 20 million or more | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If UConn really gets 20 million or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here are the seasons for the league. Looks to me like Georgetown was pretty good in 86, 89, 92, 96, 97. There was a guy named Alonzo Mourning. Anyone remember him? Yes, the Esherick years were lean for them. The Big East was never in tatters, that's ridiculous. The lowest win percentage the league ever had was .565, and that was 91-92, when 5 out of 10 schools went to the NCAAs, and three finished ranked. In the next season 92-93, we sent only 3 teams out of 10, which is among the worst results, along with 02-03, when 4 out of 14 went.

UConn does have half of the Big East's 6 NCs, but only 4 out of 18 final four appearances. The aggregated games won are important, because it's a measure of contribution of NCAA credits to the league. Heres the total appearances and records. I agreed we are the top team in league history, and this shows that. But we are 4th in the league in number of seasons in which we made it to the NCAAs. The key to UConn has always been how well we played when we get there.

Win %? I mean, what the hell are all these metrics you are tossing out? Does advancing in the NCAA mean nothing to you? Really? It's like we're talking stats from another planet. I'll say it again: G'town made one Final 8 in eighteen years.

Yes, the league's rep was badly dinged in the 1990s.

"Only four of 18 final four appearances..."

There are like 16 teams in the league. It's not like any team did better, and you well know (I hope) that UConn's losses in the Final 8 have always been a big perception problem for the program (until it started winning NCs).

Reaction Score

Next thing PC will be crowing how the C7 helped Butler rise in the bball world. LOL you guys are clowns. PC has had many years to be sucessful, why has UConn done so and not PC? Just coast along and collect the $$$.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Win %? I mean, what the hell are all these metrics you are tossing out? Does advancing in the NCAA mean nothing to you? Really? It's like we're talking stats from another planet. I'll say it again: G'town made one Final 8 in eighteen years.

Yes, the league's rep was badly dinged in the 1990s.

"Only four of 18 final four appearances..."

There are like 16 teams in the league. It's not like any team did better, and you well know (I hope) that UConn's losses in the Final 8 have always been a big perception problem for the program (until it started winning NCs).

I simply think it is wrong to say that the Big East is now or ever has been a one trick pony. The Pac 10, yes, it was UCLA and nobody. Rarely did any one team dominate the league for long. We certainly didn't in 10-11, despite the NC. Most of our regular season championships were shared (as they were for most seasons).

I know about our failures, I watched them all. :) I also watched pretty talented teams fall apart and not even make the tournament. For better or worse, we ran more hot and cold than teams like Syracuse. I value deep runs, but also consistency. I wouldn't trade the titles for anything, but regular seasons matter too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In the Yankee conference, no. But UConn would probably go to the A-10 and be pretty dominant there. Then it's a question of whether the drive to upgrade football with the goal of joining either the BE or the ACC would have the same political momentum it did over the past 20 years. As long as Lew Perkins was our AD during this hypothetical timeline, I think it would get done.

Reaction Score
I simply think it is wrong to say that the Big East is now or ever has been a one trick pony. The Pac 10, yes, it was UCLA and nobody. Rarely did any one team dominate the league for long. We certainly didn't in 10-11, despite the NC. Most of our regular season championships were shared (as they were for most seasons).

I know about our failures, I watched them all. :) I also watched pretty talented teams fall apart and not even make the tournament. For better or worse, we ran more hot and cold than teams like Syracuse. I value deep runs, but also consistency. I wouldn't trade the titles for anything, but regular seasons matter too.

We have more regular season and tourney titles than anyone. Syracuse is more consistent because they did it throughout the BE's history, but UConn had a brief downturn only between 1983 and 1988-89, and then it took off.

And about 2011, you can look at the BE regular season and say it was cold, but you can only do that if you totally ignore the 23-0 record outside that regular season, when UConn was perfect. I always hear other fans doing this, point out he 9-9 record, but no one mentions that UConn played stiff competition in OOC that year and was perfect. 15 of the 23 games were against tourney teams. UConn also entered the tourney ranked in the top 10, and if you go by the brackets of millions of fans on ESPN, UConn was the 4th most popular choice to win it all.

We'll never agree on the BE's status in the 1990s. I remember very well what most of the perception was. It was very bad.

Reaction Score
Not really. The F4 he referenced was 1985. UConn last won a championship 2 years ago. In other words, UConn was yesterday, the Catholic F4 was in the Jurassic period.

"Read this site, every thread is nothing but whining, bitching, and moaning, only to have one of your own fans try and talk some sense and get accused by the whining horde of being another teams fan or a troll."

I meant this part of it.

Reaction Score
"Read this site, every thread is nothing but whining, bitching, and moaning, only to have one of your own fans try and talk some sense and get accused by the whining horde of being another teams fan or a troll."

I meant this part of it.

Clearly, you haven't caught Bear's troll act yet.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score

It's past tense in relation to the BE (as per the original posts assertion) as the C7 will take the name. UConn may still be the flagship school of it's future conference and one for basketball in general.

caw

Reaction Score

Who knows, maybe, UConn still had a ton of room to grow as a program. Moreso than Northeastern.

I do agree to an extent that UConn is not the sole claimant on the BE name and the sole entity deserving.

UConn, Cuse and BC are the only founding members with any claim to the BE name outside the C7 (really the C5). Cuse and BC obviously relinquished their claim by leaving for the ACC. If the C5, I refuse to believe Marquette or DePaul have a serious claim, wants the name then UConn is the only entity with a true claim on the name.

One could argue that UConn has, at the minimum, maintained the value of the name for the past 20 years, even if it was built on Gtown, Cuse, Nova, etc. No school has enhanced the BE name as much as UConn in the past 23 years. I maintain that UConn has actually expanded the value of the name in those 23 years and not just maintained it.

I think the C5 should get the name, but they should pay an arm and a leg to compensate UConn for growing the brand.

Reaction Score
The Big East name would be a joke if not for the titles UConn has brought home. Whatever favors UConn received from its origins have been paid back and some. You could argue the contract the new conference got is in large part due to the success of UConn and that members of the conference had any acclaim at all.
The conference now is dead, tournament and all. Whats left is a cute group of "basketball" onlies, of which only a few can claim to have produced anything remotely close to a quality product. Congrats to these schools on keeping the name, you can have it. From almost the start, it has represented the culture of chasing the almighty dollar, and abandoning anything resembling unity.
PC fans can take as many potshots as they want. They have been proclaiming the next era of new england basketball as their's for the better part of the past 20 years. Maybe UConn's reign will end with this shake-up. Who could, or would, take pride in knowing the only reason it happened is because we got screwed by conference realignment and not by earning it with on court results. Pretty bullspit way to advance if you ask me.

Reaction Score
The Big East name would be a joke if not for the titles UConn has brought home. Whatever favors UConn received from its origins have been paid back and some. You could argue the contract the new conference got is in large part due to the success of UConn and that members of the conference had any acclaim at all.
The conference now is dead, tournament and all. Whats left is a cute group of "basketball" onlies, of which only a few can claim to have produced anything remotely close to a quality product. Congrats to these schools on keeping the name, you can have it. From almost the start, it has represented the culture of chasing the almighty dollar, and abandoning anything resembling unity.
PC fans can take as many potshots as they want. They have been proclaiming the next era of new england basketball as their's for the better part of the past 20 years. Maybe UConn's reign will end with this shake-up. Who could, or would, take pride in knowing the only reason it happened is because we got screwed by conference realignment and not by earning it with on court results. Pretty bullspit way to advance if you ask me.
For someone with only 10 posts, very nicely done.

Reaction Score
Our rivalry is going out in a mess in cyberspace but it was fun to have you and your school as a rival in the Big East, FriarJ. See you in the hockey dimension! Your hockey fans are good people.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, these things aren't beamed into my head in real time, so I might be getting to the game late - and I tend to skip Dan's posts because the contents of his head make me wonder if free speech really ought to be a right.

That established, what's your excuse?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unless you plan on dying in the next few hours, I suspect you'll get over whatever happens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom