If S. Carolina plays like they did against UTenn... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If S. Carolina plays like they did against UTenn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't expect South Carolina to play like they did against Tennessee as they did against UConn. They are very different challenges. Tennessee's length made it difficult for them at the rim and UConn doesn't have that kind of size.

So while you can't expect UConn to defend SC nearly as well as UT did, you also can't expect UConn to turn the ball over 21 times, score less than say 65 points, and get outworked for loose balls near as badly as UT did. It should be a good game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didnt see the play. But I have seen three knee injuries this year where the player quickly returned to the bench with ice on the knee, even though it turned out they had torn ACL’s. In fact I have seen torn ACL’s where the player never left the bench at all, including one my daughter suffered.

hopefully Boston’s injury is not serious.
It's weird to see a torn ACL injury where the player jogs off the court and jogs into the locker room.

Reaction Score
Boston is a generational talent. Would be a huge loss for SC if she is out for a long stretch. She was back on the bench for the 4th quarter with her knee wrapped in ice. So, probably not too serious.
You still haven't told us what your description of generational is. Maybe you should Google it.

Reaction Score
You keep using that phrase "generational talent." If Boston was playing for North Carolina that would not raise an eyebrow, as it has been awhile since North Carolina has had a great big. But she plays for South Carolina, which means Boston will have to prove herself better than Wilson to literally be considered a "generational" talent, if that word is to have any meaning. But wait a second, you did not limit it to any particular team, which would mean Boston will have to prove herself better than Stewart to literally be considered a "generational" talent, if that word is to have any meaning. But hold on there, you did not qualify the statement by position, which means Boston's freshman season will need to be better than Ionescu's freshman year, just three short years ago, to literally be considered a "generational" talent, if that word is to have any meaning.

This is a growing cultural phenomenon, to be so loose with the meaning of words that they become meaningless. Unless, of course, you believe Boston is a better talent than Wilson, Stewart or Ionescu and we would have to go back to Parker or Moore as comparable talents to Boston, in which case you should present your reasons why you believe that.
Like me, I doubt that you'll get an answer.

Reaction Score
Baylor, Oregon State and Oregon all concern me this year, bigly, come NCAA Tournament time.

But I'm most concerned about South Carolina. Dawn Staley is right behind Geno (and Chris, of course) in my list of the top WCBB coaches. She has this inductive approach and her teams catch on as the season progresses. Every year she hones her coaching technique a little more. The future is frightening.

And she has a load of talented players to coach.

Their defense is amazing at times. UConnian. And they have a good combination of a passing offense combined with individual playmakers.

Eesh. We'll see.

Reaction Score
We should win the game.

Boring offense...round and round the horn
Their celebrated big didn't do much...and she may be injured.
Outside shooting up and down.
The pass up a lot of shots that UConn would take, both in the lane
and outside.

Not impressive.

if UCONN plays like they did against Tennessee, South Carolina will win comfortably. (As long as Boston is fine)

(and the game won't be decided based on how either team matched up vs Tennessee. Should be interesting)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if UCONN plays like they did against Tennessee, South Carolina will win comfortably. (As long as Boston is fine)

(and the game won't be decided based on how either team matched up vs Tennessee. Should be interesting)
Not if Uconn plays like they did in 2nd half of game against Tennessee!

Reaction Score
It all depends on the players tolerance for pain.

Staley was somewhat non-committal about the injury beyond saying that Boston probably would have re-entered the lineup if it had been the National Championship game (or one might guess the outcome had been in doubt given the conference implications).

the reporter said that the injury looked like an ankle or foot, and Staley responded saying it was something down there. I take that more as a non-answer than confirmation.

For what it is worth, I don't recall seeing her ice the knee on the bench.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Not if Uconn plays like they did in 2nd half of game against Tennessee!
…...or if South Carolina plays like they did the first half against Tennessee....this is really a silly way to decide a game that will be played on a basketball court. The two different games with the same opponent, tells you nothing...I mean nothing about their eventual match up. I see advantage South Carolina at home....that could spell the difference...or maybe not. Now..play ball !!!!

Reaction Score
It's weird to see a torn ACL injury where the player jogs off the court and jogs into the locker room.

I know a girl that played a partial season with a torn acl. She waited to get the surgery because she wasn’t playing after her senior year.

Jessica Moore played three rest of the NCAA championship on a torn acl.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Boston is a generational talent. Would be a huge loss for SC if she is out for a long stretch. She was back on the bench for the 4th quarter with her knee wrapped in ice. So, probably not too serious.
You keep saying that. I'm not sure you know what that means. Why would you think she's a generational talent??? Generational talents are usually head and shoulders above their class (and classes above them). They are consensus #1's coming out of HS at the very least. Easily winning Naismith, etc awards. She didn't do any of that. Jones and Horston were considered better than her.

Why don't we wait until she has actually done something? Won some NC's. 3-4 time AA. a couple NPOY awards. THEN, we can START to talk about if she's generational or not. Maybe she'll show it her in college career, but certainly up to this point (mostly HS) she hasn't shown anything that would be considered "generational".

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You keep saying that. I'm not sure you know what that means. Why would you think she's a generational talent??? Generational talents are usually head and shoulders above their class (and classes above them). They are consensus #1's coming out of HS at the very least. Easily winning Naismith, etc awards. She didn't do any of that. Jones and Horston were considered better than her.

Why don't we wait until she has actually done something? Won some NC's. 3-4 time AA. a couple NPOY awards. THEN, we can START to talk about if she's generational or not. Maybe she'll show it her in college career, but certainly up to this point (mostly HS) she hasn't shown anything that would be considered "generational".
You do realize there is no criteria for being a "generational" player. It's subjective and can be a personal opinion. You can't give an exact measurement so calling someone a generational player can not be disproven or called wrong. Everyone has their own ceiling for what it means...so...yes...to some she is a generational player and has done enough for them to call her one...so let it go people.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Aww, puppies are so cute.

Im being objective here. I just think South Carolina is a beatable team. Could they win a national title? Yeah...but theyre not the dominant team of past national title winners. Of course overall youre wiping through the entire SEC not named MSU but that one narrow escape against Vic in my honest opinion means something to me.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but I just don’t think S Carolina is gonna get passed Baylor or Oregon to win the tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You do realize there is no criteria for being a "generational" player. It's subjective and can be a personal opinion. You can't give an exact measurement so calling someone a generational player can not be disproven or called wrong. Everyone has their own ceiling for what it means...so...yes...to some she is a generational player and has done enough for them to call her one...so let it go people.
So the BY is opinion based forum which fits nicely with a subjective based personal opinions of "generational talent" or any other words we want to kick around. @BostonBay should defend his personal opinion not just keep throwing it out. People are just not buying it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having no criteria for using the term to describe a players level of ability would to me, be useless. However if it's all subjective as you say, I suppose he/she could be describing the kid as an above average freshman talent. Which would make much more sense.

Reaction Score
You are correct.. but there can be many "generational" players....just so you know .
That would just mean that they're all playing in the same generation. Which would be true and make sense. However, it certainly doesn't differentiate them. Which would be a pretty hollow compliment.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Too early to call Paige generational? :oops::oops:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You guys could let it go too. Because it makes no sense.

Heck if there is no criteria, then I'm a generational player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom