If possible, the Big East needs to add: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If possible, the Big East needs to add:

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is about a million miles away from half the conference
Heck, Gonzaga is further from Omaha than Storrs is from Omaha... which Omaha itself is 400-500 miles away from some of the next closest schools. So while the matchup is otherwise perfect, distance just wouldn't allow it.

WVU is far too focused on football and academically it would by far be the worst school in the conference.

I'd take Kansas though, since they gave up on football a long time ago! :D Seriously though, even that may continue to allow the football creep again that ruined the BE the first time around. The best options are really only ones where there is no FBS football.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A couple is 2 and those 11 additions would be horrible, UConn left the AAC for a reason.

I think he sailed one right over your head there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lees than zero if possible. I guess some people think they would love to go the independant route in football. Same for WVU and lets pack our bags and visit Spokane every year.

They can all make more in the reconstituted Big 12 and independence ain’t easy.

And NFW on Gonzaga. Gonzaga eventually reverts back into just another WCC school, so no. No, no, no, no.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Kansas can’t get into the B10/PAC12 I just can’t see them staying in whatever becomes of the B12-AAC mess

Then you aren't trying hard enough. That's what they would do. They will not join the Big East. It's zero chance. I think too many of you people have misperceptions about the school, the region and the Big East. As someone who arrived on the KU campus from Connecticut as a UConn grad in 1991, I think I have perhaps a more realistic perspective.

1. Take a B1G invite if it comes
2. Stay in Big 12, backfill two spots with Cinci and Houston.
3. If more schools leave (unlikely unless #1 happens) then explore the Pac, which would take KU without much deliberation, possibly with OK State.

Somewhere around option 18 is "join the Big East", just before "disband the AD".

Reaction Score
I believe CBS Sports did a study and found that the 8 remaining schools were worth 9 million per team per year for all sports.
Wow, if you consider their basketball brands on the level more or less as the Big East, this means the remaining value for their football is only 5mil? That estimate has got to be low... wouldn't you think?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Then you aren't trying hard enough. That's what they would do. They will not join the Big East. It's zero chance. I think too many of you people have misperceptions about the school, the region and the Big East. As someone who arrived on the KU campus from Connecticut as a UConn grad in 1991, I think I have perhaps a more realistic perspective.

3. If more schools leave (unlikely unless #1 happens) then explore the Pac, which would take KU without much deliberation, possibly with OK State.

Somewhere around option 18 is "join the Big East", just before "disband the AD".
These people posting have no idea what is important to any of these schools. They just think because UConn decided to do it it’s what Kansas would/should do. I laid this out in a different thread earlier this week but there’s zero chance KU goes Independent and Big East:

KU has a national brand yes but the Big East to them isn’t an upgrade, even over the “zombie” B12 which would still include regular games against teams they’ve played for 100+ years in addition to regular games in Texas (where they attract both athletic and non-athletic students) and a brand like WVU. KU has shared conference history all the way back to the Big Six with Iowa State and the Big 8 with Kansas State and OK State. Playing those teams matters to their fan base and their schools. You don’t just give all of that up to, once again, play schools that you’re not peer institutions with, don’t have history with, located in geographic areas you don’t attract students from, and likely still make less money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These people posting have no idea what is important to any of these schools. They just think because UConn decided to do it it’s what Kansas would/should do. I laid this out in a different thread earlier this week but there’s zero chance KU goes Independent and Big East:

KU has a national brand yes but the Big East to them isn’t an upgrade, even over the “zombie” B12 which would still include regular games against teams they’ve played for 100+ years in addition to regular games in Texas (where they attract both athletic and non-athletic students) and a brand like WVU. KU has shared conference history all the way back to the Big Six with Iowa State and the Big 8 with Kansas State and OK State. Playing those teams matters to their fan base and their schools. You don’t just give all of that up to, once again, play schools that you’re not peer institutions with, don’t have history with, located in geographic areas you don’t attract students from, and likely still make less money.
Well sure, but other than that it is a good idea right?

Reaction Score
I’m just saying. Go look on the Kansas board. There’s people who would rather go independent in basketball then join the AAC.
And I’m sure that the administration at Kansas gives as much weight to those message board poster’s opinions as UConn does to the lunatics on here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

This is exactly right. And that being said, they'd still go to the B1G if they could, because the stability and money are impossible to pass up, and they view those as peer institutions and states they recruit students from. They do not view Creighton, Butler, DePaul or Marquette that way even if they are in B1G states.

I do think the fact that they've already lost conference rivals from the state to the east (Mizzou, biggest lost), west (Colorado, minor loss), North (Nebraska, pretty big loss) and now South (OU) makes them more willing to move on. They'll still play K-State every year. But if the B12 can stop the bleeding at 2, add Houston and Cinci, I think they stay put.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m just saying. Go look on the Kansas board. There’s people who would rather go independent in basketball then join the AAC.
Do you have a link to it?

Reaction Score
And I’m sure that the administration at Kansas gives as much weight to those message board poster’s opinions as UConn does to the lunatics on here.
Again remember if the fans don’t react well to the conference it could kill them. They are very similar to UConn.

The only difference is they make more sense travel wise with those schools vs us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

and where does joining the aac rank?

as big12 refugees that arent getting invited to the BIG or PAC (the value of the remnants is on par with the aac tv deal ~$9 mill each) the nerve these schools/fans continue to display is entertaining. viewing joining the BE as 1 step above quitting sports is a genuine laugh riot.

but if that's the case then i'm rooting for option #19- disband the AD

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is exactly right. And that being said, they'd still go to the B1G if they could, because the stability and money are impossible to pass up, and they view those as peer institutions and states they recruit students from. They do not view Creighton, Butler, DePaul or Marquette that way even if they are in B1G states.

I do think the fact that they've already lost conference rivals from the state to the east (Mizzou, biggest lost), west (Colorado, minor loss), North (Nebraska, pretty big loss) and now South (OU) makes them more willing to move on. They'll still play K-State every year. But if the B12 can stop the bleeding at 2, add Houston and Cinci, I think they stay put.
It's nice Kansas considers themselves a peer University with the Big 10 schools but they're not. Outside of Nebraska who was a terrible add to the conference the other BIG 10 schools are far better schools than Kansas. UConn is much more of a peer University of the Big 10 schools.

Not a knock on Kansas as a school, you can get a great education anywhere but they don't fit the profile of the Big 10 schools.

Reaction Score
It's nice Kansas considers themselves a peer University with the Big 10 schools but they're not. Outside of Nebraska who was a terrible add to the conference the other BIG 10 schools are far better schools than Kansas. UConn is much more of a peer University of the Big 10 schools.

Not a knock on Kansas as a school, you can get a great education anywhere but they don't fit the profile of the Big 10 schools.
"BUT BUT BUT WE HAVE SACRED AAU STATUS!!!"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The odds on Kansas getting a P12 invite are the same as Kansas getting a second campus on the moon.

There is literally one person saying that.

Kansas really has one option - keep the rest of the Big 12 together as best they can. It’s not a great option, but it is not a complete disaster.

Reaction Score

as big12 refugees that arent getting invited to the BIG or PAC (the value of the remnants is on par with the aac tv deal ~$9 mill each) the nerve these schools/fans continue to display is entertaining. viewing joining the BE as 1 step above quitting sports is a genuine laugh riot.

because it's not all-sports, the Big East is considered second tier (ie. great basketball conference but......) - you're just seeing that confirmed by current events.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
sounds exactly like KU
america burn GIF

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The option won't exist. There's no version where the B12 goes away. They will poach what they need from the AAC or elsewhere (BYU, Colorado State) and keep the contract and name. Unless you think the other P5 conferences are going to somehow grab every B12 school except Kansas? Every single AAC school would join the B12 in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
The option won't exist. There's no version where the B12 goes away. They will poach what they need from the AAC or elsewhere (BYU, Colorado State) and keep the contract and name.
that's still what i'm betting on but have you been following along with the plot? espn is masterminding the absorption of the big12 into the aac because: 1) UT and OU can join the SEC next year and get out of paying exit fees, and; 2) espn has exclusive rights to the aac and it will increase their espn+ offerings. whether it works is TBD but partnering w/ aresco to pull off this coup was definitely not smart.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom