If possible, the Big East needs to add: | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If possible, the Big East needs to add:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's nice Kansas considers themselves a peer University with the Big 10 schools but they're not. Outside of Nebraska who was a terrible add to the conference the other BIG 10 schools are far better schools than Kansas. UConn is much more of a peer University of the Big 10 schools.

Not a knock on Kansas as a school, you can get a great education anywhere but they don't fit the profile of the Big 10 schools.

You pay too much attention to USNews. It's irrelevant. Try this one instead. QS World University Rankings 2021: Top Global Universities | Top Universities or this. World University Rankings 2021-22 | Global 2000 List | CWUR UConn doesn't have the research profile. Working on it, sure.

Reaction Score
You pay too much attention to USNews. It's irrelevant. Try this one instead. QS World University Rankings 2021: Top Global Universities | Top Universities or this. World University Rankings 2021-22 | Global 2000 List | CWUR UConn doesn't have the research profile. Working on it, sure.
how research primarily taking place at the graduate program level has any relation to athletic conferences involving undergrads is still a mystery to me. if anything undergraduate rankings seem much more relevant.

Reaction Score
All the rankings are irrelevant except for the one you think makes KU look good, got it! I get defending your school, you went there and love it. Several of my buddies went there and love it too but it just isn't a peer of the Big 10 schools...again not a knock, it's a solid school and you'll get a good education there but if you apply to KU you get into KU.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no metric by which Kansas can claim to be a particularly good school.

It’s a middling public that basically accepts almost everyone who applies. It’s not Michigan.

It’s fine. Very much in line with the rest of the Big 12.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
that's still what i'm betting on but have you been following along with the plot? espn is masterminding the absorption of the big12 into the aac because: 1) UT and OU can join the SEC next year and get out of paying exit fees, and; 2) it will increase its espn+ offerings. whether it works is TBD.

My understanding is that the Big XII can only be dissolved by unanimous agreement. So if there is even one school left, the AAC will merge into it, not the other way around. Meanwhile, Fox has more of the rights than ESPN, so ESPN isn't going to be able to do this, especially given the lawsuit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
how research primarily taking place at the graduate program level has any relation to athletic conferences involving undergrads is still a mystery to me. if anything undergraduate rankings seem much more relevant.

Because AAU and research is what the Big 10 cares about. But it's a pointless argument. What happens will happen.

Reaction Score
The only school that would say yes to the Big East right now and would be a good addition to the league is UMASS. UMASS restores the original footprint of the league. Snark all you want but UMASS with a Big East upgrade has the potential to be a good basketball school
UMass and Matt McCall is a joke. He is from my neck of the woods. All his players are from Woodstock. This isn't the 90s. There is nothing healthy about 8-9 players from one high school of the coach banging the star player's mom! No to UMass!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And I’m sure that the administration at Kansas gives as much weight to those message board poster’s opinions as UConn does to the lunatics on here.

The fans outright rejected the AAC on here and in the stands. Not saying the Big East was entirely motivated by the fans, but it's a big part of it.

Then you aren't trying hard enough. That's what they would do. They will not join the Big East. It's zero chance. I think too many of you people have misperceptions about the school, the region and the Big East. As someone who arrived on the KU campus from Connecticut as a UConn grad in 1991, I think I have perhaps a more realistic perspective.

1. Take a B1G invite if it comes
2. Stay in Big 12, backfill two spots with Cinci and Houston.
3. If more schools leave (unlikely unless #1 happens) then explore the Pac, which would take KU without much deliberation, possibly with OK State.

Somewhere around option 18 is "join the Big East", just before "disband the AD".

You say all of this until your storied basketball program is playing regularly in Tulane's high school gym and the popcorn vendor has to cross mid court during a timeout to get to the other side of the arena.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thought I'd throw this up.

Theoretically, we all know that these conferences, even the SEC, ACC an Big 10 are bastardized Frankenstein monsters. They don't make much sense. Expansion has been terrible for rivalries and travel. I can envision a super D1 football league simply existing outside the conference structure. Then you could return to 10 team conferences with round robin play and less travel in the other sports, or in what would be lower D1 football. It would improve college sports significantly. Since BC, Pitt and Cuse wouldn't make the football cut, they'd be back with us along with Rutgers. Reset to something closer to 1990, minus 30 or so football programs.

After adding Oklahoma and Texas, what is the SEC’s endgame? The rest of the NCAA fears a super league – The Athletic

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom