If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 8 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Spears played like he wasn’t 100% but good job AJ. Calhoun had many lock down players and you might be bit young to remember players like Ricky Moore but you could also count on to protect the ball and score a bit too.
I think Hurley’s taking my advice already at Marquette, AJ had 23 minutes, with 3 turnovers. I’d like to see it go down to more like 20 but this is the right way to go - limit amount of turnovers by using bench.

This a tough situation to figure out as he's kind of an enigma right? I mean we need AJ to play more because he does so much and when he's really good he's someone the other teams don't have answers for. Certainly I am not referring to offense but his ability to rebound, defend when focused, make plays when in transition and just get to loose balls, I mean 2nd to none when on. But because they don't guard the man, he needs to be on his game in all other other areas to create a positive close. Again good game against Marquette no doubt but a few headscratchers as ususal. Wish he would just make the play and quit worrying about how cute it is. Also stay on your feet on defense if he did he'd be a lock down defender but between that and always sloughing off his guy to make a play off the ball be gets burnt on occasion.

I don't think we need less minutes from Andre we need him fully focused on staying out of foul trouble, making smart plays with the ball and defending his guy. He can be that guy and he can play 25-28 minutes which makes us better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This a tough situation to figure out as he's kind of an enigma right? I mean we need AJ to play more because he does so much and when he's really good he's someone the other teams don't have answers for. Certainly I am not referring to offense but his ability to rebound, defend when focused, make plays when in transition and just get to loose balls, I mean 2nd to none when on. But because they don't guard the man, he needs to be on his game in all other other areas to create a positive close. Again good game against Marquette no doubt but a few headscratchers as ususal. Wish he would just make the play and quit worrying about how cute it is. Also stay on your feet on defense if he did he'd be a lock down defender but between that and always sloughing off his guy to make a play off the ball be gets burnt on occasion.

I don't think we need less minutes from Andre we need him fully focused on staying out of foul trouble, making smart plays with the ball and defending his guy. He can be that guy and he can play 25-28 minutes which makes us better.
He made a lot of progress offensively last game doing something I’ve been saying all along pats self on back consistently cutting to the rim.

Seems like we’re giving up on making Andre a PG and three point shooter (both things I’ve been saying since the summer he should not be focusing on) and he’s now focusing on being a playmaking wing who tries to get to the rim.

He caught an alley oop dunk in transition as he should be doing, got a couple of easy ones at the rim whether through a pass or offensive rebound because he’s now putting pressure there instead of floating on the 3 point line, and even when he didn’t get a basket teams have to respect him by the rim and it opens other guys up on the 3 point line.

With him simply cutting to the rim when his defender plays off, it makes teams have to respect him on offense. I’m looking forward to seeing how this continues to play out for the rest of the year.

I get a lot of for my stupid takes so don’t mind me if I decide to take a bow here lol.

Reaction Score
It could be the type of game that we’re having, like when we’re on all cylinders on offense, AJ can do what AJ does, but there are games when we’re not, and we need ball handling, better, passing and more consistency at that spot and yes, even some more scoring.

After AJ made one of those head scratching plays, I did see that Hurley ook him out the other night.

i’m starting to think that rather than should he start or shouldn’t he start, Instead of 20 minutes versus 30 minutes, the discussion needs to be more about how much of the turnover and sloppy passes should AJ be allowed to make before he sits.

I like what Hurley appeared to do the other night and coincidientally I loved the way AJ played as well. It was one of those game were he shined and had a big part in it as well - with only 23 minutes :)

Reaction Score
I love All the dislikes I’ve have been getting - is what I am saying truly worth a dislike? LOL…

I compliment AJ on play, give him credit for what he did the other night, but only point out he also had high # turnovers in 23 minutes and that he needs accountability for the carelessness which he sometimes plays the game.

Sounds reasonable to me but feel free to select dislike :)

Reaction Score
Against Marquette, there were a few times where a loose ball was maybe 30-70 towards the opponent. Loved to see Andre reset himself on Defense instead of trying to make the hero play and pick up a foul. One of several good adjustments he has made in the last week or two

Reaction Score
I love All the dislikes I’ve have been getting - is what I am saying truly worth a dislike? LOL…
Yes, I think you are 100% off base with all of your takes in this thread. I'd continue to point out specifically where you're wrong with stats (hint: it's the nonsense you keep spewing about his passing and turnovers), but you've ignored it about 10 times already in this thread so I won't waste the time

Reaction Score
Yes, I think you are 100% off base with all of your takes in this thread. I'd continue to point out specifically where you're wrong with stats (hint: it's the nonsense you keep spewing about his passing and turnovers), but you've ignored it about 10 times already in this thread so I won't waste the time
Nonsense on the turnovers, passing whaaatttt?

Can you seriously sit there and honestly say AJ doesn’t have an issue with being overly careless with the ball which includes make ill advised passes that stand out for the poor idea behind the pass? And some of the wild one handed shots he was lobbing up?

Even Hurley would disagree you on that one as he brought up AJ’s play earlier this week.

I have no concerns about citing AJ’s erratic play - I think most agree. If I have to be the to bring it up, I’m fine with that - just trying to make sense of it, hoping we can get things fully turned around. It’s been a long, long time since we’ve won a game in the tourney, and it all counts right now.

Reaction Score
Nonsense on the turnovers, passing whaaatttt?

Can you seriously sit there and honestly say AJ doesn’t have an issue with being overly careless with the ball which includes make ill advised passes that stand out for the poor idea behind the pass? And some of the wild one handed shots he was lobbing up?

Even Hurley would disagree you on that one as he brought up AJ’s play earlier this week.

I have no concerns about citing AJ’s erratic play - I think most agree. If I have to be the to bring it up, I’m fine with that - just trying to make sense of it, hoping we can get things fully turned around. It’s been a long, long time since we’ve won a game in the tourney, and it all counts right now.
Well he factually does not turn the ball over a lot despite your selective memory. And I'll leave it at that

Reaction Score
Some of us look at this mathy thing called "statistics."

4.5 AST and 1.8 TO

Those numbers put him elite company.
To put it in context, there are 15 players in all of college basketball who are doing that

804C0DCA-C3F8-4FEC-BAEF-38CE293C493A.jpeg

Reaction Score
Wow AJ is at bottom in points in this snapshot, like the very bottom… Making it all the more important he doesn‘t turn ball over or take wild shots that are like turnovers but don’t show up as such on stat sheet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…​

We would likely hear the phrase “Dunk it! Dunk it you em epher!!”

Reaction Score
Spears played like he wasn’t 100% but good job AJ. Calhoun had many lock down players and you might be bit young to remember players like Ricky Moore but you could also count on to protect the ball and score a bit too.
I think Hurley’s taking my advice already at Marquette, AJ had 23 minutes, with 3 turnovers. I’d like to see it go down to more like 20 but this is the right way to go - limit amount of turnovers by using bench.
You don't get it. Jackson will be in the game as many minutes as possible. Only foul trouble will limit his minutes.

Reaction Score
This is getting desperate and embarrassin
You don't get it. Jackson will be in the game as many minutes as possible. Only foul trouble will limit his minutes.
Well hold on chief, let’s not get carried away - both of you.

He played 23 minutes and was yanked after a couple bad plays against Marquette. Came into do some nice things - agreed.

Let’s see what happens on the round vs Creighton in what I expect will be a tighter game. I think we’ll see what’s up.

Creighton is a serious test, they don’t get much tougher. Aj peforms well there, I can simmer down on this thread and get on AJ bandwagon for a bit.

Reaction Score
Wow AJ is at bottom in points in this snapshot, like the very bottom… Making it all the more important he doesn‘t turn ball over or take wild shots that are like turnovers but don’t show up as such on stat sheet.
If we're going with completely irrelevant stats compared to the discussion, I'll take the one that shows he is first in rebounds

Reaction Score
To put it in context, there are 15 players in all of college basketball who are doing that

View attachment 83976
So he’s tied for 3rd in Assist to TO ratio yet there’s still a group of people who say he makes all these bad turnovers. His turnovers look pretty bad when they occur but he doesn’t commit many. And the only reason he played 23 minutes the other night was foul trouble. Alleyne had a great scoring game and took two big charges the other night, but had zero assists or rebounds, while Andre had 4 and 5. Stats matter.

Reaction Score
Well hold on chief, let’s not get carried away - both of you.

He played 23 minutes and was yanked after a couple bad plays against Marquette. Came into do some nice things - agreed.

Let’s see what happens on the round vs Creighton in what I expect will be a tighter game. I think we’ll see what’s up.

Creighton is a serious test, they don’t get much tougher. Aj peforms well there, I can simmer down on this thread and get on AJ bandwagon for a bit.

You made the argument that he turns over the ball at an alarming and unacceptable rate. You were provided data - season-long data - that actually demonstrates that he is among the 15 most elite players in college basketball in terms of his assist to turnover ratio. So you pivot to "well, among those 15 elite players he scores the least so I'm still right."

It's silly. You should have just said "welp, I guess I was wrong." But this is the Boneyard and conceding error is verboten so now it's "well, we'll see what happens in this next game, the 25 games they've played to date don't count."

I'm sure other people will take you up on your offer to revisit this but your act has been tired since you started posting a couple weeks ago so I'll pass.

Reaction Score

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…​

I envision a relationship similar to what Parcells had with LT.

BP - I'm indebted to him because him and all the other players got me over the hump. Respect for competitive and toughness.
LT - BP will always be my guy. ... No matter what happens, he'll always be No. 1 on my list

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Listen to the final 7 minutes of the Top Dogs podcast and you'll understand why he's been in a slump since the Xavier game on 12/31. They were the first team all year that played the same defense we saw at times last year. Give him 10 feet of space and dare him to try to score. Defenses are basically telling him that he sucks so bad that a wide open Jackson shot is better for them than a contested shot from Hawkins/Newton/Sanogo etc.

It's gotta be pretty damaging mentally to have that happen to you. Hurley needs to figure out ways to not put Jackson in those positions. Any time Jackson is camping out on the 3 point line it is a win for the defense. Put him in the paint and let him use his athleticism to grab rebounds. It's not that hard to make that simple change...
Agree! This has nested in his head and affected his defense too.

Reaction Score
You made the argument that he turns over the ball at an alarming and unacceptable rate. You were provided data - season-long data - that actually demonstrates that he is among the 15 most elite players in college basketball in terms of his assist to turnover ratio. So you pivot to "well, among those 15 elite players he scores the least so I'm still right."

It's silly. You should have just said "welp, I guess I was wrong." But this is the Boneyard and conceding error is verboten so now it's "well, we'll see what happens in this next game, the 25 games they've played to date don't count."

I'm sure other people will take you up on your offer to revisit this but your act has been tired since you started posting a couple weeks ago so I'll pass.

That stats seemed kind of “cherry picking” to make a point.
Also doesn’t take into account the low shooting percentage, lack of point production and other teams literally not feeling like they have to guard him…

Maybe I too will go ’cherry picking” and deem some players elite and see how he stacks up - I will take into account he is on the floor less than many of those other players you “arranged“ for comparison.

Reaction Score

I'd hire this guy as my Boneyard bad take attorney. I'm assuming you bill in 20 minute increments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom