If Football Somehow Stays in the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Football Somehow Stays in the AAC

Reaction Score
We get it, you love the AAC. We heard you the first thousand times.

I don’t love the AAC. I think it’s crap. But what I really don’t like is zero plan for football. They are literally just winging it. We’ve spend 10s of millions of bucks on this enterprise and they are going about securing it’s future in the most reckless way imaginable.

This isn’t even debatable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don’t love the AAC. I think it’s crap. But what I really don’t like is zero plan for football. They are literally just winging it. We’ve spend 10s of millions of bucks on this enterprise and they are going about securing it’s future in the most reckless way imaginable.

I have just about the least amount of faith in the UConn admin - but why don't you wait maybe a couple weeks and see how this shakes out.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with them joining the Nbe, but they should just shut football down and get it over with or drop to a lower division immediately. Football is a team sport more than most realize as compared to most if not all sports. You've got probably 50 to 55 guys who see action weekly with all special teams, et. al It's a much bigger production than most realize. I guarantee you probably half of the current players, recruits and coaches are thinking about where they are at, and i'd expect in the coming couple months defections will occur. They're going to face some beat downs this year in conference after this split probably worse than it would have been otherwise which is unfortunate. Football coaches are big motivators and this type of thing plays right into that. Unless you're a service academy or a patriarch of college fball like Notre Dame, convincing D1 talent to come here now is going to be futile. I do not believe bball recruiting is more difficult in the AAC, particularly with the Uconn brand. However, it's go time for Hurley to earn his money as middle of the pack finishes in a new league will be mighty disappointing if it meant pulling the plug on any fball future to basically realize the underlying issue is/was the loss of Jim Calhoun. Time will tell. Good luck to the football players who stick it out. You deserved better.

Reaction Score
The AAC is already surpassing the NBE in BB. Five years from now all these knuckleheads who thought killing our only chance at a P5 invite was a good idea, will be eating a lot of humble pie when the NBE is no better than the A10 in BB.
You speak the truth.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The AAC is already surpassing the NBE in BB. Five years from now all these knuckleheads who thought killing our only chance at a P5 invite was a good idea, will be eating a lot of humble pie when the NBE is no better than the A10 in BB.

No chance.

In 2017 and 2018, a grand total of zero top-100 recruits entered the American. The numbers are just grim.

We had five in 2016, zero in 2017, zero in 2018 and eight in 2019. Of those 13 top-100 recruits, seven of them committed to UConn, five to Memphis and one to Cincinnati.

The Big East had 31 top-100 recruits, including ten in the class of 2019. Every Big East team pulled in a top-100 recruit during that period.

Next year, Andy Katz has seven Big East teams in his top 36 preview. The American has two.

American fans largely do not give a crap about basketball and barely support it - while the Big East, the Big 12 and the ACC are basically in a flat-footed tie for average attendance, the American is easily outdrawn by the freaking Mountain West. The Big East doubles it up.

Tulane draws 1,600 fans a night. Marquette eclipsed Tulane's entire home attendance in two games and had change left over. Less than 3,500 a night for Houston. Our bell cow, Cincy, drew about 8,000 which was 1,500 less than Providence. If you took South Florida, added Central Florida, Tulsa, ECU and Houston together, you could almost fill a Creighton home game.

Fans don't want to watch this conference, kids don't want to play in this conference - it's a good football conference and it will have peaks here and there, but it's going nowhere in basketball. And now it's losing UConn.

They toast.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We are absolutely winging it.

I'm a little more understanding today than I was over the weekend - someone explained the basketball season ticket situation to me and we were on the verge of breaking the fan base. I think this was a situation where they opted to save something because we were on the verge of losing everything.

But yeah, football got put on an ice floe.

Reaction Score
No chance.

In 2017 and 2018, a grand total of zero top-100 recruits entered the American. The numbers are just grim.

We had five in 2016, zero in 2017, zero in 2018 and eight in 2019. Of those 13 top-100 recruits, seven of them committed to UConn, five to Memphis and one to Cincinnati.

The Big East had 31 top-100 recruits, including ten in the class of 2019. Every Big East team pulled in a top-100 recruit during that period.

Next year, Andy Katz has seven Big East teams in his top 36 preview. The American has two.

American fans largely do not give a crap about basketball and barely support it - while the Big East, the Big 12 and the ACC are basically in a flat-footed tie for average attendance, the American is easily outdrawn by the freaking Mountain West. The Big East doubles it up.

Tulane draws 1,600 fans a night. Marquette eclipsed Tulane's entire home attendance in two games and had change left over. Less than 3,500 a night for Houston. Our bell cow, Cincy, drew about 8,000 which was 1,500 less than Providence. If you took South Florida, added Central Florida, Tulsa, ECU and Houston together, you could almost fill a Creighton home game.

Fans don't want to watch this conference, kids don't want to play in this conference - it's a good football conference and it will have peaks here and there, but it's going nowhere in basketball. And now it's losing UConn.

They toast.
What year attendance stats are you looking at? Cincy didn't have a single home game less than 9k this year.

EDIT: Looked it up on Wiki, they averaged 11,261 this year.
EDIT2: Looked up Memphis, they averaged 15,516.
EDIT3: Wichita State averaged 10,298

The real problem in that conference is Tulane and ECU. Tulane getting less than 2k on average is embarrassing for a MAC school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What year attendance stats are you looking at? Cincy didn't have a single home game less than 9k this year.

What's sad is Houston. Everyone is talking them up as a potential power conference team, but they spent a bunch of money to renovate the Fertitta Center and their new capacity is 7,039? That screams mid-major.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

EDIT2: Looked up Memphis, they averaged 15,516.
EDIT3: Wichita State averaged 10,298

Last posted statistics published by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I'm not sleeping on Memphis moving into the top echelon with Penny at the helm.

If the 2019 class plays to their supposed potential..they could see Final Fours in their career.

But...I think there will be quite a gap between Memphis and the next best AAC team.

Reaction Score
For 2019 the AAC has 5 of the top 50(Memphis 4, Cincy 1) in bball. That said, if you have 4 nati's in the past 20 years you shouldn't have to struggle to recruit top 100 talent. Gonzaga has 0 nati's, no recruiting issues.

Reaction Score

I'm a Cincinnati guy, not here to flame......... The Big East is a more exciting basketball conference, and the Tournament at MSG is one of the coolest events in college sports. We don't love the AAC. Playing schools like Eastern Carolina, Tulsa, and Tulane is crap. But, if Cincinnati's administration had just destroyed our football program the way Connecticut's has just destroyed their football program we would burn the joint down. However, most of your folks seem pleased with the move and that's all that matters.

Reaction Score
Lots of AAC fanboys saying we killed the football program and P5 dream. May be best to wait until all the football details are ironed out. I suspect some egg on faces.

Reaction Score
I'm a little more understanding today than I was over the weekend - someone explained the basketball season ticket situation to me and we were on the verge of breaking the fan base. I think this was a situation where they opted to save something because we were on the verge of losing everything.

UConn was tanking the men's basketball season ticket base with the "Scholarship Seating Program" that required donations for season tickets. It didn't help that the new seat donation was being implemented in men's basketball after 3 straight losing seasons either. Almost all schools would have a serious decline in season ticket holders under those conditions. (BC implemented seat licenses in basketball when they moved to the ACC and tanked the season ticket holder base.) Sure, the AAC didn't help, but winning basketball games is more important. If UConn doesn't win in the Big East, attendance will still be a problem.

UConn wants to blame their ineptness in football and basketball on the AAC. I blame it on the President, Trustees, and AD (Manuel). The issue at UConn has been commitment to winning the past few years.

Reaction Score
Last posted statistics published by the NCAA.
Ok makes sense then on those numbers. Cincy played off campus that year which is why they're attendance was less than normal. Surprised the NCAA hasn't released this year's numbers yet. We're way past the season.

Come to think of it I think Houston played off campus that season too.

Reaction Score
No chance.

They toast.
Additionally, the loss of UConn will be a recruiting hit for the AAC. Regardless of UConn's record in the last few years, the name still has impact on both TV and in the eyes of recruits. Memphis with Penny's recruits may pick up some of the slack, but the league as a whole just doesn't have the draw to continually attract top recruits. Combined with the tradition of successful coaches taking better jobs and there is not the stability to compete over the long haul with the NBE. Cronin is gone. How long before a team decides that Sampson's success is sufficient to ignore his past violations? If Greg Marshall builds another strong team, how long can he continually brush aside P5 offers?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its been 15 mins...so about time for another Aresco tough guy quote on UConn.

Aresco is playing his only card, talk tough, try to stir the doubt....thats a weak hand at this stage. Would have been different if he hadn't tried to walk off with our WBB product. Aresco's lousy ESPN contract has made this easy and he doesn't even know it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
For those you upset about the Big East move; IF (and this is a big if) the football team actually stays in AAC, how would that impact your view on the Big East move?
I neither wanted nor expected the big east thing. upon reflection and further review, I am now fully onboard and excited for the new reality, mostly due to the outpouring of excitement and good vibes exhibited by husky nation for this move. pretty cool. on a more strategic level, it seems as if there are distant rumblings in the business of college sports, and this husky move may prove pioneering, especially with the sny opportunities. as a business, the separation and elevation of the husky brand can scare all competitors in the northeast. I expect bigtime husky football to survive this earthquake, and would prefer an independent program to thrive best. we're different--let's own it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In 5 years, I think the Big East is (still) going to be significantly better at basketball

Sometimes it really is that simple
Nick's right eventually the money differential will make the G5 the minor leagues, but that's true whether we are in the American or the NBE. I'm coming around to the move to the NBE. In the near term I think we will actually come out ahead on a net revenue basis. In the long term? Who knows, but probably not worse than staying in the American.

Reaction Score
I just don't believe that the NBE schools will invest heavily in their basketball programs which will lead to the LT decline in the BE conference. I honestly think AAC basketball will surpass the NBE within 10 years. I hope my prediction is wrong.

Almost all of these AAC schools are losing money on football. The NBE schools don't have that albatross. I think your concern is unfounded.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think that some of that is that the leaking of the deal caused us to move without our i's dotted and t's crossed. If this came out in a month, with a SNY deal in place, a couple of more home and aways scheduled for football, and a detailed analysis of how we are coming out ahead financially, would you feel so strongly against it?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20190628-111439_Twitter.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
"However, most of your folks seem pleased with the move and that's all that matters."
bingo! (yahtse?). I luv it when the folks win. surfs up!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of AAC fanboys saying we killed the football program and P5 dream. May be best to wait until all the football details are ironed out. I suspect some egg on faces.

They'll make some patchwork agreement to televise football and some people will prematurely spike the football. But long term, independence won't work, and I'm sure the administration knows that. They sacrificed football to save basketball. I understand the decision and support it. I'm simply realistic.

So take your AAC fanboy line and shove it up your @$$ . . .

Reaction Score
They'll make some patchwork agreement to televise football and some people will prematurely spike the football. But long term, independence won't work, and I'm sure the administration knows that. They sacrificed football to save basketball. I understand the decision and support it. I'm simply realistic.

So take your AAC fanboy line and shove it up your @$$ . . .

Spoken like a true AAC fanboy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom