If Football Somehow Stays in the AAC | The Boneyard

If Football Somehow Stays in the AAC

Reaction Score
For those you upset about the Big East move; IF (and this is a big if) the football team actually stays in AAC, how would that impact your view on the Big East move?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For those you upset about the Big East move; IF (and this is a big if) the football team actually stays in AAC, how would that impact your view on the Big East move?

FYI - They probably aren't reading the Boneyard anymore, ya know, after that whole I quit being a UConn fan tantrum that some threw over the past few days.

Reaction Score
I mean it would be amazing. Best of both worlds.

But I just don't think it's realistic. Not sure what AAC gets out of it. I guess in theory UConn has more potential as a football team than any replacement but still. Without basketball we lose quite a bit of our value.

Reaction Score
Somewhat better, but some AAC schools are willing to invest in their athletic programs for growth. Look at Memphis, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU. I just don't believe that the NBE schools will invest heavily in their basketball programs which will lead to the LT decline in the BE conference. I honestly think AAC basketball will surpass the NBE within 10 years. I hope my prediction is wrong.

Reaction Score
Somewhat better, but some AAC schools are willing to invest in their athletic programs for growth. Look at Memphis, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU. I just don't believe that the NBE schools will invest heavily in their basketball programs which will lead to the LT decline in the BE conference. I honestly think AAC basketball will surpass the NBE within 10 years. I hope my prediction is wrong.

I disagree, but I it’s definitely a fair thing to be concerned about

Reaction Score
I mean it would be amazing. Best of both worlds.

But I just don't think it's realistic. Not sure what AAC gets out of it. I guess in theory UConn has more potential as a football team than any replacement but still. Without basketball we lose quite a bit of our value.

They get Ws!

Reaction Score

It’s not going to happen. We might as well sit around and talk about what we would do if we won the lottery.

Not that staying in the AAC is like winning the lottery.

Reaction Score
LOL.

This UConn administration idiocy at its finest.

It's always a great PR move to give someone you just pissed off an open invitation to slam the program again. That quote will look great for recruiting.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

The AAC is already surpassing the NBE in BB. Five years from now all these knuckleheads who thought killing our only chance at a P5 invite was a good idea, will be eating a lot of humble pie when the NBE is no better than the A10 in BB.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I disagree, but I it’s definitely a fair thing to be concerned about

How do you think the NBE is going to survive when it consists of mostly small enrollment catholic schools that are strapped for cash? 4-5 million per school pales by comparison to P5 schools getting 25-50 million per year. It's a joke.

Providence had to discontinue its baseball program many years ago because it couldn't afford to support it. AAC schools, other than the privates, all have huge enrollments, anywhere from 35,000 to 70,000. Those schools can raise huge amounts of revenue from student activity fees. Put that together with what will now be close to 8 million per year from TV rights and they'll be way ahead of the NBE teams in revenue.

Even private schools like Tulane and SMU have plenty of money. SMU built a beautiful football stadium on campus in 1994. Tulane just built one in 2014 after playing in the Superdome since it opened, and the Sugar Bowl, which was actually their home stadium, before then. Tulsa is the only school in the conference having financial difficulties. The AAC schools can outspend any conferences in the country other than the P5s.

How do you think the NBE is going to stack up against the AAC in another five years when the AAC can totally outspend it?

Reaction Score
How do you think the NBE is going to survive when it consists of mostly small enrollment catholic schools that are strapped for cash? 4-5 million per school pales by comparison to P5 schools getting 25-50 million per year. It's a joke.

Providence had to discontinue its baseball program many years ago because it couldn't afford to support it. AAC schools, other than the privates, all have huge enrollments, anywhere from 35,000 to 70,000. Those schools can raise huge amounts of revenue from student activity fees. Put that together with what will now be close to 8 million per year from TV rights and they'll be way ahead of the NBE teams in revenue.

Even private schools like Tulane and SMU have plenty of money. SMU built a beautiful football stadium on campus in 1994. Tulane just built one in 2014 after playing in the Superdome since it opened, and the Sugar Bowl, which was actually their home stadium, before then. Tulsa is the only school in the conference having financial difficulties. The AAC schools can outspend any conferences in the country other than the P5s.

How do you think the NBE is going to stack up against the AAC in another five years when the AAC can totally outspend it?

In 5 years, I think the Big East is (still) going to be significantly better at basketball

Sometimes it really is that simple

UConnNick

Reaction Score
In 5 years, I think the Big East is (still) going to be significantly better at basketball

You're crazy. The NBE isn't significantly better now. In five years they aren't likely to get better with a lot less money to spend. They're going to be worse.

Reaction Score
You're crazy. The NBE isn't significantly better now. In five years they aren't likely to get better with a lot less money to spend. They're going to be worse.

It’s hard to argue with someone saying the sky is green. I don’t know what to tell you other than you’re just objectively wrong.

You’re a good fan who cares a lot, and I respect that. I’m clearly not going to convince you and you’re not going to convince me.

Who’s right will become clear in time.

Reaction Score

In five years, I agree. The question is what happens when the current TV deal runs out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom