Ideal 2018-19 Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ideal 2018-19 Roster

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Dan’s focus is 2019/2020. He is not spending time obsessing about his 2018/2019 starting line up. Of course, he will try to win every game and we can expect he will try to pull off a reclassification surprise. However, his focus is talent for 2019/2020.
As far as the current group of players, they need to exhibit dramatic strength and conditioning improvement - and that starts with Jalen.
Dan’s observing the same weakness Chief has been preaching about for a few years and even Dan Sr noted at the press conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You guys really think CV is going to be a happy camper being on the bench after starting so many games? Regardless of the fact that is was more out of circumstances that he ended up starting the amount of times he did the last few seasons...
He will be a upper classmen who grinded through the bad seasons. He is not going to be happy in that plan. Plus he is way to competitive.

If someone starts over CV he better be a STUD cause CV may need to work on control and shot selection he is by far the toughest UCONN type player on the team..

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Dan’s focus is 2019/2020. He is not spending time obsessing about his 2018/2019 starting line up. Of course, he will try to win every game and we can expect he will try to pull off a reclassification surprise. However, his focus is talent for 2019/2020.
As far as the current group of players, they need to exhibit dramatic strength and conditioning improvement - and that starts with Jalen.
Dan’s observing the same weakness Chief has been preaching about for a few years and even Dan Sr noted at the press conference.
I have to disagree here with the first part of this no matter how you have phrased it. I would be quite certain that Hurley's immediate primary focus is on 2018-2019. Recruiting the best players for next year so that we can start winning and reset our template for a successful program. The momentum for reestablishing the excellence of our program relies on UConn recruiting the best players possible now and playing really strongly next year. This sets the precedent for continued attraction of high level recruits. It makes believers out of people.

From where we sit there are only two scholarships for 2019-2020. I know this is subject to change however, and I do understand the importance of the 2019-2020 class.

From a head coaching standpoint Hurley needs to address every aspect of this program, so that his model for success is in place. I'm quite sure his focus is grounded in the present.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I have to disagree here with the first part of this no matter how you have phrased it. I would be quite certain that Hurley's immediate primary focus is on 2018-2019. Recruiting the best players for next year so that we can start winning and reset our template for a successful program. The momentum for reestablishing the excellence of our program relies on UConn recruiting the best players possible now and playing really strongly next year. This sets the precedent for continued attraction of high level recruits. It makes believers out of people.

From where we sit there are only two scholarships for 2019-2020. I know this is subject to change however, and I do understand the importance of the 2019-2020 class.

From a head coaching standpoint Hurley needs to address every aspect of this program, so that his model for success is in place. I'm quite sure his focus is grounded in the present.

Quite frankly, we are all fans and by definition live in the present. Dan’s job is to rebuilt the program and if that means he thinks we can score with elite 2019/2020 recruits, why would he give up 4 year scholarships for mediocre recruits available this late in the season?
Of course, he is working on a couple unique situations but as far as the big fishing net it’s cast for 2019/2020.

Reaction Score
You guys really think CV is going to be a happy camper being on the bench after starting so many games? Regardless of the fact that is was more out of circumstances that he ended up starting the amount of times he did the last few seasons...
He will be a upper classmen who grinded through the bad seasons. He is not going to be happy in that plan. Plus he is way to competitive.

If someone starts over CV he better be a STUD cause CV may need to work on control and shot selection he is by far the toughest UCONN type player on the team..
You show me a coach who plays a kid more than he should just because he won't be happy and I'll show you a bad coach.

You think most guys in D1 are happy if they're not starting? Of course they're not. You don't want them to be anyway. If CV isn't starting he's still going to get good minutes coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we are all fans and by definition live in the present. Dan’s job is to rebuilt the program and if that means he thinks we can score with elite 2019/2020 recruits, why would he give up 4 year scholarships for mediocre recruits available this late in the season?
Of course, he us working on a couple unique situations but as far as the big fishing net it’s cast for 2019/2020.
Well, I surely was not suggesting he tie up 4 year scholarships on lesser players, and you do confirm a a valid point, that if we don't get the guys we want for freshman, we mix it up with top tier transfers or grad transfers.
We'll have to see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Winning now our showing some incremental improvement will help with 2019/2020 recruiting won't it. Another year similar to last won't be blame on the carryover players. It'll be seen simply add the current state of our program.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You show me a coach who plays a kid more than he should just because he won't be happy and I'll show you a bad coach.

You think most guys in D1 are happy if they're not starting? Of course they're not. You don't want them to be anyway. If CV isn't starting he's still going to get good minutes coming off the bench.

Best thing that could happen for CV's game is to have to fight for minutes. I guarantee he'll become a smarter player that way. And we know he's hungry.

C

Chief00

Best thing that could happen for CV's game is to have to fight for minutes. I guarantee he'll become a smarter player that way. And we know he's hungry.
I certainly don’t claim to speak for Dan, I won’t try to do that. My sense is he plans on coaching and conditioning up his current players with Tom Moore mapping out targets for 2019/2020. True, many will be players Dan or Young have the inside with - but Tom will map it all out, priorities will be set by Dan and yes plan B’s will be formulated. I think one issue with Stone and Diallo under KO was we didn’t have a plan B all along - so by the time they rejected us, KO had to go to plan D. That’s one of the things we discussed at Blaze the summer of 2017, but never got the chance to see it play out. Contrary to what some casual fans might think - you should always have a plan B and C going. Most top targets will pick another school even if you are great at recruiting saved maybe Duke and UK.

That mapping out the plan based on Dan’s direction is a real strength of Tom’s.

Reaction Score
you would think after two seasons with last year being a massive improvement for him that he would be really let down by being relegated to the bench for a prospective freshman in lecque.

I wouldn't call last year a massive improvement. The massive improvement really came in conference play during his freshman year. Last year, he played like a guy with the greenest light in America. I don't want to say he didn't improve at all, but honestly, they were so bad, and developed so many bad habits, that it's tough to feel good about any of them after last season. Most of the remaining hope I have tied up in that Adams/Vital back court still stems from three days in Hartford last March. Aside from that, it was like watching the pro am. I don't put much stock into the raw numbers.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call last year a massive improvement. The massive improvement really came in conference play during his freshman year. Last year, he played like a guy with the greenest light in America. I don't want to say he didn't improve at all, but honestly, they were so bad, and developed so many bad habits, that it's tough to feel good about any of them after last season. Most of the remaining hope I have tied up in that Adams/Vital back court still stems from three days in Hartford last March. Aside from that, it was like watching the pro am. I don't put much stock into the raw numbers.
we are looking at grad transfers, for the very reason of , drumroll! "raw numbers." and then we look at these grad transfers to probably fill in a starting role gap left behind by Larrier

Reaction Score

My point was misunderstood. The point was that CV would not be happy.. I believe that the players who have the best chance of bringing sucess should be on the floor regardless of what class they are.. If its 5 freshman who have the best chance of winning then lets do it..

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The lack of size and strength is the only thing we’ve heard about the team from Dan Sr, which is telling. Like JC Dan Sr., is a HOF coach who isn’t shy

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams liked this Jalen Lecque video on his IG

I apologize if I am out of the loop, but do we have a shot at Jalen Lecque? He looks like he's being recruited by many top schools. Does Hurley have an in?

C

Chief00

The lack of size and strength is the only thing we’ve heard about the team from Dan Sr, which is telling. Like JC Dan Sr., is a HOF coach who isn’t shy

One of those HOF coaches told me you can beat an opponent or be beaten a number of ways (having a perfect APR was never mentioned). Better conditioning for his teams was always both a fact and a psychological advantage at the end of games. Size and explosive strength down low was also mentioned and how that translated into fast breaks, second chance points and quite frankly intimidation.

Of course, he also mentioned skill, game prep and desire. But, giving everyone
the benefit of the doubt on those traits since Jim’s last year of involvement (2014) - strength and conditioning have clearly been missing. These HOF coach’s have an eye test which works in a nano second. If a current player wants playing time next year - he better realize that now and start working - not on catchy phrases but real workouts. For the Hurley’s an apple doesn’t fall far from the tree - Dan will be seeing things the way his Dad did.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Adams returns, we get Lecque and Smith, and Hurley goes hard for 2019 recruits we'll be good

Reaction Score
One of those HOF coaches told me you can beat an opponent or be beaten a number of ways (having a perfect APR was never mentioned). Better conditioning for his teams was always both a fact and a psychological advantage at the end of games. Size and explosive strength down low was also mentioned and how that translated into fast breaks, second chance points and quite frankly intimidation.

Of course, he also mentioned skill, game prep and desire. But, giving everyone
the benefit of the doubt on those traits since Jim’s last year of involvement (2016) - strength and conditioning have clearly been missing. These HOF coach’s have an eye test which works in a nano second. If a current player wants playing time next year - he better realize that now and start working - not on catchy phrases but real workouts. For the Hurley’s an apple doesn’t fall far from the tree - Dan will be seeing things the way his Dad did.

I think you make some real valid points in general as it relates to S & C. A friend of mine is closely connected to one of the best S & C coaches in the country. This guy is so ingrained into the culture of the program that the teams success last year according to the head coach was highly attributable to the S & C coaches performance not just in the off season but more importantly during the season as well.

It is clear the facilities @ URI were not exactly P5 worthy but it was always concerning to me seeing the conditioning of Andre Berry during his tenure at URI. URI's defensive efficiency #'s took a real hit with him starting at the 5. Hopefully Berry is more of an outlier. After Martin graduated it seemed Hurley was pressed into rolling with Berry for extended minutes which ultimately cost URI significantly on the defensive end. The development of an alternative was not on the table for last year either. Berry had always struggled with weight and conditioning issues. It seemed however he ended his career (4 years later) quite frankly in terrible condition.

Maybe with an uptick in recruiting/resources this will give Hurley more leverage looking forward?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I apologize if I am out of the loop, but do we have a shot at Jalen Lecque? He looks like he's being recruited by many top schools. Does Hurley have an in?
Yeah, we have a very good shot. Lots of talk surrounding the possibility right now. May or may not be a package deal with Omar Silvero. Ever since Hurley came aboard this whole Lecque thing started. I don't have any info myself, just passing along what others have said.

Reaction Score

For the purposes of this upcoming year the idea of being a bit more inclusive and casting a wider net made sense to me. I understand the optimism surrounding the prospects of the 2019 class (all warranted and hopefully comes to fruition). When you are looking at immediate need based talent to put the 2018/19 team in a position to make the tournament and maybe win a game or 2...it helps to reach out to kids like an Austin Trice. In the alternative of course a solid GS big. All of our front court players lack the development and skill right now to be an integral part of an NCAA Tourney team next year. If we overload with talent in the back court it may mitigate some of the grave deficiencies up front.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For the purposes of this upcoming year the idea of being a bit more inclusive and casting a wider net made sense to me. I understand the optimism surrounding the prospects of the 2019 class (all warranted and hopefully comes to fruition). When you are looking at immediate need based talent to put the 2018/19 team in a position to make the tournament and maybe win a game or 2...it helps to reach out to kids like an Austin Trice. In the alternative of course a solid GS big. All of our front court players lack the development and skill right now to be an integral part of an NCAA Tourney team next year. If we overload with talent in the back court it may mitigate some of the grave deficiencies up front.

This is one year, I would love two solid grad transfers. Being able to have those scholarships open for next year is critical. But I want to win some this year*, if only to put the new regimes 'we are here' stamp on the program.

*I still think the tournament is an outside shot. Highly dependent on who comes in for next year. And more importantly, how well they gel. Given our conference, and the need to front load, it's tough to incorporate a lot of new pieces every year. They've got to be in sync early.

Reaction Score
we are looking at grad transfers, for the very reason of , drumroll! "raw numbers." and then we look at these grad transfers to probably fill in a starting role gap left behind by TL

I'm not sure what this has to do with my point. By no means is Vital a bad player, but the reality is that he was inefficient last year. Some of that will improve by virtue of playing alongside better players, but a lot of it was his own doing. He took some of the most reckless shots I've seen a UConn player take last season.

Whoever we target as a grad transfer is a separate issue. The only way I see Vital coming off the bench this season is if we sign a player like Lecque out of high school, and even then, he may very well start at the three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom