Ideal 2018-19 Roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ideal 2018-19 Roster

Reaction Score
Bumped this thread to make an observation re 2019 recruiting that might impact people's thinking re who we embrace for 2018-2019 and how attractive a particular 3* guard might be.

I looked closely at 247's composite listing. 15 of the Top 45 in 2019 are Centers and only 3 are point guards, and, only 2 of those are uncommitted. From #45 to #100 there are 8 other PG's with 5 of them uncommitted. The implication with 7 modestly rated point guards in the top 100, is that the pickings are very thin that any program is going to improve themselves at point guard in 2019. Certainly suggests Akinjo is a more hurtful loss because there is less than a handful of equally regarded point guards to pursue. Also might suggest that we have a good chance to improve our frontcourt based on numbers as well as the connections to particular kids. Some competition will be satisfied elsewhere. FWIW

Reaction Score
It would be great if Lecque and Akok reclassed to 18 and we picked up both.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this post deserved a whole other thread but I wanted to, with all of the recent news and changes, sum up a list of prospective recruits that have the most buzz/interest on our end with the new staff in place. Would love to hear some debate on the players we'd like to get and any additions I am forgetting.

In my eyes ideally it would be Lecque, Silverio if its a package and Smith/Carr. (wouldn't mind at all bringing back Akinjo in replacement of the latter two/three). If that was the case we could focus on bigs and a wing in 2019. With my realistic sights being on Delaire, Achiuwa, Akok. Love Bouknights game though if we whiff on Lecque. And love Colemans inside and out game with his size if we lose any big due to attrition of any kind.

2018 Recruits

Jalen Lecque
Omar Silverio
Serrel Smith
Brendan Adams
James Akinjo

Regular Transfers

Isaiah Washington
Marcus Carr
Jamir Harris

Grad Transfers

Joe Cremo
James Scott
Joseph Chartouny

Precious Achiuwa
Jaiden Delaire
Kofi Cockburn
Akok Akok
James Bouknight
Tre Mitchell
Sherif Kenney
Charles Coleman
Tyrese Samuel
Khalif Battle
(Jalen Lecque) **If no reclass

Unlikely Crew

Brandon Williams
Jermaine Harris

I honestly feel people are dreaming about Jalen Lecque. He would be the school's best recruit in almost 7-8 years. I don't see him passing up a UNC or Duke offer. I also think we lost the Chol Marial contest when he left Connecticut for Florida.

With that said, landing Kofi Cockburn, Akok Akok, and James Bouknight should be our priorities IMO with Akok Akok looking like one of Hurley's top targets right now. If we can't land Bouknight then getting Sherik Kenney would be a good back-up but has Hurley's new staff talked to him? I thought the last interaction was with Ollie's staff.

I am not 100% sold on Tre Mitchell, Jaiden Delaire, or Paul Mulcahy compared to the above top III but I would love to see in-state boys Mitchell and Delaire in a Husky jersey. It seemed like Ollie overlooked the talent in his own backyard and Hurley is playing it close to home.

Has Hurley reached out to Precious Achiuwa? I think that would be a coupe if we could steal him from the big schools. I can't even imagine a roster with Jalen Lecque, Precious Achiuwa, Brendan Adams, and Akok Akok. Through Kofi Cockburn or Sherif Kenney in the mix and that would be a sight to see. I am still trying to be realistic and say that we are probably 2-3 years away from Hurley pulling in a top 10-15 recruiting class.

Reaction Score
And are we totally writing off the following guys:

Isaiah Wong
John Bol Ajak
Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd
Dimon Carrigan

Reaction Score
@YoungFree, Have you seen Sherif Kenney in person? When I watched him twice, Sherif Kenney was literally awful. As a guard, his handle was the equal of Terry Larrier. His dribble got away from him 1 out of every 3 times he put the ball on the floor. He pounded the ball into the floor as he went hard in some direction and inevitably when he spun or changed direction the ball would be chest high and get away from him. Sometimes this was at mid court when he was bringing the ball up against token pressure, and sometimes when he tried to take it to the hole. At least 6-8 times in one game, and possibly without a defender ever touching the ball or defending hard enough to be the cause of the mishandle. He chased the ball down and didn't lose the possession every time the ball got away from him, but I was stunningly unimpressed. In terms of style, he seemed like Eric Ayala lite when he didn't lose the ball. If my 2 game sample happens to be an aberration then take it for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
@YoungFree, Have you seen Sherif Kenney in person? When I watched him twice, Sherif Kenney was literally awful. As a guard, his handle was the equal of Terry TL. His dribble got away from him 1 out of every 3 times he put the ball on the floor. He pounded the ball into the floor as he went hard in some direction and inevitably when he spun or changed direction the ball would be chest high and get away from him. Sometimes this was at mid court when he was bringing the ball up against token pressure, and sometimes when he tried to take it to the hole. At least 6-8 times in one game, and possibly without a defender ever touching the ball or defending hard enough to be the cause of the mishandle. He chased the ball down and didn't lose the possession every time the ball got away from him, but I was stunningly unimpressed. In terms of style, he seemed like Eric Ayala lite when he didn't lose the ball. If my 2 game sample happens to be an aberration then take it for what it's worth.
Nope I haven't. I appreciate your observations as I didn't review tape all that well .I thought he was a little raw but not that bad . I totally don't want another Larrier on the team. He is one guy I was happy to see go.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Winning now our showing some incremental improvement will help with 2019/2020 recruiting won't it. Another year similar to last won't be blame on the carryover players. It'll be seen simply add the current state of our program.
Agreed. For the benefit of the program as a whole, 2018-2019 needs to be a year in which things are clearly headed in the right direction. That means competitive play and more wins, hopefully at least 20. That would be incremental and marked improvement and would bolster our ability to attract quality recruits going forward. You're right- another season like last will be damaging and I am certain Coach Hurley is not writing off next season as a rebuilding one. I think he's looking and expecting to be competitive and win from day one with what he has.

Reaction Score
Agreed. For the benefit of the program as a whole, 2018-2019 needs to be a year in which things are clearly headed in the right direction. That means competitive play and more wins, hopefully at least 20. That would be incremental and marked improvement and would bolster our ability to attract quality recruits going forward. You're right- another season like last will be damaging and I am certain Coach Hurley is not writing off next season as a rebuilding one. I think he's looking and expecting to be competitive and win from day one with what he has.

20? I'm just hoping to hit that elusive .500....to me that would be a success for a team under a first year coach

Reaction Score
@YoungFree, Have you seen Sherif Kenney in person? When I watched him twice, Sherif Kenney was literally awful. As a guard, his handle was the equal of Terry TL. His dribble got away from him 1 out of every 3 times he put the ball on the floor. He pounded the ball into the floor as he went hard in some direction and inevitably when he spun or changed direction the ball would be chest high and get away from him. Sometimes this was at mid court when he was bringing the ball up against token pressure, and sometimes when he tried to take it to the hole. At least 6-8 times in one game, and possibly without a defender ever touching the ball or defending hard enough to be the cause of the mishandle. He chased the ball down and didn't lose the possession every time the ball got away from him, but I was stunningly unimpressed. In terms of style, he seemed like Eric Ayala lite when he didn't lose the ball. If my 2 game sample happens to be an aberration then take it for what it's worth.
I have seen him like you and think your observations are spot on.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
20? I'm just hoping to hit that elusive .500....to me that would be a success for a team under a first year coach
Maybe 20 is optimistic but I don't think it's unreachable...even going 18-12 would be a noticeable improvement.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
To me, I think the roster as is with a good coach should be around 20 wins. I'm expecting at least some improvement from all the returning players since most are so young. Anything from AG is extra bonus. The bigs should focus on hitting the weight room and footwork. If the guards/wings can improve their shooting it will be a good season.

Reaction Score
All I want is Terrance Clarke in 2020/2021 I'm ready to start sending cards and flowers

Reaction Score

Saw him in the tournament at Albertus Magnus last November (with Kisunas) after reading Ollie was recruiting him and I was surprised at how ineffective he was. All I could think was Ollie wants a BIG guard and weight was the key.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For the yard basketball experts; does it seem like we are headed towards;

For 2018: B. Adams and grad transfers T. Smith and the St Johns kid.

For 2019: Leque (spelling), Mulcahy, Delaire and Cockburn or Akok?

Reaction Score
For the yard basketball experts; does it seem like we are headed towards;

For 2018: B. Adams and grad transfers T. Smith and the St Johns kid.

For 2019: Leque (spelling), Mulcahy, Delaire and Cockburn or Akok?

That 2019 class would in insane.

Reaction Score
That 2019 class would in insane.

That 2019 contingent would be a great class obviously. I hope that's not our 2018 class. T.Smith maybe but no thanks to the other two. Akinjo was a big loss and my sense was Hurley didn't even try to re-recruit him. I
don't know why.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Lecque, Delaire, Akok, and Kofi would be utterly absurd for 2019.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That 2019 contingent would be a great class obviously. I hope that's not our 2018 class. T.Smith maybe but no thanks to the other two. Akinjo was a big loss and my sense was Hurley didn't even try to re-recruit him. I
don't know why.

Seemed like Akinjo wasn't interested tbh. He was more about Ollie than UCONN. Not faulting the kid for that mind you.

Reaction Score
Seemed like Akinjo wasn't interested tbh. He was more about Ollie than UCONN. Not faulting the kid for that mind you.
Akinjo was committed to Ollie, not UConn. Once he was gone, it was over. I'm not sure where this made up narrative that Hurley didn't want him comes from.

Reaction Score
I honestly feel people are dreaming about Jalen Lecque. He would be the school's best recruit in almost 7-8 years. I don't see him passing up a UNC or Duke offer. I also think we lost the Chol Marial contest when he left Connecticut for Florida.

With that said, landing Kofi Cockburn, Akok Akok, and James Bouknight should be our priorities IMO with Akok Akok looking like one of Hurley's top targets right now. If we can't land Bouknight then getting Sherik Kenney would be a good back-up but has Hurley's new staff talked to him? I thought the last interaction was with Ollie's staff.

I am not 100% sold on Tre Mitchell, Jaiden Delaire, or Paul Mulcahy compared to the above top III but I would love to see in-state boys Mitchell and Delaire in a Husky jersey. It seemed like Ollie overlooked the talent in his own backyard and Hurley is playing it close to home.

Has Hurley reached out to Precious Achiuwa? I think that would be a coupe if we could steal him from the big schools. I can't even imagine a roster with Jalen Lecque, Precious Achiuwa, Brendan Adams, and Akok Akok. Through Kofi Cockburn or Sherif Kenney in the mix and that would be a sight to see. I am still trying to be realistic and say that we are probably 2-3 years away from Hurley pulling in a top 10-15 recruiting class.

Why arent you sold on delaire? Hes state POY.

Lack of elite athleticism?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why arent you sold on delaire? Hes state POY.

Lack of elite athleticism?

So he can ball out but isn't an elite athlete (ie can't jump early). Sign me up.

Reaction Score
Akinjo was committed to Ollie, not UConn. Once he was gone, it was over. I'm not sure where this made up narrative that Hurley didn't want him comes from.

For sure, Akinjo committed to UConn because of Ollie but that doesn't mean hurley couldn't have won him back with a good pitch. my sense was he didn't even try. Maybe he likes bigger guards or wanted Adams because he already had a relationship with him. We'll never know what really happened but I do think Akinjo was the better recruit and not by just a little.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom