Ice Brady Talks Her Recruitment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady Talks Her Recruitment

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
There's always conflict when one religion replaces another. The Birdists will not yield easily to the Bueckerites but the outcome is inevitable. ;)
Love her to death but..
"Don't mean a thing if it ain't got tht ring" her time will come grasshopper.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's always conflict when one religion replaces another. The Birdists will not yield easily to the Bueckerites but the outcome is inevitable. ;)
And here I thought it was Birdies and Bueckeroos.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I get that it's controversial but my point is that Page is more of a shooting guard. That doesn't mean she can't be a point guard but to me Paige isn't a floor general in the sense of running the offense conventionally and she generally doesn't penetrate off the dribble. She usually lines up as a wing ...right? We don't really have a conventional point guard still in my opinion. If you watch Kiki's game she dribble penetrates a lot and has a quick first step. Paige is like a lot of players and is a hybrid.
Paige is a point guard period!! The fact that she is also a great shooter is what made her National player of the year. I would take her over anyone to run the team, and I can't believe you think that she can't. Were you in a coma last year, didn't you see how she did run the team? Nika took over because Paige did what she did best, and that is pass. She even said she would rather pass than shoot, something that would be said by a point guard. The move to SG by Geno was done to make her shoot more. His idea, not hers.

Reaction Score
Yet Geno had consistently throughout last season told Paige to pass less and shoot more. UConn wouldn't have beaten SCar without her shooting more and passing less.

But indeed Paige does run the offense that Geno wants and quite conventionally. Though you haven't seen her penetrate and kick much doesn't mean she can't. If you'd watched much of Paige's HS games she did a lot of dribble penetration, and in watching last years games you'd note she did quite a bit as well. Geno's offense though has always been an offense based on cutting into the lane. If you're not cutting, set a pick. It's never been an offense based around creating off the dribble, but around passing the ball and movement. Geno's offense, as is many throughout WCBB and the Association, is a hybrid triangle. Now, I've noted before that Kiki's first step is one of the best, but in coming to UConn she's going to have to play off the ball, which I'm certain she can do well.
As I previously said, he did want her to shoot more an pass less! She did play off the ball a lot. That in no way says that she is not a point guard but rather that her coach (given that he had a serviceable point guard in Nika) wanted maximize her scoring ability because of the poor (relatively) outside shooting from the rest of the team. That problem (hopefully) has been addressed with the addition of two of the top three point bombers in the country and two more (Saylor and Dorka) that have potential. I have no argument with saying that Paige can play the off guard spot extremely well. However, that doesn’t mean that’s her natural position.

Reaction Score
Paige is a point guard period!! The fact that she is also a great shooter is what made her National player of the year. I would take her over anyone to run the team, and I can't believe you think that she can't. Were you in a coma last year, didn't you see how she did run the team? Nika took over because Paige did what she did best, and that is pass. She even said she would rather pass than shoot, something that would be said by a point guard. The move to SG by Geno was done to make her shoot more. His idea, not hers.
If Geno made her a SG what do you think that tells you dude!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The fact that Auriemma played Collier at center never told me for a second that Collier was a natural center.

The fact that Auriemma played the 5’11” Turner as a power forward never told me for a second that Turner was a natural power forward.

Those decisions told me Auriemma had gaps in his roster, the same explanation @Bald Huskie was making when you challenged the “dude.” You in essence are asking him to repeat himself. I’m saving him the trouble by putting it in a different way.

Reaction Score
It tells me that the team needed her scoring more than her passing. That's the only reason why she played so much off ball.
Probably true but that is also because she did not have even one significantly better than average three point shooter to pass to. Christyn, Evina and Nika are just ok, but opposing defenses would much rather give up a three to those players than any shot by Paige, or a close one inside to Liv or Aaliyah.

Paige off the ball may be as much about Nika as Paige. If Nika is going to play she is best as a point guard Paige can do both.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Probably true but that is also because she did not have even one significantly better than average three point shooter to pass to. Christyn, Evina and Nika are just ok, but opposing defenses would much rather give up a three to those players than any shot by Paige, or a close one inside to Liv or Aaliyah.

Paige off the ball may be as much about Nika as Paige. If Nika is going to play she is best as a point guard Paige can do both.
Like I've been saying, a combo guard, geno loves positionless "plug in where needed type players". Sometimes centers are forwards, forwards are centers, guards are wings, wings are guards, etc....jmo

Reaction Score
Next year, right? 3 seniors gone.

Are you saying that Diana T was a PG? Paige's game is almost the same as DT's, including how they play defense....PG or SG or both, depending on circumstances on the floor, plays either. Geno dreams of a team of players capable of positionless basketball....in the current team, Paige is #1 candidate and Azzi is a close second. Surprisingly, Caroline is showing that Geno is right when he referred to this freshman class possibilities for positionless BB team. Then there are the skill sets and mobility of Amari, Ayanna and Isuneh.....and Nika is tall enough that she only has to improve her mindset about scoring......if Dorka is still around, she has shown enough to fit into that kind of team.

I think everyone should stop thinking about fixed positions.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Next year, right? 3 seniors gone.

Are you saying that Diana T was a PG? Paige's game is almost the same as DT's, including how they play defense....PG or SG or both, depending on circumstances on the floor, plays either. Geno dreams of a team of players capable of positionless basketball....in the current team, Paige is #1 candidate and Azzi is a close second. Surprisingly, Caroline is showing that Geno is right when he referred to this freshman class possibilities for positionless BB team. Then there are the skill sets and mobility of Amari, Ayanna and Isuneh.....and Nika is tall enough that she only has to improve her mindset about scoring......if Dorka is still around, she has shown enough to fit into that kind of team.
I think everyone should stop thinking about fixed positions.....
DT has something called a Lieberman Trophy as the best PG for the 2003-2004 season so she qualifies as a PG. I wish some would stop mis-stating and mi-understanding and taking this concept t of "positionless basketball" to such extremes. The concept is not new Geno has always recruited versatile players that are capable of playing more than one position. The ability to play more than one position even from every single player on the roster does not make a team "positionless" As brillant as Azzi, Paige and Caroline are, UCONN will need improved front court play from the Center and PF positions if UCONN is to secure a championship. The reason I can't stop thinking about fixed positions is because every recent UCONN loss has been directly attributable to UCONN losing a position battle in the front court. "Nika is tall enough" for what exactly?

Reaction Score
There is no way a freshman Kiki will start before a junior Muhl if Muhl is still at UConn. If she has improved play over last season, she will have an above average season this year and will be a mainstay in the starting lineup in 2022. Kiki still has to learn a system Muhl already knows and plays well in. If Kiki starts at the start of the season it will mean she is super and/or Muhl has either stopped improving or has regressed. Just saying.
Where is Paige in this scenario?

Reaction Score
Plus Dorka and Nika. Caroline first off the bench.
I think you’ve got it backward. Caroline will start an Nika will be backup point guard. Either way though, I’m sure happy we have them to debate over!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
DT has something called a Lieberman Trophy as the best PG for the 2003-2004 season so she qualifies as a PG. I wish some would stop mis-stating and mi-understanding and taking this concept t of "positionless basketball" to such extremes. The concept is not new Geno has always recruited versatile players that are capable of playing more than one position. The ability to play more than one position even from every single player on the roster does not make a team "positionless" As brillant as Azzi, Paige and Caroline are, UCONN will need improved front court play from the Center and PF positions if UCONN is to secure a championship. The reason I can't stop thinking about fixed positions is because every recent UCONN loss has been directly attributable to UCONN losing a position battle in the front court. "Nika is tall enough" for what exactly?
Very true. We UConn fans can't continue to promote the idea of "positionless" basketball (which is a chimera) on one hand, then rue the lack of real post on the other. Geno's hybrid offense, which involves a mixture of a Princeton offense with a hybrid triangle, demands players have more versatility than the old Post/PF/SF/SG/Pg configuration. That hardly makes his offenses positionless. No one really expects Paige to cover Boston in the lane, or expect Liv to cover Caitlin, do they?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Where is Paige in this scenario?
If you are a UConn fan, you know the answer to that. I was responding to a post that had nothing to do with Paige.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If she thinks the student only crowd was wild wait until she gets a load of us non-student fans. We make those kids look like a knitting circle.
She may faint! when she sees the white beards and blue hair!!

Reaction Score
For three positions if she improves her scoring....in a 3 guard lineup and not just stuck to ball handling traditional PG. Of course, in this team, even if she were capable, there are better scoring guard options. Positionless talk from Geno doesn't mean he plays 5 guards like DePaul does sometimes.....he has taller players but the taller players can play any of the three front court slots, but not ball handling. However, Geno has played 4 guards before and still does.

I think you are the one extending what is implied by that term beyond what the Coach meant when mere fans like us repeat it. No?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is one of the players I have probably been most excited about since their commitment. She’s like Morgan Tuck with a little Aja Wilson I think she will see major minutes right away next season.
I like a lot of things about Brady. The thing I like most is she’s NOT a magician. She’s already proven numerous times that she shows up and is productive in BIG games.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
- I don’t know if UConn has ever had a player quite like Ice, a big, strong, physical player with a great shooting touch all the way out to the arc
Uhh, how do you say, Maya Moore?

Reaction Score
Geno put her at SG last season out of necessity because ALL of his 2/3's couldn't make an outside shot. And if you want a player to take 20 shots then you let someone else bring the ball up and start the offense.
Now that Fudd and Ducharme are playing Bueckers won't need to take 20 shots a game and can return to more of a playmaker role where her genius really shows. And as a proven prolific shooter she will make it tough for defenses to overplay anyone else because they are already helping on her and on Fudd. And they are both excellent passers so giving that help will be very difficult. Bueckers has already displayed her ability to draw defenders away from her teammates and then give them easy baskets with her deft passes. Fudd may not be a genius at passing like her sidekick (just outstanding) but she makes up for it by being a better outside shooter than Bueckers, which is saying something.

I've felt cheated so far this season. After waiting 2+ years to see it they still haven't played a healthy game together at UConn.

But all's well that ends well. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Uhh, how do you say, Maya Moore?
Maya was great to be sure. But I’ve has some big time post skills that imo differentiate her from Maya.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom