Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But no way they outplay Dorka for her starting spot. UConn is incredibly lucky that Dorka came back for second year. That may have been her agreement with coach when she came to Connecticut. I hope Geno’s gamble pays off with the freshman and sophomore posts and it is a gamble. I believe in a previous post you stated he’s betting on his ability and his staff’s ability. If any staff can make it happen Connecticut’s is that staff.
And that’s fine. No transfer was likely to outplay Dorka either. What UConn is looking for is steady development by Amari, Ice & Ayanna to the point where they are capable of playing “meaningful” minutes in big games. I don’t view that as a gamble. It’s more of an educated prediction based on Geno’s 43 years in basketball, successfully evaluating & coaching up players to reach their potential.

The odds of at least one of the three Bigs becoming a regular rotation player are extremely good. If it ends up being 2 or all 3, that’s an added bonus. Then Geno’s challenge will be managing 80 minutes per game of PT among 5-6 talented frontcourt players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You have to go a long way back to remember two stronger, more physically impressive frontcourt players arriving to UConn as freshmen at the same time.
All the way back to 1999

1653054425157.jpeg

Reaction Score
The odds of at least one of the three Bigs becoming a regular rotation player are extremely good. If it ends up being 2 or all 3, that’s an added bonus. Then Geno’s challenge will be managing 80 minutes per game of PT among 5-6 talented frontcourt players.
one way to manage distributing 80 mins of pt among 5-6 rotation players is to run more. Revert to the version of UConn that runs opponents ragged. In a pressing D everybody runs.

Reaction Score
I think Brady will be a revelation............a strong big with the ability to score from every area on the court has been a rarity at UConn...........and most other schools too.......;)
Yes perhaps. Im hopeful. I mean before Boston stepped foot on the SC campus not many of any one expected her to be this good. People weren’t talking about her as generational as they were Paige and Azzi. But what she has become is the best post in America.

We can hope that Brady can be close to what Boston was as a freshman and Ayanna somewhat like a Brianna Turner was for Notre Dame. If that happens we will have a great shot next year to win. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
I'm happy that she's joining the program. She's super talented and seems like a great kid.

I'm interested to see how the big rotation works this upcoming season. I thought Liv was very good last year and will be missed. I kinda feel like AE is the only one who is for sure going to play a lot of minutes. I'm a big Dorka of fan, but with her injury and stiff competition, I could see her getting similar minutes to last year instead of increasing her role. I wouldn't be in favor of that but coach seems excited about Amari and Ice so they may be ready to play this year.
As a "big" Dorka fan, in my opinion, Dorka's knowledge of Geno's " system"
and her passing skills ( high - low and backdoor passing ), setting screens, etc., are
all big ++. She may develope into the " strong forward" and then the paint will be
for Amari and ICE??? Should be interesting. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score

After UConn lost to South Carolina in the championship Auriemma sent Brady and Ayanna Patterson, the program’s other incoming freshman, a text message.
“What did you guys learn from that game that we just lost?” Brady recalled him asking.
The trio discussed things such as rebounding, physicality and toughness after a game in which the Huskies were outrebounded 49-24 and allowed 22 second-chance points.“Just like that, right there, he told me that he expects that from me coming in,” Brady told The Hartford Courant this week. “I’m just excited to get out there, prove myself and see what I can do.”
I refuse to get off MY broken record, the more apropos question to me since Auriemma chose to bench the player who brought toughness to the court for Uconn WBB every time she stepped on it for two years, what did HE learn from the loss?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I refuse to get off MY broken record, the more apropos question to me since Auriemma chose to bench the player who brought toughness to the court for Uconn WBB every time she stepped on it for two years, what did HE learn from the loss?
I’m sure nowhere near as much as you have. You should email him to let him know your thoughts.

Reaction Score
But no way they outplay Dorka for her starting spot. UConn is incredibly lucky that Dorka came back for second year. That may have been her agreement with coach when she came to Connecticut. I hope Geno’s gamble pays off with the freshman and sophomore posts and it is a gamble. I believe in a previous post you stated he’s betting on his ability and his staff’s ability. If any staff can make it happen Connecticut’s is that staff.
It's not much of a gamble though. Edwards was ranked 23 and stepped in fine off the bench as a frosh. To think that between none of the two frosh and the number 15 rank recruit form lats year can't be a decent enough backup imo is a stretch. We have three players all highly ranked.

And there is a little to worry about if you play small vs certain teams in which they could be a bad matchup on a given day or if Griff comes back even less to worry about.

Reaction Score
Brady gives me Morgan Tuck 2.0 She will def be a game changer with her shooting ability. Hopefully she can bang with the likes of Boston and Cardoso.

Reaction Score
Boston was good coming in to SC but she made a jump in her physicality last year. She was in fantastic shape. She is the best shot blocker in WCBB. They way to beat her is to have bigs who can shoot from 3 ball land and get her away from the basket. Maybe Ice and Amari can do that. We also were extremely sucessfull in the game last year in the first half scoring on our fast break offense versus our half court sets. Liv's defense and shot blocking was the key. Can Dorka do that? That is why we play the game. Grab your popcorn and let them go.

Reaction Score
No diatribe.
Welcome to McDonalds— “have it your way”.
Or, as Warner Wolfe used to say— “let’s go to the video tape”.
Mauled on the boards the last three meetings.
Coulda been because of a hangnail.
Coulda been because of a groin injury.
Coulda been because of a phase of the moon.
Would a healthy Dorka closed the rebounding “gap”( chasm)?
Some, but recent past history indicates not enough.
Rebound numbers from last three meetings render your excuses invalid/inadequate.
Numbers don’t lie.
That’s why they keep score.
11 rings to 2 rings ~~ just keeping score.
B&C

Reaction Score
Yes perhaps. Im hopeful. I mean before Boston stepped foot on the SC campus not many of any one expected her to be this good. People weren’t talking about her as generational as they were Paige and Azzi. But what she has become is the best post in America.

We can hope that Brady can be close to what Boston was as a freshman and Ayanna somewhat like a Brianna Turner was for Notre Dame. If that happens we will have a great shot next year to win. Fingers crossed!
No doubt if Boston was a UConn player they would have won NCs by adding her skill set to an already really good team.........I'm still not sure whether Boston is truly generational or whether she's just really, really good and has a lot of help up front along with very limited legit competition down low........I'm curious to see how dominant she will be as a professional......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So I had to look up Brady’s use of the word “cheesing” to clarify her meaning. Evidently “cheesing” is a modern slang word for smiling, as in somebody asking you to say “cheese” when they take your picture.

For awhile there I thought Ice was talking about toppings on a pizza …..,:rolleyes:
C’mon OD. I’m older than you are and I knew exactly what she was talking about. :eek: C’mon buddy, try and keep up.:D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's actually confusing since I was familiar with the expression "I am cheesed" which is a way of expressing annoyance.

Reaction Score
When someone asks me a direct question, I try to answer it directly without obfuscation. So in response to your question, “Does that answer your (my) question?” My answer is “No!”

My question for the 3rd and final time is, “Would SC have outrebounded a healthy UConn team by 24?” Rather than going on a lengthy diatribe about past games between UConn & SC, I would suggest three possible answers: 1) Yes 2) No 3) Not sure.
I would suggest SC would have outrebounded a healthy UCONN team by 12, but would have made the game 3-5 point differential with a minute to go and could have gone OT.... Win or lose, it would have been a classic...

If SC only outrebounds UCONN by 6 or fewer this year, UCONN wins in regulation....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No doubt if Boston was a UConn player they would have won NCs by adding her skill set to an already really good team.........I'm still not sure whether Boston is truly generational or whether she's just really, really good and has a lot of help up front along with very limited legit competition down low........I'm curious to see how dominant she will be as a professional......
How can she be generational when a freshman was consensus national player of the year during Boston's sophomore year? She's not only not clearly better than all players for the last five years or so, she's not even clearly the best player playing now. Last year, absolutely, but two years ago a kid a year behind her was.

Reaction Score
How can she be generational when a freshman was consensus national player of the year during Boston's sophomore year? She's not only not clearly better than all players for the last five years or so, she's not even clearly the best player playing now. Last year, absolutely, but two years ago a kid a year behind her was.
Yes we are getting off track here but Boston has been the best player at her position since she was a freshman but that doesn't take away from Bueckers who if healthy appears to be a generational talent in my book.......I'm pretty sure if you asked fifty coaches whether they would rather start a team with either Boston or Bueckers it would be something of a split decision......but how about that Ice Brady!:)

Reaction Score
Put me down as Boston being my first pick to start any current WCBB team. But that's beyond the purview of this thread. I know it's not likely but I see both Ice and Ayanna getting a lot of PT next year. Ice is more skilled and maybe can find a slot faster but Ayanna is just a force out there with her speed, strength and physicality. If she just focuses on rebounding and defense I think she could be a major contributor. What if she's a much better defender than Ice or Amari? This team doesn't need scoring but it sure could benefit from a 10 rebound a game rebounder who can play defense. What if Ayanna turns out to be our best rebounder and defensive stopper as a big?

When you are playing someone like Boston, it's not just height and timing. A skinny post can just be pushed right out of the way. Ono did a credible job against Boston but I really think Ayanna probably has the best chance of keeping her away from the basket on this team. Look at how the Celtics have been playing opposing team's centers with 6' 6" Grant Williams. Strength is a huge factor in post defense.

I love Ice's game overall and think she might even be a better overall prospect than Ayanna but if I had to pick who could help next year's team win more I'd probably pick Ayanna. I wouldn't want to base the team's offense around Ayanna but she might be just what the doctor ordered for team defense and rebounding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom