Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No diatribe.
Welcome to McDonalds— “have it your way”.
Or, as Warner Wolfe used to say— “let’s go to the video tape”.
Mauled on the boards the last three meetings.
Coulda been because of a hangnail.
Coulda been because of a groin injury.
Coulda been because of a phase of the moon.
Would a healthy Dorka closed the rebounding “gap”( chasm)?
Some, but recent past history indicates not enough.
Rebound numbers from last three meetings render your excuses invalid/inadequate.
Numbers don’t lie.
That’s why they keep score.
Stymie my man, one small and really unimportant correction..... “Have it your way” is a catch (advertising) phrase used by Burger King, not McDonald’s. Theirs was: “Look for the golden arches” and “you deserve a break today.” :cool: However we get your drift.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stymie my man, one small and really unimportant correction..... “Have it your way” is a catch (advertising) phrase used by Burger King, not McDonald’s. Theirs was: “Look for the golden arches” and “you deserve a break today.” :cool: However we get your drift.
Correctamundo

Reaction Score
I would suggest SC would have outrebounded a healthy UCONN team by 12, but would have made the game 3-5 point differential with a minute to go and could have gone OT.... Win or lose, it would have been a classic...

If SC only outrebounds UCONN by 6 or fewer this year, UCONN wins in regulation....
The game was lost in the first 5 minutes. I'm not going to research what the rebounding margin was in those first 5 minutes, but rebounding kept UConn from getting back in the game. A 100% healthy UConn would have made the game more interesting, but we can speculate forever if it would have changed the outcome.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The game was lost in the first 5 minutes. I'm not going to research what the rebounding margin was in those first 5 minutes, but rebounding kept UConn from getting back in the game. A 100% healthy UConn would have made the game more interesting, but we can speculate forever if it would have changed the outcome.
The rebound margin for the first 5 minutes of this game was 9 to 0. UCONN did not collect its first rebound until the 4:20 mark of the first quarter (Evina Westbrook). At the end of the first quarter the rebound margin was 12 to 2 (7 Offensive rebounds for SC) . The rebounding margin for the first 15 minutes of this game was 18 to 3. (13 Offensive rebounds for SC) and SC lead by as many as 18 points. To your point UCONN was exhausted from having to defend SC on multiple possessions of the shot clock and was never able to catch up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rebound margin for the first 5 minutes of this game was 9 to 0. UCONN did not collect its first rebound until the 4:20 mark of the first quarter (Evina Westbrook). At the end of the first quarter the rebound margin was 12 to 2. The rebounding margin for the first 15 minutes of this game was 18 to 3 and SC lead by as many as 18 points. To your point UCONN was exhausted from having to defend SC on multiple possessions of the shot clock.

Exactly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I get the funny feeling that @Stymie knew that phrase did not apply to McDonalds and was just being pedantic. Very similar to someone using the word confusement.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Caitlin Clark is generational.
If she had come to UConn to play with Paige we would already have 2 more NC's without needing Boston at all.
Caitlin's shooting talent is going to waste because of the weak team that she plays with.
Everyone knows that she's an amazing shooter, probably the best scorer in the NCAA hands down.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Brady won’t be coming to campus as soon as expected, but for good reason. At the end of May she’ll head to Colorado to compete in trials for USA Basketball in hopes of earning a spot on the U18 team. If Brady makes the 12-player roster, she’ll stay there for a training camp from June 4-12 and then go to Mexico to compete in the FIBA Americas Championship June 13-19.

Reaction Score
I'd gladly take that..........I think Brady has a better outside game than Tuck but I haven't spent enough time analyzing her footwork close to the basket.........if it's even 70% as good as Tuck's we'll all be very pleased with the results.......
Tuck and Collier should visit in the fall "to work on their low post games".

As for the gamble of the freshmen, both Juhasz and Edwards will be the first and second 5 as well as the top two 4's. If the trio of DeBerry, Patterson & Brady can give 30 min a game the starters will stay fresh. Geno's on a roll as far as gambling on freshmen. I'll bet on the 2 freshmen.

Reaction Score
I think most correctly assume Dorka starts at C and gets major minutes. There also seems to be a consensus that AE starts at PF and gets big minutes as well. That I'm not so sure of. Aaliyah was a completely different player her freshmen and sophomore seasons.

Her freshmen season had me thinking we had a future All-American, and we could pencil her in as the PF for the rest of her Uconn career.
Her sophomore season by Uconn standards was mediocre at best, and that level of play could easily be topped by a talented freshmen like Ice or Ayanna, or even Amari in her second year.

Put another way I fully expect both Ice and Ayanna to be better in their first year than Aaliyah was last year. I do not expect either to be as good as Aaliyah was her freshmen season, but they might be. So which Aaliyah do we get as a junior? She was better the second half of the season and that is encouraging, but still wound up significantly short of her first year level.

The Canadian team situation may have been a negative for her, and it might have been a bad sign last summer that she was behind Amihere on that team, and I believe they were also trying to turn her into a wing, which is not a good match. Her stats convince me she was not in the same physical condition as well. Her rebounding and blocked shots per minute decreased dramatically last year, and those are two stats that usually don't change much.

The good news is we could get a major upgrade at starting PF with the same player, if it is freshmen Aaliyah. It would almost be like getting a brand new top level recruit. But at the same time, both seasons actually happened, so there is some chance we get sophomore Aaliyah as well, and if that is the case I think her starting job is certainly in jeopardy to the two talented recruits.

Reaction Score
I think most correctly assume Dorka starts at C and gets major minutes. There also seems to be a consensus that AE starts at PF and gets big minutes as well. That I'm not so sure of. Aaliyah was a completely different player her freshmen and sophomore seasons.

Her freshmen season had me thinking we had a future All-American, and we could pencil her in as the PF for the rest of her Uconn career.
Her sophomore season by Uconn standards was mediocre at best, and that level of play could easily be topped by a talented freshmen like Ice or Ayanna, or even Amari in her second year.

Put another way I fully expect both Ice and Ayanna to be better in their first year than Aaliyah was last year. I do not expect either to be as good as Aaliyah was her freshmen season, but they might be. So which Aaliyah do we get as a junior? She was better the second half of the season and that is encouraging, but still wound up significantly short of her first year level.

The Canadian team situation may have been a negative for her, and it might have been a bad sign last summer that she was behind Amihere on that team, and I believe they were also trying to turn her into a wing, which is not a good match. Her stats convince me she was not in the same physical condition as well. Her rebounding and blocked shots per minute decreased dramatically last year, and those are two stats that usually don't change much.

The good news is we could get a major upgrade at starting PF with the same player, if it is freshmen Aaliyah. It would almost be like getting a brand new top level recruit. But at the same time, both seasons actually happened, so there is some chance we get sophomore Aaliyah as well, and if that is the case I think her starting job is certainly in jeopardy to the two talented recruits.
IMO AE is a lock at Power Forward. The 2nd half of last year she was better than both Dorka and Liv. As a result she can also play the 5, which means Brady, Patterson and Amari can be 4's mostly, if they can't be a 5. .

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
They way to beat her [Boston] is to have bigs who can shoot from 3 ball land and get her away from the basket.
I don't think it's necessary for our "bigs" to shoot successfully from 3-pt land. Our offense very often puts our 4's and 5's at or slightly beyond the foul line. This past year, alas, neither Olivia nor Aaliyah were shooting threats from there, much as Stef Dolson was not a threat early in her Uconn career. But Stef did become a scoring threat from there (and beyond, it's true), which drew a defensive reaction from opponents' bigs. Stef became a scorer from there, and also drove effectively down the lane for layups when bigs saw her scoring threat. And it also opened the lane to cuts and passes from Stef. And gradually she became a better than average shooter from even deeper. She expanded her game, which Ono and Aaliyah did not.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's necessary for our "bigs" to shoot successfully from 3-pt land. Our offense very often puts our 4's and 5's at or slightly beyond the foul line. This past year, alas, neither Olivia nor Aaliyah were shooting threats from there, much as Stef Dolson was not a threat early in her Uconn career. But Stef did become a scoring threat from there (and beyond, it's true), which drew a defensive reaction from opponents' bigs. Stef became a scorer from there, and also drove effectively down the lane for layups when bigs saw her scoring threat. And it also opened the lane to cuts and passes from Stef. And gradually she became a better than average shooter from even deeper. She expanded her game, which Ono and Aaliyah did not.
Stef took opposing centers away from the basket which gave Stewie room to operate.

Reaction Score
Stef took opposing centers away from the basket which gave Stewie room to operate.
Everything is connected.

In the current form of the Huskies, if Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Lou hit from outside and on midrange jumpers, then Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna and Ice can have their way in the post. And all the while, Nika will be wreaking havoc on the opposing guards.

Reaction Score
Everything is connected.

In the current form of the Huskies, if Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Lou hit from outside and on midrange jumpers, then Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna and Ice can have their way in the post. And all the while, Nika will be wreaking havoc on the opposing guards.

I'm hoping Aubrey can get involved there somewhere. Assuming that she's finally healthy, I have confidence in her defense and rebounding, but I'd like to see more contributions on the offensive end.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The rebound margin for the first 5 minutes of this game was 9 to 0. UCONN did not collect its first rebound until the 4:20 mark of the first quarter (Evina Westbrook). At the end of the first quarter the rebound margin was 12 to 2 (7 Offensive rebounds for SC) . The rebounding margin for the first 15 minutes of this game was 18 to 3. (13 Offensive rebounds for SC) and SC lead by as many as 18 points. To your point UCONN was exhausted from having to defend SC on multiple possessions of the shot clock and was never able to catch up.

Coco, I’m beginning to think some foks don’t really understand or embrace the importance of rebounding. I’ll remind our Boneyard (BY) brethren once again what former Laker head coach Pat Riley said during the LA Lakers’ “showtime era” run of winning championships. He said: “no rebounds, no rings.”

Each rebound your opponent gets is another chance to score, and a possible chance that you don't. NO TEAM can continuously allow an opponent to out rebound them by a wide margin and expect or hope to win. :confused:

Same thing with free throws. You can’t send your opponent to the line 10-12 times more than they send you and except to win. Especially in close games. When you play teams like South Carolina (Aliyah Boston) or DePaul (Aneesah Morrow) that have rebounding machines on their roster, you’d better have a plan to neutralize them, or slow them down. ;)

Reaction Score
Coco, I’m beginning to think some foks don’t really understand or embrace the importance of rebounding. I’ll remind our Boneyard (BY) brethren once again what former Laker head coach Pat Riley said during the LA Lakers’ “showtime era” run of winning championships. He said: “no rebounds, no rings.”

Each rebound your opponent gets is another chance to score, and a possible chance that you don't. NO TEAM can continuously allow an opponent to out rebound them by a wide margin and expect or hope to win. :confused:

Same thing with free throws. You can’t send your opponent to the line 10-12 times more than they send you and except to win. Especially in close games. When you play teams like South Carolina (Aliyah Boston) or DePaul (Aneesah Morrow) that have rebounding machines on their roster, you’d better have a plan to neutralize them, or slow them down. ;)
Thank you Carnac.
You read my mind.
Simply put:
Additional rebounds=additional possessions=additional scoring opportunities=additional points.

Reaction Score

My speculation is that going into last summer Edwards knew that an all-B1G forward was coming and while she didn't plan on being a wing she wanted to develop perimeter skills. She just never had a chance to use them. Both ONO & Juhasz also liked to shoot outside and there aren't enough front court shots for all of them. Her midrange shot was good though. Her problem was that she hesitated and some of that was her deferring to the seniors. This year she and Dorka are the "men". No more deferring and hopefully no more hesitation.
Edwards needed to learn to shoot and defender outside but her home is still in the paint, setting screens and rolling. It's too bad that

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thank you Carnac.
You read my mind.
Simply put:
Additional rebounds=additional possessions=additional scoring opportunities=additional points.
Stymie, that's a real simple and basic equation anyone can understand. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
As much as I like USA BB I wish Brady was here for the entire strength and conditioning session.
I was thinking the same thing!!! Another thought about Brady. It's way too early to start trying to GUESS who Geno’s starting 5 will be that first regular-season game in November. What I was thinking about this morning was who will comprise Geno’s core unit, and how many players will be in it.

I can see a rotation unit of 8-9 players consisting of Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, Dorka Juhasz, Caroline Ducharme, Aaliyah Edwards, Aubrey Griffin, Nika Muhl and Lou Lopez-Senechal. That's 9 players. I can see Amari Dewberry, Isuneh (Ice) Brady, and Ayanna Patterson working their way into the rotation also. Brady and Patterson are unproven incoming freshmen who will have to learn the system and earn Geno’s trust. That could well happen once official practice begins in mid-October.

The core players are inter-changeable. Any of them are very capable of starting. Geno tells his players: “give me a reason to play you, or a reason to keep you on the bench.” None of us know right now today how fast our two freshmen will climate and assemilate into the fabric of the team.

It could be during the first three weeks of practice, of maybe not until after the holiday break. I’m betting one of them will make an impressive debut a la Crystal and Christyn early in their freshman year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom