Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.” | The Boneyard

Ice Brady on getting to Storrs "I’m just cheesing just thinking about it. I can’t wait.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

After UConn lost to South Carolina in the championship Auriemma sent Brady and Ayanna Patterson, the program’s other incoming freshman, a text message.
“What did you guys learn from that game that we just lost?” Brady recalled him asking.
The trio discussed things such as rebounding, physicality and toughness after a game in which the Huskies were outrebounded 49-24 and allowed 22 second-chance points.“Just like that, right there, he told me that he expects that from me coming in,” Brady told The Hartford Courant this week. “I’m just excited to get out there, prove myself and see what I can do.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will those BY posters that still believe "rebounding, physicality and toughness" were not the main reason UCONN lost the championship game please check in. Ice is going to be a good one for UCONN.

Reaction Score

After UConn lost to South Carolina in the championship Auriemma sent Brady and Ayanna Patterson, the program’s other incoming freshman, a text message.
“What did you guys learn from that game that we just lost?” Brady recalled him asking.
The trio discussed things such as rebounding, physicality and toughness after a game in which the Huskies were outrebounded 49-24 and allowed 22 second-chance points.“Just like that, right there, he told me that he expects that from me coming in,” Brady told The Hartford Courant this week. “I’m just excited to get out there, prove myself and see what I can do.”
Time to post the “beating a dead horse” meme- or is that just reserved for Board members?
How about one of from “the horses mouth”?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I had to look up Brady’s use of the word “cheesing” to clarify her meaning. Evidently “cheesing” is a modern slang word for smiling, as in somebody asking you to say “cheese” when they take your picture.

For awhile there I thought Ice was talking about toppings on a pizza …..,:rolleyes:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So I had to look up Brady’s use of the word “cheesing” to clarify her meaning. Evidently “cheesing” is a modern slang word for smiling, as in somebody asking you to say “cheese” when they take your picture.

For awhile there I thought Ice was talking about toppings on a pizza …..,:rolleyes:
Yeah, I wondered if it was a typo and the poster meant to tape tearing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Will those BY posters that still believe "rebounding, physicality and toughness" were not the main reason UCONN lost the championship game please check in. Ice is going to be a good one for UCONN.
I'll check in.

I think it had more to do with ONO, Juhasz, The Kid, Fudd, CFD all not being 100%. I would have liked to see them playing at or near 100% and see how the game played out before blaming anything else.

Granted, I realize at UCONN injuries, sickness, etc, are not an excuse, however they might be a reason.

Reaction Score
Brady will be our best post by the time the season is over. She can do a little of everything. Double doubles often. Boston won’t be able to bully her so easily because Ice is wide and big like Boston. Obviously Boston is Boston but at the very least, I think Ice can and will give her trouble with her big body and pulling her outside the paint. Ice isn’t in the infancy of being a post who can shoot, her shot is already steady unlike, say Edwards. Watching her play, I only expect her to struggle with the speed and her conditioning looks not ready at all. I attribute it to her being in high school and not having an elite program at her disposal yet. I think she has the mindset to get there by tourney time and be a problem.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll check in.

I think it had more to do with ONO, Juhasz, The Kid, Fudd, CFD all not being 100%. I would have liked to see them playing at or near 100% and see how the game played out before blaming anything else.

Granted, I realize at UCONN injuries, sickness, etc, are not an excuse, however they might be a reason.
I absolutely agree with your assessment. But I also think that Geno has already started coaching his two incoming freshmen before they ever arrive on campus by setting up his expectations for the coming season. You have to go a long way back to remember two stronger, more physically impressive frontcourt players arriving to UConn as freshmen at the same time.

There has been a lot of speculation on the BY as to whether Geno would tap into the portal for another Big, and why he ultimately didn’t. I think the answers to why he didn’t are “Ice” and “Ayanna.” :cool:

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with your assessment. But I also think that Geno has already started coaching his two incoming freshmen before they ever arrive on campus by setting up his expectations for the coming season. You have to go a long way back to remember two stronger, more physically impressive frontcourt players arriving to UConn as freshmen at the same time.

There has been a lot of speculation on the BY as to whether Geno would tap into the portal for another Big, and why he ultimately didn’t. I think the answers to why he didn’t are “Ice” and “Ayanna.” :cool:
Awfully big roll of the dice. I can only hope Geno has it right. As a fan you just have to believe in the staff

Reaction Score

It might be a regional thing that isn’t used everywhere. I grew up in Indiana, and it was a very normal word we used when I was a kid. And I’m not young …. we used it 40 years ago. It means smiling excessively and not able to hold it back.

Definitely a good thing she is cheesing it when thinking about being at UConn!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hadn’t noticed any BYers suggesting we weren’t out-rebounded or out-toughed. That was obvious just watching the game or reading a stat-line. But lots of folks wondered why that happened so decisively. As always, it’s a matter of distinguishing symptoms and causes.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I agree with both @CocoHusky and @meyers7 . We needed more rebounding and toughness, yes, but the fact that Juhasz was out, ONO injured and Griffins lost for the season suggests a problem of circumstance more than personnel.

But as far as “rebounding wins championships,” if that were true then Tennessee would have at least one more championship and we would have one fewer. It’s possible even, due to my vague memories, that Tennessee might be ahead of us right now in championships if “rebounding wins championships” was the rule.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Awfully big roll of the dice. I can only hope Geno has it right. As a fan you just have to believe in the staff
I don’t see it as a big roll of the dice at all. UConn has 2 of the top 5 rated players in the country, both of whom are physically gifted frontcourt players. Over the past 2 seasons, 5 UConn freshmen have started at various times for UConn and provided significant contributions. At the same time, I don’t think there were any frontcourt players in the portal that were true difference makers.

As I have said before, at some level Geno has to bet on the players he has recruited as well as the ability of his coaching staff to develop them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the reason Geno didn't dip into the portal for a big was at least partly because there was not an impact player like Cardoso available. Hopefully, the 2 frosh will make their impact. Ice is strong, takes up a lot of space, is a lefty, and has a nice shooting touch. She will be a nice complement to Ayanna, who rebounds above the rim.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hadn’t noticed any BYers suggesting we weren’t out-rebounded or out-toughed. That was obvious just watching the game or reading a stat-line. But lots of folks wondered why that happened so decisively. As always, it’s a matter of distinguishing symptoms and causes.
Precisely. It is a matter of ranking the causes/symptoms. A root cannot be theoretical is has to be based on what actually happened because the theoretically possibilities are literally endless. For example, you cannot say the root cause of that accident you were in was because the most experienced driver in the car was in the passenger seat and could/should have been driving. IMO the root cause for the SC domination was the rebounding differential. @Tonyc had put forth an equally good root cause in pointing to the FTA differential (26 for SC to 4 for UCONN). I would loved to have seen better shooting & better health on the part of UCONN but that wishful thinking and not very useful for determining root cause.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, I wondered if it was a typo and the poster meant to tape tearing.
Unintentionally funny posts:

I meant to say “I wondered if it was a typo in the poster meant to type cheering”

So, in a post in which I talk about me mistakingly thinking that the OP had a typo, I had two….

Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Reaction Score
You’re kidding me, right?
Pleassssse....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Ahaa. I knew immediately what it meant. ;) Also, I agree with you on why Geno did not tap into the portal for another big and if he did, did not settle for one he was not absolutely sure about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As pointed out in the article the first thing Brady will do as a UConn player is miss June assuming she makes final selection for the U18 team. I always feel ambivalent about such conflicts.
I understand your point. Last season you could make the argument that Aaliyah, Azzi & Amari’s development would have been better served had they spent all summer in Storrs working with Andrea Hudy and the coaching staff. It’s also worth noting that Nika declined to participate with the Croatian national team in order to spend all summer in Storrs, ultimately earning the Conference DPOY award.

On the other hand, Geno has been both the HC of the National Team and a longtime supporter of USA basketball. Under the circumstances, it would be hypocritical of him to discourage his current players from trying out for their respective national teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You’re kidding me, right?
Pleassssse.... but but but if CD
Here we go again. Bone Dog’s. comment is spot on. Yes, SC was an extremely strong rebounding team. But surely you can acknowledge that UConn would not have been outrebounded by 24 with a healthy Liv, Dorka and Aubrey in the lineup, let alone Evina & Azzi.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As pointed out in the article the first thing Brady will do as a UConn player is miss June assuming she makes final selection for the U18 team. I always feel ambivalent about such conflicts.
Has anyone seen a list of invited players for the U18 Trials at the end of the month? Besides Ice the only other player I've seen invited is Montaya Dew (Arizona commit). The USA basketball website says: Athletes will receive invitations to attend the trials by April 8. Ayanna Patterson is not eligible for this team and Joni Taylor will be the head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom