I think we vastly overrated Brimah coming into the season | The Boneyard

I think we vastly overrated Brimah coming into the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not very strong. Does not have a signature post move. Late on defensive rotations.

Hey, at least we can end the chatter of him leaving after this year.

Reaction Score
This team is 'new' with major components being swapped. The engine is still being tuned, and has a way to go.

Once they all know each other's tendencies I expect all the players to elevate their game. Much too early to predict Brimah's season and any other's for that matter. Lets wait until January.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for the guy who kept asking if he was going to have any 30 and 15 games...not really fair to the kid

Reaction Score
I'm looking for the guy who kept asking if he was going to have any 30 and 15 games...not really fair to the kid
No it's not and that's why another strong and skilled big is needed recruiting wise.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Brimah is playing how I expected. And still could leave after this year. Remember. To get drafted late in first round you need an NBA skill. Brimah can block shots. I can see a team like San Antonio taking him late and grooming him behind Duncan.

Reaction Score
watching the UK/PC game right now, and not landing Chukwu is stinging a little bit

Reaction Score
I think the OP is the one vastly overrating , nobody says he's nba bound this season. its after his junior year when he'll be 22

Reaction Score
Last year he caught the ball on the block, and traveled. This year he's catching it, making a move, and getting a reasonable shot up. Next year, he will make more, and probably add a new offensive wrinkle.

This is the natural progression for a guy who has only been coached for a few years. He'll get there.

Reaction Score
"we"? Not really, anyone who thought he wouldn't struggle, especially missing the chance to play all summer, was lost in fantasy land. He is going to be a good player but he's really way behind on the game itself. The things that are so important like positioning in each end, reading rebounds, working to spin around big guys blocking him out etc etc - none are there. He could very well be a 4 year guy and that's a good thing not a bad thing. Patience

Reaction Score
ibleedhuskyblue said:
Last year he caught the ball on the block, and traveled. This year he's catching it, making a move, and getting a reasonable shot up. Next year, he will make more, and probably add a new offensive wrinkle.

This is the natural progression for a guy who has only been coached for a few years. He'll get there.

Level headed analysis on the Boneyard? Who'd have thought?!

Reaction Score
Brimah is very good.There are 300 teams that would start him.

Brimah had a bad shooting day. . So did the team -again. Until Boat gets over 23% from three and Sam gets over 20%, and the team makes more than 24 of 83 treys, Brimah will face a packed in lane. One hand washes the other.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He's hardly the problem. He won them the Dayton game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I actually don't think he is a great shot blocker given that he sells out completely every single time (even on shots he has no chance getting a hand on) and forfeits rebounding position because of this.

He gets a lot of blocks because he contests a lot of shots as a 7' college center. His style as of today wouldn't translate in the NBA at all.

Luckily he's a good kid by all accounts who has time to work on his game.

Him, boat and Hamilton don't worry me at all going forward.

Reaction Score
I actually don't think he is a great shot blocker given that he sells out completely every single time (even on shots he has no chance getting a hand on) and forfeits rebounding position because of this.

He gets a lot of blocks because he contests a lot of shots as a 7' college center. His style as of today wouldn't translate in the NBA at all.

Luckily he's a good kid by all accounts who has time to work on his game.

Him, boat and Hamilton don't worry me at all going forward.

Ummm ... you're wrong. He is a very talented shotblocker; far better than average. He just is an infant in this game. He can get better.

Reaction Score
This team is 'new' with major components being swapped. The engine is still being tuned, and has a way to go.

Once they all know each other's tendencies I expect all the players to elevate their game. Much too early to predict Brimah's season and any other's for that matter. Lets wait until January.
Way too rational to be a BY post :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ummm ... you're wrong. He is a very talented shotblocker; far better than average. He just is an infant in this game. He can get better.

Great defense of your stance.

Hasheem and Emeka were great shot blockers because they understood how to contest shots and how to maintain their position.

I didn't say AB was a bad shot blocker by any means, but he has a lot of work to do. You admit as much yourself.

He's far from the problem on this team but like a volume scorer who averages 20 a game on a poor shooting percentage you can't judge the end result (his block totals) in a vacuum

Reaction Score
I think the OP is the one vastly overrating , nobody says he's nba bound this season. its after his junior year when he'll be 22
Actually if you were reading the boneyard before the season you would have seen the things people were expecting out of him

Reaction Score
"we"? Not really, anyone who thought he wouldn't struggle, especially missing the chance to play all summer, was lost in fantasy land. He is going to be a good player but he's really way behind on the game itself. The things that are so important like positioning in each end, reading rebounds, working to spin around big guys blocking him out etc etc - none are there. He could very well be a 4 year guy and that's a good thing not a bad thing. Patience
I'm mostly talking about the lottery pick Brimah predictions for this upcoming draft

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People always seem to discount the affect of surgery when projecting expected development. The guy didn't really have an off-season. Spent much of it rehabbing. The improvement is pretty good given the context.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Brimah doesn't have a single skill right now that would translate to the NBA - I think he'll be around for at least another year.

Not a great defensive player, not a threat on offense, indifferent to rebounds. Not playing during the offseason certainly didn't help.

Physically a freak - just hasn't translated. (Yet)

Reaction Score
Didn't understand why we kept going to him late in the game in the post, that's just playing to the Longhorns strengths. Also, Amida has become a black hole in the post, you throw it in there to him and it's never coming back out.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Its not just about blocking shots. It about changing trajectory of a shot for a miss, making guys pull up for a jumper rather than go for a layup, allowing teammates to try for steals and making guys rush shots. This is why Facey's job is to clean up the boards from missed shots. Shot blockers are often out of position.
And if you don't think an NBA GM can't picture Brimah as 15 minute a game backup while he gains strength you are just a little crazy. Almost all guys are drafted for what sort of player they will be in three years after tutoring and weight lifting. Brimah has the potential to be a dominant defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom