I need new golf clubs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I need new golf clubs

Reaction Score
Try to get fitted or at least have a launch monitor handy to know your numbers. I'm in the market for a new driver as the technology is changed enough to replace my 915D2 so I'm going to get fitted at Club Champion.

My Mizuno MP5's will stay in my bag for a long time. I love 'em but I don't play or practice enough to keep a 3 iron in the bag. Few amateurs have the swing speed to hit them consistently. I picked up a couple of Mizuno CLK hybrids (3 and 4) last year and I'm thinking about taking out the 3 hybrid and play an extra wedge this year.

Reaction Score
I want to get 1 more set so I want high quality. I know there are a million choices but my game would be 90-100 depending on course difficulty and tightness. Also need a new bag. Where is the best place to buy? Thinking driver, 3 and 5 wood, irons pitching wedge. Taylor made? Degree of loft? Material for shaft?
Not sure what the quality is like nowadays, but the best set of clubs I ever owned was a set of Ben Hogan irons and woods that l bought 45 years ago and still use on occasion to this day.

Reaction Score
I bought a set of Wilson D350's w/ steel shafts. Very forgiving club and reasonably priced. Got fitted for them and had some super aggressive grips put on because I dont care to wear a glove. So far so good.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why K Sigs weren't mentioned. Here's a video I came across yesterday. It's a bit long at 17 minutes but they do a Cut Blue vs. Srixon Z-Star XV. Shows how technology can pick up on all the characteristics of a golf ball. They do mention K Sig a few times in the video.

Good video. Guy hits his 6 iron 200-210. Just like me! I think I'll buy some Cut 4 piece balls in addition to the K Sigs I bought. Well made golf balls for under $25 a dozen is fantastic. And buying them online means I won't have to go to the PGA store to buy balls. It always seems I end up buying some hideous golf apparel from the 50% off rack that I bring home and the wife insists I return immediately. It's a vicious circle.

Reaction Score
I bought a set of Wilson D350's w/ steel shafts. Very forgiving club and reasonably priced. Got fitted for them and had some super aggressive grips put on because I dont care to wear a glove. So far so good.
"I dont care to wear a glove"
You, me and Fred Couples.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just picked up 4 dozen of the Kirkland Signature balls. I'm a frequent Costco visitor and had never come across them at my store. Lo and behold there they were right at the entrance. They came 2 dozen to a pack for $24. There was a two pack limit. So, I bought a two pack took them to my car and went back and bought two more. I have never heard of cut blue but they performed well on the test. I'll have to pick some up. I wonder why the Kirkland ball didn't get tested.

Here you go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"I dont care to wear a glove"
You, me and Fred Couples.

I'm done having kids so I wear two gloves.

Over the winter I decided to keep gloves on while putting. I can have a tendency to death grip the blade and the gloves seemed to give me the feel of a sturdier grip.

I have no idea if I'll be able to keep it up during spring and summer with the higher temps.

Reaction Score
As to driver fitting - I must have hit 7 different drivers when I got fitted about a month ago. Went to Golf Galaxy - tried a whole bunch of head/shaft combinations. Ended up with the Callaway Epic Flash - for my swing it reduced the spin. And the head/shaft combination they didn't have in the store to buy so they ordered it and adjusted it for me when it came in. Good experience.
Just bought new driver and a couple hybrids - much better experience at golf galaxy than golfer' s warehouse. Maybe it is being female - golf galaxy had better selection and better service. They fitted the clubs to me and my swing, no extra charge - definately improved my game.

Reaction Score
I'm done having kids so I wear two gloves.

Over the winter I decided to keep gloves on while putting. I can have a tendency to death grip the blade and the gloves seemed to give me the feel of a sturdier grip.

I have no idea if I'll be able to keep it up during spring and summer with the higher temps.
Meh, I always leave it on. Too tight to take on and off.

Reaction Score
That is true...but the free fittings at Chris Cote and Golf Galaxy to me are not as good because one most the fitters don't know what they are talking about they fit based off numbers rather than swing type. I would rather pay for the fitting from Greenwich golf or downtown golf get the have the specs and look on ebay or through the company directly.

I'm not really sure where to start with how inaccurate of a post this is.

I used to work in the golf industry, went to college for golf, and have played competitively. In no way, shape, or form are you fitted by your "swing type." I've never heard this before in my life and I'm not sure I will again. An ideal fitting would be on a trackman launch monitor with a couple different drivers/shafts/head combinations and see what gives the best launch/spin combination. From there, they are going to tinker around with the driver head and shaft that is optimal to YOU. Not a type of swing.

Iron fittings are simpler, really. Find an iron that you like, get on with the Mizuno shaft optimizer and find out what shaft/stiffness/weight is ideal for you based on the specs its reading. They will then give you the same club with the different shaft offerings, look at the numbers again on a trackman, and make a suggestion.

I could go on with this post but that's the basics to a great fitting. "swing type" has nothing to do with a fitting.

Reaction Score
If you guys want a great ball at a reasonable price. Take a look at Snell Golf. They are located just over the border and I won't play anything else at this point.

Reaction Score
If you have been playing for years and still play that poorly maybe think about a tennis racket!

Reaction Score
I want to get 1 more set so I want high quality. I know there are a million choices but my game would be 90-100 depending on course difficulty and tightness. Also need a new bag. Where is the best place to buy? Thinking driver, 3 and 5 wood, irons pitching wedge. Taylor made? Degree of loft? Material for shaft?
The absolute best value in a cart bag is the one offered by MG Golf. I know five folks who have used them for years. The latest model has many useful features. MG Golf Discount Cart Bags
As for clubs, I’m a 16 handicapper, 70 years young, but the power is just not what it used to be so I switched from my Ping irons to hybrids last year and I am much more consistent (8, 7, 6 iDrive hybrids available from eBay, and Adams Super S hybrids #s 5, 4, 3, 2 (replaces 5 wood). I also love my Callaway Epic 3 wood, and Ping G 400 driver with senior shafts. I keep a 9 iron and wedges for chipping and pitching. I highly recommend getting fitted for a driver, if nothing else. Have fun.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a long-time 90-100 golfer, I'd consider replacing the 3-iron with a hybrid (~19 degree loft), or if you're a better ball striker than your handicap suggests, a driving iron, which should have a tiny bit more accuracy.

Even ten years ago my Taylor Made irons came with a pitching wedge and approach wedge (you add your own sand wedge) and irons only up to 5. My 3 and 4 are hybrids. Only mistake I made with that set was not anticipating that I’d get old and spending the extra on graphite shafts.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I used to think boarders and skiers owned the market on 'equipment chat.' then I started to goff more. newsflash me, I was soooo wrong. duffers rule. after hearing the umpteenth convo aboot 'this year will be different cuz I just bought the Acme 9000 hybrid fairway putter with the personalized 57 1/2 degree radar controlled loft analyzer,' I knew I entered the twilight zone of loopy talk. newsflash you, me, and just aboot everyone else (equality!) we suck. I once heard that something like only 10% of hackers honestly break 100 (proally 99% when not playing their 'home' course-- 'bbut on my course, there are no hills, sand, water, trees, wind, etc.'). the good Lord invented alcohol and drugs as coping aids for listening to that noise. however, as a fellow looper (loopier?) I will say that there is only one ball--Pro V's. even with those, we'll still hit the cart path. the only 'scratch' to be had on the links is when a mosquito bites you. pay attention, since I always shoot in the 70's. if it's colder, I ain't playing. jack, tiger, and annika can shred us with a tree branch and a lump of coal. ahh goff, we stunk yesterday, we stink today, but we'll be back tomorrow, cuz, you know, this time it will be different! lol.
(edit: I received no compensation from the Acme corporation for promoting their product, but the Pro V folks sent a box of pencils with extra large erasers for the mention...)

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not really sure where to start with how inaccurate of a post this is.

I used to work in the golf industry, went to college for golf, and have played competitively. In no way, shape, or form are you fitted by your "swing type." I've never heard this before in my life and I'm not sure I will again. An ideal fitting would be on a trackman launch monitor with a couple different drivers/shafts/head combinations and see what gives the best launch/spin combination. From there, they are going to tinker around with the driver head and shaft that is optimal to YOU. Not a type of swing.

Iron fittings are simpler, really. Find an iron that you like, get on with the Mizuno shaft optimizer and find out what shaft/stiffness/weight is ideal for you based on the specs its reading. They will then give you the same club with the different shaft offerings, look at the numbers again on a trackman, and make a suggestion.

I could go on with this post but that's the basics to a great fitting. "swing type" has nothing to do with a fitting.

Yep. And when I went in for a comprehensive fitting the guy said: don't waste your money, your swing isn't consistent enough. So we did a lower level fitting and I picked out the Taylor Made irons I have today.

With drivers I hit a bunch for free at Golfsmith (now closed sadly). Same with putter. I bought a new driver late last season, Srixon without ever hitting it. Adjustability reduces some of the risk. I did look at the shaft most closely to fit what I wanted.

I think the approach is entirely different for a better golfer. But if your swing sucks, and you get a fitting based on that...is that helpful? Maybe get used clubs and lessons.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me what a "custom fitting" entails? Is this just testing different trajectories of different irons in the simulator or actually changing the lie of the face of the club?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me what a "custom fitting" entails? Is this just testing different trajectories of different irons in the simulator or actually changing the lie of the face of the club?

Both. Depends on where you get it done.

Reaction Score
Both. Depends on where you get it done.
Do you have examples of which places do what? I live in NYC but can easily get to the Milford area which is where my clubs are. So Golf Galaxy is the closest place for me but could be willing to go to golfers warehouse or Chris Cote if it's really worth it.

I'm in the market for new irons, but am also considering geting my old ones re-fitted since I believe the alignment is a little off.

Reaction Score
Try to get fitted or at least have a launch monitor handy to know your numbers. I'm in the market for a new driver as the technology is changed enough to replace my 915D2 so I'm going to get fitted at Club Champion.

My Mizuno MP5's will stay in my bag for a long time. I love 'em but I don't play or practice enough to keep a 3 iron in the bag. Few amateurs have the swing speed to hit them consistently. I picked up a couple of Mizuno CLK hybrids (3 and 4) last year and I'm thinking about taking out the 3 hybrid and play an extra wedge this year.
I still have a 3 iron because it is the right club for me on 2 par 3's at my course. At some point I'm going to go with a hybred because that is probably a better choice. I don't hit the 3 iron off the fairway but will occasionly use it in the ruff if I have a fluffy lie. Usually when I pull it out of the bag it is a mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom