I need new golf clubs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I need new golf clubs

Reaction Score
I still have a 3 iron because it is the right club for me on 2 par 3's at my course. At some point I'm going to go with a hybred because that is probably a better choice. I don't hit the 3 iron off the fairway but will occasionly use it in the ruff if I have a fluffy lie. Usually when I pull it out of the bag it is a mistake.

I kept the 4 iron until I realized the 60 degree is a winner from 75 in for me, but 3 iron has been gone for years. It was as you say, usually a mistake but on occasion a stinger worked for a tee shot or a long par 4, short par 5 off the fairway. Get the hybrids, they are wonderful.

Reaction Score
Do you have examples of which places do what? I live in NYC but can easily get to the Milford area which is where my clubs are. So Golf Galaxy is the closest place for me but could be willing to go to golfers warehouse or Chris Cote if it's really worth it.

I'm in the market for new irons, but am also considering geting my old ones re-fitted since I believe the alignment is a little off.

Greenwich Golf is where I go Jacques is a great fitter. Absolutely worth the price if you don't buy if you do your amount is put towards the set.

We're all individuals. - Greenwich Golf Fitting Studio

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I still have a 3 iron because it is the right club for me on 2 par 3's at my course. At some point I'm going to go with a hybred because that is probably a better choice. I don't hit the 3 iron off the fairway but will occasionly use it in the ruff if I have a fluffy lie. Usually when I pull it out of the bag it is a mistake.

Hybrids are much easier to hit out of the rough. Shape goes through the grass with less resistance.

Reaction Score
Do you have examples of which places do what? I live in NYC but can easily get to the Milford area which is where my clubs are. So Golf Galaxy is the closest place for me but could be willing to go to golfers warehouse or Chris Cote if it's really worth it.

I'm in the market for new irons, but am also considering geting my old ones re-fitted since I believe the alignment is a little off.

May want to check out Club Champion. Two in NYC, one near NYU, other is in FIDI/Stone St. The facility has club fitters, a dozen or so simulators and a full service bar. In other words, its the best place on earth.

Went in for a putter fitting at lunch and ended up ordering a custom built putter. The fitting was thorough, showed me some things about my putting stroke that I never realized was happening, but it is expensive.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

If you can afford it go to Club Champions in the city. I get my clubs fit through GolfTec since I take lessons there.

Reaction Score
I just ditched my 50 degree A wedge for an M2 fairway 3-wood.

I have a hangup hitting my 3 hybrid with the smaller head off of a tee.

Probably a non mover off of my 22 handicap.

Reaction Score
I'm reading these "fitting" suggestions and I may just try it next time I go new on irons and even driver etc..For an ex-baseball player who just wanted to be decent at golf, inconsistent if necessary I pretty much am what I want to without lessons, fitting and really just buying off the rack or EBay. Is there things in my game I'd like to improve? Hell yeah I'm a low ball hitter until I get to the wedges for whatever reason so hitting over corners etc are rarely an option for me. I'd love to hit the driver, hybrids and mid irons higher but there's also people I play with who wish they had my trajectory especially in the wind which doesn't bother me all that much. I buy good stuff, EBays great when a "brand new" driver or hybrid is now 2 years out from a manufacturer and is down 40%, time to try them. I just bought the M3 on Ebay for a crazy number brand new wrapped and I wouldn't have bought it for 400 or more 2 years ago. Just be patient and wait for Taylor or your favorite to make the next generation and jump on the last one. I had the M2 but the M3 Twist face straighter and a little longer. Back to the fitting, interesting theories may have to try. But reality of my game is when I'm "swinging it good" I play well and I can tell early in a round. When I'm swinging "weird" it doesn't matter what the clubs fit are because the face of the club doesn't see much ball LOL.

Reaction Score
If you go to get fitted, try out Mizuno JPX’s. If you like them I have a set of 850s that has been used for 2 rounds and 2 range sessions that I’ve been meaning to sell but haven’t out of pure laziness. Would part with them cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else.
Just to correct this post, the clubs are the jpx 850 forged.

Reaction Score
Just to correct this post, the clubs are the jpx 850 forged.

I was a Taylor Made guy all of my life of golf minus the early years of not caring. But for the last 30-35 years Taylor. Burners of all kinds, R7's, R9's etc etc but a couple years ago hitting a few at Cote's and the Mizuno JPX-EZ's felt special. Only thing was loss of length, half to full on some. But most know that Taylor bends the rules just a bit on degrees for distance marketing reasons. I have the Mizuno's now and have never been as consistent with where I want to hit and the just the sweet spot itself. Used to hit 7 about 165-175 now I'm 155-160 but where I want to hit it more often. Always hear about Mizuno irons and now I'm a believer. Recently grabbed some Aeroburners to play and try as I wanted to get distance back, no way the feel and the thickness of the look was way off from the JPX's. I do stay with TM on woods and hybrids though love them and putter is a center shafter TM Ardmore red. May end up trying the M5 or M6 irons as they look real nice but thats a year or 2 away LOL

Reaction Score
I was a Taylor Made guy all of my life of golf minus the early years of not caring. But for the last 30-35 years Taylor. Burners of all kinds, R7's, R9's etc etc but a couple years ago hitting a few at Cote's and the Mizuno JPX-EZ's felt special. Only thing was loss of length, half to full on some. But most know that Taylor bends the rules just a bit on degrees for distance marketing reasons. I have the Mizuno's now and have never been as consistent with where I want to hit and the just the sweet spot itself. Used to hit 7 about 165-175 now I'm 155-160 but where I want to hit it more often. Always hear about Mizuno irons and now I'm a believer. Recently grabbed some Aeroburners to play and try as I wanted to get distance back, no way the feel and the thickness of the look was way off from the JPX's. I do stay with TM on woods and hybrids though love them and putter is a center shafter TM Ardmore red. May end up trying the M5 or M6 irons as they look real nice but thats a year or 2 away LOL
I just try not to have gaps in distances. Just need to have a set that covers all from 80-180. Less than 80 is a partial something. More than 180 is potentially a lay up now. In the fairway with no trouble, no worries... rough and/or carrying water... another layup. When you play infrequently (once-twice/month), you need to have full shots for almost everything.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's springtime, the start of yardsale season. skip the home depot trip, and hit one of those. you'll proally find a bag of billy barools for peanuts, formerly owned by the st. andrews club champion. go to the range, work thru the bag. lie to yourself, keep the dead, solid, perfect ones. use the others for tomato stakes, and the bag for a landscape tie. the pink and orange balls you found in big pocket? thro 'em in the ocean to prevent your mates from laughing even harder at your game. time well spent. goff, the dumbest sport on earth--we luv it.

Reaction Score
I just try not to have gaps in distances. Just need to have a set that covers all from 80-180. Less than 80 is a partial something. More than 180 is potentially a lay up now. In the fairway with no trouble, no worries... rough and/or carrying water... another layup. When you play infrequently (once-twice/month), you need to have full shots for almost everything.

Yeah agree 68. when I'm at the 180-200 point on a long 4 or 5 I have to feel really good to hit my 3 or 4 hybrid or I lay up. I was so inconsistent with my 4 wood I yanked it out of the bag and started the 19,22,25 hybrid deal. No woods other than driver occasionally can get home on short par 5's when tee game is good but at the same time feel like my wedge game is good enough to have a birdie putt most every time. You kjnow we have to adjust to our age unfortunately! LOL.....hit'em good 68!

Reaction Score
Yeah agree 68. when I'm at the 180-200 point on a long 4 or 5 I have to feel really good to hit my 3 or 4 hybrid or I lay up. I was so inconsistent with my 4 wood I yanked it out of the bag and started the 19,22,25 hybrid deal. No woods other than driver occasionally can get home on short par 5's when tee game is good but at the same time feel like my wedge game is good enough to have a birdie putt most every time. You kjnow we have to adjust to our age unfortunately! LOL.....hit'em good 68!
Anxious to see if my new hip works...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
A huge variable on the stopping power of wedges on greens is the ball you play. Spin rates on short shots vary way more than spin rates off the tee. Pretty much every ball is low spin off the tee now. Very little consumer demand for a higher spin ball on tee shots to work the ball left or right. Most golfers lack that skill and end up with hooks and slices. Long and straight is the mantra off the tee.

Urethane covered balls get real grippy on the face of a wedge and spin much higher than surlyn covered balls. Compression doesn't matter as much on the short shots. Unfortunately the urethane covered balls are at the high end of the price range for golf balls.

I played the Titleist NXT Tour for a few years until Titleist discontinued it. I recently tried a direct to consumer company, Cut Golf and their 4-piece Blue. It played real nice across my clubs- drivers, irons, around the green and putting. $24/dz including shipping. Vice and Snell golf make direct to consumer balls but are a bit pricier. The Kirkland Signature, aka K-Sig, has a big following too.

EDIT:

Here's a spin rate graph to show how balls performed on a 50-yard pitch test from Golf Digest.

Spin the wheel: Hot List ball spin chart shows how short shots separate price categories - Golf Digest

View attachment 40910
looks more like a results chart for where the ball ends up on that 30 inch 'gimme' putt, where the cup is the 28 black box, with a 'slight' bends right location. amateurs always miss on the low side. always. start practicing some new 'lies.'

Reaction Score
I just want a swing that is esthetically nice and iron play with “suck back”. Is that asking too much? Oh and I forgot, I have to beat my sisterinlaw’s son who thinks he’s the aces.

Reaction Score
Off to play some Friday morning golf.
20190322_081356_resized.jpg

Reaction Score
If you can afford it go to Club Champions in the city. I get my clubs fit through GolfTec since I take lessons there.
I dont think this sounds like its in my budget haha

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Teeing off in a few minutes.

About 50 degrees right now, should be 70 by 6th-7th hole. Not a cloud to be seen.

IMG_20190323_064734487~2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom