I love KO but…. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I love KO but….

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well what is missing is the fire. KO has no fire this year as he seems to be so subdued on the bench unlike last year when things went bad he would get in players and refs faces. I'm still thinking his personal life coupled with such a young team is making it very hard for KO to deal with them this year.
Sometimes fire is beneficial and sometimes it destroys. There are so many flaws with this team it's hard to determine what to do to get the best out of them. You can push people only so far before they break and some people break easier than others. I'm planning on being patient. This is a transition period for the team. The sanctions and coaching change are still in play and will be in play for another year or two. After that we can get a better assessment of how much the flaws are related to the coaches imo.

Reaction Score
Oh I haven't read this same exact OP since hmmmm last game.
At the half of every game I will be posting a thread with every now-cliche topic in the OP so everyone who simply cannot resist the urge to cry to their keyboard and computer screen can be directed there.

Reaction Score
Watching some of the videos that tcf and them post of old UConn teams I stand by the position that this team would get run off the court by decent UConn teams of days past. There's definitely a talent gap. I shudder to think where this team would be at in the ACC. Probably battling it out with Virginia Tech and BCU. At the same time though, I don't agree with the idea that the "effort is always there" that some people keep raising.

With all due respect to our stream of Memphis visitors, Memphis is trash. They're not a good team. And yet again UConn finds a way to make them look like the damn Spurs. Wide open jump-shots, wide open layups, put-backs, Amida getting duck____ dominated in the post on simple moves, guys (looking at you Kentan) playing matador defense on fast break dunks, like we're Carolina and we'll get it back on the other end except, oops, we can't score. Guys out of position on rotations.

The ability of a team to defend is not about skill. A team of bricklayers can defend, and yet these guys continue to make it easy on teams. I have no doubt that Ollie knows how to coach defense, we've seen it. What I do question is where these guys are at mentally - they just do not seem engaged at all. And one bad possession begets another one and another one and another one. They're going to lose to good teams, because they're just not very good. This losing to bad teams, though . . .

I hope Boatright gets a long standing O on March 3. He deserves it, and then some.

Reaction Score
Doris Burke may not be a great basketball mind but she said something last night that is probably true. UConn players are a year away from being very good. Brimah's surgery and our youth may be our biggest problem. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the key to beating UConn is doubling Boat. The rest of the team isn't consistent enough to beat you on most nights at least not this year.

Reaction Score
Doris Burke may not be a great basketball mind but she said something last night that is probably true. UConn players are a year away from being very good. Brimah's surgery and our youth may be our biggest problem. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the key to beating UConn is doubling Boat. The rest of the team isn't consistent enough to beat you on most nights at least not this year.

I hope she's right Danzz. The problem is I don't see it. I see guys who may never be anything more than what they are. As a UConn fan we enjoyed soph's who were growing into heir own and as their 2nd year (for the higher ranked kids sometimes their first year) became 20-25 games they were showing signs of stardom. I'm afraid I'm seeing signs of the same from game 1 and on some, less!

Hope everyone is right, I'm very nervous this year may be our best for a couple or 3.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are thre things to consider imho.

1. This is primarily a talent issue. These guys lack certain skill sets that no amount of coaching can teach.

2. The pro set offenses that KO prefers are not compatible with college level players, ie, if you can't dribble or shoot at a high level, than you can succeed playing an isolation style game.

3. All eyes are on Boat and there are always two to three non factors on the court with him. Can't run an offense under those conditons.

Reaction Score
huskiesnyc said:
Who recruited?

We had 10 scholarships 4 years ago - docked 3 (which means no chances on a Giffey type who would be a senior now)
We were going on probation 3 years ago
We had a sudden coaching change and Ollie on an interim contract 2 years ago
Our conference situation unraveled 1 year ago (less of an excuse than the top 3)

In other words, the guys recruiting were handcuffed for an entire four-year recruiting cycle.

Reaction Score
We had 10 scholarships 4 years ago - docked 3 (which means no chances on a Giffey type who would be a senior now)
Our conference situation unraveled 1 year ago (less of an excuse than the top 3)

In other words, the guys recruiting were handcuffed for an entire four-year recruiting cycle.
And despite that we were in the mix for some top players and were edged out. Overall our recruiters have worked hard and done a good job but our conference affiliation has been a killer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I wish he would take a little more responsibility for some of these deplorable losses, and reevaluate his coaching staff. Enough of this family coaching staff crap, we need guys that can recruit, evaluate talent and not just collect a paycheck on the end of the bench. Memphis is bad. We have lost at least 10 games this season on brain dead plays to teams we should beat every time. Obviously we are young, but I think the effort is there most of the time, so I'm tired of blaming guys like RP. Poor coaching is why we can't get over the hump, and that's on KO and his assistants to turn it around. Which we can!
his "poor coaching" was fine last year... his coaching is good, it's the execution and and effort... like I've been saying the guys on this team haven't been able to learn and develop like bazz, boat, giff and daniels were able to do over 3-4 years... especially in the pick and pop game/pick and roll game... defensively we have a lot of mental lapses and lazy plays... offensively our team has no confidence other than boat and hamilton, everyone else wants to pass. this is especially hard when every team puts 2-3 guys on boat

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Just my opinion.... being brutally honest

Honestly, I think the divorce is a significant distraction.

I also expected Purvis and Cassell to be much better than they are... I cannot believe there is discussion about RP getting drafted.... just my opinion.

And lastly.... I am really ducking sick and tired of guards... hell anybody for that matter in a UCONN uniform not making 7 out 10 free throws.

Anyone that cannot make 7 out 10 free throws is not a basketball player.

I've had 3 strokes (October 9th)and I'm still 20 lbs overweight, 54 years old, walk like I'm drunk and have lost 25% of the light coming into my eyes.... which means I am legally blind.... I still go to physical therapy for my gait, balance and fine motor skills in my left hand ( fortunately I'm right handed) .... and I can still make 7 out of 10 free throws. I know... I did it last weekend... 14 out of 20.

Divorce sux... stroke sux.... missing free throws sux.... the squid sux.... God is good

Reaction Score
He's gotten fired up multiple times during most games at the start but it has made no difference. There's no point in continuing to do it if the players aren't responding to it.
I'm still not sold on KO as the coach going forward. He won with upper class of players that JC recruited. He did a great job of getting them to the promise land. Is he the guy to keep them there? His recruiting has been a little worst than JC and it doesn't seem to be improving. This years team with a lot of his players seems badly built to compete. I'm going to wait and see what next year turns out to be but if it is the same as this year with little or no improvement from the team I'm worried going forward.

Love KO as a person but I think the book is still open on whether he will be a great coach to lead us back to the promise land year in and year out. Just my opinion. I hope I'm eating my words next year. I'm also think the divorce has been a huge distraction this year to KO. So I'm willing to wait to how next year turns out.

Last edited:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
QUOTE="huskiesnyc, post: 1232275, member: 710"]I know where you're coming from Mau and you are one of my favorite posters without question. But sorry I just can't accept that this team isn't better than 7-6 in this disgraceful AAC with 3 future NBA players in Boat, Dham and Brimah. The coaching has sucked and you can't convince me otherwise.[/QUOTE]

The Key word is future. Brimah would be 12th man project at his current stage of development.. Ditto DHam. Boat might see NBA playing time.

Reaction Score
Ok, there seems to be general agreement that this team sucks. Some are concerned about the coaching and some say it was due to the impacts from the APR and Miles fiascos. It is true that you can't win with uncoachable players. Maybe that is what we have because of the APR and Miles fiascos. What is most troubling to me is that this staff is still struggling to recruit. That makes this situation more than a 1 year anomaly. I don't buy the conference excuse. SMU and Memphis have done fine and many teams in non P5 conferences are doing fine. It doesn't help but this staff should still be landing more than they are. Jalen Adams probably isn't going to be an instant star. He is good, and so is Hamilton, but to stay on top we need more and this staff is getting their collective a $$ es kicked on the recruiting front. That is what is most concerning. Ollie can coach a team to the top but can he recruit a team capable of getting there.

Reaction Score

I also expected Purvis and Cassell to be much better than they are... I cannot believe there is discussion about RP getting drafted.... just my opinion.

And lastly.... I am really ing sick and tired of guards... hell anybody for that matter in a UCONN uniform not making 7 out 10 free throws.

I've had 3 strokes (October 9th)and I'm still 20 lbs overweight, 54 years old, walk like I'm drunk and have lost 25% of the light coming into my eyes.... which means I am legally blind.... I still go to physical therapy for my gait, balance and fine motor skills in my left hand ( fortunately I'm right handed) .... and I can still make 7 out of 10 free throws. I know... I did it last weekend... 14 out of 20.

Divorce sux... stroke sux.... missing free throws sux.... the squid sux.... God is good
Keep working Citrusdog, good luck on your recovery.

Reaction Score
What is most troubling to me is that this staff is still struggling to recruit.
Each class has been better than the one before it. Next year's team will have more 4/5-star players than last year's team.

Our recruiting could be better, and losing Prince Ali was a painful, painful lesson. But let's not overstate things, since the trend is clearly upwards.

Reaction Score
Each class has been better than the one before it. Next year's team will have more 4/5-star players than last year's team.

Our recruiting could be better, and losing Prince Ali was a painful, painful lesson. But let's not overstate things, since the trend is clearly upwards.

Recruiting is a disaster. Don't sugarcoat it. They're not losing guys to Duke and Carolina, or even Louisville, they're losing them to mid-majors.

I don't think it's Ollie's fault, and I don't have any concerns about him going forward, but don't pretend that there are reasons to feel sanguine about recruiting.

Reaction Score
Keep working Citrusdog, good luck on your recovery.
Thank you!!

Stroke is a horrible thing... much worse than I ever knew... The outcomes are almost unimaginable (everyone loses many freedoms). I'm trying to gather capital to start a stroke clinic down here in Florida... to help those less fortunate... I'm learning all about stroke the hard way... but I'm determined to kick its butt!

Please.... every person over the ago of 40....

YOU need to be taking a 325 mg Aspirin to thin your blood... do NOT take that dumb 81 mg aspirin...better than nothing... but still basically a joke. That (really) is only a compliment to other medications such Plavix for example. Plavix (essentially) prevents red blood cells from becoming sticky (thrombosis). Note: Too much aspirin will work in reverse... so more is not better... but 325 is where the adult man/women should be.

This will reduce your chance of forming bigger and more dangerous clots (thrombosis/embolisms).

Thrombosis - forms on location - usually resulting from plaque
Embolism - is a clot that has been cast from some other place due to blood stasis (blood puddling) legs or heart... or heart turbulence... atrial fib causes clots too - so does cancer... then up the aorta and you are screwed..

My 19 year old son (4th degree black belt and built like a world class gymnast) takes one every morning (with food) - due to the likeliness he has a PFO situation in his heart.

Unfortunately, stroke does not discriminate. My brother had one at 19. Babies have them. A stroke to the brain stem (autonomic functions) will probably kill you. Example: you can forget how and when to breathe (medulla oblongata)... you flop around until you suffocate in 2-5 minutes... unless they get you hooked to a ventilator rather quickly.

Mark my words... eventually everyone will be taking blood thinners... like vitamins. Think of your blood as engine oil.

--------------

Please read..

Identifying Stroke...

Remember this... F A S T

Face - one side may begin to droop
Arms - hands and arms are not responding very well
Speech - usually slurred or interrupted speech
Time - stroke outcomes are influenced by time. In my case the TPA clot busting drug saved my life and reduced the negative outcome. Outcomes are directly related to the time it takes before you get help. In my case... I had my 3 - in a building across from a hospital... lucky me!

The TPA drug is not a save-all. Turns blood into vinegar (clot buster)

There are 2 different types of stroke
1) ischemic - true blockage
2) hemorrhagic - brain bleed (so TPA is given cautiously when this occurs)

Both interrupt oxygen and nutrition from being taken down stream. Your brain tissue does do well without these after about 5 minutes. Dead brain tissue (an infarction) is not fixable in any way - its gone forever. Your body will try and recruit an area near the infarction to take over duty. Now comes PT (neuroplasticity) ...retraining

A quick CT scan shows black areas/spots in the brain (dead tissue/an infarction) - gone for good

Fyi... many do not realize the following can 'CAUSE" a stroke:

1) Chiropractors (do NOT let them near your neck - trust me!) I know many who have had this happen and have walked out of the office only to begin to realize something is some thing very wrong.....(remember the brain stem is at the top of the spine and just inside the skull.
2) Cocaine and other street drugs
3) Diabetes (talk to your PCP about the relationship)

Not trying to piss anyone off - just offering up some help. Proverbs 3:27..... I don't even wish this on John Calipari...

Reaction Score
You have your opinion and I respect that. My point is even with a high scoring output for Brimah like tonight he made so many bad decisions on the other end he's not impacting the game like he should. And besides Boat and now DHam, there's isn't anyone out there you can ever trust to make a good decision, it's constant cringing. You can't coach guys who can't go out and make smart play, can't!

You lost me there, you can't coach guys to play smarter basketball? That's the definition of a coaches job to help them improve on and we are getting worse. I look at SMU and I think wow that's a well coached team. Look at us and it's absolute chaos. Blaming just the players and not the staff is ridiculous. I really believe the kids are trying their best and I'm sick of singling out players who are competing, but God forbid we aren't allowed to evaluate KO's performance this year. We have the talent to be really good next year if everyone is 10 toes in---including the coaches.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I know where you're coming from Mau and you are one of my favorite posters without question. But sorry I just can't accept that this team isn't better than 7-6 in this disgraceful AAC with 3 future NBA players in Boat, Dham and Brimah. The coaching has sucked and you can't convince me otherwise.
I don't buy that Brimah is a future NBA player just yet. He's a poor man's Fab Melo, just smarter.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This has been pointed out on this board on more than a few occasions. We'll do it one more time in case you missed it.

I'm still not sold on KO as the coach going forward. He won with upper class of players that JC recruited. He did a great job of getting them to the promise land. Is he the guy to keep them there? His recruiting has been a little worst than JC and it doesn't seem to be improving. This years team with a lot of his players seems badly built to compete. I'm going to wait and see what next year turns out to be but if it is the same as this year with little or no improvement from the team I'm worried going forward.

Love KO as a person but I think the book is still open on whether he will be a great coach to lead us back to the promise land year in and year out. Just my opinion. I hope I'm eating my words next year. I'm also think the divorce has been a huge distraction this year to KO. So I'm willing to wait to how next year turns out.

This is not entirely true. Ollie was the primary recruiter on at least Daniels and Samuel as an assistant coach and was in on Hamilton early, Calhoun may have signed the card, but Ollie bought the gift, wrapped it, tied the bow, and wrote the greeting.

The truth is expectations (including mine) were too high as it was for a team that lost 65% of their scoring, 75% of their rebounding, and a Wooden Award runner-up.

Reaction Score
I hope she's right Danzz. The problem is I don't see it. I see guys who may never be anything more than what they are. As a UConn fan we enjoyed soph's who were growing into heir own and as their 2nd year (for the higher ranked kids sometimes their first year) became 20-25 games they were showing signs of stardom. I'm afraid I'm seeing signs of the same from game 1 and on some, less!

Hope everyone is right, I'm very nervous this year may be our best for a couple or 3.
Yeah Mau. Its mid February and if we played Yale and Texas again I'm not confident the result would be different, or at least higher production. This time of season usually gives a fan a perspective on the following season, as improvements, chemistry and other future factors can be seen. We are still making 'December' turnovers and mistakes.

Posters can spin the other players all they want but right now only DHam shows readiness for the big jump on this squad for next year. Of course that alone won't be enough. We are coming into March and that is starting to alarm me. So perhaps it is a year or two more of fan endurance and longer without better recruits. Unfortunately seatbelts are now required.

Reaction Score
This has been pointed out on this board on more than a few occasions. We'll do it one more time in case you missed it.

This is not entirely true. Ollie was the primary recruiter on at least Daniels and Samuel as an assistant coach and was in on Hamilton early, Calhoun may have signed the card, but Ollie bought the gift, wrapped it, tied the bow, and wrote the greeting.

The truth is expectations (including mine) were too high as it was for a team that lost 65% of their scoring, 75% of their rebounding, and a Wooden Award runner-up.

Great point !

Reaction Score

And lastly.... I am really ing sick and tired of guards... hell anybody for that matter in a UCONN uniform not making 7 out 10 free throws.

I hope you get well soon Citrusdog.

Reaction Score
Thank God I am a UCONN Husky!

We've won 13 of the last 40 ncaa bbal champioships... And I am thinking we have a legitimate at another this year. Only a handful of teams 'might' be able to beat the girls. Then comes KLS and Crystal.. and bunch of other very talented looking prospects.... as we lose Kalena... maybe the following year as well...

The men... I like a lot of the players we have... obviously we need more and we need to get better - duh. But I've still got KO's back on a lot of this.... RM and KF... are they really good coaches?? I think GM is... for some things. I do agree that the buck stops with the head coach.

It just ain't that easy... even if the girls make it look that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom