I hate this place after losses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I hate this place after losses

Reaction Score
Yes you did. Just freaking look back to some of the game-threads from last year. I mean, I'm serious. They freaking lost to ECU. ECU!?!? There were reasons, sure, but no better than this.

If you--like me--were in favor of not firing KO after the disastrous last season and series of transfers, than this sort of sh¡tty experience was something you needed to expect at moments. They don't have the talent outside of Adams-Larrier-Gilbert. There were a lot of reasons for that.

But I'll repeat: if you didn't fire KO in April after he lost pretty much his whole coveted recruiting class, then your position, in spite of embarrassment today, ought to be patience.
They lost those games due to lack of ability and fire power. Never did I see them quit and not look interested. NEVER. Those guys played hard. Smart? No. Well all the time? No, but we never questioned wether they cared

Reaction Score
The problem is your next to last sentence: "KO needs to change some sh¡t."

Will he actually acknowledge the issues and make the changes? Given his track record and post-game comments, I'm not too optimistic.
I think you want to remember that what people say in public is very different than what they do in private.

If he don't change he needs to go. This team, on paper, is a bubble team. That was our expectation. That should remain ours, with hopes they evolve past that.

Reaction Score
Yes you did. Just freaking look back to some of the game-threads from last year. I mean, I'm serious. They freaking lost to ECU. ECU!?!? There were reasons, sure, but no better than this.

If you--like me--were in favor of not firing KO after the disastrous last season and series of transfers, than this sort of sh¡tty experience was something you needed to expect at moments. They don't have the talent outside of Adams-Larrier-Gilbert. There were a lot of reasons for that.

But I'll repeat: if you didn't fire KO in April after he lost pretty much his whole coveted recruiting class, then your position, in spite of embarrassment today, ought to be patience.

The Houston loss last year was just as bad as this.

Reaction Score
They lost those games due to lack of ability and fire power. Never did I see them quit and not look interested. NEVER. Those guys played hard. Smart? No. Well all the time? No, but we never questioned wether they cared
I'll repeat. People complained ad nauseum last year about lack of effort. And in a number of other years as well. (2010).

People always look like they aren't trying when they're getting beat. Unless they're fighting. I coach, I know. When one team is winning big, the other team looks like bums who don't care.

Reaction Score
The Houston loss last year was just as bad as this.
WRONG. They played with like 6 players and no point guard. That isn’t remotely similar to just bullish!tting on the court for 40min

Reaction Score
99% of the time, fans aren't in a position to question effort on the court.

To me - this team looked utterly unprepared and helpless. And their coach was nowhere to be found to help them.

Reaction Score
I’d normally agree. But today was different. As fans we can tolerate losses and even disagree on what needs to be done to win. But what we can’t start to except is being non-competitive. We got embarrassed tonight and we didn’t even seem like we wanted to compete. That was a first for me. I always hung my KO hat on KO being able to get his teams to play hard. But tonight? Was completely and utterly embarrassing and unacceptable. That wasn’t UConn heart or basketball. We as fans can crap on Amida, Rodney, and Kentan all we want but I’ve never seen them look that pathetic. IMO JA, TL haven’t proven to have half the heart those guys had. On a night like tonight I missed amida’s energy and Rodney’s constant positive energy. This team has some soul searching to do after tonight from KO to the 15th man. Is this the legacy they want to leave? UConn fans are not pleased right now and with good reason. They disrespected the program tonight

I think you'd really have to abuse the powers of hindsight to say, just a day after people were saying the complete opposite, that this team has no heart. I mean, I'm just as baffled as everyone else, but we can't pretend the last two games didn't happen. They did scrap. They did fight. They did compete in those games. Their competitive qualities weren't just passable but they drew explicit praise from a lot of people, myself included.

Sorry, but "on a night like tonight I missed amida's energy and Rodney's positive energy" is either reactionary nonsense or a major exception to the fan consensus. The idea that people are now longing for the Purvis/Brimah days is hysterical even beyond the standards of this board.

Reaction Score
lol piss off mau. we could have air bud as the head coach and I'd be fine with it as long as we were winning and showing promise.
Just as I told you. Nothing surprises me anymore with this place.

Reaction Score
I'll repeat. People complained ad nauseum last year about lack of effort. And in a number of other years as well. (2010).

People always look like they aren't trying when they're getting beat. Unless they're fighting. I coach, I know. When one team is winning big, the other team looks like bums who don't care.
Amida never looked like he didn’t care. Rodney would beat himself up if he wasn’t playing well. You can’t convince me that those 2 guys ever played like they didn’t care. It isn’t true

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This was an embarrassing game, for sure.

BUT one result doesn't make things that different. This is the same team that needed late heroics to beat Stony Brook, played well against what will be a borderline tournament team (Oregon), and played well again MSU for a half.

This was a crappy game in particular, but people are making way too much out of one game. Progress isn't linear, and we have some pieces.

We're also going to lose some more frustrating games. But people here can't keep expectations consistent from one game to the next. Many here though we'd be 1-2, with our 1 win against DePaul.

Embarrassing loss and all, this team is what it was a week ago: a bubble NCAA team that has a decent ceiling but needs to grow.

(And among those who 'need to grow' includes, of course, our 44-year-old head coach)
Your Subject line for sure. Actually, the whole post.

And your avatar always brings a smile to my face.

This is a game better forgotten*, and if there are steadily more like it (yep, there could be), then I'll pull the plug at some point. Just not yet now.

Meantime, there are too many posts and threads to follow, and I'll consider that a blessing and not even try any more than I already have.

* If I remember it, it will be as a 40-point loss.

Reaction Score
lol piss off mau. we could have air bud as the head coach and I'd be fine with it as long as we were winning and showing promise.

Good for you. We are where we are, it ain't pretty and I can even agree with some of your frustrations but don't be so happy about a loss it's not at all a good look.

Reaction Score
I think you'd really have to abuse the powers of hindsight to say, just a day after people were saying the complete opposite, that this team has no heart. I mean, I'm just as baffled as everyone else, but we can't pretend the last two games didn't happen. They did scrap. They did fight. They did compete in those games. Their competitive qualities weren't just passable but they drew explicit praise from a lot of people, myself included.

Sorry, but "on a night like tonight I missed amida's energy and Rodney's positive energy" is either reactionary nonsense or a major exception to the fan consensus. The idea that people are now longing for the Purvis/Brimah days is hysterical even beyond the standards of this board.
I didn’t say I miss the days of Rodney and Amida. I said on a night like tonight you miss those qualities. I praised them for battling mich st for a half. But that then excuses this performance tonight? I’ll never except not playing hard idc what you’ve done in the past. Tonight they did not play hard

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was an embarrassing game, for sure.

BUT one result doesn't make things that different. This is the same team that needed late heroics to beat Stony Brook, played well against what will be a borderline tournament team (Oregon), and played well again MSU for a half.

This was a crappy game in particular, but people are making way too much out of one game. Progress isn't linear, and we have some pieces.

We're also going to lose some more frustrating games. But people here can't keep expectations consistent from one game to the next. Many here though we'd be 1-2, with our 1 win against DePaul.

Embarrassing loss and all, this team is what it was a week ago: a bubble NCAA team that has a decent ceiling but needs to grow.

(And among those who 'need to grow' includes, of course, our 44-year-old head coach)

I’m not giving up on the season, but that was humiliating in so many ways. The players didn’t give the effort, the coaches didn’t prepare them, the coaches didn’t make adjustments and nobody showed any leadership. I would have been happier if I saw some players taking ownership of this, taking charge and saying “this isn’t acceptable “. I didn’t. Seemed like nobody even cared that we got taken apart on national TV.

I do think we overreact to most losses. I’m not sure it’s possible to overreact to this loss. That said, we move on and try to win the next one.

Reaction Score

I agree that its usually a cop out to blame a loss on the team having a lack of effort. But I'm going there tonight. Especially when its in such stark contrast to the way the team got after Oregon. Maybe the lack of pressure was a part of it was the game plan? The staff not wanting to speed up an already fast team, etc. but Oregon plays very fast too. It doesn't help that Arkansas shot lights out and that must have demoralized the kids but the 1v1 perimeter defense was just entirely different tonight. And how many times did Arkansas get easy looks and buckets off delayed fast breaks off missed shots? Possessions like that are unacceptable. I'm kinda at a loss for what I saw tonight.

Troy Brown is supposed to be an elite attacker. Pritchard is a very good and crafty guard. These guys could not create and our guards were causing absolute mayhem 2 nights ago. And today we saw blow by after blow by after blow by.

Reaction Score
Good for you. We are where we are, it ain't pretty and I can even agree with some of your frustrations but don't be so happy about a loss it's not at all a good look.
yes, the people complaining are happy we lost. good grief.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hear hear TZZ:D
Actually, what has been the performance issue under KO has been a constant. Inconsistency on both sides of the ball within games and from game to game. That is especially hard to explain on D. I didn’t see the Arkansas game or any recent game, coming home today from China. I don’t want his head, I want better coaching. I’m a UConn fan and if KO isn’t the guy, then he isn’t. We all want him to succeed, but even during his NC year the team was inconsistent and only a Brimah miracle enable the final run where the team, to his credit, played great D.

He got a pass for last year, so many injuries. But he can’t keep getting passes and if the intensity is erratic, that’s on him. If they don’t run an offense,, who do we attribute that to? Our league isn’t great or lousy, but if we can’t get above middle of the pack this year, what does Benedict do? I hope KO can get it done.

Calhoun did us no favors by putting Manuel in a position where we didn’t do the national coaching search the program deserved. My attitude then was , do a national search and if KO was the winner, fine. We would have done due diligence. We all know what a well coached team looks like.

Reaction Score
Just as I told you. Nothing surprises me anymore with this place.
just wait. people are mad that others are complaining. if this trend continues there will be no fans left to complain. they can then proceed uninterrupted with their circlejerk of positivity

Reaction Score
They're the one's we don't see unless they lose or do you have a better theory? LOL
well you lumped me in there and I spend more time on this board than most. and don't say I haven't been consistent.

Reaction Score
I am guessing roll call for Columbia is gonna be light...
No I’ll still be uber excited to watch that game because the fan in me says it’ll click on Wednesday night. I’m a slave to the love of UConn Basketball lol

Reaction Score
just wait. people are mad that others are complaining. if this trend continues there will be no fans left to complain. they can then proceed uninterrupted with their circlejerk of positivity

I'm not at all positive Mick where have you seen that? I'm not mad at anyone complaining actually I'm a little embarrassed about those who gloat in the negativity of the day. Congrats for being one of those you should be very proud!

Reaction Score
WRONG. They played with like 6 players and no point guard. That isn’t remotely similar to just bullish!tting on the court for 40min

Yes, it is similar. Very similar. This Arkansas team is 10x the team that Houston team was. Losing to Houston while having no idea what to do on offense was a huge embarrassment. Houston!! This Arkansas team is a returning tourney team with better players. Houston?

Reaction Score
Actually, what has been the performance issue under KO has been a constant. Inconsistency on both sides of the ball within games and from game to game. That is especially hard to explain on D. I didn’t see the Arkansas game or any recent game, coming home today from China. I don’t want his head, I want better coaching. I’m a UConn fan and if KO isn’t the guy, then he isn’t. We all want him to succeed, but even during his NC year the team was inconsistent and only a Brimah miracle enable the final run where the team, to his credit, played great D.

He got a pass for last year, so many injuries. But he can’t keep getting passes and if the intensity is erratic, that’s on him. If they don’t run an offense,, who do we attribute that to? Our league isn’t great or lousy, but if we can’t get above middle of the pack this year, what does Benedict do? I hope KO can get it done.

Calhoun did us no favors by putting Manuel in a position where we didn’t do the national coaching search the program deserved. My attitude then was , do a national search and if KO was the winner, fine. We would have done due diligence. We all know what a well coached team looks like.

Q: would you have traded the 2014 championship for a better coach?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom