I hate this place after losses | The Boneyard

I hate this place after losses

Reaction Score
This was an embarrassing game, for sure.

BUT one result doesn't make things that different. This is the same team that needed late heroics to beat Stony Brook, played well against what will be a borderline tournament team (Oregon), and played well again MSU for a half.

This was a crappy game in particular, but people are making way too much out of one game. Progress isn't linear, and we have some pieces.

We're also going to lose some more frustrating games. But people here can't keep expectations consistent from one game to the next. Many here though we'd be 1-2, with our 1 win against DePaul.

Embarrassing loss and all, this team is what it was a week ago: a bubble NCAA team that has a decent ceiling but needs to grow.

(And among those who 'need to grow' includes, of course, our 44-year-old head coach)

Reaction Score
This wasn't just a garden variety loss.

This was a complete and utter no-show against an unranked team, coming on the heels of a 20-point loss to an excellent team that should have provided motivation in and of itself. It also comes on the heels of an awful season in which motivation and passion on the part of players and coaches were called into question.

It was the continuation of a very disturbing trend.

The season is far from over, and we have plenty of time to turn things around, but today's result does not suggest that the unacceptable performance of a year ago is firmly behind us.

Reaction Score
Well, people need to vent.

But people's memories are very short. If we turn things around nobody will care. Kinda looks like a big "if" at this point, though.

I don't think it is a big if at all. I do think though that the ceiling is very limited. There really is no resistance in the middle. They'll beat the bad teams, and some of the good teams on the schedule, but outside of Arizona, and maybe Villanova, I don't think they'll see teams of this caliber again, and if they do, they'll get blown out again. They just can't run with them--even if they play hard (which they didn't do today). They scrapped against MSU--but not today. This Arkansas team is also much better than posters are giving them credit for. It's irrelevant that they are unranked so early in the season. They have 3 studs.

Reaction Score
The issue I have had has been since 2014 we have been in a constant rebuild. As soon as ollie got the keys to the kingdom and Calhoun parted ways with him the program just hasn't preformed. We can't afford to sit on these issues like we did with football. The American is too bad and the state too poor to let this go on.

Reaction Score
This wasn't just a garden variety loss.

This was a complete and utter no-show against an unranked team, coming on the heels of a 20-point loss to an excellent team that should have provided motivation in and of itself. It also comes on the heels of an awful season in which motivation and passion on the part of players and coaches were called into question.

It was the continuation of a very disturbing trend.

The season is far from over, and we have plenty of time to turn things around, but today's result does not suggest that the unacceptable performance of a year ago is firmly behind us.
Hate KO. I don't care. I've been tepidly on the KO train the entire time. I thought the way he was hired was BS, but that people are too quick to negate a NC.

Be pissed off about this loss, too. You are right to be.

I hate that a bunch of people who don't show up after a win show up now. I hate that we have fans who can't put things into context.

I hate that people can't keep their full season expectations in a meaningful perspective (2004 UConn vs. Providence? vs. UNC? 2008 vs. PC just to name a few).

I hate that people confuse venting on a public forum accessible to everyone with complaining with their actual friends at a bar or writing in their sad journal.

KO needs to change some sh¡t. Let's talk specifics not couched in anger and frustration all can read.

Reaction Score

BUT one result doesn't make things that different. This is the same team that needed late heroics to beat Stony Brook, played well against what will be a borderline tournament team (Oregon), and played well again MSU for a half.

This was a crappy game in particular, but people are making way too much out of one game. Progress isn't linear, and we have some pieces.

We're also going to lose some more frustrating games. But people here can't keep expectations consistent from one game to the next. Many here though we'd be 1-2, with our 1 win against DePaul.

Embarrassing loss and all, this team is what it was a week ago: a bubble NCAA team that has a decent ceiling but needs to grow.

(And among those who 'need to grow' includes, of course, our 44-year-old head coach)

Well stated but as a long time fan the feeling of wanting to just turn it off due to embarrassment is not a good one. The many who have wanted his head are now gathering somewhere for a bonfire to celebrate and that sucks too. I mean we all hope like hell he can turn the season around and hope that they were tired form different time zones and all, but this was very very ugly in so many ways.

But I do appreciate these posts in compared to the bass's, biz's and Micks. For those types they will be miserable if KO finds a way to turn it around and that also would be fun. But for now I am very nervous as to whether they can or will. He can't get his leaders to play hard on both ends and that's not a good sign for me.

Reaction Score
Hate KO. I don't care. I've been tepidly on the KO train the entire time. I thought the way he was hired was BS, but that people are too quick to negate a NC.

I hate that a bunch of people who don't show up after a win show up now. I hate that we have fans who can't put things into context.

I hate that people can't keep their full season expectations in a meaningful perspective (2004 UConn vs. Providence? vs. UNC? 2008 vs. PC just to name a few).

I hate that people confuse venting on a public forum accessible to everyone with complaining with their actual friends at a bar or writing in their sad journal.

KO needs to change some sh¡t. Let's talk specifics not couched in anger and frustration all can read.

Hear hear TZZ:D

Reaction Score
We have a tremendous schedule of opponents to turn this thing, that’s not the issue for once. It’s just the sense of despair because our roster and coach seem incapable. Other than that everything is honky dory.

Reaction Score
2004 and 2008 had NBA talent and we played in the crucible of the BE.

We just lost the last two games by like 55 points. No marquee win since 2014. No consistent top 25 ranking in years. Bye bye KO

Reaction Score

I’d normally agree. But today was different. As fans we can tolerate losses and even disagree on what needs to be done to win. But what we can’t start to except is being non-competitive. We got embarrassed tonight and we didn’t even seem like we wanted to compete. That was a first for me. I always hung my KO hat on KO being able to get his teams to play hard. But tonight? Was completely and utterly embarrassing and unacceptable. That wasn’t UConn heart or basketball. We as fans can crap on Amida, Rodney, and Kentan all we want but I’ve never seen them look that pathetic. IMO JA, TL haven’t proven to have half the heart those guys had. On a night like tonight I missed amida’s energy and Rodney’s constant positive energy. This team has some soul searching to do after tonight from KO to the 15th man. Is this the legacy they want to leave? UConn fans are not pleased right now and with good reason. They disrespected the program tonight

Reaction Score
We have a tremendous schedule of opponents to turn this thing, that’s not the issue for once. It’s just the sense of despair because our roster and coach seem incapable. Other than that everything is honky dory.
Except we seemed incapable of anything after the PC scrimmage. And that this team's depth is nothing. And that it's talent is weak.

We knew this is April. In April we were worried about fielding a team.

How is anything that has happened surprising given that the best adds were grad transfers from Fordham and Cornell (who have done a great deal, mind you)?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
People on the ledge after a close loss, ridiculous. People on the ledge after consecutive 20 point and 35 point losses on neutral courts, perfectly understandable. I'm much more concerned about the sanity of those who say we're overreacting.

Reaction Score
Except we seemed incapable of anything after the PC scrimmage. And that this team's depth is nothing. And that it's talent is weak.

How is anything that has happened surprising given that the best adds were grad transfers from Fordham and Cornell (who have done a great deal, mind you)?

Because every October half the board talks themselves into thinking we're a tournament team no matter what.

Reaction Score
Well stated but as a long time fan the feeling of wanting to just turn it off due to embarrassment is not a good one. The many who have wanted his head are now gathering somewhere for a bonfire to celebrate and that sucks too. I mean we all hope like hell he can turn the season around and hope that they were tired form different time zones and all, but this was very very ugly in so many ways.

But I do appreciate these posts in compared to the bass's, biz's and Micks. For those types they will be miserable if KO finds a way to turn it around and that also would be fun. But for now I am very nervous as to whether they can or will. He can't get his leaders to play hard on both ends and that's not a good sign for me.
lol piss off mau. we could have air bud as the head coach and I'd be fine with it as long as we were winning and showing promise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Hey my journal is bad a**.

Take that back.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I’d normally agree. But today was different. As fans we can tolerate losses and even disagree on what needs to be done to win. But what we can’t start to except is being non-competitive. We got embarrassed tonight and we didn’t even seem like we wanted to compete. That was a first for me. I always hung my KO hat on KO being able to get his teams to play hard. But tonight? Was completely and utterly embarrassing and unacceptable. That wasn’t UConn heart or basketball. We as fans can crap on Amida, Rodney, and Kentan all we want but I’ve never seen them look that pathetic. IMO JA, TL haven’t proven to have half the heart those guys had. On a night like tonight I missed amida’s energy and Rodney’s constant positive energy. This team has some soul searching to do after tonight from KO to the 15th man. Is this the legacy they want to leave? UConn fans are not pleased right now and with good reason. They disrespected the program tonight
Forget $15 ticket specials. They're going to have to give them away.

Reaction Score

EFFORT

Reaction Score
We as fans can crap on Amida, Rodney, and Kentan all we want but I’ve never seen them look that pathetic.
Yes you did. Just freaking look back to some of the game-threads from last year. I mean, I'm serious. They freaking lost to ECU. ECU!?!? There were reasons, sure, but no better than this.

If you--like me--were in favor of not firing KO after the disastrous last season and series of transfers, than this sort of sh¡tty experience was something you needed to expect at moments. They don't have the talent outside of Adams-Larrier-Gilbert. There were a lot of reasons for that.

But I'll repeat: if you didn't fire KO in April after he lost pretty much his whole coveted recruiting class, then your position, in spite of embarrassment today, ought to be patience.

Reaction Score

The problem is your next to last sentence: "KO needs to change some sh¡t."

Will he actually acknowledge the issues and make the changes? Given his track record and post-game comments, I'm not too optimistic.

Reaction Score
Forget $15 ticket specials. They're going to have to give them away.
you'll get less people in their seats if they get tickets for free. you need to charge something or else there's no incentive to get out of bed to go. marketing 101

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom