I hate ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I hate ESPN

Reaction Score
As far as im concerned, lets just watch the game. Thats why i tune in to watch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well you asked, so apparently an interview w/ Kara Lawson and Grant Williams, Tennessee alums.

I wonder if this will cause some angst among the Orange that their hero Kara is in the audience?
Ah the sweet smell of angst. :D

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
ESPN has lost it. Love Rebecca but the announcing at games is putrid.
Sooooo spot on!!! She should be on the halftime show with Andy. They have similar styles. While they blabber; facititate and reload with snacks and refreshment.

Reaction Score
We were at the game. On two occasions the ND freshman Peoples made some major league moves around the basket to score. When we got home we watched the ESPN replay of the game. On both occasions ESPN was yapping away and didn’t notice or care.
As an aside ND has some talent but still pretty raw- only drew 9 fouls and made 5. That must be some kind of a record.

Reaction Score
Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

I just rewatched the first half. Zero asides from any of the 3. Zero. Great analysis from Rebecca who knows basketball, and both the others were on the action, on point.

I'll be rewatching the second half later today and will time the asides.

Methinks much to do about nothin' here on this thread.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I, for one, who live far away from where the Huskies play any games, am grateful to be able to occasionally watch them live and not have to wait until the games are downloaded onto the Huskies game website.

Sure, sometimes the announcers aren't what you would hope. I feel this way when watching college football games and NFL games as well. But there are only so many Doris Burke's and Tony Romo's out there - can't you just tune out the blah blah and enjoy watching your team play?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Mute............they do have the clearest images, though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why can't y'all just accept the fact that Boneyarders are not ESPN's target audience. They want the casual sports fan who'll watch the game because it's UCONN vs ND or because GENO "hates" MUFFET and vice versa. In order to maintain their ratings they have to string along those viewers when the outcome is already determined and so they "socialize" and hope the audience won't change the channel. Boneyarders ain't goin' anywhere and they know it. Sorry, but that's the reality and it's sad that Rebecca has to be a part of it.
I agree 100%. I know I'm in the minority, but as you said, WCBB is always trying to increase the audience. ESPN doesn't give a crap about UCONN or ND fans watching the game - they are rabid followers and would find ways to watch the game even if it were on some remote all access cable network (remember CPTV?).

So get used to it. There is zero reason for the announcers to focus solely on the game. They are trying to be entertaining to draw in non UCONN and ND fans. I'm not sure I understand all the angst. Some UCONN fans seem to feel like it's our god-given right to have the best play by play people announce every game and spend every second on what's happening, why, how, and what it means.

SNY has a captive audience so to speak. Most people outside New England don't even subscribe to that channel. So they know it's going to be all UCONN fans watching the game, and they can focus more on what so many UONN fans are complaining about with ESPN...

WCBB has a very small audience. Anything they can do to increase the eyeballs will be tried, and frankly I'm fine with that.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Solution: Have only 1 announcer at the game; maybe 1 more on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%...So get used to it. There is zero reason for the announcers to focus solely on the game. They are trying to be entertaining to draw in non UCONN and ND fans. I'm not sure I understand all the angst. Some UCONN fans seem to feel like it's our god-given right to have the best play by play people announce every game and spend every second on what's happening, why, how, and what it means.

SNY has a captive audience so to speak. Most people outside New England don't even subscribe to that channel. So they know it's going to be all UCONN fans watching the game, and they can focus more on what so many UONN fans are complaining about with ESPN...

WCBB has a very small audience. Anything they can do to increase the eyeballs will be tried, and frankly I'm fine with that.
Wait... So what are you saying??

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I know I'm in the minority, but as you said, WCBB is always trying to increase the audience. ESPN doesn't give a crap about UCONN or ND fans watching the game - they are rabid followers and would find ways to watch the game even if it were on some remote all access cable network (remember CPTV?).

So get used to it. There is zero reason for the announcers to focus solely on the game. They are trying to be entertaining to draw in non UCONN and ND fans. I'm not sure I understand all the angst. Some UCONN fans seem to feel like it's our god-given right to have the best play by play people announce every game and spend every second on what's happening, why, how, and what it means.

I agree. I have no idea why people, other than newbies, need or care about announcers. Just give me a graphic with the personal foul situation and score with no voices bothering me and I can handle it from there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with those who say that you can't expect the announcers to focus totally on the game when it is a blowout. Their boredom with the game probably reflects the view of most of the viewers (if they have stuck around to see the end of the blowout).

More annoying to me: During the Seton Hall game, the broadcast used every available second of timeouts to put something on the screen that caused the basketball court to be out of the picture. They would often press their luck and not show free throws or even in-bounds plays. I much prefer the ESPN approach of doing promos in 1/3 of the screen and continuing to show the actual basketball game in the main part of the screen.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer Meghan and Eric. The SNY broadcasts are much bettersSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I agree SNY is much better than ESPN, with the exception of Rebecca, she's first class. I have been listening to Bob Joyce do to the fact Frontier fails to carry the UConn games. Glad Bob is so professional, his broadcast almost makes you feel you're in the arena watching the game in person.

Reaction Score
On the other hand I was watching a game where Courtney Lyle was doing the play by play (obviously not a UConn game) and she actually spent more time not saying a thing than she did doing play by play. For instance she might say who scored a basket or committed a foul but nothing else about the offensive possession.
The analyst would throw out nuggets but for the most part, it was pretty much crickets...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn is not the only team that ESPN does that to. It's irritating. If the announcers were not important, why have them? Just keep the fans interested in what is happening on the floor. Some other things are necessary but not when it takes away from the action going on at the time.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the first half. Zero asides from any of the 3. Zero. Great analysis from Rebecca who knows basketball, and both the others were on the action, on point.

Not to beat a dead horse, and not to irritate anyone on the BY at all, yet...

I did watch the 2nd half and they kept the play by play happening, and the color commentary incisive, for me anyhoo, and added much info about the other teams this season which gave a nice look at how the season was shaping up everywhere. Again, only one personal aside which I enjoyed, kidding each other.

For me, Rebecca Lobos has earned her stripes and her insight into the game, the players, and the coaches, hands down, and belongs top of any list.

So I love the ESPN crew and don't see the issues others seem to "hate". :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom