I feel bad for AG and CV | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I feel bad for AG and CV

Reaction Score
Perhaps.
You certainly need to weigh that play as THE play that cost the game. That's a bias imo.

I'd say the pass Gilbert made to Josh who was alone in the paint and slow to dunk resulting in a block was pivitol. Or his missed bunny near the end of regulation after a great offensive rebound. I'd say Bouk reaching in getting his fifth foul was pivitol. There was no reason to make that play and he was put in for offense. I'd say all the drives to the basket resulting in blocks were pivitol. Perhaps taking a quick shot before the defense was set knowing there were no remaining good ones was what he was thinking. He makes that shot he's a hero. Obviously missing he's a goat.
Your last sentence says it all and it's why Christian took the shot. He desperately needs to get that hero mentality out of his head. It was an absolutely terrible shot and a 4-5 point swing. The percentages on Vital making an off the dribble contested long three and Gilbert making a layup from his hip over a defender are insanely low.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know you did and then you made a bunch of excuses for why Gilbert and Vital made dumb hero ball plays. It's not at all unsubstantiated, if you keep driving in to take wild layups from your hip you're going to keep getting blocked and giving the other team possession, if you take wild 3 pointers off the dribble with a hand in your face it's usually going to lead to a 5 point swing...It is what it is, we lost the game when they went into dumb hero ball mode. Hurley needs to clean it up with them or there will be more games like Xavier where we wrestle away a win and turn it into a loss.
Why debate a different viewpoint by indicating I'm making excuses. I'm establishing the situation that existed at the end of regulation and the OT periods that you are not pointing out which necessitated those plays. I never said I liked those plays. I was at the game cringing every bit as much as you were when they took place.

All I'm saying is that there were no other options really available during this period you are upset with. It's easy to criticize and I don't want to take away your upset. I'm upset as well. But tell me what could have been done in those last fifteen minutes of the game (end of reg and 2 OTs) with the players who were remaining and the foul situation.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I would also say AG strolling down the court like he’s choosing donuts at the end of reg was pretty decisive. Sure, could that have been stolen by X. But you don’t take all the time on the clock and not get it to someone who can shoot. And when you’re not shooting well, you don’t take that shot... and DH shouldn’t make him take that shot.
Your last sentence says it all and it's why Christian took the shot. He desperately needs to get that hero mentality out of his head. It was an absolutely terrible shot and a 4-5 point swing. The percentages on Vital making an off the dribble contested long three and Gilbert making a layup from his hip over a defender are insanely low.
Again what were the options. Akok not in the game because of injury. Adams playing with back spasms so he has no lift on his shot. Bouk with four fouls and Hurley has to manage his play. Josh and Whaley out with five. Jalen not ready to contribute in this game. Xavier recognized the situation and overplay Tyler. Sid has yet to show any ability to make shots.

You are pointing out the obvious. Driving to the basket was a proven failure. CV was cold in this game. Al was cold since the beginning of time. What do you want them to do? Dribble the ball at the top of the key until a turnover is called for shot clock violation.

I have no problem with your criticism. Anyone can back seat failure. Tell me what they could have done given the situation at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Why debate a different viewpoint by indicating I'm making excuses. I'm establishing the situation that existed at the end of regulation and the OT periods that you are not pointing out which necessitated those plays. I never said I liked those plays. I was at the game cringing every bit as much as you were when they took place.

All I'm saying is that there were no other options really available during this period you are upset with. It's easy to criticize and I don't want to take away your upset. I'm upset as well. But tell me what could have been done in those last fifteen minutes of the game (end of reg and 2 OTs) with the players who were remaining and the foul situation.
They absolutely did not necessitate those plays. Nothing necessitates getting the ball with 13 seconds on the shotclock and hoisting up a long contested three off the dribble with a hand in your face and nothing necessitates trying to shoot wild layups over much bigger people than you when it's proven over and over you can't make them.

You're taking a really weird position here in trying to defend awful incredibly low percentage hero shots. To say there are no better options is crazy and it's my worry that Gilbert and Vital still think them taking wild hero ball shots is the best way to win. Hutley has to fix this with them or they need to sit.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They absolutely did not necessitate those plays. Nothing necessitates getting the ball with 13 seconds on the shotclock and hoisting up a long contested three off the dribble with a hand in your face and nothing necessitates trying to shoot wild layups over much bigger people than you when it's proven over and over you can't make them.

You're taking a really weird position here in trying to defend awful incredibly low percentage hero shots. To say there are no better options is crazy and it's my worry that Gilbert and Vital still think them taking wild hero ball shots is the best way to win. Hutley has to fix this with them or they need to sit.
You still are not offering plays they could have made with the people that were available at the critical junction of this game.

I'm not defending those plays by pointing out there were no other options that I could see. If you have them I'll reconsider.

Reaction Score
Again what were the options. Akok not in the game because of injury. Adams playing with back spasms so he has no lift on his shot. Bouk with four fouls and Hurley has to manage his play. Josh and Whaley out with five. Jalen not ready to contribute in this game. Xavier recognized the situation and overplay Tyler. Sid has yet to show any ability to make shots.

You are pointing out the obvious. Driving to the basket was a proven failure. CV was cold in this game. Al was cold since the beginning of time. What do you want them to do? Dribble the ball at the top of the key until a turnover is called for shot clock violation.

I have no problem with your criticism. Anyone can back seat failure. Tell me what they could have done given the situation at the end of the game.
But it wasn't a quick 3 before the defense was set, I don't have a problem with those shots. It was a contested 3 with a defender in his face where he dribbled around the 3 point line for 7 seconds and then threw up a shot

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
THIS! And when CV finds his 3 point shot, it’s going to be amazing. How many times were those clutch in previous years?

CV finds his 3 point shot all the time. And then loses it again.

He's streaky. That's who he is.

And he's never seen a heat check he didn't like.

Reaction Score
I would also say AG strolling down the court like he’s choosing donuts at the end of reg was pretty decisive. Sure, could that have been stolen by X. But you don’t take all the time on the clock and not get it to someone who can shoot. And when you’re not shooting well, you don’t take that shot... and DH shouldn’t make him take that shot.

Make some sense on occasion please. He was asked to take the last shot did you watch the last play in regulation? No one even moved from their spread spots and honestly you should be sure to at least get to OT and not leave time on the clock for X. Your attempt to make CVs value more impactful than AGs is funny. They both blew and were part of the reason we didn’t win the game period. Moral victories by rebounding congrats on that your favorite guy still is 3-2 also.

Vital “fans” are becoming irritating. They both suck we need better from each of our senior guards. We’re all hoping to see Ws and hope all of our guys play well so I hope CV goes 8-11 today with 11 boards and we win. I’m thinking a fan like you will be disappointed to see AG play well like we know he can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You still are not offering plays they could have made with the people that were available at the critical junction of this game.
Anything is better. Pass the ball, drive and kick, screen for your shooters, don't wait until there is no time left on the final play. Give it to your best player for the final play, the one who can actually take his man off the dribble and score.

You're advocating for them to make the worst basketball plays, the lowest percentage plays because you don't trust any of their teammates. That is the biggest problem right now and I'm scared that's the way Gilbert and Vital think. It's why we lost the game and the success as a team this year will be Hurley getting AG and Christian to cut this stuff out.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But it wasn't a quick 3 before the defense was set, I don't have a problem with those shots. It was a contested 3 with a defender in his face where he dribbled around the 3 point line for 7 seconds and then threw up a shot
I stand corrected. TY.

It still is a rational play even if I screamed loudly (I was in the stands from where he took that shot) WHY? The worse option would have been to hold the ball till the end of the shot clock and not have a two for one option at the end of the second OT. I just don't see any other options for scoring when Bouk wasn't on the court during this part of the game. Furthermore it was a play that was drawn up by Hurley after the timeout. Again his options were limited if Bouknight was not in the game and I feel strongly Hurley was focusing on defense to win the game at the end of regulation. We were up three.

To focus on one play for the loss is scapegoating imo.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. TY.

It still is a rational play even if I screamed loudly (I was in the stands from where he took that shot) WHY? The worse option would have been to hold the ball till the end of the shot clock and not have a two for one option at the end of the second OT. I just don't see any other options for scoring when Bouk wasn't on the court during this part of the game. Furthermore it was a play that was drawn up by Hurley after the timeout. Again his options were limited if Bouknight was not in the game and I feel strongly Hurley was focusing on defense to win the game at the end of regulation. We were up three.

To focus on one play for the loss is scapegoating imo.
If you think Hurley drew up a play fot Vital to dribble around the three point line and then take a contested pull up three with a hand in his face I don't know what to tell you.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Anything is better. Pass the ball, drive and kick, screen for your shooters, don't wait until there is no time left on the final play. Give it to your best player for the final play, the one who can actually take his man off the dribble and score.

You're advocating for them to make the worst basketball plays, the lowest percentage plays because you don't trust any of their teammates. That is the biggest problem right now and I'm scared that's the way Gilbert and Vital think. It's why we lost the game and the success as a team this year will be Hurley getting AG and Christian to cut this stuff out.
Pass to whom? Who screens? Who is your best player? It's definitely Bouknight but up three at the end of regulation with 50 seconds remaining your primary focus as a coach has to be defense. So you can't put Bouknight in at that moment based on the defense you observed from him earlier in the game even if he's the best offensive option by far because defense has a better probability of resulting in the win than any offensive opportunity. So without Bouk there were no good options. You roll the dice which bad offensive play you make.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If you think Hurley drew up a play fot Vital to dribble around the three point line and then take a contested pull up three with a hand in his face I don't know what to tell you.
And you know this how? He set up the first couple of plays in the Buffalo game for an alley to Akok. Al carried it out even though the play wasn't there. He should have called an audible but that's not how these kids are dealing with the plays Hurley calls for them. Same with the timeouts and trying to get the ball to Josh when they shouldn't because he's being doubled.

This is early in the season. The team has made immense progress and you yourself have indicated several times it won't be until next year when we'll really see what Dan can do when he has all his players. Right now he doesn't have the confidence for them to make audibles so he's calling the plays after time outs. I expect that to change as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
I am the most die hard UCONN Fan and am devastated over the loss.
We have a good coach and I trust He,CV and AG will figure it out.
The new guys are great but have to be worked into the rotation. This team will be great sooner than later.
Hopefully that will happen quick like today vs Miami.

Reaction Score
CV had one of his worst shooting games as a husky and we took a top 20 team down to the wire and would have won if it weren’t for a guy hitting a 32 footer with a guy in his face. The future is bright in Storrs

Reaction Score
Pass to whom? Who screens? Who is your best player? It's definitely Bouknight but up three at the end of regulation with 50 seconds remaining your primary focus as a coach has to be defense. So you can't put Bouknight in at that moment based on the defense you observed from him earlier in the game even if he's the best offensive option by far because defense has a better probability of resulting in the win than any offensive opportunity. So without Bouk there were no good options. You roll the dice which bad offensive play you make.
I said give the ball to your best player on the last possession (Bouknight.) He's the guy who can take his man off the dribble and score. Gilbert should only be given the ball to break his man down to create opportunities for others. He may have the ability to break his man down and pull up and score later in the season but he's proven he isn't capable now.

I don't know how many times I can keep repeating that those type of plays from Gilbert and Vital keep us from winning.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I said give the ball to your best player on the last possession (Bouknight.) He's the guy who can take his man off the dribble and score. Gilbert should only be given the ball to break his man down to create opportunities for others. He may have the ability to break his man down and pull up and score later in the season but he's proven he isn't capable now.

I don't know how many times I can keep repeating that those type of plays from Gilbert and Vital keep us from winning.
And I said Hurley at the end of regulation chose defense over offense and did not have Bouknight in the game. At the end of the second OT Bouknight took himself out of the game. What time are you talking about?

Reaction Score
And you know this how? He set up the first couple of plays in the Buffalo game for an alley to Akok. Al carried it out even though the play wasn't there. He should have called an audible but that's not how these kids are dealing with the plays Hurley calls for them. Same with the timeouts and trying to get the ball to Josh when they shouldn't because he's being doubled.

This is early in the season. The team has made immense progress and you yourself have indicated several times it won't be until next year when we'll really see what Dan can do when he has all his players. Right now he doesn't have the confidence for them to make audibles so he's calling the plays after time outs. I expect that to change as the season progresses.
I'll say it again, if you think Hurley drew up a play for Vital to dribble at the three poiht line and hoist up a long three off the dribble with a hand in his face I don't know what to tell you.

Feels like I'm wasting my time here.

Reaction Score
And I said Hurley at the end of regulation chose defense over offense and did not have Bouknight in the game. At the end of the second OT Bouknight took himself out of the game. What time are you talking about?

I think Bouk was in the game for the last 18 seconds of regulation?

Reaction Score
And again you're wrong, Bouknight was on the floor the final possession of regulation.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think Bouk was in the game for the last 18 seconds of regulation?
Yes he was. And Gilbert took the shot but I believe Bouknight passed the ball to Gilbert instead of taking an open three when he had an opportunity just prior. I could be wrong. Will have to see the replay.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And again you're wrong, Bouknight was on the floor the final possession of regulation.
I was referring only to the point in time regarding CV's shot 52 seconds at the end of regulation with the team up three. You were critical of that play in the prior post. I was upset with it but looking back it was a good call that failed.

At 19 seconds UConn with the ball Hurley subbed Bouk for Adams for a last play option with the game tied. Again the right coaches call. Bouk had an opportunity to make a 3 and opted out of it making an awkward pass back to Alterique who had to scramble to get a shot up.

The play call was for Bouk who didn't feel comfortable to take the shot.

Reaction Score
Yes he was. And Gilbert took the shot but I believe Bouknight passed the ball to Gilbert instead of taking an open three when he had an opportunity just prior. I could be wrong. Will have to see the replay.

I don’t believe he even passed it but I’m old so don’t quote me. I didn’t think it ever left AGs possession?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don’t believe he even passed it but I’m old so don’t quote me. I didn’t think it ever left AGs possession?
I'm older. Was at the game with a lot of distractions.

So I decide to go to the ESPN app. I started play at 52 seconds before end of regulation, get to 21 seconds end of regulation with Marshall making the tying three and about to watch that last play when the app booted me. LOL. We'll have to wait until they put it up for replay to see if there was an opportunity or not for Bouk.

Reaction Score
CV wants to be the Highlight hero so bad. It seems like he thinks he has the right to take the big shots even if everybody knows his shot is not on. It’s obvious, look at how he is always talking smack at opponents bench and flexing his muscles after a basket even if we are down 10. In his mind he wants to be the man, a UCONN hero and take and make big 3’s like Bazz but he does not have the talent. CV can not play within himself when there is a hero ball moment. If anyone shot take a big 3 late in the game it should be Polly as much as I hate to admit it.

His attempt to make a “dagger” shot cost us the game in regulation.

Oh one last point. Do not think for one second CV does not know at all times how many 3’s he needs to make to be Uconn all time leader.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom