I don't watch the football a lot. Is Diaco this bad? | The Boneyard

I don't watch the football a lot. Is Diaco this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That timeout with clock stopped which leads to review and then run out of time?

3 straight times run previous drive when Shirrefs was red hot!

it and clueless stuff. Really disappointed!!!

it Big Ten conservative call on that second to last drive. Kids deserved to win. Shirrefs was awesome! Coaching sucked, glad Randy Cross was relentless on calling him out. Kids played well enough to win!!!

Reaction Score
17 sec with a time out Navy had to defend the run or pass. OK to run then call time out and try 2 passes, or pass with a play action to hold the defense. You're at the line of scrimmage and waste your time out!!! It should have taken the run off the table for the exact reason what happened, you had to try 2-3 pass plays with QB option to run if it was open. Loss on really bad clutch coaching. If we were in an alignment or had 12 men on the field you still had to eat the penalty to get multiple shots. You can't run with 17 sec and no time outs. Last play with 1 sec after 2 missed passes, ok

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would love to hear evidence to the contrary from someone who has met him, but the more I have seen of him the more I am convinced that he's really, really stupid, and it seems like he basically rose the college football ranks by learning how to talk the talk in a Chance the Gardener kind of way. He speaks in platitudes and seems totally out of touch with reality.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The time out was horrible as was the play call. If your calling a run play do it with a lead back like a lineman who then can open a hole. I would have preferred a option pass/run play with time left if nothing works out.

Reaction Score
Three years of his overly conservative playcalling and disastrous clock management, today was the last straw. His post-game comments are even more depressing to listen to, he still hasn't learned his lesson. From his comments and lack of changing things in the past, this will continue. I feel sick for Shirreffs, he is a warrior and Diaco once again takes the ball out of his hands when it matters most. Stakes are way too high, fire Diaco.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Three years of his overly conservative playcalling and disastrous clock management, today was the last straw. His post-game comments are even more depressing to listen to, he still hasn't learned his lesson. From his comments and lack of changing things in the past, this will continue. I feel sick for Shirreffs, he is a warrior and Diaco once again takes the ball out of his hands when it matters most. Stakes are way too high, fire Diaco.

Overreacting much. I didn't like it either but worlds better than the last coach whose name should remain nameless forever on this board.

Reaction Score
I was disgusted with the results today having watched the last drive but I don't think you fire the coach over one perceived bad game decision. Was he a head coach anywhere before he took this job? He's a little odd, makes some crazy statements and his post game was....curious... at best. But, when you fire a coach you are hitting the reset button pretty much and starting all over. That's probably not the best solution for us at this time.

Reaction Score
Overreacting much. I didn't like it either but worlds better than the last coach whose name should remain nameless forever on this board.
Not overreacting at all. His overly conservative style is incompatible with today's college game and it's compounded by all his mistakes and total clock mismanagement. The only point of being overly conservative is to eliminate all mistakes and to control clock, he fails miserably at both. He's blown it several times before but today was inexcusable, it was the worst coaching I can ever remember seeing at this level and I'm not being hyperbolic. His post game comments show he didn't learn his lesson. Either he has a total inability to accept his responsibilities as head coach or he is just incredibly stupid. Either way, he will continue to make these game losing mistakes.

Reaction Score
I was disgusted with the results today having watched the last drive but I don't think you fire the coach over one perceived bad game decision. Was he a head coach anywhere before he took this job? He's a little odd, makes some crazy statements and his post game was....curious... at best. But, when you fire a coach you are hitting the reset button pretty much and starting all over. That's probably not the best solution for us at this time.
If only it were one, it's happening over and over. If only it was just one today, he screwed the pooch too many times to count. It's year three for crissakes.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not overreacting at all. His overly conservative style is incompatible with today's college game and it's compounded by all his mistakes and total clock mismanagement. The only point of being overly conservative is to eliminate all mistakes and to control clock, he fails miserably at both. He's blown it several times before but today was inexcusable, it was the worst coaching I can ever remember seeing at this level and I'm not being hyperbolic. His post game comments show he didn't learn his lesson. Either he has a total inability to accept his responsibilities as head coach or he is just incredibly stupid. Either way, he will continue to make these game losing mistakes.

You still forget what was here before. Again he screwed up but is leaps and bounds better than the last regime.

UConn should have won but clock management wasn't the only issue today with special teams playing into the loss as well.

I still remember Calhoun taking heat when his first season was done and people saying UConn made a mistake not highering Mitch Buonaguro to be the coach. We know how that worked out.

Reaction Score
Diaco has gotten this team to be able to come back on the road against Navy down 21-0 but bad clock management killed it. He will learn, I think he's a good coach. Great QB performance. Bad clock management happens, remember the Giants last year?

Reaction Score
Diaco has gotten this team to be able to come back on the road against Navy down 21-0 but bad clock management killed it. He will learn, I think he's a good coach. Great QB performance. Bad clock management happens, remember the Giants last year?
The problem is he doesn't learn, it's been going on for 3 years. We got back in the game because we were down by so much and he finally let Shirreffs go shotgun and throw. Once we got the lead he took the ball out of Shirreffs hands and we promptly gave up the lead. Once down and time running out he let Shirreffs throw again and our qb was masterful driving us 80 yards downfield to the one yard line, draining the clock to the perfect amount of time for any normal coach. Once again, Diaco took the ball out of Shirreffs hands and we only got off one play when we should have been able to get off three. He owes every kid on the team an apology for his coaching today.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The problem is he doesn't learn, it's been going on for 3 years. We got back in the game because we were down by so much and he finally let Shirreffs go shotgun and throw. Once we got the lead he took the ball out of Shirreffs hands and we promptly gave up the lead. Once down and time running out he let Shirreffs throw again and our qb was masterful driving us 80 yards downfield to the one yard line, draining the clock to the perfect amount of time for any normal coach. Once again, Diaco took the ball out of Shirreffs hands and we only got off one play when we should have been able to get off three. He owes every kid on the team an apology for his coaching today.
Glad it wasn't just me. I was happy to finally watch a UConn FB game and was about to turn it off after the first quarter but stuck with it. The coaching was pretty bad throughout the game. The play calling that resulted in Navy's last TD was actually the worst.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
You still forget what was here before. Again he screwed up but is leaps and bounds better than the last regime.

UConn should have won but clock management wasn't the only issue today with special teams playing into the loss as well.

I still remember Calhoun taking heat when his first season was done and people saying UConn made a mistake not highering Mitch Buonaguro to be the coach. We know how that worked out.
When the best you can say is that he is slightly not as terrible as the clear cut worst coach in program history; not much of an endorsement.

I can see the entire basketball program cringing at the future due to games like this. More Tulane!!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Please don't ever make the Calhoun comparison to Diaco again. This is Diaco's third season. In Calhoun's second season we won the NIT. In his fourth season we won the Big East, made it to the Elite Eight and he won National Coach of the Year.

Diaco won't be fired for this, but it doesn't mean it's not a terribly dispiriting loss on a number of levels. I'm a casual CFB fan who was supportive of his hire because he seemed to have good energy and a good pedigree, if a bit wacky. I am now convinced that he is an over-matched dunce who does not have the capacity to bring the football program to the next level. He's had a lot of chances to show that he's crazy like a fox. Unfortunately for us, I think he's just dumb.

Reaction Score
Calm down with great QB play. That awful under thrown ball from the end zone cost a TD. The awful fumble cost another TD.

I like Shierffs effort and energy, but great is a little strong.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Diaco jumped into the gene pool when the lifeguard wasn't watching.

Strong like Bear. Smart like tractor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Please don't ever make the Calhoun comparison to Diaco again. This is Diaco's third season. In Calhoun's second season we won the NIT. In his fourth season we won the Big East, made it to the Elite Eight and he won National Coach of the Year.

Diaco won't be fired for this, but it doesn't mean it's not a terribly dispiriting loss on a number of levels. I'm a casual CFB fan who was supportive of his hire because he seemed to have good energy and a good pedigree, if a bit wacky. I am now convinced that he is an over-matched dunce who does not have the capacity to bring the football program to the next level. He's had a lot of chances to show that he's crazy like a fox. Unfortunately for us, I think he's just dumb.
I lean more with @uconnbill in this debate. I'm not into the equating business but I understand bill's reference. The football program is in a rebuild from a disastrous prior running (down) of the program. JC had to rebuild.

If people want to debate how long the periods of rebuild are for the different sports that's one issue. Football takes a lot longer than bb to get the players necessary to fit your system.

I don't think six years is out of the question for football depending on the circumstances. BB can be up and running in 3 years. The difference being you only need two or three impact players in bb to compensate for weak links. Football doesn't have that luxury. And injuries, a problem with both sports are far more likely in football.

Reaction Score
I have a question, is Diaco responsible for the clock and TO's or is an assistant coach supposed to be tuned in to that and wired into Diaco?Offensive coordinator or someone else? It seems to happen to a lot of teams both college and pro.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They were stupid mistakes and those mistakes cost the game. No excuses. But I disagree with you regarding the statement "he doesn't learn". I recognize he has issues with time management. But I've seen a big improvement already in these two games from last season. It's just unfortunate that we end up focusing on the last two sets of downs and not the nuances where improvement has been made from last season.

The last drive in the Maine game which UConn won was all about time management. People overlooked this because Maine should have been an opponent in which time management wasn't necessary. Different issue but people don't give it credit.

The last drive was managed very well from a time standpoint except for the last time out. That's a mistake. No ifs ands and buts about it. But I don't see Diaco as Edsall conservative in any form. I think it's a matter of having a team composed of PP's players that he had to remove all of the bad habits and conditioning and isn't sure all the kinks are removed. So he still micromanages. But he's not a mircro manager imo. Shame people invested in CR take their emotional fears and place it on every failure and mistake he makes. Not implying you john.

Reaction Score
I lean more with @uconnbill in this debate. I'm not into the equating business but I understand bill's reference. The football program is in a rebuild from a disastrous prior running (down) of the program. JC had to rebuild.

If people want to debate how long the periods of rebuild are for the different sports that's one issue. Football takes a lot longer than bb to get the players necessary to fit your system.

I don't think six years is out of the question for football depending on the circumstances. BB can be up and running in 3 years. The difference being you only need two or three impact players in bb to compensate for weak links. Football doesn't have that luxury. And injuries, a problem with both sports are far more likely in football.

I agree and they did come back right? But in all reality and I have to be the pessimist here, they were handed the game back by what will end up being a mediocre Navy team although one that plays hard and is coached well. You do have to like the way the defense adjusted, even with the fumble being lucky. After that, minus the punt return the defense stood its ground fairly well. What scares me is when they get a good offense like Houston and Cincy I feel there will be a bit of swiss cheese going on. In other words he should be throwing the ball on offense a lot more and opening up the game. Again Ive said this all along, that's the game now so if you want to play with the big boys mix it up and get it in the air. They seem to want to still go with the run first to create pass pop's, not going to happen. I think it's tough when the coaching is learning along with the kids. Way too many errors from each side have led to losses the last couple years, in games that could have been won with either the staff or the kids making the right decisions.

All in all, I feel he still has a pass but the window has begun to close with mental errors from him and his staff like yesterday. I mean even the game plan in the opener is beyond belief. Time to man up in the coaches office and let it ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom